Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 03-07-2011, 9:24 AM

Default ccw shasta

So I have been told that in my county "Shasta" that you have to take the training class prior to getting approved for your ccw is this legal?
Old 03-07-2011, 9:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff76 View Post
So I have been told that in my county "Shasta" that you have to take the training class prior to getting approved for your ccw is this legal?
If true no it isn't, and this should really be posted in the 2A sub-forum.
Old 03-07-2011, 1:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff76 View Post
In my experience, the applicant is expected to submit their application, submit their training certificate, allow the S/O to inspect the weapons to be included on the license, pay the fees, be fingerprinted and get interviewed all on the same day.

They will not process an application by mail and will not provide a 'approved' or 'denied' determination without completing the whole process. It's 'legal' until someone tells them otherwise. I believe this violates Salute v Pitchess.

This is why it is still important to participate in the sunshine initiative in spite of the perception about Shasta County being a 'friendly' issuing authority.

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 03-15-2011, 12:10 PM

another one week period of silence has elapsed.....
Old 03-20-2011, 10:51 AM

Any local Vets been denied because of PTSD? No, not me or anyone I know, but a thought that popped in my mind.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock6.3 View Post
another one week period of silence has elapsed.....
Yet another week has passed, still just silence since Jan 4, 2011.....

I'm beginning to feel like I wasted my money...

Last edited by Rock6.3; 03-22-2011 at 12:36 PM..
Old 03-24-2011, 3:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Rock, we appreciate your support. Please understand that we have to attack these issues in a specific fashion and with the appropriate timing. There's tons of work behind the scenes preparing requests, demand letters, and litigation that will be published as soon as we can. If you truly feel like the Initiative is not valuable to our cause, I'll be glad to refund your money. However, I think that with some patience you'll find a lot to be excited about.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 03-24-2011, 5:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Yet another week has passed, still just silence since Jan 4, 2011.....

I'm beginning to feel like I wasted my money...
Rock, while this doesn't apply directly to Shasta Co, you should be excited to read about our 3rd CCW federal lawsuit at:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=412790

You can be sure all the sheriffs in CA will be watching these lawsuits and, as wildhawker posted in that thread, start reviewing their policies lest they be next on CGF's federal lawsuit list.
Old 03-25-2011, 6:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
Rock, we appreciate your support. Please understand that we have to attack these issues in a specific fashion and with the appropriate timing. There's tons of work behind the scenes preparing requests, demand letters, and litigation that will be published as soon as we can. If you truly feel like the Initiative is not valuable to our cause, I'll be glad to refund your money. However, I think that with some patience you'll find a lot to be excited about.

-Brandon
PM discussion underway. A refund has NOT been requested.
Old 04-06-2011, 6:32 AM

why do I hear crickets?
Old 04-08-2011, 7:47 AM

Private message sent (again).
Old 04-11-2011, 1:33 PM

Hello darkness my old friend.....

The sounds, of silence.
Old 04-14-2011, 9:32 AM

Shasta County Sheriff talks about CCW in Shasta County:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGFPy...094AC97CFA175B
Old 04-15-2011, 12:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

It's too bad Bosenko has no idea how much his policies violate state law on issuing. He even states in that video that right now they require the training class before the background check. Shasta needs the quick slap as much as any other counties. I tried to watch more of those videos but I can't handle it. Fact is, Bosenko and his deputies hold all the cards, and if they don't like anything about you, they won't issue. You want the CCW, you have to apply their way, pay for it their way, and deal with it their way. I hear about people getting CCWs in Butte county, without so much as a personal interview and no restrictions on the number of guns allowed on a permit. That is how it should be!

Last edited by bigcalidave; 04-15-2011 at 12:46 AM..
Old 04-15-2011, 7:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Shasta County Sheriff talks about CCW in Shasta County:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGFPy...094AC97CFA175B
Un-effing-believable.

Thanks for posting the video here Rock.

