Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-19-2021, 8:59 PM
Anthony S Anthony S is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 76
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default Question about buying bulk ammo

UPDATE- Found some. No more PM's please
__________________
Anthony

Last edited by Anthony S; 07-25-2021 at 3:08 PM.. Reason: Found Ammo
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-19-2021, 9:24 PM
ar15barrels's Avatar
ar15barrels ar15barrels is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Van Nuys
Posts: 51,231
iTrader: 111 / 100%
Default

You first need a place that will ship to Calufornia.
Here is a list of places that will ship ammo to California:
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...40&postcount=1
Then, you need that place to have inventory to sell.
Check with the places above and see what you can find available.
Then you need a local dealer to accept the ammo for you and transfer it to you.
__________________
Randall Rausch

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-19-2021, 9:30 PM
Anthony S Anthony S is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 76
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
You first need a place that will ship to Calufornia.
Here is a list of places that will ship ammo to California:
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...40&postcount=1
Then, you need that place to have inventory to sell.
Check with the places above and see what you can find available.
Then you need a local dealer to accept the ammo for you and transfer it to you.
Thanks. Seems like a bigger hassle than just running around trying to find some locally. Or even without a certain radius.
__________________
Anthony
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-19-2021, 10:26 PM
Garbcollector Garbcollector is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 478
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

Go to targetsportsusa get on their email list. They have a list of ffl in your area that will accept the shipment. I've used them many times with no issues.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-19-2021, 10:35 PM
Anthony S Anthony S is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 76
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbcollector View Post
Go to targetsportsusa get on their email list. They have a list of ffl in your area that will accept the shipment. I've used them many times with no issues.
Thanks. Just signed up for the email list. And one of the dealers is 5 minutes from my house
__________________
Anthony
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-19-2021, 11:00 PM
tradecraft tradecraft is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 3,830
iTrader: 291 / 100%
Default

Define bulk

edit: nevermind

Last edited by tradecraft; 07-19-2021 at 11:06 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-19-2021, 11:04 PM
Anthony S Anthony S is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 76
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradecraft View Post
Define bulk
For my current situation bulk would be anything more than 1. I dont need 1000 rounds but I'd like 200-250 rounds of target ammo.
__________________
Anthony
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-20-2021, 3:55 AM
Unit74 Unit74 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Georgia-Free America
Posts: 2,268
iTrader: 37 / 100%
Default

Thatís not bulk, itís 5 boxes. Just buy local, bruh. Itís around, look harder.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-20-2021, 6:23 AM
Calamity Sue Calamity Sue is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 6,862
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

My local BP had 350 round Rem Bucks of 9mm yesterday for a ridiculous $220. But they were there, along with the most 223/556 ammo I've ever see in one place.
__________________
Actually Sue's Husband
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-20-2021, 7:23 AM
tabascoz28's Avatar
tabascoz28 tabascoz28 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 2,403
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

I was excited to see some at pre pandemic prices, steel case stuff, but they wouldn't ship to CA. It's almost back to normal times. Ha ha
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-20-2021, 8:05 AM
Anthony S Anthony S is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 76
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit74 View Post
Thatís not bulk, itís 5 boxes. Just buy local, bruh. Itís around, look harder.
I guess where you live its available on every corner but around here its a little hard to come by. If I could find it local I wouldnt have even posted.
__________________
Anthony
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-20-2021, 8:19 AM
JC2020 JC2020 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 490
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Maybe save up a bit and buy in bulk online to make it worth your while? Waiting a month will probably mean better prices, too, as the cost of ammo has been going down. For example, you can get a case (20 boxes) of 9mm FMJ brass ammo for $380 online right now, plus DROS and FFL fees. Buying 5 boxes at a time will definitely cost significantly more over time.

Wait another month, and you might get down to 32-35cpr online. Buying a case means you have fewer fees over time, too.

Prices are high, unfortunately. But far better than up to a $1 per round for 9mm earlier this year.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-20-2021, 8:24 AM
Anthony S Anthony S is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 76
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2020 View Post
Maybe save up a bit and buy in bulk online to make it worth your while? Waiting a month will probably mean better prices, too, as the cost of ammo has been going down. For example, you can get a case (20 boxes) of 9mm FMJ brass ammo for $380 online right now, plus DROS and FFL fees. Buying 5 boxes at a time will definitely cost significantly more over time.

Wait another month, and you might get down to 32-35cpr online. Buying a case means you have fewer fees over time, too.

