Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 11-28-2023, 4:37 PM

Default AR-15 CA Compliance Maglock Kingpin or Juggernaut Hellfighter?

This question is for all the CA compliance owners of an AR-15. Which kit is better and why? The juggernaut hellfighter or the maglock with kingpin (gen 2/4). I am looking to purchase a Daniel Defense RSIII, but it comes with the juggernaut hellfighter. I have been researching and have read some bad reviews on the hellfighter as compared to the maglock kingpin. I am thinking of getting the maglock kingpin and swap the hellfighter out for this one if I end up buying the DD. Is this a good idea or should i just leave the hellfighter as-is?
Old 11-28-2023, 5:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kv386 View Post
This question is for all the CA compliance owners of an AR-15. Which kit is better and why? The juggernaut hellfighter or the maglock with kingpin (gen 2/4). I am looking to purchase a Daniel Defense RSIII, but it comes with the juggernaut hellfighter. I have been researching and have read some bad reviews on the hellfighter as compared to the maglock kingpin. I am thinking of getting the maglock kingpin and swap the hellfighter out for this one if I end up buying the DD. Is this a good idea or should i just leave the hellfighter as-is?

They?re both junk really. I appreciate the companies inventing them as an option here in California, but it?s better to get a Daniel defense with a 16? barrel and go featureless. Otherwise if you?re set on getting the fixed mag, just keep the juggernaut. I had one one my Saint 9mm when purchased, when I brought it home that was the first thing to go.

I have it in a little baggie if anyone wants to pay for the shipping I will send it free to anyone who needs it.
Old 11-28-2023, 6:44 PM
Veteran Member

I hate mag locks. While I do have some rifles at home that have them, the majority of my ARs have a JT California compliant grip and a strike stock stop and a different muzzle break. You should be able to use your rifle in the manner in which the manufacturer made it. All of these go around to keep everybody safe is ****ing ridiculous
Old 11-28-2023, 6:49 PM
Veteran Member

Hogue Freedom Fighter + kingpin
Old 11-28-2023, 8:47 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

AR pistol owners really don't have a choice to not have a maglocked gun. Every single AR rifle I have is featureless.

Old 11-29-2023, 1:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!

My vote is for a Hogue freedom fighter magazine lock with a Juggernaught hellfighter takedown pin.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 11-29-2023, 2:00 AM
Git-R-Done
CGN Contributor

Hogue kit or just go featureless to avoid headaches of maglocks altogether
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassCase View Post
I only buy fireworks from Three Finger Willie over at One Eyed Jack's Fireworks.
iTrader

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1884858
Old 11-29-2023, 4:50 AM

+1 Hogue Freedom Fighter + King Pin
Old 11-29-2023, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwatchdog View Post
They?re both junk really. I appreciate the companies inventing them as an option here in California, but it?s better to get a Daniel defense with a 16? barrel and go featureless. Otherwise if you?re set on getting the fixed mag, just keep the juggernaut. I had one one my Saint 9mm when purchased, when I brought it home that was the first thing to go.

I have it in a little baggie if anyone wants to pay for the shipping I will send it free to anyone who needs it.
i looked into going featureless but that seems even worst than a maglock. Are you able to get a good grip on the handle going featureless?
Old 11-29-2023, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4D View Post
Hogue Freedom Fighter + kingpin
I am looking at the Hogue freedom fighter but this one requires you to drill a hole on your firearm. The Daniel defense that I am interested in is going for $2,300 so I am not sure if I want to start drilling in fear that I messed up?
Old 11-29-2023, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
AR pistol owners really don't have a choice to not have a maglocked gun. Every single AR rifle I have is featureless.
what featureless grip are you running on your ARs?
Old 11-29-2023, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

There are a lot of good ones. The best one I have is the Thordsen stock. Then for just the grip there is the strike industries mega featureless grip, ncstar featureless grip, Monsterman grip and one that I just recently started using is the Juggernaut featureless grip. The juggernaut I would recommend if you have longer fingers, then it would work very well. Mine are shorter and I have to get really high on the grip to reach the trigger how I like. There?s the sparrow grip also, but I?ve not ever used that. The others listed above I have setup on various rifles. All work well really, much better than mag locked.

And if you want, you can buy a Fightlite SCR lower and then just buy the Daniel Defense upper of your choice (16 inch barrel with brake). I have a couple and they work very well.
Old 11-29-2023, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

Ar maglock gen 4 and kingpin

CA DOJ BOF stance on modifying handguns only applies to dimensionally compliant bolt-action single-shot pistols and dimensionally compliant break-open single-shot pistols.
^It does not apply to revolvers, manually operated repeating pistols, and semi-auto pistols." ~~ Quiet
Old 11-29-2023, 3:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I feel that for that price lower. I screwed one up before using a worn out drill. I was able to salvage using JB weld and redoing it. The following 2 were perfect.
Old 11-29-2023, 3:29 PM
@ the Dark End of the Bar
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I?m a big fan of featureless and Sparrow Dynamics grips

https://www.sparrowdynamics.com/Feat...R-p/crg-15.htm

Very comfortable, can be gripped with ?thumb over? or ?thumb along side? (like a shotgun or regular rifle stock).

I like that this (along with no other evil features) allows for normal cap magazines and regular manual of arms when using the rifle.

Last edited by joefrank64k; 11-29-2023 at 5:37 PM..
Old 11-29-2023, 4:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I am looking at the Hogue freedom fighter but this one requires you to drill a hole on your firearm. The Daniel defense that I am interested in is going for $2,300 so I am not sure if I want to start drilling in fear that I messed up?
Have a professional like me do it.
When done correctly, you can unscrew the hogue parts and the gun is otherwise uneffected.
The extra hole does not hurt anything if you ever changed your mind later or moved into a free state.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 11-29-2023, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member

I went with kingpin and maglock v4 for the wife. Check out scr raider for pistol
Old 12-04-2023, 9:38 PM

Featureless. Buy a sheet of kydex for $20 and do every rifle you own. Takes a knife, heatgun, cheap ahrbor freight clamp, and half hour per grip wrap.

"When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe." - Thomas Jefferson

"If we fail to prepare, we prepare to fail."

"They who can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin