Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 02-02-2018, 7:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Bringing this SLO discussion over here from a thread on a different topic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopalong View Post
Improved things? In what way? I just sent baggss a PM of facts that show just the opposite. Have him share them with you.
Seems like this is the guts of your complaint:

The only good cause that will fly (unless you are LEO, prison guard, friend or donor) is if you live, or work, in a very remote, or rural area. Here are some facts: The previous sheriff allowed 3 guns on permit, current sheriff, two. Previous sheriff did not require letters of character reference, current sheriff requires three. Previous sheriff would accept all applications, including folks living within various city limits; current sheriff now says that you must apply with city chief of police which is an automatic denial. Previous sheriff would allow you to apply, and receive your acceptance or denial letter before writing any checks; now you have to pay up front, gambling whether you will be approved or not. The previous sheriff allowed you to change weapons on your permit easily, the new sheriff makes a big deal out of it.

So I'll break it apart:

(1) The only good cause that will fly (unless you are LEO, prison guard, friend or donor) is if you live, or work, in a very remote, or rural area.
He took out his restrictive GC language on his website (w/new online app process). See post #383 above.

(2) Here are some facts: The previous sheriff allowed 3 guns on permit, current sheriff, two.
Sucks, but not GC related. ETA: this sucks because if you're in a shooting LE may take the gun involved for awhile. If you normally carry a primary and BUG, you're now down to only one whereas if they allowed 3, you'd then start carrying that 3rd gun while your primary is gone. Same thing if you have to send one to a gunsmith for work.

(3) Previous sheriff did not require letters of character reference, current sheriff requires three.
A pain, but that's GMC related, not GC related.

(4) Previous sheriff would accept all applications, including folks living within various city limits; current sheriff now says that you must apply with city chief of police which is an automatic denial.
In post #421 above I said he removed the prior denial requirement. But it is now back.... Or I somehow missed all that text previously? (highly unlikely)

Sheriffs can request that you apply first w/city PD, but cannot require it. That would violate state law that they accept and process all apps from county residents. (See Salute v. Pitchess) But even if its illegal, some sheriffs still insist. Why? Because since they do not routinely patrol non-contract cities, they won't know if you've had bad contacts with LE that don't result in an arrest/charges the way your own city PD will. IOW, they do this to make your background check more thorough. Again, this is GMC related, not GC. And like the sheriff, your CoP can only charge you a nominal amount for you to get your GC approved or denied, so this is just a minor increase in time and expense. (See next.)

(5) Previous sheriff would allow you to apply, and receive your acceptance or denial letter before writing any checks; now you have to pay up front, gambling whether you will be approved or not.
Under state law passed ~5 yrs ago the IA has to give you decision (and also explain a denial) BEFORE doing training and, IIRC, Livescan and paying those fees. PM Librarian for details and text of statute, if you want exact details.

If you read SLO's CCW FAQs, you'll see the most SLO SO will charge you is $20 to find out if your GC passes. (City residents will also be out whatever minimal charge their PD keeps.)
Quote:
How much does a CCW license cost?
A New/Initial application costs a total of $193.00. At the time of submittal of the application, a payment of $113.00 will be required. $20.00 of that total is a non‐refundable application processing fee. The balance of $80.00 is due once the Concealed Carry Weapon license has been approved.
(emphasis added) From: https://s3.amazonaws.com/permitium-d...SO/CCW_FAQ.pdf

(6) The previous sheriff allowed you to change weapons on your permit easily, the new sheriff makes a big deal out of it.
Not related to GC. Plus, with the new online system, this is handled online.

Last, the colors are usually judgment calls and, as stated on the map, can be off by 1 color either way. "Light green" goes from "near yellow" (maybe SLO?) to "near dark green" (OC?)

Last edited by Paladin; 02-03-2018 at 7:43 AM.. Reason: typos, minor edits, added numbering
Old 02-03-2018, 9:48 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
"Took out restrictive GC language?" Really?
The fact that only folks in rural remote areas get approved, seems pretty restrictive to me.
Proof/evidence/links?

Quote:
"Why do sheriffs do this" (make you apply with the city)
Background checks? LOL
Its so they can deny the majority of the population without having to do it themselves. Political plausible deniability.