Prices are high, unfortunately. But far better than up to a $1 per round for 9mm earlier this year.
I just picked up my gun yesterday and would like to get some rounds through it. I've got about 50 left but that won't last long. If I can find a bulk quantity for a good price I'll grab it. But I don't want to wait a month for ammo. I went to 4 different places and nobody had anything. Granted it wasn't every store in town but I didn't have time yesterday. I'm going to try some shops a little further out of my area today and see what I can come up with.
__________________
Anthony
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-20-2021, 8:27 AM
DArBad DArBad is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 2,593
iTrader: 13 / 100%
Default

OP, I see you are in Sacramento. Have you checked River City Gun Exchange?? Its been over 2 years since I was last there but from my memory, they have " plenty " of stocks. Things may have changed though.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-20-2021, 8:29 AM
Anthony S Anthony S is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 76
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DArBad View Post
OP, I see you are in Sacramento. Have you checked River City Gun Exchange?? Its been over 2 years since I was last there but from my memory, they have " plenty " of stocks. Things may have changed though.
I haven't but that is one of the shops on my list. They are out of my direct area but there are a few over in that part of town I plan to hit today.
__________________
Anthony
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-20-2021, 8:38 AM
tony270's Avatar
tony270 tony270 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: High Desert
Posts: 3,349
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

This site is legit, and you can call the local Big5, ask what day does the ammunition get delivered, also ask can you call to check the availability the day before, then go a couple hours before opening, some will start selling at 8 am, 2 hours before opening.

https://www.ammunitiondepot.com/288-9mm
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-20-2021, 8:45 AM
metalhead metalhead is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North CAL
Posts: 747
iTrader: 40 / 100%
Default

You can buy from private sellers on Calguns 500 rounds at a time . Redline Ballistics in Rancho Cordova only charges $5 for transfer fee . Buying from private parties is still cheaper than the OTD price at the local stores.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-20-2021, 8:52 AM
Anthony S Anthony S is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 76
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony270 View Post
This site is legit, and you can call the local Big5, ask what day does the ammunition get delivered, also ask can you call to check the availability the day before, then go a couple hours before opening, some will start selling at 8 am, 2 hours before opening.

https://www.ammunitiondepot.com/288-9mm
Was actually looking at their site last night. Was curious if they were OK to deal with. Thanks for confirming
__________________
Anthony
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-20-2021, 8:53 AM
Anthony S Anthony S is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 76
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead View Post
You can buy from private sellers on Calguns 500 rounds at a time . Redline Ballistics in Rancho Cordova only charges $5 for transfer fee . Buying from private parties is still cheaper than the OTD price at the local stores.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually didn't think about that. I just looked and did see some available. I was planning to go to Redline today anyway and see what they had available. Didn't have time to make it to that area yesterday
__________________
Anthony
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-20-2021, 8:58 AM
metalhead metalhead is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North CAL
Posts: 747
iTrader: 40 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony S View Post
Actually didn't think about that. I just looked and did see some available. I was planning to go to Redline today anyway and see what they had available. Didn't have time to make it to that area yesterday

Redline has great customer service . I used to buy bulk (2K -5K) from them before 2020. Hope they now have 9mm avail for you .


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-20-2021, 9:58 AM
joepamjohn's Avatar
joepamjohn joepamjohn is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Land of the lost
Posts: 2,557
iTrader: 54 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony S View Post
Since it seems next to impossible to find a store with 9mm on hand in my area Ive started to considering buying some bulk online. I know the rules just changed on July 1st so what do I need to know before attempting this? And can anyone recommend a legit site?
Kittles in Colusa had a bunch a few weeks back. $85.00 per box of regular aluminum case Blazer. Finding local should not be a problem. Finding reasonably priced local is another story.
__________________
"You can't handle the truth"
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-20-2021, 10:02 AM
pythonfan pythonfan is online now
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mountain view
Posts: 1,659
iTrader: 91 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony S View Post
For my current situation bulk would be anything more than 1. I dont need 1000 rounds but I'd like 200-250 rounds of target ammo.
So media jargon for bulk. Got it. Yeah buy locally if only wanting a few boxes of ammo.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-20-2021, 10:08 AM
Barang's Avatar
Barang Barang is offline
His Glorious Reappearing
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Temporary here on earth
Posts: 6,115
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

check out private ammo for sale section.
__________________
Heb 9:27 "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgement."

A child educated only at school is an uneducated child. ~ George Santayana

A country without a memory is a country of madmen. ~ George Santayana
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-20-2021, 10:27 AM
Mr. Blue's Avatar
Mr. Blue Mr. Blue is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Shasta County, CA
Posts: 2,254
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony S View Post
For my current situation bulk would be anything more than 1. I dont need 1000 rounds but I'd like 200-250 rounds of target ammo.
Correction, you do need more than 1000. Prime example would be your current situation. Purchasing online isnít difficult or complicated. I have done it many times. The accepting local FFL that will be conducting your transfer can charge whatever they want, so you may want to call around and figure that out first. Also, not all vendors will ship to CA in the first place.
__________________
New Video 1911 Grips. Plz Subscribe if you have a moment.
https://youtube.com/channel/UCkuooKuOI4gEGqtWTFfy56w
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-20-2021, 10:37 AM
Anthony S Anthony S is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 76
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead View Post
Redline has great customer service . I used to buy bulk (2K -5K) from them before 2020. Hope they now have 9mm avail for you .


