Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:17 AM
- DVC -
CGN Contributor

MIM tech is difficult to accept, I get it. While I am SA fan I would rather have all tool steel bits in my $3500 pistol. Thanks for your reply.

That said, of the two, I'd like to own and shoot an SA Professional.

. 1A - 2A = -1A
Old 12-08-2018, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOdessa View Post
I would not carry either, if you use it, you may not get it back for years. I prefer cheap, reliable handguns I can afford to lose.
If someone ever needs to use a gun in a self defense situation, loosing every gun in your safe and the ability to purchase a replacement till the trial is over is also a possibility. Carry whatever you want. You're worth it, lol...
" A Free People Ought Not Only Be Armed And Disciplined But Should Have Sufficient Arms And Ammunition To Maintain A Status Of Independence From Any Who Might Attempt To Abuse Them, Which Also Includes Their Own Government."
~George Washington~
Old 12-08-2018, 7:53 AM

I'd choose the Wilson for a few reasons. First, I prefer the combat rear/FO front sights over a 3 dot tritium. Tritium front is nice but I find all 3 are distracting in low/no light. Then there's that ambi safety on the SA Pro. Unless you're a lefty, it's just in the way and inhibits a "natural high grip" a 1911 is known for.
Old 12-08-2018, 6:39 PM

Old school Para Ordnance P14-45.
Old 12-09-2018, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue187 View Post
Use which ever one you chose.

Just know that it will go into evidence and you may not get it back for many years.

It will be handled and tested and dusted or fumed and none of those will be removed from the firearm. The once pristine finish will be ruined.

It is nice to have a customized gun but IMHO..use it for the range and home defense. A customized gun used for home defense may be worth it for family peace of mind. But always have a spare in case.

Carry a gun that won't hurt so much in your pocket should it be seized for evidence.

A gun that you can get a replacement for quickly is usually a better choice. If you like the SA's get a spare SA.

I personally use a gun I can get another in the event I do use it. I know it will go into evidence, it may be many years before you see that gun again and many more before you can get it back...if you can get it back. Remember CA is not very friendly to firearm owners.

Your mileage may vary.
You don't even have to go that far. All it takes is a traffic accident followed by an ambulance ride to the hospital. Don't expect to find your 1911 in the hospital locker. It will be handed over to the police and you can start the paperwork for its release once you are back home.
Old 12-09-2018, 7:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
MIM tech is difficult to accept, I get it. While I am SA fan I would rather have all tool steel bits in my $3500 pistol. Thanks for your reply.

That said, of the two, I'd like to own and shoot an SA Professional.
Which parts on SA PRO are MIM? Also , I should have been more clear with my question. I meant if You had to carry a full size 1911 in a belt holster ,with concealment not being a consideration.

Last edited by ap3572001; 12-09-2018 at 7:38 AM..
Old 12-09-2018, 8:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap3572001 View Post
Which parts on SA PRO are MIM? Also , I should have been more clear with my question. I meant if You had to carry a full size 1911 in a belt holster ,with concealment not being a consideration.
They are both 1911's, what difference would it make if they were carried IWB or OWB? The slide stop, firing pin stop, mag catch, and disconnector are all MIM.
Old 12-09-2018, 8:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not so Chapped Hide View Post
They are both 1911's, what difference would it make if they were carried IWB or OWB? The slide stop, firing pin stop, mag catch, and disconnector are all MIM.
I did not know about MIM parts on PRO. I guess they could be easily changed with Wilson BP or EGW.
PS. I know they are both 1911's. This was in response to people who suggested that 1911 is too big and heavy to carry concealed. I meant a 1911 for open / duty style carry.
Old 12-09-2018, 8:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap3572001 View Post
I did not know about MIM parts on PRO. I guess they could be easily changed with Wilson BP or EGW.
PS. I know they are both 1911's. This was in response to people who suggested that 1911 is too big and heavy to carry concealed. I meant a 1911 for open / duty style carry.
Ah, sorry I misunderstood your question on carry. Don't believe the naysayers until you've tried it yourself. I carry my 1911 almost every day IWB, driving, at work, around the house in a Milt Sparks VM II and if I'm out in the boonies I'm carrying OWB in a Garrett Silent Thunder. Neither are ever uncomfortable, just find the right belt and the right position. FWIW I'm 6'2 and 180 and have no problem concealing in jeans and tee shirt.

I carry my LBCC because it's what I shoot best and most often. You can't go wrong with either of your choices but if it was me, I'd carry the Wilson. Owned a Pro and sold it because it really was nothing special.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:22 AM

For years I carried a Colt Combat Commander....of course, I bought it new 40 years ago and believe I paid $250.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heominhon View Post
Springfield because the Wilson Combat doesnt like to stay in the evidence room.
Exactly

In spite of his lack of honesty, morals, ethics, and class, Donald was the better candidate at the time.

Only witches fear witch hunts, cast insults and dismiss real news reporting.

Yes, the FBI investigates crimes and crooks go to jail.
Old 12-09-2018, 8:26 PM
NRA/CRPA/CGN/CGSSA
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother_Hesekiel View Post
You don't even have to go that far. All it takes is a traffic accident followed by an ambulance ride to the hospital. Don't expect to find your 1911 in the hospital locker. It will be handed over to the police and you can start the paperwork for its release once you are back home.
Right-o. The takeaway here is not that you shouldn't CCW expensive guns... Rather, the takeaway is that, if you can afford it, you should really consider buying a spare copy of your carry gun. In addition to the whole "police locker" reason, it's also a good idea to have an identical spare of your carry gun for training and practice purposes. You can train equally across both copies so that you're not putting as much wear and tear on your carry gun. You'll always have spare parts or even just a spare gun if your carry gun goes down during a training session. This is a case where two is better than one.

So, since OP's question was between a Wilson CQB or a Springfield Professional... I'd rather have two Springfield TRPs, rather than either of those choices. Because I damn sure can't afford two Wilson CQBs or two Springfield Professionals, but if I was in the market for a really nice 1911, I could probably stretch it to buy two Springfield TRPs. But anyhow, that's why I've always carried Glocks.