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 04-16-2011, 9:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Patience is required. I have a "day job" and we have many wheels in motion. I'm sure that you'd prefer quality and applied strategy over premature motion with little effect.
Old 04-19-2011, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Patience is required. I have a "day job" and we have many wheels in motion. I'm sure that you'd prefer quality and applied strategy over premature motion with little effect.
I do not seek premature motions or little effect.
I have one of those 'day jobs' too.
Please do not take my requests for an update personally, I do not know you, nor do I have issues with you or any other individual here.

I seek a status report. Not daily or weekly, but once per quarter should not be an overwhelming responsibility when CGF has financial donors for this project.

Did the Sheriff provide the records? Did he evade the issue with legal tactics? Did he refuse the request?
Old 04-19-2011, 9:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I do not seek premature motions or little effect.
I have one of those 'day jobs' too.
Please do not take my requests for an update personally, I do not know you, nor do I have issues with you or any other individual here.

I seek a status report. Not daily or weekly, but once per quarter should not be an overwhelming responsibility when CGF has financial donors for this project.

Did the Sheriff provide the records? Did he evade the issue with legal tactics? Did he refuse the request?
I'm going to respond this way: time is precious, and we have little of it. Remember that I'm running the Initiative - that's 58 counties and some cities - which is far more dynamic and involved than we can share, and also taking Hotline issues regularly, as well as researching various legal issues for litigation and crafting strategy. I also have time commitments for my role as a CRPA director, committee chair, and general-purpose member advocate (go ask the President and E.D. if there are any doubts). My clients actually expect me to produce for them (very similar to our strategic litigation, very involved and time-sensitive). My dogs think I don't exist but once a week on Saturday mornings, and my wife...

Can I commit to more [unnecessary] work? Absolutely not. Is this personal? That depends on where you take this conversation. Do understand that we care enough about this stuff to make your liberty a priority over even our own families at times (and in some cases, most times).

Back to Shasta. If you can be patient, we can and will apply our resources to ensuring the County's respect for our fundamental rights and state law. If you can't, then feel free to do whatever you think is best; we'll simply have to wait and see where that puts things.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:33 AM

I took my ccw course through NFI firearms academy here in Redding. the course was the easiest part of the process. After numerous attempts to go to the Shasta County Sheriffs office(i.e. Holidays, Lunchtime, days off, Fridays) I finally got in there on a day they were open. I felt that I would have a harder time then most, due to being younger then most applying for CCW's. After waiting for all the offenders to go through line, I finally reached the window. After a lengthy interview, the sheriff finally gave me permission and told me as long as my background check came up clean, I was good to go. I thought I wouldn't recieve confirmation or denial for months after listening to the older gentleman rant and rave about how his wife recieved her permit in 3 days and it had been 3 months with no response for him. Much to my suprise, my CCW arrived in a little less then 3 weeks time(nearly a month ago). I cant speak for everyone, but I figured I'd share my experience, especially since I felt my chances weren't the best.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:37 AM

I too, am not a fan of the 3 gun limit, especially the part where its $35 to switch guns if you want to change out one of the 3 you have listed.
Old 05-18-2011, 6:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRiseFMX View Post
I too, am not a fan of the 3 gun limit, especially the part where its $35 to switch guns if you want to change out one of the 3 you have listed.
Is that legal? I'm think'n not.
Old 05-18-2011, 9:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Stanislaus View Post
Is that legal? I'm think'n not.

No, it's not legal. Amendments should cost no more than $10.00.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:00 AM

I must apologize, although I was originally told that would be the fee, it seems like Sheriff Bosenko stated otherwise during his Tea Party speech. However, in my defense, that was what I was originally told by the Sheriff's office because I have quite a few handguns and wasnt too fond of trying to pay that amount everytime I felt like carrying an "unlisted" handgun.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitaDeL View Post
PC 12054
(b) In the case of an amended license pursuant to subdivision (f)
of Section 12050, the licensing authority of any city, city and
county, or county may charge a fee, not to exceed ten dollars ($10),
except that the fee may be increased at a rate not to exceed any
increase in the California Consumer Price Index as compiled and
reported by the California Department of Industrial Relations, for
processing the amended license and shall transmit the fee to the
city, city and county, or county treasury.

