Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2021, 9:29 AM

Question Removing spouse as joint registrant from BB-RAWs?

My wife and I are both in agreement that we should remove her name as a joint registrant of my bullet button registered assault weapons. I am the primary registrant.

What is the process for making that happen? Is it as simple as her filling out and submitting a BOF 4546? Or is there a way to do it through her CFARS account?
Old 04-09-2021, 11:01 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by glug View Post
My wife and I are both in agreement that we should remove her name as a joint registrant of my bullet button registered assault weapons. I am the primary registrant.

What is the process for making that happen? Is it as simple as her filling out and submitting a BOF 4546? Or is there a way to do it through her CFARS account?
It is not possible.

The current deregistraion process requires the firearm to be rendered into a non-assault weapon or transferred to a CA FFL dealer with an assault weapons permit or transferred through an out-of-state FFL dealer or surrendered to law enforcement for destruction or moved to another State due to the registered owner becoming a resident of that State.

Currently, the only process for a joint registrant to be removed from an active RAW record, is for the joint registrant to move to another State and become a resident of that State.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 04-09-2021 at 11:05 AM..
Old 04-09-2021, 12:05 PM

What are people supposed to do in the event of a divorce then? If one person wants to keep them, do both joint registrants need to stay on it?
Old 04-09-2021, 12:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I’d contract the DOJ via email.

You absolutely need a paper trail.

There is a no longer in possession of form that spouse could complete.

Before I would do that, I would email the DOJ

I’m also not sure they will reply

My doj experience is they reply and ask for your phone #
Then they never call

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 04-09-2021, 12:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
What are people supposed to do in the event of a divorce then? If one person wants to keep them, do both joint registrants need to stay on it?
They do nothing in the event of a divorce.

The "Registration" of an Assault Weapon is unrelated to the "Ownership" of the weapon.

In the event of a divorce, the laws of the state will determine who gets ownership of the Assault Weapon. The only "benefit" that the non-owning former spouse retains from the joint registration is the ability to possess it under the conditions listed in the Assault Weapon statute.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
It is not possible.

The current deregistraion process requires the firearm to be rendered into a non-assault weapon or transferred to a CA FFL dealer with an assault weapons permit or transferred through an out-of-state FFL dealer or surrendered to law enforcement for destruction or moved to another State due to the registered owner becoming a resident of that State.

Currently, the only process for a joint registrant to be removed from an active RAW record, is for the joint registrant to move to another State and become a resident of that State.
OK. So, because both my wife and I moved to Idaho and became Idaho residents, we can have our joint RBBAW registrations removed? Would it help if I sent CADOJ their BBs with a note that they are suppositories? If I am correctly following CADOJ regulations, removal and replacement of their BBs with standard mag releases should have automatically transformed them into unregistered status.
Old 04-09-2021, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD427 View Post
They do nothing in the event of a divorce.

The "Registration" of an Assault Weapon is unrelated to the "Ownership" of the weapon.

In the event of a divorce, the laws of the state will determine who gets ownership of the Assault Weapon. The only "benefit" that the non-owning former spouse retains from the joint registration is the ability to possess it under the conditions listed in the Assault Weapon statute.
I guess the question is less about ownership and more about liability. What if the former spouse gives up any ownership interest and simply no longer wants their name attached to something like a BB-RAW that is no longer in their possession? Are you saying that is simply not possible?
Old 04-09-2021, 2:00 PM

Old 04-09-2021, 2:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
I guess the question is less about ownership and more about liability. What if the former spouse gives up any ownership interest and simply no longer wants their name attached to something like a BB-RAW that is no longer in their possession? Are you saying that is simply not possible?
I'm not familiar with DOJ's administrative policies on the question. There is nothing in statute that permits such a change in documentation.

As to the "having name attached to..." issue, you gotta remember that the Automated Firearms System is maintains historical records of firearms transactions. It is not a current registry. All the AFS tells someone is that on date XX, a particular person(s) registered an Assault Weapon. That's all it says.
Old 04-09-2021, 2:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
I’d contract the DOJ via email.
Contact them often via phone. Each answer you get will be different. Keep calling until you get the answer you want.
Old 04-09-2021, 2:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJ475 View Post
OK. So, because both my wife and I moved to Idaho and became Idaho residents, we can have our joint RBBAW registrations removed? Would it help if I sent CADOJ their BBs with a note that they are suppositories? If I am correctly following CADOJ regulations, removal and replacement of their BBs with standard mag releases should have automatically transformed them into unregistered status.
No can do...

If you want to update a historical record all that will do is give Cal DOJ your new address.

Do nothing. If you're out of Ca F them. CA laws no longer apply to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 04-09-2021, 5:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Once you move to Idaho, you and wife's registrations make no difference to your new state, and you can remove the California stupidity parts and get back to having normal guns. You no longer need to worry about or conform to CADOJ's regulations.

Not sure if California transforms them into unregistered status, but no f's given once you're in a very free state.

Welcome to Idaho.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran
Old 04-10-2021, 5:07 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
OK. So, because both my wife and I moved to Idaho and became Idaho residents, we can have our joint RBBAW registrations removed?
Yes, however, deregistration due to becoming a resident of another State does not erase/eliminate the firearm's registration info, it just removes the RAW status and updates the database with your new out-of-state contact info (address, phone number, etc).

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).