If your city PD turns you down for insufficient GC, the SO will still have to process your subsequent SO application "themselves" and give their own reason for your denial (lack of GMC and/or insufficient GC). The SO does NOT get any "political plausible deniability."

However, if the city PD turns you down for lack of GMC, the SO probably will also deny you for lack of GMC (based upon the PD data and any of their own about you). But once again, that is GMC, not GC.

Quote:
Color the county any way you want.
With a population of over 282,000, and about 500 permits, (one tenth of one percent) the facts speak for themselves.
I'll submit that you can parse words any way you want, and actions speak louder than words.
It seems to me that the important overall picture, and the way it is trending, is what counts, as it relates to "easing" or becoming more "restrictive"
As I mentioned in my previous post above, #421, the had removed the prior denial requirement when they transitioned to online app process. That was 1 of 3 changes that lead me to belive Sheriff Pinkerton had improved his attitude about CCWs. Now that the prior denial requirement is back, I don't think I would have recommended to baggss that he change SLO to yellow, but to wait for more posts by non-newbie members stating that have now gotten issued CCWs.

But we are where we are. At this point, since the map states it may be off by 1 shade/color, I think leave it light green until more SLO CGNers post about recent experience applying with the SO. The standard practice is for the map to be reviewed, and revised if necessary, 2x per year, although there may be other updates/revisions if something changes to an important county (e.g., Sheriff Gore's recent statements he'll issue more CCWs in San Diego county and posters saying they've now gotten CCWs from him).

Last edited by Paladin; 02-03-2018 at 9:58 AM..
Old 02-04-2018, 10:15 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Proof/evidence/links? Really? Show me a common citizen that has used anything other than this. Tiny sliver of a crack to fit into.
I guess that's your way of saying, "No, I don't have any sources for that, it's really just my opinion."

Quote:
Show me someone that was turned down locally, that pursued anything further; better yet show me someone that was approved this way.
You're asking for proof that a city resident followed the sheriff's instructions for applying with the SO? If so, I'd assume most, if not all, would follow the sheriff's simple instructions. If they can't handle that, are they really responsible enough to carry a loaded gun in public?

Quote:
Your own answer states that the SO will refer back to local PD. Especially if it ever came up in a political debate,over 2A, in an election. THAT is your "political plausible deniability"
Again, you are wrong on this. The sheriff may use whatever information the city finds re. the applicant's GMC to make their own GMC determination, but the sheriff has to do just that: make his own GMC determination. Similarly, the sheriff has to make his own GC determination. And the sheriff has to process all completed applications he receives. See Salute v. Pitchess. The sheriff does NOT get any "political plausible deniability": the decision & responsibility is still his even if the data/information he bases it upon is the city PD's.

Quote:
How many folks don't even bother because they know local PDs will summarily deny?
I have no idea, but since the most they'd be out by applying with the sheriff is $20, I'd assume -- assuming they actually follow the SO's instructions -- most would try with the sheriff as well.

Quote:
I know you guys are doing the best you can, especially since you don't live here.
I've lived in SLO county for 43 years, and first applied for a CCW about 35 years ago, when they issued ZERO. A tiny crack in the CCW Wall appeared in the late nineties; I see it closing, not getting bigger.
Do you have a CA CCW? If so, from what issuing agency (IA) and what year was it first issued?

The CA CCW GC map has always been "reverse engineering" and is inherently inaccurate, thus the "off by 1 shade/color either way" qualifying statement. We could make it more accurate if every year we did Public Records Act (PRA) requests for applications for all CCWs issued that year for all 58 counties (not to mention the 500 or so city PDs), and review and compare all of their GC statements. (Even better would be to do that also with all their CCW denials for that year.) But that would cost, I'd guess, thousands of dollars and take hundreds or even thousands of manhours.... We don't get paid/benefitted in any way by performing this "service."

So, yes, we do what we can to try to help the CA gun community get a rough idea of the average law-abiding person's chances of getting a CCW in the 58 counties. That is better, IMO, than having newbies assume that, this being the Kalifornia, nobody has a chance of getting a CCW, or the opposite, thinking because they heard of someone in Orange Co having a CCW, they waste their time, money and effort in applying for one in LA Co.

