Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-21-2021, 8:56 AM
ProudAmerican88 ProudAmerican88 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 16
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default Night Vision

Night vision is a confusing one for me. I was wondering if something like the Sightmark Ghost Hunter 1x24 is legal. It's just a cheap gen1 nvd from what I can gather. The reason why I can't figure out if it is legal is because:

It has active IR illumination due to the IR light mounted on it
It technically can be adaptable to be used on a firearm with aftermarket mounts
It has "1x" magnification which I'm pretty confident is zero magnification, but who knows what California would say about that.
It's battery powered from what I can tell ..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-21-2021, 4:44 PM
Quiet's Avatar
Quiet Quiet is offline
retired Goon
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Bernardino County
Posts: 26,822
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris v View Post
Night vision is a confusing one for me. I was wondering if something like the Sightmark Ghost Hunter 1x24 is legal. It's just a cheap gen1 nvd from what I can gather. The reason why I can't figure out if it is legal is because:

It has active IR illumination due to the IR light mounted on it
It technically can be adaptable to be used on a firearm with aftermarket mounts
It has "1x" magnification which I'm pretty confident is zero magnification, but who knows what California would say about that.
It's battery powered from what I can tell ..
The Sightmark Ghost Hunter 1x24 is an active IR device with no magnification.
This makes it CA legal when it is hand held or head mounted or mounted on a firearm, as long as it is not being used while hunting or used to assist with hunting.


CA laws/regulations summary on night vision devices...

Active IR scope with magnification = illegal [PC 468]
Active IR scope with no magnification = legal

Passive IR scope with magnification = legal
Passive IR scope with magnification and an IR illuminator = illegal [PC 468]
Passive IR scope with no magnifcation = legal
Passive IR scope with no magnification and an IR illuminator = legal

Active IR goggles with magnification = legal
Active IR goggles with no magnification = legal

Passive IR goggles with magnification = legal
Passive IR goggles with magnification and an IR illuminator = legal
Passive IR googles with no magnification = legal
Passive IR goggles with no magnification and an IR illuminator = legal

Using any "night vision equipment" to hunt or aid in hunting = illegal [FGC 2005(c)]
__________________
Certified Glock Armorer

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 07-21-2021 at 4:51 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-21-2021, 7:04 PM
ProudAmerican88 ProudAmerican88 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 16
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
The Sightmark Ghost Hunter 1x24 is an active IR device with no magnification.
This makes it CA legal when it is hand held or head mounted or mounted on a firearm, as long as it is not being used while hunting or used to assist with hunting.


CA laws/regulations summary on night vision devices...

Active IR scope with magnification = illegal [PC 468]
Active IR scope with no magnification = legal

Passive IR scope with magnification = legal
Passive IR scope with magnification and an IR illuminator = illegal [PC 468]
Passive IR scope with no magnifcation = legal
Passive IR scope with no magnification and an IR illuminator = legal

Active IR goggles with magnification = legal
Active IR goggles with no magnification = legal

Passive IR goggles with magnification = legal
Passive IR goggles with magnification and an IR illuminator = legal
Passive IR googles with no magnification = legal
Passive IR goggles with no magnification and an IR illuminator = legal

Using any "night vision equipment" to hunt or aid in hunting = illegal [FGC 2005(c)]
You're awesome man, thank you! This whole time I thought it was considered passive with a an IR illuminator because the IR bulb is outside of the housing lol.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-21-2021, 11:10 PM
JaredKaragen JaredKaragen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 246
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

disable/remove the illuminator, and you are in the clear basically.

There are a couple good models out there that have a detachable or no illumination.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-22-2021, 12:46 AM
ProudAmerican88 ProudAmerican88 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 16
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredKaragen View Post
disable/remove the illuminator, and you are in the clear basically.

There are a couple good models out there that have a detachable or no illumination.
Is that completely necessary, or is it still legal if it's still on there? These are just hypotheticals, I don't have one. I was just curious/future knowledge.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-22-2021, 3:10 PM
Quiet's Avatar
Quiet Quiet is offline
retired Goon
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Bernardino County
Posts: 26,822
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris v View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredKaragen View Post
disable/remove the illuminator, and you are in the clear basically.

There are a couple good models out there that have a detachable or no illumination.
Is that completely necessary, or is it still legal if it's still on there? These are just hypotheticals, I don't have one. I was just curious/future knowledge.
Without the illuminator, it would be considered a passive IR device, instead of an active IR device.

Because that device does not have any magnification, it makes no difference if it is active or passive.

Being active or passive only makes a difference, if the device has magnification and is mounted on a firearm.
__________________
Certified Glock Armorer

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-01-2021, 10:50 PM
JaredKaragen JaredKaragen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 246
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
Without the illuminator, it would be considered a passive IR device, instead of an active IR device.

Because that device does not have any magnification, it makes no difference if it is active or passive.

Being active or passive only makes a difference, if the device has magnification and is mounted on a firearm.
This^^

I recommend to buy one without, or remove/disable any illuminator as to comply with ALL of the possible lines you could be charged with related to such things.... the good old ATF is well known for changing definitions to persecute people unnecessarily or to cover the mistakes they made/are making.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:08 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2021, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.



Seams2SewBySusy

Tactical Pants Tactical Boots Military Boots 5.11 Tactical