Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 07-20-2021, 7:36 PM

Default Small Pistol Magnum primers?

Came across a brand new box of CCI 550's. Interwebs says to just use them interchangeably with either SPP or SRP's. Maybe back down .1- .2 gr. on pistol loads

All my SPP reloading is 9mm, usually 147 gr subs, so they are already loaded light.

Got me to wondering, what exactly are Magnum SPP's typically used for? Small primer .45 ACP loads?

Just wondering. I'll toss them in back of reloading cabinet for a rainy day.
Old 07-20-2021, 7:45 PM

.357 mag
Old 07-20-2021, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmlook View Post
.357 mag
Duh. I should have thought of that. Only have one gun chambered in that and I don't reload for that caliber.
Old 07-20-2021, 7:56 PM

I've used mag SPP primers in 9mm and .40sw. they work, no issues
Old 07-20-2021, 9:16 PM

There are plenty of other cartridges that use spm, like the ever so popular 22 jet, 327 mag, or 22 hornet. A lot of it depends on the powder. 357 mag is generally the most common use though, and definitely worth trying since you have a firearm chambered in it already. Can likely use the same powders you’re already using for 9mm, although you’ll get better results from a powder more appropriate for the cartridge.
Old 07-20-2021, 9:22 PM

The "mag" part is intended to burn up a bigger case full of slower powder, but in a small case with fast powder you can't exactly extra burn it or anything.

Mag primers are fine in pistol cases. I've been using them in 40 and occasionally spp 45acp all year.

I would not use a standard spp in a mag case though.
Old 07-21-2021, 4:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Past 15 years of reloading 357, always used regular spp with bullseye, no unburned powder, no squibs. Lee manual didn't call for it. Lyman says yes. Your experience may vary.
Old 07-21-2021, 5:37 AM

Magnum primers are not necessary in any cartridge labelled "magnum" like ".357 Magnum" or ".44 Magnum". Don't believe me?

Then explain to me how guys were shooting and reloading .357 Magnum rounds decades before magnum primers were invented. Magnum primers are a relatively new development. They may be necessary when you are using some harder to ignite ball powders or if you are shooting in sub-zero temperatures.

I hate to pull the old man card but I have been loading .357 magnum rounds since before 1976 and never found magnum primers necessary. Having said that you can use magnum primers in lieu of standard.

I have used a lot of magnum primers when I couldn't find standard stuff. I have used them in 9mm, 38 SPL, 45 ACP and others. But that is because that is all that I had at the time. This isn't the first shortage in history that we have had and it won't be the last.

Steve in N CA

Last edited by sghart; 07-21-2021 at 5:40 AM..
Old 07-21-2021, 6:33 AM

Magnum primers have a higher brisance for igniting (and making sure it stays ignited) slower powders. Most powders these days ignite fairly well; supported by the number of respondents who use regular primers interchangeably.

Your best bet will be to try a few in your application and make your own decision. I suspect you won't see a difference, especially if subbing mag primers for standard (though if you're working the high end of the pressure curve, you might want to back the charge off and work back up.)
Old 07-21-2021, 5:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The only difference between regular pistol, magnum and rifle is the cup material thickness. Vel Ammo and Brownells both have YouTube videos where they tested them. Velocity and pressures were consistent across all three types when tested. They are all safely useable in pistol applications.

The warnings are not to use pistol primers in rifle applications for safety reasons and if using large rifle primers for pistol applications to be sure the primer doesn't sit "proud" as some large rifle primers are taller than others.

Chief Range Safety Officer
Instructor: Basic Pistol Shooting
Instructor: Personal Protection Inside the Home
Old 07-21-2021, 9:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Check prior threads... and search...
It helps eliminate static, an relayed cross-talk...

As stated PREVIOUSLY... I did have a few light strikes w/ CCI Rifle primers in 9mm on a friends OLD hammer-fired pistol w/WEAK springs, and an LC-9 that needed to go back to Ruger(, he said for a recall, and had to tear down an SR-9 to clean the striker area).
Free stating we will go...

Last edited by the86d; 07-21-2021 at 9:38 PM..