Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 10-14-2010, 10:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Imperial

How may I apply for a concealed weapons permit?

Applications for concealed weapon permit can be obtained and are processed at the Imperial County Sheriff’s Office Records Unit. For information on requirements please go to the FORM section and click on ICSO CCW Requirements. Questions may be directed to (760) 339 6345.

http://www.icso.org/records/records-faq/

Member, CRPA Board of Directors
"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." - Edmund Burke

Search Calguns using Google
CGN Search plugin for Firefox & IE CA Shotgun AW ID Flowchart CA Handgun AW ID Flowchart CA Senate CA Assembly Anti-2A Search Plugin

Last edited by Paladin; 01-03-2016 at 2:33 PM..
Old 10-18-2010, 3:23 PM

Let's kick this pig!!!

the question here is not whether the carrying of arms is a good idea—the question is
whether carrying arms is constitutionally protected. Objective standards and due process—not
Defendants’ philosophy or personal beliefs about the value of this activity—must carry the day-Alan Gura
Old 10-18-2010, 3:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D.Allen View Post
Let's kick this pig!!!
Do you currently live in Imperial County? Did you volunteer already?

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." - Edmund Burke

CGN Search plugin for Firefox & IE CA Shotgun AW ID Flowchart CA Handgun AW ID Flowchart CA Senate CA Assembly Anti-2A Search Plugin
Old 10-20-2010, 2:55 PM

No. I live in Yuma, AZ which neighbors Imperial county. I work most of the time in Imperial county and reside part time in San Diego county though. Yes, I volunteered.

the question here is not whether the carrying of arms is a good idea—the question is
whether carrying arms is constitutionally protected. Objective standards and due process—not
Defendants’ philosophy or personal beliefs about the value of this activity—must carry the day-Alan Gura
Old 12-14-2010, 11:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Imperial County CCW Packet updated to include:
  • "Concealed Weapon License Renewal Up-Date Information Form"
  • "Imperial County Sheriff’s Office Carrying A Concealed Weapon Requirements - 4/7/09"
Updated CCW Packet can be found Here

Old 08-30-2011, 2:57 PM

So I am going to be moving to El Centro/Brawley area and was wondering if I have any better chance of getting a CCW there than in San Diego. I am thinking not after reading the info available for imperial county requiring 3 character ref. letters and psych testing. I though both of those requirements were illegal.
Old 12-23-2014, 8:44 PM

Anyone know of any changes?
Old 06-21-2015, 2:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Just went to the SO's website and looks like no mention of CCWs....
http://www.icso.org/

Sheriff Loera must think we're still in the 1990s.

Old 06-26-2015, 1:53 PM

http://icso.org/CCW_requirements_modified.pdf

Direct link to application.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexbizket View Post
I wonder why he hides it?

Maybe this has something to do with it (emphasis in original):

2. The Applicant shall submit three (3) letters of reference: One (1) CHARACTER REFERENCE LETTER; from an active peace officer, (must be an active California peace officer such as, California Highway Patrol, Sheriff’s Deputy, Police Officer, or Fish & Game Warden – who lives and works within the Imperial County) and Two (2) CHARACTER REFERENCE LETTERS from individuals, other than relatives, who live in the Imperial County

*** THE FOLLOWING CANNOT WRITE THE PEACE OFFICER REFERENCE LETTER ***
U.S. Custom, U.S. Border Patrol, Department of Corrections / Prisons

and, of course (emphasis in original):

7. IMPORTANT INFORMATION – Interview process
You will be required to provide just cause and meet the necessary prerequisites as described on the CCW application, before your application can be considered. Upon completion of your first interview your application will be forwarded to the Sheriff for his final decision.
Old 07-09-2015, 7:04 PM

ccw's in imperial valley are a myth. Unless you are a wealthy farmer or have a good last name, you have no chance.
Old 07-09-2015, 7:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Reggie_2m View Post
ccw's in imperial valley are a myth. Unless you are a wealthy farmer or have a good last name, you have no chance.
Yes, they definitely are restrictive on both GC and GMC. But, if you/someone really wants a CCW and has $$$, you can hire a lawyer and/or investigator and see if they in fact are consistently applying the below requirements to ALL applicants. If not, the below explains how the sheriff is vulnerable to a Guillory federal civil rights lawsuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
I wonder why he hides it?