As I posted above, the deletion of the prior city PD denial requirement was 1 of the 3 reasons I suggested to go w/SLO being light green vs yellow. If I had know that requirement would be later reinserted into their instructions (because they deleted it by mistake? because they were scamming CGNers?), I would not have recommended that change.

Last edited by Paladin; 02-04-2018 at 11:11 AM..
Old 02-11-2018, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopalong
The fact that only folks in rural remote areas get approved, seems pretty restrictive to me.
Proof/evidence/links?
It's been that way for several decades now, and does not appear to have changed. If you live in an incorporated city you will be forced to apply there first. Once denied and go back to the sheriff you get denied again because of "adequate law enforcement coverage and response times". If you want proof just read back through this thread. Want a CCW to fly your F***ing hawk on private property in the back country? No problem. Want a CCW because you work nights in a less safe area and transport valuables? F*** yourself, there's a substation 20 minutes away... deal with it.
Old 02-11-2018, 6:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos7 View Post
It's been that way for several decades now, and does not appear to have changed. If you live in an incorporated city you will be forced to apply there first. Once denied and go back to the sheriff you get denied again because of "adequate law enforcement coverage and response times". If you want proof just read back through this thread. Want a CCW to fly your F***ing hawk on private property in the back country? No problem. Want a CCW because you work nights in a less safe area and transport valuables? F*** yourself, there's a substation 20 minutes away... deal with it.
Pretty much what I have heard. To quote the standard answer “...call 911”
Old 02-11-2018, 6:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford8N View Post
Pretty much what I have heard. To quote the standard answer “...call 911”
While I don't know how much you might lose if you have to try with your city PD first, since the most you'll be out if your GC doesn't pass with the sheriff is $20, I don't know why you wouldn't try applying again.

Quote:
(5) Previous sheriff would allow you to apply, and receive your acceptance or denial letter before writing any checks; now you have to pay up front, gambling whether you will be approved or not.
Under state law passed ~5 yrs ago the IA has to give you decision (and also explain a denial) BEFORE doing training and, IIRC, Livescan and paying those fees. PM Librarian for details and text of statute, if you want exact details.

If you read SLO's CCW FAQs, you'll see the most SLO SO will charge you is $20 to find out if your GC passes. (City residents will also be out whatever minimal charge their PD keeps.)
Quote:
How much does a CCW license cost?
A New/Initial application costs a total of $193.00. At the time of submittal of the application, a payment of $113.00 will be required. $20.00 of that total is a non‐refundable application processing fee. The balance of $80.00 is due once the Concealed Carry Weapon license has been approved.
(emphasis added) From: https://s3.amazonaws.com/permitium-d...SO/CCW_FAQ.pdf
Old 03-07-2018, 6:01 AM
Veteran Member

Just received my renewal notice, how time flies.

Old 03-10-2018, 1:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Exclamation Greg Clayton to challenge Sheriff Parkinson in June primary

For those of you who want SLO SO to issue more CCWs, you should contact Mr. Clayton to find out his position on CCWs and the GC requirement.

Here's his campaign website: https://www.claytonforsheriff.com/

Here's his "Issues" webpage: https://www.claytonforsheriff.com/issues/

Here's his Facebook page to contact him: https://www.facebook.com/claytonforsheriff/ By the looks of some of his posts, he's coming at Sheriff Parkinson from the Left, which, in general, means anti RKBA.

This FB post is from March 09 at 10:50 am:
Quote:
Thank you to Bend the Arc for inviting me to participate in Thursday's candidate forum. Lots of great discussion about our County's ongoing mental health issues, continued care available for inmates after release from the jail, assault weapons ban, and diversity in the workplace for women and minorities.

I enjoyed meeting and talking with attendees and love seeing that active community involvement. This kind of civic participation and citizen oversight is what will help make our County a better place for all.

If you weren't able to make it to last night's event, I'd still love to hear from you and have an opportunity to discuss your ideas and concerns.

Please email me at: hello@claytonforsheriff.com, or send me a message here on Facebook.
(emphasis added)

This FB post is from March 08, 3:15 pm:
Quote:
Happy National Women's Day! I am grateful for the women in my life - my wife, my daughters, and my granddaughters.