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They actually had quite a bit in stock. I was able to pick up 500 rounds. Little pricey but I didnt have to ship or pay any extra fees.
__________________
Anthony
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-20-2021, 10:41 AM
Anthony S Anthony S is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 76
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blue View Post
Correction, you do need more than 1000. Prime example would be your current situation. Purchasing online isnít difficult or complicated. I have done it many times. The accepting local FFL that will be conducting your transfer can charge whatever they want, so you may want to call around and figure that out first. Also, not all vendors will ship to CA in the first place.
It doesnt hurt to have more obviously but I just wanted enough to be able to put a decent amount of rounds through it. Plus I cant afford 1000 rounds at the moment. Im new to guns really and have never ordered online. Once you do it Im sure its a piece of cake but I still need to learn the ropes.

I was able to grab 500 rounds this morning. Its from a shop in a area I havent been able to get to in a bit but I made the time this morning and it paid off.
__________________
Anthony
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-20-2021, 10:50 AM
brianm767's Avatar
brianm767 brianm767 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Clovis, Ca
Posts: 2,396
iTrader: 48 / 100%
Default

I've been buying lots of 9MM from Target sports. I have my C&R and COE so I have it shipped to my house.

I joined the target sports club, it did cost $90 a year, but it gives you a discount on ammo purchases and it gives free shipping on all orders. I've already made that back on shipping in the last month.

If any one orders lots of ammo or wants to have C&R Rifles sent straight to their house. I highly recommend getting a C&R and COE. Total cost was $121 and both took less than one month to get. And your exempt from the 1 in 30 purchase restriction.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-20-2021, 4:01 PM
BigPimping's Avatar
BigPimping BigPimping is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Norcal. East Bay.
Posts: 19,384
iTrader: 59 / 100%
Default

You should have been around when we could order it and have it delivered through the mail to our house.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-20-2021, 7:49 PM
naz naz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 2,005
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony S View Post
They actually had quite a bit in stock. I was able to pick up 500 rounds. Little pricey but I didnt have to ship or pay any extra fees.
Congrats

My $0.02, get 2k and take a 3 day class and go from there !
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-20-2021, 7:52 PM
Full Clip's Avatar
Full Clip Full Clip is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hoboken, NJ (Escapee #655321)
Posts: 10,351
iTrader: 48 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony S View Post
Thanks. Seems like a bigger hassle than just running around trying to find some locally. Or even without a certain radius.
That's all part of their plan.
__________________
ďPolitical tags ó such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth ó are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.Ē ó Robert A. Heinlein

ďIt does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's mindsĒ ó Samuel Adams
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 07-21-2021, 9:58 PM
Anthony S Anthony S is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 76
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by naz View Post
Congrats

My $0.02, get 2k and take a 3 day class and go from there !

Ill get more as I can afford it. The 500 rounds was a bit more than I should have spent but I wanted to make sure I had enough to last me a little while. I do plan to take classes and eventually my CCW.
__________________
Anthony
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-22-2021, 6:40 AM
beanz2's Avatar
beanz2 beanz2 is online now
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10,344
iTrader: 36 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony S View Post
For my current situation bulk would be anything more than 1. I dont need 1000 rounds but I'd like 200-250 rounds of target ammo.
For range ammo, “bulk” used to be counted in crates.

Wait a bit if you can, it’s coming down. Unless you have a class scheduled.
__________________

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-22-2021, 8:08 AM
admitriy's Avatar
admitriy admitriy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Placer County
Posts: 35
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony S View Post
Since it seems next to impossible to find a store with 9mm on hand in my area Ive started to considering buying some bulk online. I know the rules just changed on July 1st so what do I need to know before attempting this? And can anyone recommend a legit site?
Rocklin "Bass Pro Shops" almost every Sunday gets good amount of 9mm ammo.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-24-2021, 12:13 AM
Anthony S Anthony S is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 76
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by admitriy View Post
Rocklin "Bass Pro Shops" almost every Sunday gets good amount of 9mm ammo.
I ended up getting 500 rounds from Redline Balistics earlier this week.
__________________
Anthony
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-24-2021, 1:55 PM
admitriy's Avatar
admitriy admitriy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Placer County
Posts: 35
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony S View Post
I ended up getting 500 rounds from Redline Balistics earlier this week.
Can I ask you what did you get and how much?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-24-2021, 2:07 PM
rodralig's Avatar
rodralig rodralig is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Rowland Heights
Posts: 3,056
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

I have a friend that just got 1K factory CCI Blazer Brass 115gr online and was shipped to an LGS. $10 transfer fee plus tax amounted to 42cpr. All within one week.


_
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-24-2021, 6:18 PM
Anthony S Anthony S is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 76
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by admitriy View Post
Can I ask you what did you get and how much?
Thanks.
I cant remember what brand it is. I'll check later. Just some 115 grain target rounds. It's was $299 for 500 rounds. Probably a little on the high side but it was in stock and didn't have to order it.
__________________
Anthony
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:26 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2021, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.



Seams2SewBySusy

Tactical Pants Tactical Boots Military Boots 5.11 Tactical