If you haven't seen it with your own eyes,
or heard it with your own ears,
don't make it up with your small mind,
or spread it with your big mouth.
Old 06-03-2011, 1:51 PM

We finally have a status report, dated June 2, 2011:

Quote:
I can only think of one county we have data for and haven't posted yet (Santa Clara), which was held off pending the lawsuit. Those will be up very soon.

We will resolve CGF v. Ventura before going after any others since it directly bears on the exemptions claimed by the withholding agencies.
Wiki for the CGF V. Ventura: http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/in...Ventura_County

Discussion thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...CGF+v.+Ventura

Next action: June 6, 2011

Last edited by Rock6.3; 06-03-2011 at 2:08 PM..
Old 06-03-2011, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decoligny View Post
PC 12054
(b) In the case of an amended license pursuant to subdivision (f)
of Section 12050, the licensing authority of any city, city and
county, or county may charge a fee, not to exceed ten dollars ($10),
except that the fee may be increased at a rate not to exceed any
increase in the California Consumer Price Index as compiled and
reported by the California Department of Industrial Relations, for
processing the amended license and shall transmit the fee to the
city, city and county, or county treasury.
I've always been told it was a $15.00 charge to drop a weapon and add. I too don't like the 3 gun rule, where some older permits have 5. Go figure.
Old 06-03-2011, 2:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4D5auto View Post
I've always been told it was a $15.00 charge to drop a weapon and add. I too don't like the 3 gun rule, where some older permits have 5. Go figure.
There is no statutory "3-gun rule"; in fact, the text and State forms suggest otherwise.

The $15 charge may be the $10 fee increased according to the Price Index.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:35 PM

Update: Shasta County Sheriff no longer limits CCW holders to 3 listed handguns. Additional handguns may be added by submitting a written request.
Old 08-30-2011, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Update: Shasta County Sheriff no longer limits CCW holders to 3 listed handguns. Additional handguns may be added by submitting a written request.
Where did you find that? What is to stop them from denying the addition of any more weapons, in writing or not?? If this is a change in policy, there is no reason to actually change it if they wish not to, if ya get my drift.. Now let's see how many really get added and what was really involved. I'm sure there will be stories to come!! When will CA get a clue as to what you can carry, like AZ, FL and now NV!

Last edited by 4D5auto; 08-30-2011 at 2:36 PM..
Old 08-30-2011, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Where did you find that? What is to stop them from denying the addition of any more weapons, in writing or not?? If this is a change in policy, there is no reason to actually change it if they wish not to, if ya get my drift.. Now let's see how many really get added and what was really involved. I'm sure there will be stories to come!! When will CA get a clue as to what you can carry, like AZ, FL and now NV!
My source was an oral conversation with the Sheriff last night at a public meeting.
Old 01-04-2012, 1:44 PM
Calguns Addict

I would like to talk to those anticipating to apply to the Shasta County Sheriff for their initial license to carry in the immediate future. Please contact me via PM.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:14 AM

Default one year residency requirement status?

Has any progress been made on the one year residency requirement? Is it legal per statutes?
Old 02-27-2012, 12:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don'tBlink View Post
Has any progress been made on the one year residency requirement? Is it legal per statutes?
No.

Currently, the Sheriff's published policy requires documentation as proof of residency and duration. They generally request utility bills to fulfill their requirement. This is not legal according to the statute governing licencing and a violation of the 14th amendment.

Old 06-09-2012, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Quote:
No.

Currently, the Sheriff's published policy requires documentation as proof of residency and duration. They generally request utility bills to fulfill their requirement. This is not legal according to the statute governing licencing and a violation of the 14th amendment.
So, this directly applies to me, and am curious if anything is currently being done about this requirement.

I moved to Redding ~3 weeks ago and working in the service industry and leaving late at night with large amounts of money in my pocket makes me EXTREMELY uncomfortable.