It is unacceptable that in 2018 women still earn 15% less than men, hold only 20% of elected offices, and are under represented in executive positions.

Under my administration there will be more women employees promoted to executive management positions.

Quote:
Former police officer Greg Clayton to run for SLO County sheriff

Former San Luis Obispo police officer Greg Clayton intends to run for San Luis Obispo County Sheriff Ian Parkinson’s seat during the next election.

Clayton said Friday he plans to run a campaign of “justice and reform” based on the 12 deaths at County Jail during the past five years.

<snip>

Clayton graduated from Cal Poly with a degree in political science and has lived in San Luis Obispo County since 1975. He began working for the San Luis Obispo Police Department in 1979, and took an early medical retirement after suffering an on-duty motorcycle injury.

Clayton has served as a private investigator in San Luis Obispo for the past 25 years, working civil claims and criminal investigations for government agencies, insurance companies and attorneys.

Parkinson has served as Sheriff since January 2011 and was elected to a second four-year term after running unopposed in 2014.

<snip>

Clayton said he would pursue several key issues if elected:

▪ deaths of inmates in County Jail;

▪ lack of a dedicated psychiatric care facility at the County Jail;

▪ lack of “on-site leadership” overseeing and managing the jail system, along with citizen oversight;

▪ establish an Independent Medical Examiner’s Office.
More at: http://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/lo...198292754.html

Last edited by Paladin; 03-10-2018 at 2:23 PM..
Old 03-10-2018, 2:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Carry Concealed Weapons Permits
Last Updated on Friday, 06 October 2017 14:52
Hits: 7442

Thank you for inquiring about our Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) permit process. The attachment below outlines the CCW process for the City of Atascadero. All residents who reside in the City of Atascadero must apply through the Atascadero Police Department to obtain a CCW. The process outlined below was drafted to follow the laws established by the California Penal Code. It was our intent to clearly outline the process in the document below, so please read the document in its entirety before making any inquires to the police department.

The CCW guidelines established by our agency are intended to ensure our citizens constitutional rights, by following current law. While at the same time taking appropriate steps to keep our community safe.

Application for Concealed Weapons License
(emphasis added)
From: https://www.atascadero.org/index.php...82&Itemid=2108
Old 03-10-2018, 8:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Bringing this SLO discussion over here from a thread on a different topic....

Seems like this is the guts of your complaint:

The only good cause that will fly (unless you are LEO, prison guard, friend or donor) is if you live, or work, in a very remote, or rural area. Here are some facts: The previous sheriff allowed 3 guns on permit, current sheriff, two. Previous sheriff did not require letters of character reference, current sheriff requires three. Previous sheriff would accept all applications, including folks living within various city limits; current sheriff now says that you must apply with city chief of police which is an automatic denial. Previous sheriff would allow you to apply, and receive your acceptance or denial letter before writing any checks; now you have to pay up front, gambling whether you will be approved or not. The previous sheriff allowed you to change weapons on your permit easily, the new sheriff makes a big deal out of it.
Here's some facts re. Parkinson and his predecessor re. CCWs (2013 May 07):
Quote:
This very minute, more than 470 San Luis Obispo County citizens—perhaps your neighbor or the little old lady on the bus--could be carrying a gun as they go about their day working, shopping, going to church. And it’s completely legal.

That’s according to data received from the sheriff’s department in response to a New Times public records request, which revealed that the number of SLO County residents seeking concealed-carry permits has more than doubled since 2009.

<snip>

According to records of the last two years of Hedges’ tenure through the first two years of Parkinson’s, the number of new applicants granted a permit has increased the most since 2009, when just 25 people were issued new permits. That number increased by 64 percent to 41 new permits in 2010, and jumped another 85 percent in 2011—the first year Parkinson was at the helm—to 76 new permits. Figures for 2012 were similar, with 77 new permits issued.

<snip>

Parkinson also changed a few of the terms of the permit. For example, he reduced from three to two the number of guns that permitted individuals may legally carry.

“Any more than that and I have to wonder if they really are proficient with a gun,” he said.

