Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 12-09-2018, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Default Can We Talk Heated Gloves

I would appreciate hearing your experience with low voltage heated gloves, please, tell me your pros and cons.

My fingertips freeze during the winter, because the circulation in my fingertips isn't enough to provide warmth using regular cold weather gloves, I use a chemical warmer. The chemical hand warmers do work for me, but I wanted to try something different. I will use both, the chemical hand warmer, and the Volta Trtra Heated Gloves (not at the same time). The top end, low voltage heated golves go upwards to nearly 500 bucks.

I purchased the Men's Volt Tatra Heated snow gloves, Black, X-Large $139.93, $150.77 with tax. The ones that I got are ranked 10, last on the, 10 Best Heated Gloves List. I can easily return them, get replacement parts, exchanges, and or get extra batteries. I will use them while calling coyotes, setting up motion sensors, trail cams, and bait and lure sites.

https://www.glovesmag.com/heated-gloves/

Thank You
Old 12-09-2018, 8:57 PM
Calguns Addict

I don't think anyone has any experience with heated gloves..
Nice racks are much better. You can grab both sides of the rack to help stabilize while mounting.
Quote:
ProShooter's
You'd never guess that human beings are apex predators reading some of the weepy vaginas in this thread, it's a moose people, who cares.
Old 12-09-2018, 9:42 PM
Calguns Addict

I've used heated gloves on a motorcycle and they are awesome in sub freezing conditions. But they plug into the bike, not sure how well these battery opperated ones work. I can't imagine battery tech allowing the to work for more than an hour or two. If your going to be in a static location, I would see if you can find a pair that can be run off an external battery like a 12v gel cell motorycle battery.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:04 PM
Calguns Addict

No experience with electric gloves.

Season before last hunting in Wyoming it was regularly in the 0-20 degree range. I made due with convertable mittens (half finger gloves with a mitten portion that flips up) loaded with a hand warmer in the mitten portion. Worked really well for me.

I considered just wearing lighter weight gloves and using a handwarmer like I'd use for duck hunting (loaded with the insta heat packs) but the glove/mitt things worked well.
Old 12-10-2018, 6:52 AM
Veteran Member

One of my hunting partners was using a heated jacket this year in deer camp, he purchased it on kickstarter. He gets cold easily and said the jacket really worked well for him, he recharged it ea night using USB ports on our vehicles.

The gloves might have there place, personally if you are layered properly you should be able to make to with a good pair of gloves.
Old 12-10-2018, 7:40 AM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

I used a pair of Gerbing's T5 battery powered gloves while riding my motorcycle. Loved them. Never used them on anything longer than an hour ride or so.

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché

Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?
Old 12-10-2018, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

Best and most reliable bet for heating your hands up is cupping your nut sack.

I’d be surprised if a battery powered unit could last long enough to make the extra weight and gear worth it.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony270 View Post
I would appreciate hearing your experience with low voltage heated gloves, please, tell me your pros and cons.

My fingertips freeze during the winter, because the circulation in my fingertips isn't enough to provide warmth using regular cold weather gloves, I use a chemical warmer. The chemical hand warmers do work for me, but I wanted to try something different. I will use both, the chemical hand warmer, and the Volta Trtra Heated Gloves (not at the same time). The top end, low voltage heated golves go upwards to nearly 500 bucks.

I purchased the Men's Volt Tatra Heated snow gloves, Black, X-Large $139.93, $150.77 with tax. The ones that I got are ranked 10, last on the, 10 Best Heated Gloves List. I can easily return them, get replacement parts, exchanges, and or get extra batteries. I will use them while calling coyotes, setting up motion sensors, trail cams, and bait and lure sites.

https://www.glovesmag.com/heated-gloves/

Thank You
Heated gloves are nice but I settled on wearing mittens - they are substantially warmer than gloves if you can do what you need to do while wearing them.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:51 PM

I got my significant other a pair of Hestra heated gloves for Christmas a few years back. She loves them. They were pretty pricey, but I don't have to hear about her complaining about how cold her hands are and how she wants to go back in.

