Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-19-2019, 6:13 PM

If you don't mind the drive, I recommend Triple A sports in Vallejo.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:42 PM

Triple A in Vallejo or Canyon Sports in Martinez
Old 01-22-2019, 6:14 PM

Reed's for buying and for range....and lots of guns to rent out.
Sportsmans Warehouse for ammo.

I concur with previous posters...its weird that TargetMasters post up a sign, we're too busy to sell guns, so don't ask. Lol. A gun store that doesn't care about selling.
Old 01-22-2019, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peahi2 View Post
Reed's for buying and for range....and lots of guns to rent out.
Sportsmans Warehouse for ammo.

I concur with previous posters...its weird that TargetMasters post up a sign, we're too busy to sell guns, so don't ask. Lol. A gun store that doesn't care about selling.
I swear KFC has better employees.
Old 01-22-2019, 8:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911GT3 View Post
I swear KFC has better employees.
There is actually a Jack In The Box on Mission and Las Palmas that is amazing! The employees speak clear English, and always ask if I want sauce. They also tell me to have a good day.

CA DOJ BOF stance on modifying handguns only applies to dimensionally compliant bolt-action single-shot pistols and dimensionally compliant break-open single-shot pistols.
^It does not apply to revolvers, manually operated repeating pistols, and semi-auto pistols." ~~ Quiet
Old 01-22-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911GT3 View Post
BAGV prices are a tad higher but their service is outstanding. Staff is knowledgeable and the owner is a cool dude.

BAGV is a great store. I also like Metal Dog tactical in San Jose.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:19 PM

I made a purchase and it lived up to everything in this thread. TM completely ignored me, and I was brushed off repeatedly, while Reed's was knowledgeable, friendly, they even chatted with me after the purchase since it slowed down by then. Reed's had a line, and for better or for worse, new purchases take precedent over PPTs, so I got through the line quickly.

There was a 100$ price difference on the pistol between the two, but with the free range coupon and a receipt I had for a try and buy, it was more like 65$, but honestly the 100$ would have been worth it on principal of being treated like a customer instead of a nuisance.

Metal Dog is always great for PPT, lowers, and "where did that darn AR spring go?" I think only Gun Exchange in South SJ has a rivaling AR parts selection, but that place is a whole other can of worms.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Metal Dog has always been a great shop in the South Bay. I can tell you what shop is the worst.. Sportsman Supply off of Camdem avenue in Campbell. Worst place ever, I was told by an employee there if I ever want to do another PPT go to another place and don't come back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Mach1 View Post
Z gets around. lol
Old 01-24-2019, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy80176 View Post
Triple A in Vallejo
Old 01-24-2019, 6:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Reed's prices are a little higher than most, but their staff are great and you get a free range session, or two if they know you!! I chose to support them even if it costs me a few bucks.
Old 01-24-2019, 6:56 PM

Sportsman's Arms - Petaluma
Triple A's - Vallejo
Old 01-24-2019, 7:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boopiejones View Post
In no particular order:

Elite armory in Castro valley
City arms in pleasant hill
Doms and J&R (both in Livermore)
Doms and J&r in livermore have been getting 98 % of my business since I turned 18 almost 40 now . Bonus they are 5 mins from each other if you hit every light. Added Bonus J&Rs could teach a class on Paper work 10 mins . Doms is also very quick . Ppt and Pickups never a issue or wait.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:13 AM

Prepare to spend 2-3 hrs if you buy at target master. I won’t go this shop for new purchase or transfer.

Couple years ago, my friend was selling a SSE gun to me. The rep treated us like criminal. “Where you got this illegal gun and how you got it....blah blah blah” We kept saying the gun was legal for it was properly transferred and paper work. What an ***.

2 months ago, I tried to pick up the CZ TS. Same **** and same attitude. Won’t tell me how many stock they had, couldn’t even able to rack the slide before paying. I must buy the one from counter etc..., that kind of ****. I ran and ended up purchased online, sent to mount pleasant arms to transfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2019, 3:34 PM

I have always had a good experience with Target Masters in Milpitas. Friendly and courteous. Their selection and prices a good. Resently, I purchased a firearm from Sportsmen Wherehouse in Milpitas. They are also friendly and have good prices but their selection in pistols is limited, however, their selection in sporting rifles and shotguns is spot-on.

Last edited by gsparesa; 01-25-2019 at 5:24 PM..
Old 01-25-2019, 4:17 PM
Veteran Member

UGImports and done.

