Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 11-22-2023, 6:29 PM
Veteran Member

Default Mag-fed, semi-auto shotguns... which one(s) do you like?

Made the switch from pump to semi-auto years ago when semi-auto reliability went up, now making the transition to mag-fed semi-auto. I like the option of switching cartridge types in seconds, and also fast reloading.

Saw an RIA VR series today at SW. Liked the AR-type action, but the triangle grip/buttstock, not so much.

Which mag-fed semi-auto(s) do you like, and why??
Old 11-22-2023, 7:02 PM
retired Goon

From using one in AZ and TN, I like the Molot VEPR-12.
^It's more reliable and smoother than the Izhmash Saiga-12.

However, because of CA assault weapons laws for shotguns, detachable magazines on semi-auto shotguns are a no-go. [PC 30515(a)(7)]

It's faster to load/reload from a fixed tubular magazine, than it is to disassemble the action of an AK style shotgun to load/reload the fixed box magazine.

Detachable magazine fed shotguns are only CA legal for manually operated (bolt-action, lever-action, pump-action) shotguns.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 11-22-2023 at 7:18 PM..
Old 11-22-2023, 7:08 PM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

I have an SRM1216 - it's fun, but extra mags are expensive (i have two total)... and it's not that fast to reload, plus the spare mag is huge (not very practical if you intend to carry a spare - but neither are box mags)... but with 16 rounds at the ready, it's not that big of a deal.

I don't think they are legal in CA (if that's where you are) - but i don't know the legality of detachable box mags either.

It wouldn't be my first, or even 2nd shotgun to grab for defense, but it's fun in the desert

https://srmarms.com/product/best-sem...tgun-srm-1216/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
It only has as much power as you give it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned
I know some things about a lot of things - and a lot of things about some things - but I don't know everything about anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
GET OFF MY CACTUS!
-----------------------------
"RIGHT POWER!"
http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w558/LBDamneds/Misc/III_zpsofbisb36.jpg
Old 11-22-2023, 7:39 PM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

VEPR. That?s the only one that makes any sense to me.
Old 11-22-2023, 8:37 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Magazine fed semi auto shotguns are pointless other than as an awkward to load range toy. Is that what the OP wants? To be California compliant makes it anything but fast loading. Get a Tavor TS-12 or a pump.

Old 11-23-2023, 8:23 AM

Outside California?
Saiga-12, custom furniture and a variable gas plug.
Ready go.
Old 11-23-2023, 8:45 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, sorry guys, I am in a free state now, so most everything is up for grabs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
Magazine fed semi auto shotguns are pointless other than as an awkward to load range toy. Is that what the OP wants? To be California compliant makes it anything but fast loading. Get a Tavor TS-12 or a pump.
I've had a Mossberg 930 SPX and a Beretta 1301 Tactical, and while they are very nice guns, their efficiency breaks down once you're empty. Rounds are stored and reloaded individually, which to me is a huge downside.

If you're heavily into 3-gun or something similar, you can get good at reload speed, but you still have the issue of individual round reloading. I am not interested in investing that much time with a tube fed shotgun.

Mag fed shotgun mags come in 5rd, 10rd, 12-15rd, and 20-21rd sticks and drums. While some of the extended mags are awkward and prohibitive movement-wise, I like the option of having multiple reloads via mag only.

You can have various capacities as well as a variety of loads on hand - birdshot, buckshot, slugs, etc., You then have the option of bailing on what you are shooting in favor of something different, very quickly.
Old 11-23-2023, 9:03 AM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorge Retson View Post

I've had a Mossberg 930 SPX and a Beretta 1301 Tactical, and while they are very nice guns, their efficiency breaks down once you're empty. Rounds are stored and reloaded individually, which to me is a huge downside.

If you're heavily into 3-gun or something similar, you can get good at reload speed, but you still have the issue of individual round reloading. I am not interested in investing that much time with a tube fed shotgun.

Mag fed shotgun mags come in 5rd, 10rd, 12-15rd, and 20-21rd sticks and drums. While some of the extended mags are awkward and prohibitive movement-wise, I like the option of having multiple reloads via mag only.

You can have various capacities as well as a variety of loads on hand - birdshot, buckshot, slugs, etc., You then have the option of bailing on what you are shooting in favor of something different, very quickly.
The SRM 1216 or Tavor TS12 are what you need then.

They do everything you're looking for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
It only has as much power as you give it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned
I know some things about a lot of things - and a lot of things about some things - but I don't know everything about anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
GET OFF MY CACTUS!
"RIGHT POWER!"
http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w558/LBDamneds/Misc/III_zpsofbisb36.jpg
Old 11-27-2023, 2:49 PM
retired Goon

Quote:

FWIW...

Two of my out-of-state friends owned Saiga-12s.

One had it initially for home defense, but then kept it as a range toy.

The other had it for 3-gun competition and it was customized as a gamer gun. He eventually replaced it with a customized VEPR-12, due to the VEPR-12 being more reliable and faster to reload.

The issue that both of them discovered was...
Over time the top (plastic) shotgun shells in fully loaded box magazines would deform over and induce failure to feed stoppages.
^This was the primary reason why my first friend stopped using it for home defense.

This may be one of the reasons why Russian Alpha teams that utilize the Saiga-12K only use brass cased shotgun shells in them.

Side note...
ROK Military training doctrine for USAS-12 was to only load the drums/magazines before going out on missions and to unloaded them after returning to base. This was done as part of the procedure for maintaining the reliability of the drums/magazines.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 11-27-2023, 3:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
FWIW...

Two of my out-of-state friends owned Saiga-12s.

One had it initially for home defense, but then kept it as a range toy.

The other had it for 3-gun competition and it was customized as a gamer gun. He eventually replaced it with a customized VEPR-12, due to the VEPR-12 being more reliable and faster to reload.

The issue that both of them discovered was...
Over time the top (plastic) shotgun shells in fully loaded box magazines would deform over and induce failure to feed stoppages.
^This was the primary reason why my first friend stopped using it for home defense.

This may be one of the reasons why Russian Alpha teams that utilize the Saiga-12K only use brass cased shotgun shells in them.

Side note...
ROK Military training doctrine for USAS-12 was to only load the drums/magazines before going out on missions and to unloaded them after returning to base. This was done as part of the procedure for maintaining the reliability of the drums/magazines.
That's some good info to factor into my decision, thank you.
Old 11-27-2023, 3:49 PM
Calguns Addict

This is what I would go with if allowed in this state

https://www.genesisarms.com/

Or

https://www.typhoondefense.com/

Last edited by 97F1504RAD; 11-27-2023 at 3:54 PM..
Old 11-28-2023, 10:36 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Well you didn't tell us you live in America! The Saigas are cool but often require some finessing to cycle reliably, trigger, etc.

Quote:

Old 11-28-2023, 1:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
Well you didn't tell us you live in America! The Saigas are cool but often require some finessing to cycle reliably, trigger, etc.
What do you think about the Komrad?
Old 11-28-2023, 2:55 PM
Veteran Member

Depends on your budget. If you don't want to spend $1k+ and you can still find one, the lynx 12 is very solid