Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 03-24-2021, 3:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand Hunter View Post
Hey Bros, what happened to Dale's Clocks and Coins in Antioch, East Bay, big time stash of silver coins usta be for sale there. Its closed, no sign notes etc and the windows are covered over with brown butcher paper. I noticed it closed about two months ago.

Anybody know ?

Psalm 1
Every time I read Antioch, I think of the Holy Hand Grenade...
One, Two, Five, Three!
<Lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grednade of Antioch>
Free stating we will go...
Old 03-25-2021, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmonkey View Post
Gold is in the $1830s about 10% off the summer high here. Inflation is supported to be going higher, commodity prices are supposed to go higher this year, and even with all the election uncertainty, and recent increases in interest rates, gold can’t seem to get past $2000.

I bet a big reason is due to the bitcoin and the stock market rise this past year. I wonder if we can see an increase in gold without seeing drops in BTC and the stock market in general.
I agree that this drop in the price of gold is because of the rise of bitcoin. Most likely it will not be until the summer that the price of gold will start to rise again.

Last edited by williamramirez; 03-28-2021 at 6:59 AM..
Old 04-09-2021, 3:33 AM

I've gone from $0 PM (except for a small coin collection) to about 10% in an IRA (NEM & WPM - mining/streaming stocks) since Dec 2019. Recently bought Barrick (GOLD), a mining stock, in my regular brokerage account. I've doubled my physical coin collection (Dec 2019).

I feel like I'm investing for the apocalypse.

Last edited by vmonkey; 04-09-2021 at 3:44 AM..
Old 04-09-2021, 7:51 AM

Default 10% is a lot

Seems like a lot to me for an IRA. I keep about 2-3% is PSLV; actually bought a bunch more during the "collapse" last year as Covid the market and made out like a bandit selling it for great gains in the summer. I haven't bought back in yet but what I have in the account is all profit now. It should be noted I kept 2% in PSLV for years which was the DOG of my account big time. In hand I've enjoyed 2-1500 orders from JM Bullion but I missed out on the third. A nice GP100 came up that didn't leave me 1500 to order so I passed.

Quote:
I've gone from $0 PM (except for a small coin collection) to about 10% in an IRA (NEM & WPM - mining/streaming stocks) since Dec 2019. Recently bought Barrick (GOLD), a mining stock, in my regular brokerage account. I've doubled my physical coin collection (Dec 2019).

Old 04-09-2021, 1:59 PM

I only have PMs in that one IRA; overall they make up maybe 7-8%. Part of the reason is I had nice growth from NEM last year. But I agree, too much. I'll reevaluate again in the summer and take profits (hopefully).
Old 04-09-2021, 5:18 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I think we have a different understanding of apocalypse.
Try getting funds out of digital during an apocalypse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2
Put you link where your opinion is.
Quote:
Ö A congresswomanís opinion really doesnít matter a whole lot.
Judge Peter Cahill
Old 04-14-2021, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2 View Post
Yeah, I think we have a different understanding of apocalypse.
Try getting funds out of digital during an apocalypse.
Try getting funds out of a gold coin to cover your expenses today (in non-apocalypse times). Property taxes are due! I need to get 3 gold eagles out of the safe, head to my local coin shop during business hours, then deposit the cash in my bank to cover the check. Or maybe I should sell on craigslist so I can keep more of the premium over spot that the coin shop would normally keep. There's always selling ebay; I hope the buyer doesn't contest the sale and screw me. Compare that process to logging into a brokerage account, selling and transferring funds. Or just take some of the accumulated dividends (that mining stocks offer) to pay for smaller expenses.

Physical PMs in large enough quantities to hedge wealth is inconvenient and impractical. And risky. If you are approaching retirement age even a 10% investment in physical PMs would a lot of gold coins and/or silver to store and keep safe. Think of the value of retirement accounts, the equity in your house, and regular savings/brokerage accounts. 10% of these items may be 5 or 10 rolls of gold eagles or more (at $25k per roll) when one is near retirement age. Stick them in a safe? Bury in yard? I wouldn't want to leave my house and have this treasure unguarded let alone go on vacation. I guess travel in my retirement is not an option.

Don't forget there are also investment risks with PMs in general. Over long term PMs hold value. In the shorter term (during one's retirement lifespan), PMs value seems volatile to me.

My apocalypse comment you quoted was an exaggeration, a lame joke. I'm not investing for the end of the world as we know it, a financial collapse, or another even another recession. I just keep investing in mostly stocks &/or bonds and adjust the mix until I retire.

If I were planning for apocalypse, I think land would be my first and largest purchase not physical PMs.

Last edited by vmonkey; 04-14-2021 at 1:39 AM..
Old 04-14-2021, 10:11 AM

If you think gold is hard to liquidate then try doing so with land? The time line for converting gold or silver to cash is more significant then cash, but not so significant its unworthy. Crypto requires power, the internet, and that your wallet isn't hacked. BOTH gold and crypto require a buyer. I don't know who'd want to buy crypto in a crisis? Crypto is the new tulip and some got rich with tulips and some didn't. Yes my little $50 investment into a coinbase wallet is up to $750 wahoo. I'd gladly trade it for Gold.
Old 04-14-2021, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbormaster View Post
If you think gold is hard to liquidate then try doing so with land? The time line for converting gold or silver to cash is more significant then cash, but not so significant its unworthy. Crypto requires power, the internet, and that your wallet isn't hacked. BOTH gold and crypto require a buyer. I don't know who'd want to buy crypto in a crisis? Crypto is the new tulip and some got rich with tulips and some didn't. Yes my little $50 investment into a coinbase wallet is up to $750 wahoo. I'd gladly trade it for Gold.
My land comment related to the apocalypse (financial collapse, plague, zombies)
was to move there and hunker down. Iím in the suburbs... If I was truly worried about a collapse, buying land would be my first step. HarborMaster - you have a boat, right? You could sail away?

RE: holding large amounts of physical metals, enough to hedge your major assets, I just this it is impractical. For an older person nearing retirement, one might have $1M in equity in a house, $1M in a 401k, and $250k in a brokerage. A 10% hedge would be around 9-10 rolls of 1oz Gold Eagles. I personally feel thatís a lot to have in a safe. If there was run away inflation where your other assets became almost worthless, spending the gold would be worth the hassle, of course, but it would be a major pain in the ***. With hyperinflation, youíd probably have to spend all of the dollars you converted from gold the same day or risk further devaluation. What a nightmare this would be...

For crypto, Iím not ready to put money in it myself. I just donít understand (or trust) the exchanges or wallets. I guess I could buy through PayPal, Square, or Robin Hood but that kind of defeats the purpose of Bitcoin and it becomes just an investment (again, which I have little idea why it goes up). Many will have some exposure to Bitcoin through other stock investments. PayPal, Square, or TSLA stock for example.

I need to look into coinbase. If I understand it, you ďearnĒ coins by certain activities?
Old 04-14-2021, 8:26 PM

Coinbase is just a wallet I never earned anything with it the etherum and Bitcoin went up. You can probably get referral gains and those who mine Bitcoin if any still do can have it sent there,

In SHTF or just a really bad economy of rabid inflation or hyper inflation the gold or silver coins themselves will be of great value compared to dollars. Look a lot of people won’t take them. I know that, but more will take them then an encrypted transfer in a digital wallet!

And yes I sail away in a serious crisis.
Old 04-14-2021, 8:28 PM

Quote:
I need to look into coinbase. If I understand it, you ďearnĒ coins by certain activities?
I think your confusing Coinbase with BP's lair.
Old 04-15-2021, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Coinbase is just a wallet I never earned anything with it the etherum and Bitcoin went up. You can probably get referral gains and those who mine Bitcoin if any still do can have it sent there,

In SHTF or just a really bad economy of rabid inflation or hyper inflation the gold or silver coins themselves will be of great value compared to dollars. Look a lot of people wonít take them. I know that, but more will take them then an encrypted transfer in a digital wallet!

And yes I sail away in a serious crisis.
I understand and agree on coins vs crypto. My whole point is investing in PM related stocks is more sensible than physical metal in large amounts.
Old 04-15-2021, 1:42 PM

Default Agree

While I enjoyed phenomenal returns on my silver stock this year because I bought in March and sold late in the summer it is very very very unusual. I usually keep about 2 to 2.5% of my IRA in a silver ETF. The coins I buy are more for SHTF and to buy guns and ammo with in rabid inflation

Quote:
I understand and agree on coins vs crypto. My whole point is investing in PM related stocks is more sensible than physical metal in large amounts.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:41 PM

Iíve been stacking silver. Not much but itís addicting and I believe the price will only go up. Who knows?!
Old 05-19-2021, 6:55 PM

So now that crypto is in a free fall...will the metal bugs come home?
Old 05-25-2021, 11:18 AM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
So now that crypto is in a free fall...will the metal bugs come home?
Gold crested $1,900 today, I think that may be the case.

Canít somebody do something?!?!?!?!
Old 07-21-2021, 9:12 PM

Metals are stagnant despite the inflation cries. Kind of surprised
Old 07-21-2021, 10:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter777 View Post
I’ve been stacking silver. Not much but it’s addicting and I believe the price will only go up. Who knows?!
...The guys and gals that bought at ~$5, and ~$12 to ~$14/OZT know... ... ...
Free stating we will go...

Last edited by the86d; 07-22-2021 at 3:42 AM..
Old 07-22-2021, 8:31 PM

I was able to afford, what will probably be my last, $1500+ JM Bullion order to avoid the sales tax. I feel like I got enough now if SHTF I’m good.
Old 07-23-2021, 1:15 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Anymore I just buy novelty rounds like the Zombucks or something else that amuses me.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:25 PM

The whole Basel 3 and the Fedís conundrum will most likely see gold and silver rise in price. Silver has more of an upside due to its heavy use in tech. Gold and silver has always been money. Hell, I even bought some gold with Bitcoin when it started dropping in price the last few months. I see crypto and metals as a way to diversify my spending and investment options