CA DOJ BOF stance on modifying handguns only applies to dimensionally compliant bolt-action single-shot pistols and dimensionally compliant break-open single-shot pistols.
^It does not apply to revolvers, manually operated repeating pistols, and semi-auto pistols." ~~ Quiet
Old 01-26-2019, 7:50 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I would vote for Eddy's in Mt. View, then Bay Area Gun Vault. I have had good experiences with both. Eddy's does have more of a drop in chat while you wait vibe. In most south bay stores, there is going to be some wait, at Eddy's you don't mind so much. But both places have been easy to deal with.

Reeds, I used to do stuff there, and I shoot at the range a lot. But the sales side gets a bit too crowded and it seems their inventory has narrowed a bit.

Recently went to US Firearms in Sunnyvale. They were working out their permit renewal, but had a chance to discuss something I was looking at and was able to pick his mind. Great experience.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:40 AM

Not had a bad experience with Target Masters Milpitas, went once to Reed's Santa Clara and its a winner for me. As a relatively newbie just started shooting and owning 2 firearms under 2 years, i had a malfunction on my Advantage Arms .22 lr kit on my Glock 20sf, i believe its a failure to extract. Everybody from the staff to the other shooters was very helpful and patient. Now i am lot more confident and proficient with my Glock, i learned a lot that day from them. I also like their large tables in front of you to put your equipment. So far these 2 are the only ranges i have visited, but my vote goes to Reeds as it is closer to me (San Jose) and that one day won me over.
Old 01-28-2019, 8:06 AM

Jesus, why? It's basically pure profit for the shops, especially given how much some of them charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z ME FLY View Post
Metal Dog has always been a great shop in the South Bay. I can tell you what shop is the worst.. Sportsman Supply off of Camdem avenue in Campbell. Worst place ever, I was told by an employee there if I ever want to do another PPT go to another place and don't come back.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:33 PM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

Dom's was probably the friendliest shop I've ever been to.

I've never seen a selection quite like that of sportsmans arms in Petaluma. Literally like a Hamas arms Depot.

Hook line & sinker in Oakley is near my house, and they seem to have a pretty good selection of stuff. I just bought an sd9ve there for less than I would have paid on the internet.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DChartier View Post
Jesus, why? It's basically pure profit for the shops, especially given how much some of them charge.
I've heard their cut is pretty small for the amount of time it can take out of their day.

That being said, it's part of being an FFL, and they don't need to be jerks about it.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:12 PM

SC Guns and Mount Pleasant Arms along with RMB for southbay area
Old 02-14-2019, 11:39 PM

Peninsula Guns and Tactical. At 360 El Camino in San Bruno (accross the steet from the Honda dealer. A small shop with a good selection and prices. They are very polite and efficient. Second time in, and after watching how they treat people, I bought my 1st revolver from them. 650-588-8886
Old 02-15-2019, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
Peninsula Guns and Tactical. At 360 El Camino in San Bruno (accross the steet from the Honda dealer. A small shop with a good selection and prices. They are very polite and efficient. Second time in, and after watching how they treat people, I bought my 1st revolver from them. 650-588-8886
I purchased many firearms from them before. Pleasant experience. It does get busy in there.
Old 02-15-2019, 7:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimping View Post
Dom's was probably the friendliest shop I've ever been to.

I've never seen a selection quite like that of sportsmans arms in Petaluma. Literally like a Hamas arms Depot.

Hook line & sinker in Oakley is near my house, and they seem to have a pretty good selection of stuff. I just bought an sd9ve there for less than I would have paid on the internet.
Dom's is a great place! If they had more selection, it would be a fantastic place! J&R would go out of business-They're o.k., but leave a little to be desired on the CS side of things.

You bought an SD9VE? I think your eyesight just took a turn for the worse. Better call that eye doctor again!!!
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 02-16-2019, 6:32 AM
Veteran Member

I like the used gun selection at AAA Vallejo.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member

I have purchased a lot of guns from Canyon Sports in Martinez. I think the street they are on is named Howe.

They had the lowest price on Glock and PX4 pistols for a long time, but I have not been in there for about a year. Sometimes the guy is really cool, and other times he cannot be cool.

They have a large selection of high dollar 1911 pistols and carbon fiber barreled rifles.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.
Old 03-02-2019, 6:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvg2151 View Post
Triple A in Vallejo or Canyon Sports in Martinez
Triple A is GTG

Canyon can kiss my @ss.

*** In comparing the virtues of various calibers, using hollow point ammo: it is absolutely undeniable that, while a 9 mm or .40 S&W may or may not expand, a .45 will never shrink. ***

***Mature Up***