<snip>

Currently, 476 residents—members of the general public, prominent land owners, businesspeople, public officials, family members of high-ranking law enforcement officials, reserve officers, non-sworn police department employees, county employees, and judges—possess concealed-carry permits.

Notable names on the list are SLO County Superior Court current and retired judges Michael Duffy, John Trice, and Roger Piquet; deputy district attorneys Andrew Baird, Greg Devitt, and Dan Hilford; and state Assemblyman Katcho Achadjian.
From: https://www.newtimesslo.com/sanluiso...nt?oid=2946212

ETA: from 2015 Feb 27:

Quote:
Olivas said Thursday there are currently 571 active permits in the county. He said the county has already witnessed an increase in applications, with 48 new and renewed permits filed between Jan. 1 and Feb. 26.

That compares to 239 applications in 2014, 305 applications in 2013 and 171 in 2012 from residents in unincorporated areas as well as Morro Bay, Atascadero and San Luis Obispo.

The numbers don’t reflect applications that were denied.
Read more here: http://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/lo...e39514173.html

Last edited by Paladin; 03-10-2018 at 9:19 PM..
Old 04-03-2018, 6:04 PM
Veteran Member

I had my renewal today. The instructor said that SLO county has upgraded their system and will no longer be issuing the big awkward paper permits and have adopted the drivers license style with your picture on it. As soon as I receive mine, I will post it.
Old 04-20-2018, 2:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The conclusions you have drawn from this thread are not indicative of SLO county as a whole. I applied through local PD, got denied, and then approved through SLO sheriff. And I'm not connected in any way to the Sheriffs office nor do I fly hawks on private property.

I wouldn't make such blanket statements when you have very little facts to back them up.
Old 04-20-2018, 4:37 PM
Banned

How come current SLO CCW’s owners don’t post their “good cause” statements to help others get their CCWs? Why is it such a secret in SLO county???
Old 04-26-2018, 7:35 PM

It appears to me that Greg Clayton is running for sheriff in order to spins his lifelong pension. He left the slo pd on a disability and now 25 years later he wants a big salary. I will stick with Ian Parkinson.
JMHO
MS
Old 04-26-2018, 9:39 PM

Correction...should say "spike his pension".... not "spin his pension" damn spellcheck
Old 05-17-2018, 2:10 PM
Veteran Member

Just picked up my new permit. SLO county has not gone to the drivers license style permit yet. They have temporarily halted the switch until they can come up with a design that is in line with other counties in California so that there is no discrepancy.
Old 05-18-2018, 8:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
Just picked up my new permit. SLO county has not gone to the drivers license style permit yet. They have temporarily halted the switch until they can come up with a design that is in line with other counties in California so that there is no discrepancy.
Congrats!

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"
Old 05-18-2018, 9:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Congrats!!!

Going by: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Lu...ia#Communities

Do you live in an incorporated city in SLO Co?

Do you live in an "Census-designated place" in SLO Co?

Or do you live in a "Unincorporated community" of SLO Co?

Don't specify the specific locale, just which of those 3 categories it falls under.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member

Default San Luis Obispo

It’s my renewal. I live in Templeton

Last edited by offrdmania; 05-18-2018 at 10:21 PM..
Old 06-08-2018, 11:01 AM

Quick question. In SLO county do they issue to non-residents of the county that primarily work in the county? I live in SB county but work in SLO county 99% of the time. We all know the non issueing sheriff in SB county. I believe my line of work would have a justified good cause. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy87 View Post
Quick question. In SLO county do they issue to non-residents of the county that primarily work in the county? I live in SB county but work in SLO county 99% of the time. We all know the non issueing sheriff in SB county. I believe my line of work would have a justified good cause. Any info would be appreciated.
There is a cutout in the rules for something like this. As a resident in ****ty SB county i tries but working retail and no managers to sign off on my appeal it was no go. Depends on your work and how 2A your boss is

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2018, 11:40 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
It’s my renewal. I live in Templeton
Unfortunately, you don't help dispel the notion that Sheriff Parkinson doesn't like to issue to city residents: Templeton is not an incorporated city in SLO Co.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Lu...ia#Communities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy87 View Post
(1) Business permits, based upon the location of the business, are good for only 90 days. Not sure how the costs compare per year.