Maybe this has something to do with it (emphasis in original):

2. The Applicant shall submit three (3) letters of reference: One (1) CHARACTER REFERENCE LETTER; from an active peace officer, (must be an active California peace officer such as, California Highway Patrol, Sheriff’s Deputy, Police Officer, or Fish & Game Warden – who lives and works within the Imperial County) and Two (2) CHARACTER REFERENCE LETTERS from individuals, other than relatives, who live in the Imperial County

*** THE FOLLOWING CANNOT WRITE THE PEACE OFFICER REFERENCE LETTER ***
U.S. Custom, U.S. Border Patrol, Department of Corrections / Prisons

and, of course (emphasis in original):

7. IMPORTANT INFORMATION – Interview process
You will be required to provide just cause and meet the necessary prerequisites as described on the CCW application, before your application can be considered. Upon completion of your first interview your application will be forwarded to the Sheriff for his final decision.
I posed the below in the Monterey Co thread, but it applies equally here. If someone is determined to get a CCW in Imperial Co, this method is probably the best way of doing it. The relevant cases are CBS v. Block (for PRA requests), Salute v. Pitchess (requiring the IA to exercise their discretion), and Guillory v. Gates/Co of Orange (14th A Equal Protection attack).

Quote:
So, they say SD = GC, but then push GMC through the roof and, it appears, make your RKBA subject to your neighbors', co-workers' and friends' ratification....

If Bernal does NOT follow this same procedure with ALL CCW applicants (think political donors, "friends of the sheriff"/"posse" members, politicians, celebrities), he's open for a Guillory-type 14th A Equal Protection federal lawsuit, but for GMC rather than GC.

Hypothetically, let's say there's a world-famous film star (and director) who lives in (and was once the mayor of) Carmel-By-The-Sea, a city which, acc to CGF's 2013 survey, does not issue CCWs. We'll call him "Mr. E." Let's suppose Mr. E has a Monterey SO CCW. When it is/was time to renew, if the sheriff has the same policy for renewals that means his "background investigator" would have to go to Mr. E's neighbors (who, unlike his friends, may be hard-core antis), and "ask them if they would recommend [Mr. E] be issued a CCW permit." Not only would the same procedure have to be followed, but the same standard as to judging whether to issue or not be followed. IOW, let's say 1 of your neighbors says "Nyet!" when asked if you should get a CCW and because of that you are denied. If 1 of Mr. E's neighbors also said "No!" and yet was issued, that too is a 14th A Equal Protection violation.

Last edited by Paladin; 07-09-2015 at 8:00 PM..
Old 07-09-2015, 8:07 PM

Paladin, you reply is very useful.
But at the end of the day, most people in the valley cannot get a letter from a LEO and constitute and good cause to satisfy the sheriffs dept.

There are so may hoops of fire to jump through. Oh how i envy Arizona.
Old 07-09-2015, 8:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Reggie_2m View Post
Paladin, you reply is very useful.
But at the end of the day, most people in the valley cannot get a letter from a LEO and constitute and good cause to satisfy the sheriffs dept.

There are so may hoops of fire to jump through.
It is only because of the ongoing drama w/Peruta and now SCOTUS that I even bring up the old "Team Billy Jack" lawsuit approach for those with both the determination and resources to pursue such action in hardcore anti counties.

For the vast majority of us with anti sheriffs, our only hope is replacing the sheriff or Peruta or another Carry Case.

Last edited by Paladin; 07-09-2015 at 8:17 PM..
Old 09-06-2018, 5:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I was looking at the SO's website. Under "Forms" then "Records Forms" they've got info re. CCW Initial Requirements, CCW License Application (the standard state DOJ app) and info re. CCW Renewal Update on their website: http://www.icso.org/section/FORMS

If you look at the Initial Apps 3 page info document, it says:

Quote:
Two-Year Resident CCW

State Fingerprint Processing $32.00

FBI Fingerprint Processing $17.00

Initial Firearms Eligibility Check $22.00

Annual Firearms Eligibility Check $22.00

ICSO Administrative Costs $58.18

Total $151.18
It mentions an "Imperial County Sheriff’s Office administration fee of $11.64" that you pay when you turn in your app (and find out if your GC passes).

There is a DOJ fee of $93 that you pay if your GC passes muster.

Plus, you then have to pay for training ($140 to $200, depending upon approved instructor).

But it looks like it is pretty cheap to apply and get denied.

If you know a CA LEO who lives and works in Imperial Co, give it a shot and let us know how it goes.

Last edited by Paladin; 09-16-2018 at 12:17 PM..
Old 12-03-2018, 2:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Exclamation ANYONE apply and get denied or issued an Imperial Co Sheriff Office CCW???

