Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Sacramento Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2019, 10:48 AM

Default Placer Sporting Club

Hey everyone,
Lately my FB feed has been showing ads for a "new" indoor shooting range called Placer Sporting Club. It's a membership only range and is the same location where Capital Gun Club operated. Their website doesn't list their membership fees, just an email address.

www.placersportingclub.com

Anyone know anything about them?
American Legion Member

CCW: OR, UT, FL, AZ, NV & CA

"Every tyrant in history has known you can't control an armed population. That is why Hitler, Stalin and Mao were strongly against an armed citizenry, while George Washington, John Adams and Thomas Jefferson were for it." - B. Wentzel, AZ.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:00 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Sounds like membership scam 2.0 in the making. How many times will people fall for it? Hopefully I'm wrong.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1505489

It is owned by the same people who opened SAFTA, Jessie Meeker and Brandon Banks.

Quote:
Safe, Family-Friendly, Indoor Shooting Range is Open for Business!
PLACER SPORTING CLUB·MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 16, 2019·

The year was 1999 at Del Oro High School. My best friend Jessie Meeker and I said what any 16 year old would say to their buddy... “we should totally go into business together someday.”

Shortly thereafter I (Brandon) joined the Marine Corps and he (Jessie) enlisted in the Army (don’t judge). After I finished college at University of Arizona #BearDown and he spent eight years protecting the streets of Marana, Arizona as a Police Officer, we went on to open SAFTA, which is now Sacramento’s #1 Firearms and Security Training Academy.

The goal was always to have our own shooting range. 20 years after we said we’d go into business together, I’m excited to announce that we’ve now opened up Placer Sporting Club in Roseville, CA. This is the only (non-LEO) indoor shooting range in Placer County. We’ve only been open a few months, and the response has been amazing. If you’re a Police Officer or a civilian enthusiast... a Veteran or simply just love this great nation (this is a requirement)... and are looking for a safe place to shoot, be sure to reach out to learn more!

We’re member-only and all members are subject to background checks. We can’t wait to see you soon!
Unless they come out and address the elephant in the room (which is that the last club model there failed and the members all got burned) - it's a hard no from me. Anyone joining should just consider their 'security deposit' more of an 'initiation fee' and not expect to get it back.

Since they have not posted any fees or prices, there is no way to know if it is worth considering or not.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 10-04-2019 at 11:22 AM..
Old 10-05-2019, 7:17 PM

I've been seeing them on fb aswell, as soon as I saw no prices just seemed fishy to me. And I'm not gonna sign up for a club that will subject me to background checks at who evers will
Old 10-06-2019, 3:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Like SkyHawk, HARD pass. The only reviews I have seen seem like paid posts. Sketchy at best.

Need some AR500 targets? Free $10 credit.
https://shootingtargets7.com/store/?...pBdnFlL0FxS3M9
Old 10-06-2019, 4:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Huh .I always thought sporting clubs was where you played billiards downstairs in front room gambled in the back and horehouse on second floor. Backbone of clubs that keep demorats happy ever since Lincoln took their slaves.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:34 AM

I am going to try contacting them and get some information on the memberships and pricing.

It would be nice to have a range in the Roseville area close to where I live. We will see if there is an initial fee or deposit. If there is, that would probably be a deal breaker as the previous business model proved not to be successful, and I am not a big fan of losing money.

I enjoy shooting but can only get to the range every month or two, so I have a feeling it will not be worth the cost for me.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26.2madness View Post
I am going to try contacting them and get some information on the memberships and pricing.

It would be nice to have a range in the Roseville area close to where I live. We will see if there is an initial fee or deposit. If there is, that would probably be a deal breaker as the previous business model proved not to be successful, and I am not a big fan of losing money.

I enjoy shooting but can only get to the range every month or two, so I have a feeling it will not be worth the cost for me.
I live in Roseville and frequent the Dillman Range in Lincoln. Well run and a short drive.
Old 11-09-2019, 5:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Sounds like membership scam 2.0 in the making. How many times will people fall for it? Hopefully I'm wrong.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1505489

It is owned by the same people who opened SAFTA, Jessie Meeker and Brandon Banks.

Unless they come out and address the elephant in the room (which is that the last club model there failed and the members all got burned) - it's a hard no from me. Anyone joining should just consider their 'security deposit' more of an 'initiation fee' and not expect to get it back.

