Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 12-05-2018, 7:35 PM

Default Savage Hog Hunter/Model 11 owners?

The prices have come down alot on these over the last couple years and I've always been eyeing them since they were released.

From what I've read you can't go wrong with a Savage 11 pattern bolt gun and I really like the iron sights on the Hog Hunter, internal magazine, 20" barrel etc...

I thought about getting one in .308 but I really have no need for a .308.

I'm thinking the .223 version would be just fine for any type of hunting, yote, bobcat, maybe a hog or deer with the right load.

I already have a .223 setup for reloading and some brass. So I can even plink for cheap and not have to bring out my AR.

Will these Hog Hunter's shoot 5.56?

Anyone have one? How do you like it? Only downsides I've read about is that the factory stock is a bit light and flimsy feeling.
Old 12-06-2018, 7:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

No experience with the Hog Hunter, but have one comment.

If the rifle is marked 223, DO NOT SHOOT 556 AMMO!

There are cases that will work fine, but there is enough difference in the chamber (lead) between the two chambers that can cause drastic pressure increases.

You can safely shoot 223 ammo in a 556 chamber, but not the other way around.

JMHO

Regarding 223 for hogs, depends on where you are. My knee jerk is NO WAY, too light of bullet unless you can put it in his ear.
Old 12-06-2018, 8:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsh00ter View Post
No experience with the Hog Hunter, but have one comment.

If the rifle is marked 223, DO NOT SHOOT 556 AMMO!

There are cases that will work fine, but there is enough difference in the chamber (lead) between the two chambers that can cause drastic pressure increases.

You can safely shoot 223 ammo in a 556 chamber, but not the other way around.

JMHO

Regarding 223 for hogs, depends on where you are. My knee jerk is NO WAY, too light of bullet unless you can put it in his ear.
What does Savage say about .223 vs 5.56 in their chambers?....Any issues should be in their owner's manual.
Old 12-06-2018, 8:38 AM
Probationary Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I have one in .308 so I can't comment on the .223 vs 5.56. I couldn't find anything in the online manual so your best bet would be to contact Savage and ask them. As stated above, if it isn't marked 5.56, I wouldn't shoot it.

As far as the gun goes, I like it for what it is - a small, easy to handle brush gun.
Old 12-06-2018, 8:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsh00ter View Post

IMHO same goes for deer. I don't know if you've ever chased a wounded critter but I have. Sorta ruins your hunt.
Old 12-06-2018, 9:51 AM

a friend just got one of these for less than $300 from Buds, he loves it.
SAVAGE AXIS 6.5 CREEDMOOR 22

cdnninvestments has a lot of options on clearance sale, i think they'll sell rifles to Ca, they have an already scoped rifle, the SAVAGE 11 DOA HUNTER XP 270WSM SCOPE COMBO for 399 for example as well as a bunch of other options.

Last edited by mtenenhaus; 12-06-2018 at 10:55 AM..
Old 12-06-2018, 12:59 PM

I think they are phasing out all the blind magazine Hoghunters. The new ones have DBMs.
Old 12-06-2018, 3:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAS View Post
As stated above, if it isn't marked 5.56, I wouldn't shoot it.
As I understand the difference between 5.56 & 223 chambers and rounds are as follows: (someone correct me if I am wrong)

The 5.56 rounds have the bullets seated out farther than the 223 to increase case capacity.

The 223 chamber is shorter in the throat area.

So, if you insert a 5.56 round into a 223 chamber, the bullet is jammed into the lands, this along with increased powder charge = huge pressure spike. DANGEROUS!

What can be done is have someone run a 223 Wylde reamer into a standard 223 chamber.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.223_Wylde_chamber

The Wylde reamer only cuts the throat, does not change the neck or body of the chamber. This moves the throat out enough to allow you to fire both rounds. Gives you the best of both worlds.

That is how I set up ARs so you can seat the bullets out a little farther and safely fire 5.56.

Otherwise I strongly recommend against firing 5.56 ammo in any standard 223 chamber. JMHO

I will bet money if you call any firearm manufacture or reputable gun smith, for liability reasons" they will tell you to never fire a 5.56 round from a 223 Chamber. So to me it would be a waist of time calling them other than just to confirm this opinion.

Last edited by Ramsh00ter; 12-06-2018 at 3:10 PM.. Reason: just an additional comment
Old 12-06-2018, 3:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackEllis View Post
IMHO same goes for deer. I don't know if you've ever chased a wounded critter but I have. Sorta ruins your hunt.
For the most part I agree about using a 223 for deer in almost every situation accept the small deer we have in Calif.

With the quality bullets we have today, well place shot on a small deer with a 223 will work.

I have a friend in Oklahoma that has shot many deer with a 223, but he is an excellent shot.