They last about 3-8 hours, depending upon how high you turn them. The goal is to set them so that your fingers don't get cold -- not so that your fingers are warm (which causes you to sweat in your gloves, reduce your run time, and make your fingers colder when the batteries go out).

The Warming Store has a good selection.

Me, I just wear a pair of Black Diamond Guide gloves.

https://www.backcountry.com/black-di...SABEgKH-fD_BwE
Old 12-10-2018, 2:59 PM
CGSSA Associate

I know the pain of finger tips early morning, so cold feeling like they’re made of glass, while steelhead fishing cold rivers or winter bass fishing on the delta. Someone mentioned mittens, I use 'em, the Simms I have can be pulled back so you can use the reel, feel the line, etc. When on the move, pull back over the fingers., they work well for me. I've also used the chemical packs which is another good choice and normally have one in my winter gear. Sorry, no experience using heated gloves.

Last edited by zio707; 12-12-2018 at 5:25 AM..
Old 12-10-2018, 6:11 PM

I work with a couple guys who have a heated jacket from Milwaukee. The jacket takes the m12 battery that fits in their drills/ratchets/etc. The jacket has the wires run down the arms so you could plug in the heated gloves if you chose to do so. They say the jacket is pretty toasty on the lowest setting
Old 12-10-2018, 9:41 PM
Veteran Member

I really appreciate all the replies. I might end up with some mittens, even good gloves work, but I ball my hands into a fist inside them. The issue is when I have to take them off to perform a task. After that, when I put the gloves back on, my fingers won't worm back up without a chemical heater. The new gloves will be here Wednesday, I will test them then, and will be carful to not overheat my hands to much causing them to sweet, back-up chemical heaters, and or a fire will be in line if and when that happens.

The nads hang too low to produce heat, tried it, my arm pits are what I use.

Last edited by tony270; 12-10-2018 at 9:43 PM..
Old 12-10-2018, 10:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Have you ever tried the Zippo hand warmers? They run for 6 or 12 hours off of lighter fluid. They come in a small (6 hr) and large (12 hr) size. I have a 6 hr for each pocket and they work great for times when you are just sitting around. The small ones are not much bigger than a typical zippo lighter.
Old 12-11-2018, 9:48 AM
Veteran Member

I remember those G-forceJunkie, forgot about them when the chemical heaters came out. Back then my fingertips weren't damaged and produced enough heat for gloves to work. Thanks for the idea, Amazon has some nice ones listed, I'm ordering 2, thanks again.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I really appreciate all the replies. I might end up with some mittens, even good gloves work, but I ball my hands into a fist inside them. The issue is when I have to take them off to perform a task.
Might consider glove liners with the mittens if the tasks are short enough.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedle View Post
Might consider glove liners with the mittens if the tasks are short enough.
This is what I do while climbing in high/cold/wintery places. I thin pair of gloves and a large pair of waterproof mittens. If I need to do something that requires dexterity I pop my hand out of my mitten and do the task. If I'm climbing I take the gloves and mittens off and, usually, just moving keeps my hands (barely) warm enough until I can anchor and belay. I'm sure I'd do something different if I were climbing big mountains but in the 14ers, even in winter that's usually good enough. For hunting I still just use the convertible mitten/glove things.

The mittens I use climbing or winter backpacking are large enough to fit over some medium weight soft-shell gloves, which provides for an extremely warm combo with enough dexterity to do most things. In milder weather I wear thinner 'jogging' gloves or whatever which provide even better dexterity.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

My brother had this thing about the size of a Sucrets box that held a burning stick of coal - smoldered away for hours and got really hot.

Something like this.
https://express.google.com/u/0/produ...0aAhXHEALw_wcB

Go to Amazon and search for "celsius solid fuel hand warmer" and it'll come up.