Since they have not posted any fees or prices, there is no way to know if it is worth considering or not.
There’s no elephant in the room, as these guys weren’t (to my knowledge,) affiliated with the scumbags who ran the Capitol Gun Club, Roseville.

On the plus side, as you note, they have been running SAFTA, which seems highly regarded.

Also, SAFTA doesn’t have a range (they sub out facilities requirements to independent ranges). This allows them to vertically integrate.

On the neg,

1. They haven’t published their business model.
2. In Sept, they say they’ve been open a few months. Then the “Grand Opening” was on Nov 1. Not even the Turner’s A-holes are that far out.
3. One of the Google positive comments was made by the President (owner) of SAFTA and this range.
4. Another of the Google positive comments is from a guy who did his BSIS guard card cert there, and has nothing to do with “membership”. (Although it does support the vertical integration theory, above.)

Personally, I have no dog in the fight, as I’m too far south of this to give a damn, but without their business model/cost structure, it’s too early to support or condemn them.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:30 AM

I was able to get some information on membership costs. I would need to shoot about 4 times a month to break-even cost wise (and that is based on a limited time discount on the initiation fee). I would love to be able to shoot that much, but I do not have the time or ammo money for that.

Too bad they do not use the Sacramento Gun Club model. If they used this pricing model, I (and at least 2 or 3 friends) would immediately sign up. Much cheaper memberships, very nice facilities, plus you can shoot there without a membership. It is just too far away from me to be convenient.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26.2madness View Post
I was able to get some information on membership costs. I would need to shoot about 4 times a month to break-even cost wise (and that is based on a limited time discount on the initiation fee). I would love to be able to shoot that much, but I do not have the time or ammo money for that.

Too bad they do not use the Sacramento Gun Club model. If they used this pricing model, I (and at least 2 or 3 friends) would immediately sign up. Much cheaper memberships, very nice facilities, plus you can shoot there without a membership. It is just too far away from me to be convenient.
What are the numbers?
Old 11-14-2019, 3:53 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
There’s no elephant in the room, as these guys weren’t (to my knowledge,) affiliated with the scumbags who ran the Capitol Gun Club, Roseville.
But they are in the same building, with the same business model (seemingly), and presumably going after the same group or type of customers.

So even though they did not have anything to do with the last guys who were there and who ran off with everyone's "deposit", IMO they should still address it. Not because they have to, but because it is what a smart business owner would do.

And if you are thinking of plunking down an initiation fee or whatever they want to call their lump sump jump in, you'd hope the place was going to be run by smart business people so it would be around for awhile.

Pretending like people did not lose money at the exact same place with the exact same plan, just doesn't seem like an option. But maybe they see it differently.

Either way, good luck to them.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 11-14-2019 at 3:55 PM..
Old 12-04-2019, 11:12 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

They have addressed the previous owner's mistakes and offered existing clients and new members a period of reduced entrance fees. This period lasted the first few months they were open and they offered a 75% discount to existing members and 50% discount to new members or friends/family of existing. Something like that.

The previous owner was caught using a few LEO's personal information to buy non-roster pistols and re-sell them to people in CA. He even used his middle finger as the fingerprint on the paperwork. I believe he ended up pleading guilty, there are a few news articles floating around out there on the interwebz.

This is an amazing facility and I was a member before it hit the fan. I could go shoot 100 rounds on lunch and still have 30 min to run errands. It was always clean and anyone who disrespects the rules wont be allowed back in. I was usually the only person there, sometimes I would have another person or two show up. I'm wasn't in the right place to re-purchase another membership when they were offered again or I would have. It was a nice way to relax on lunch break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
But they are in the same building, with the same business model (seemingly), and presumably going after the same group or type of customers.

So even though they did not have anything to do with the last guys who were there and who ran off with everyone's "deposit", IMO they should still address it. Not because they have to, but because it is what a smart business owner would do.

And if you are thinking of plunking down an initiation fee or whatever they want to call their lump sump jump in, you'd hope the place was going to be run by smart business people so it would be around for awhile.

Pretending like people did not lose money at the exact same place with the exact same plan, just doesn't seem like an option. But maybe they see it differently.

Either way, good luck to them.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:19 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Huh I thought a sporting club was a whorhous.