(2) Lots of sheriffs choose not to issue them. (Don't know if that is legal or not...)

(3) I don't recall if Business based CCW permits holders are limited to carrying within the county that issued it.

Bottom line: business based CCW permits aren't worth it. JMO

Last edited by Paladin; 06-08-2018 at 11:46 AM..
Old 06-10-2018, 5:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, you don't help dispel the notion that Sheriff Parkinson doesn't like to issue to city residents: Templeton is not an incorporated city in SLO Co.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Lu...ia#Communities

(1) Business permits, based upon the location of the business, are good for only 90 days. Not sure how the costs compare per year.

(2) Lots of sheriffs choose not to issue them. (Don't know if that is legal or not...)

(3) I don't recall if Business based CCW permits holders are limited to carrying within the county that issued it.

Bottom line: business based CCW permits aren't worth it. JMO
It is my understanding that Ian doesnt make the decision for city permits, that comes down to the local PD where the application must go through first. Ian would only issue those in the city based on the PDs recommendation.

Last edited by offrdmania; 06-10-2018 at 5:48 AM..
Old 06-10-2018, 9:28 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
It is my understanding that Ian doesnt make the decision for city permits, that comes down to the local PD where the application must go through first. Ian would only issue those in the city based on the PDs recommendation.
Templeton does not have a police department. The SLO County Sheriff services that area so a resident's application would be submitted directly to Ian Parkinson's office.

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"
Old 06-10-2018, 1:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdDeadHands1 View Post
Templeton does not have a police department. The SLO County Sheriff services that area so a resident's application would be submitted directly to Ian Parkinson's office.
That is correct, I applied directly through the Sheriffs office. I was replying to the post above. I was talking about those who live in Paso or Atascadero where there is a local PD.
Old 07-04-2018, 6:55 AM

Hey everyone, I had a question in regards to CCW in SLO county, I will be moving up to a property in Arroyo Grande (though outside city limits) where I will be working while I am in school. Does that mean I need to apply with the local county? I have never applied for a CCW in CA (been living in AZ on a ranch for the last 5 years, moving back for family/ school reasons) and not sure how to go about it.
Old 07-14-2018, 8:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkdoiron View Post
Hey everyone, I had a question in regards to CCW in SLO county, I will be moving up to a property in Arroyo Grande (though outside city limits) where I will be working while I am in school. Does that mean I need to apply with the local county? I have never applied for a CCW in CA (been living in AZ on a ranch for the last 5 years, moving back for family/ school reasons) and not sure how to go about it.
It is based off of your permanent address location. You cant use a temporary address for a CCW
Old 07-14-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
It is based off of your permanent address location. You cant use a temporary address for a CCW
I understand that, my permanent would be there as I am a CA resident, not AZ, just was curious if I apply in AG or with the county?
Old 07-14-2018, 10:29 PM

In CA you can apply with either the County Sheriff or the City Chief of Police in the City in which you reside, if one exists. Read through this thread history to see which is best based on others' experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
I understand that, my permanent would be there as I am a CA resident, not AZ, just was curious if I apply in AG or with the county?
How far outside the city? Like lopez lake area? Nipomo area? Just go to the slo county sheriffs office and they will take care of you.

Old 07-15-2018, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strykeback View Post
How far outside the city? Like lopez lake area? Nipomo area? Just go to the slo county sheriffs office and they will take care of you.

Im outside city limits up above newsom canyon a bit to the SE of town, It looks like I would have a pretty good chance of getting one being in a rural area and working in the agricultural industry having read through some of the thread. Out in AZ we just carried with the whole constitutional carry so that was pretty convenient, but SLO county is stilll better then SB county where I grew up.

Last edited by adamkdoiron; 07-15-2018 at 8:00 AM..
Old 07-15-2018, 8:08 AM

Quote:
Im outside city limits up above newsom canyon a bit to the SE of town, It looks like I would have a pretty good chance of getting one being in a rural area and working in the agricultural industry having read through some of the thread. Out in AZ we just carried with the whole constitutional carry so that was pretty convenient, but SLO county is stilll better then SB county where I grew up.
Yeah im still in SB county and these idiots keep putting sheriff Brown back in every election. You should be an easy one. Good luck.