I would very much so like to get my CCW but this year requirement is the only thing stopping me.

Also, I am currently renting a room from a family friend, so my proof of residence would be interesting circumstances as well. I have no utilities in my name and won't be in the near future. How would I be able to prove my residence. I do have a P.O. Box but was told that's not acceptable. Would a pay stub be acceptable? How about a cell phone bill? Renter's insurance?

I appreciate any response I can get and truly appreciate everything anyone involved has done to protect our rights. Thank you
Old 06-09-2012, 8:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker713 View Post
So, this directly applies to me, and am curious if anything is currently being done about this requirement.

I moved to Redding ~3 weeks ago and working in the service industry and leaving late at night with large amounts of money in my pocket makes me EXTREMELY uncomfortable.

I would very much so like to get my CCW but this year requirement is the only thing stopping me.

Also, I am currently renting a room from a family friend, so my proof of residence would be interesting circumstances as well. I have no utilities in my name and won't be in the near future. How would I be able to prove my residence. I do have a P.O. Box but was told that's not acceptable. Would a pay stub be acceptable? How about a cell phone bill? Renter's insurance?

I appreciate any response I can get and truly appreciate everything anyone involved has done to protect our rights. Thank you
The staffers were trained (and to my most recent experience) still ask for utility bills for proof of residency.

The obvious problems with this are;

1) There is no statutory duration for which residency is established. (1 year, 1 month, or 1 week are utterly irrelevant and the Sheriff cannot impose this criteria. What matters is that this is where you have taken up your primary domicile. It could have been 10 minutes ago, for all the statute is concerned.)
2) The issuing agency may not require additional documentation besides the application to make a determination.

In order to move this ball forward, you would need to apply in person and get the S/O to memorialize the reason they are telling you no.

If you want to play the Sheriff's little game and 'prove' that you are a resident to his satisfaction, you could have your landlord write a letter detailing the date your rental agreement commenced. Since you have only been here 3 months he (read; his statutorily illiterate staff) will tell you that you are ineligible to be issued a licence and they will probably hand you back your application without drafting a letter detailing the reason you are being denied.

My recommendation is to talk with Wildhawker about what might be done to get the Sheriff to comply with the law. You are not the only one in Shasta who is having issues with non-compliance... most applicants just move through the Sheriffs cattle chutes, and do what is asked in their clearly unlawful policy statement but this is going to end one way or another.

Old 07-04-2012, 5:31 PM
Calguns Addict

http://www.redding.com/news/2012/jul...n-151-its-way/

Old 07-15-2012, 8:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Telling Facebook 'Like'...

It's gratifying to know that Shasta County Sheriff Tom Bosenko does read Calguns.net and supports 'shall issue in Sacramento County'.

It is extraordinarily ironic that in spite of this revelation, Sheriff Bosenko has failed to reform his carry license policies to conform with California law and furthermore supports 'shall issue' in another county while he and his staff impose super-statutorial qualifications and use unlimited discretion in the same manner one might expect a restrictive issuing agency to disqualify applicants.

One might give the benefit of the doubt to the Sheriff, if this was a mistake of being an unwitting or ignorant bureaucrat- but by reading Calguns, and having twice (to my knowledge) received correspondence detailing the impact of SB610 on carry licensing, it is less convincing to observers to accept that the Sheriff is not congnizant of the problem with their policies or their departments wrongdoing.

So a question remains. What will it take for Sheriff Bosenko to reform?

Old 07-15-2012, 9:18 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Thanks for staying on this.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:

To bad CA can't be as simple as Nevada, your a resident of the state of NV when you claim to be.!

Quote:
I recently changed a weapon on my permit, outside of renewal time and the cost was $10.00. Last time I did a change, has been at renewal time and there was no charge. If you're wanting to save a few dollars, wit till renewal time comes around for you.
Old 07-15-2012, 1:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
To bad CA can't be as simple as Nevada, your a resident of the state of NV when you claim to be.!
It is that simple in California,... unless the issuing agency has made up some minimum duration requirement and demands proof.