In interpreting this text, we are guided by the principle that “[t]he Constitution was written to be understood by the voters; its words and phrases were used in their normal and ordinary as distinguished from technical meaning.” United States v. Sprague, 282 U. S. 716, 731 (1931) -Scalia majority opinion in Heller

Last edited by Epaphroditus; 12-11-2018 at 12:14 PM..
Old 12-11-2018, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

Heated gloves? Seriously? Invest in quality gloves with 40-80 grams of Thinsulate and they will be perfect for cold hunting conditions. I used my old 40 grams of thinsulate gloves in Colorado this year and it got down to 3 degrees. My hands were fine. I didn't even need the 80 grams of thinsulate gloves.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmCheese View Post
This is what I do while climbing in high/cold/wintery places. I thin pair of gloves and a large pair of waterproof mittens.
Always worked well for me in Central Oregon. I also carried a couple of these for 'emergency' use: https://www.amazon.com/HotSnapZ-Warm.../dp/B004CV2YXE

Reset them in boiling water.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:42 PM
Banned

Best hand and all warmers.
BTW, why to ask after you already bought it?

Old 12-11-2018, 2:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Have you considered a hand muff? Friend used one last season, got down to the teens, he said it was awesome.
Old 12-11-2018, 4:54 PM
Veteran Member

You can also see heater tape to your fav gloves.

I know a guy who made a while heated suit for winter time astrophotography.

https://www.oemheaters.com/product/6...le-5-wattsfoot
Old 12-11-2018, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
You can also see heater tape to your fav gloves.

I know a guy who made a while heated suit for winter time astrophotography.

https://www.oemheaters.com/product/6...le-5-wattsfoot
I used to use miles of that stuff to keep pipes from freezing, never thought to use it in a suit.
Old 12-12-2018, 9:14 AM

Quote:
I really appreciate all the replies. I might end up with some mittens, even good gloves work, but I ball my hands into a fist inside them. The issue is when I have to take them off to perform a task. After that, when I put the gloves back on, my fingers won't worm back up without a chemical heater. <snip>
I'll second mittens: if you really need warmth they are inherently superior to gloves.

Also: Granted everyone is different, but know that if your body is cold it cuts down on circulation to your extremities first (hands, feet). I've had more success at wearing warmer jackets/pants/hat as a solution to cold hands and feet than actually trying to get warmer boots/gloves. In another light: treat the problem not the symptoms.

Good luck.
Old 12-13-2018, 8:42 AM
Veteran Member

When I was a young man I would form my hands into blades, then I would stick them through cardboard boxes in the warehouse that I worked. Sometimes I would form them into claws and hit a box so hard, that my fingertips and thumb would penetrate the box. I did this as part of my Kung Fu conditioning. That's what I did being the streetfighter that I was. And now I'm paying for it.

I can tell you that I took the new gloves out for a short test walk last night, then this morning I drove my ZJ with the windows down, 36F, for 20 minutes, and these badboys are more that what I expected.

I aslo purchase a couple of 6 hour Zipo Hand Warmers and a fuel carrier. Now what about socks?
Old 12-13-2018, 8:48 AM
Veteran Member

Smile

Mittens do work for me, until I take my hands out of them. Here's a pic, almost ready for the first assent...

Last edited by tony270; 12-26-2018 at 12:11 PM..
Old 12-13-2018, 10:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Now what about socks?
As for keeping my feet warm. My mountaineering boots are lightly insulated and I wear thin socks under them. If I'm done for the day or at a really long belay I'll loosen them up to ensure good blood flow and my feet are generally fine. For hunting I don't wear insulated boots until it's 30* or less, relying instead on some marginally thick (heavy hiking, backpacking, whatever) socks (smartwool being my favorite, though I'm just starting to acquire some darn toughs).

Last year when I was hunting in 0-20 degree weather, I wore my normal hunting socks and a pair of military surplus mickey mouse boots. I feet were toasty even while sitting still for hours and they weren't anywhere near as bad to walk in as the internet made it sound. They're cheap too, but definitely not a technical boot.
Old 12-13-2018, 1:55 PM
Veteran Member

I need a pair of Mickey Mouse Boots, thanks.