Old 07-22-2018, 2:00 PM

Quote:
- Registered residence in unincorp county - good, apply to county
- Unless your employer will submit a letter necessitating the CCW for the rural work in ag, this is irrelevant. SLO Co won't buy off on it. You need a supporting letter.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:50 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Has anyone been issued/denied a CCW by SLO Co SO this year? If so, can you post or PM me (communications kept in strict confidence) what your Good Cause was like, but not so much detail as to ID yourself?

I've been involved with making the CA CCW GC map for ~7 years and just trying to make sure it is accurate, that SLO is light green.

ETA: If anyone is thinking about applying with SLO SO or a SLO Co city's PD, I strongly suggest you go over the advice I developed and posted for CoCoCo SO applicants in the first 3 posts at:
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1482924

Last edited by Paladin; 12-06-2018 at 11:54 AM..
Old 12-14-2018, 9:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Has anyone been issued/denied a CCW by SLO Co SO this year? If so, can you post or PM me (communications kept in strict confidence) what your Good Cause was like, but not so much detail as to ID yourself?

I've been involved with making the CA CCW GC map for ~7 years and just trying to make sure it is accurate, that SLO is light green.
Giving this a bump.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:28 AM

LOL
Old 12-14-2018, 11:54 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
LOL
Laughter from "the Peanut Gallery."

If you don't have anything to contribute ....
Old 12-14-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Laughter from "the Peanut Gallery."

If you don't have anything to contribute ....
I contributed plenty.

Lived in Slo County for 45 years.

First applied for CCW 38 years ago.

Have had (and currently have) a CCW for 20 years under 2 sheriffs.

I told you what the deal was around here, with multiple, multiple, examples.

You, who knows absolutely nothing about this county, summarily rejected everything I said.

Why do you think no-one wants to speak up here?

571 permits, according to the Undersheriff, and a population of 285,000

LOL!
Old 12-16-2018, 9:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I contributed plenty.

Lived in Slo County for 45 years.

First applied for CCW 38 years ago.

Have had (and currently have) a CCW for 20 years under 2 sheriffs.
These "contribute" nothing to the cause or to this thread.

Quote:
I told you what the deal was around here, with multiple, multiple, examples.

You, who knows absolutely nothing about this county, summarily rejected everything I said.
Either you don't know what "summarily" means, or your memory is failing you.... See my posts #422, 423, and 424 at:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...8#post21236498

Quote:
Why do you think no-one wants to speak up here?

571 permits, according to the Undersheriff, and a population of 285,000

LOL!
Poor word choice; failing memory; and now self-centered and easily agitated. If you're over 65 years old ....

Rather than waste my time and effort (yet again!), replying to your worthless posts, I'll just add you to my Ignore List (click on "User CP" and scroll down the left hand column), so that I don't even see your posts. For the peace of CGN and your own mental well-being, I suggest you do the same.
Old 12-16-2018, 9:51 AM

Quote:
These "contribute" nothing to the cause or to this thread.

Either you don't know what "summarily" means, or your memory is failing you.... See my posts #422, 423, and 424 at:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...8#post21236498

Poor word choice; failing memory; and now self-centered and easily agitated. If you're over 65 years old ....

Rather than waste my time and effort (yet again!), replying to your worthless posts, I'll just add you to my Ignore List (click on "User CP" and scroll down the left hand column), so that I don't even see your posts. For the peace of CGN and your own mental well-being, I suggest you do the same.
LOL

Typical keyboard commando

Mr. Cut&Paste

Talk about worthless posts, based on ZERO knowledge of SLO county.

They are Fake News. Based on political nonsense that you read, not reality or facts.

I'll submit that my EXPERIENCE as a long time RESIDENT of SLO county actually does contribute

I know many people that have applied, been approved, and been denied.

Easily agitated? LOL

I'm not the one having to resort and hide behind an Ignore List.

I'll take your hate all day, bring it.

As far what the deal is in SLO county, anyone feel free to message me, I'll fill you in.

Last edited by Hopalong; 12-16-2018 at 10:12 AM..