Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 04-14-2019, 12:08 AM

Default Which magazine works the best for Ruger Scout Rifle?

I have read several reviews and it seems like the consensus that the 5 rd or 3 rd magazines, factory ones, don't work well. Most reviews of the 10rd OEM work well. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks
Old 04-14-2019, 11:51 PM

I have had good luck with the polymer 10 round mags. The factory metal 10 round mags have a slight wobble in my rifle. Plus the cost of the factory metal mags are close to $50. The polymer I believe are around $30 and come with the dust cover. I have never tried the 3/5 round mags.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:15 AM

Alpha ten round mags work the best IME, then the Ruger poly mags. The original mag was so bad it sent me down the rabbit hole. I then ended up with Impact Gun's bottom metal with a larger trigger guard for use with gloves, and an extended mag release. The mag fit is snug as it should've been from the beginning. BTW, the Alpha ten round mags hold 11 rounds easily and will hold 12 if you push it.
Old 04-15-2019, 8:10 AM

Ah, where to start with this one......
IMO (as owner of three GSR's), the consensus among many is that the currently produced factory polymer are much better than older versions in all regards. My personal favorite is the factory metal five-round version, and if I must use a ten round magazine, the Alpha are what go in my belt pouches first. All my other factory magazines (original steel ten round, older poly ten, five, and three round) work very well in all three rifles in stock configuration, so have that for what you will. I am not a believer in changing out the factory bottom metal or the use of extended magazine releases, as for my needs I can see no benefit.
I'm going to drift here a bit, and add that all three of mine are configured without any muzzle devices (only thread protectors), good shooting slings, and optics that can be rapidly removed in the field to use the excellent stock iron sights.
Old 04-15-2019, 9:46 AM
Calguns Addict

The new 110 Scouts use AICS pattern.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splithoof View Post
Ah, where to start with this one......
IMO (as owner of three GSR's), the consensus among many is that the currently produced factory polymer are much better than older versions in all regards. My personal favorite is the factory metal five-round version, and if I must use a ten round magazine, the Alpha are what go in my belt pouches first. All my other factory magazines (original steel ten round, older poly ten, five, and three round) work very well in all three rifles in stock configuration, so have that for what you will. I am not a believer in changing out the factory bottom metal or the use of extended magazine releases, as for my needs I can see no benefit.
I'm going to drift here a bit, and add that all three of mine are configured without any muzzle devices (only thread protectors), good shooting slings, and optics that can be rapidly removed in the field to use the excellent stock iron sights.
The Impact Guns bottom metal works really well when shooting in the snow with gloves. I also installed a Spec Tech trigger and Black River Tactical Covert Comp for range friendliness. I have the Leupold QR low rings and scout scope.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member

The #2 reason why I shied away from the Ruger scout; proprietary mags. No thank you. AICS is the gold standard. Heck even Mossberg had enough sense to design their 7.62 MVP to take PMAGS and M1A mags.
Disclosure/Disclaimer: I do not coddle millennials or OFWGs. The OPINIONS expressed herein are my own personal opinions and are NOT legal advice. Please remember I am just some random guy on the internet so don't get your panties twisted if you dont agree with me.
Old 04-15-2019, 2:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcav View Post
The #2 reason why I shied away from the Ruger scout; proprietary mags. No thank you. AICS is the gold standard. Heck even Mossberg had enough sense to design their 7.62 MVP to take PMAGS and M1A mags.
Been a while since I shot mine, and I have all sorts of magazines for it, but am pretty sure GSR uses the AICS and doesn't MagPul make their own version of? I may be mistaken, and the metal version (whether Ruger or AICS or Accurate stamped) is expensive.

As an aside, 1st thing I did was replace the factory "bottom metal" with a unit from Pacific Tool and Gauge. Sturdy and strong, allows the action screws to be socked down tight without fear of cracking the unit around the screw head holes.
Old 04-15-2019, 4:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
Been a while since I shot mine, and I have all sorts of magazines for it, but am pretty sure GSR uses the AICS and doesn't MagPul make their own version of? I may be mistaken, and the metal version (whether Ruger or AICS or Accurate stamped) is expensive.

As an aside, 1st thing I did was replace the factory "bottom metal" with a unit from Pacific Tool and Gauge. Sturdy and strong, allows the action screws to be socked down tight without fear of cracking the unit around the screw head holes.
Thats really great if it does because the magpul aics mags are awesome.
Disclosure/Disclaimer: I do not coddle millennials or OFWGs. The OPINIONS expressed herein are my own personal opinions and are NOT legal advice. Please remember I am just some random guy on the internet so don't get your panties twisted if you dont agree with me.