ANYONE apply and get denied or issued an Imperial Co Sheriff Office CCW???

If so, please make a post about your experience, including a rough idea of your Good Cause statement (but not so much info as to identify yourself).

We are painfully lacking info on their GC policy and issuance practice.

Thx!

ETA: I'm one of the guys involved with making the CA CCW GC map
Old 01-04-2019, 6:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

FWIW Loera won re-election w/100% of the vote in June.
Old 07-18-2019, 9:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

According to this recent news article, Imperial Co has 132 CCWs and a pop. of ~190,000

https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local...232198382.html
Old 09-11-2020, 10:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

For those thinking about applying, below is the latest revision of my breakdown of the meaning of the Dark Red, Light Red and Yellow categories. If you do apply, be sure to let us know, via a post, or at least me, via a PM, how it went and any insights you can share.

Quote:
The below GC categories are listed from, roughly, weakest to strongest. Note well there's a range within each category. For example, someone who's work equipment is worth $10,000 (might pass Light Red) is assumed to be more at risk than someone who's equipment is worth only $1,000 (might pass Yellow). Plus, remember that equipment that cost you $1,000 isn't equivalent to someone making $500 cash deposits. Your equipment is not only used (let's say it would fetch $600), but also it's stolen (might then drop that to $300). Similarly, someone who walks with a slight limp (might pass Dark Green), is not as vulnerable as someone who requires a cane (might pass Light Green) and they're not as vulnerable as someone who requires a wheelchair (might pass Yellow). Evaluation of GC isn't black and white, but often shades of gray, a judgment call. That's one of the reasons why we say the map may be off by 1 color in either direction. So, if you have a GC that is listed under Light Green below it might pass in a Yellow county. Apply if you really want a CCW and can afford to waste the time, money and effort in applying since you're most likely to be denied. (Going through the process might be good practice.) Remember: we should win a robust 2nd A RBA from SCOTUS by 2021 July 01.

<snip>

All the below will likely pass in a Yellow county Some of us can get issued here.

(8) Lives in a remote area with little or no cellphone coverage and/or long LE response times. (Provide proof of residence location, photos of your acreage, of you farming/ranching, etc) N.B. While this may work with SLO Co SOs, it will not work with Alameda Co SO; not sure re. Napa and Yolo Co SOs.

(9) Employees required to work in remote locales at all hours with little or no cellphone coverage and/or long LE response times (e.g., wilderness photographer, surveyors, construction workers). (Get letter from employer supporting the application and willingness to accept liability, copies of relevant certificates/licenses, provide photos of you doing job, value of equipment) restricted to on-the-job only N.B. Your CCW may be restricted to on-the-job only.

(10) Employees at heightened risk due visiting isolated locations required by their employment (e.g., female RE agents showing houses to strangers at all hours while alone). (Get letter from employer supporting the application and willingness to accept liability, copies of relevant certificates/licenses, provide photos of you doing job, etc) N.B. Your CCW may be restricted to on-the-job only.

(11) Employees (e.g., business managers, property managers) who are at heightened risk due to valuables associated with their employment (e.g., Au/Ag, jewelry, pharmaceuticals, firearms, ammo or gunpowder ("inherently dangerous property"), cash sales or rental deposits). Get letter from employer supporting the application and willingness to accept liability, copies of relevant certificates/licenses, provide photos of you doing job, etc N.B. Your CCW may be restricted to on-the-job only.

(12) The nature of the business or occupation of the applicant is such that it is subject to personal risk and / or criminal attack, greater than the general population (e.g., private investigators, process servers, plain clothes security guards, bodyguards, taxi drivers). (Get letter from employer supporting the application and willingness to accept liability, copies of relevant certificates/licenses, photos of you on the job, etc.) N.B. Your CCW may be restricted to on-the-job only.

All the below will likely pass in a Light Red county. Few of us can get issued here.

(13) Business owners required to work at all hours in remote locales with little or no cellphone coverage and/or long LE response times (e.g., professional farmer or rancher, wilderness photographer, surveyor, contractor). (copies of relevant certificates/licenses, provide photos of you doing job at remote locations, value of equipment, etc) N.B. Your CCW may be restricted to on-the-job only.

(14) Business owners who are at heightened risk due to valuables associated with their profession or business activities (e.g., Au/Ag dealers, jewelry dealers, MD/pharmacists/pharma sales rep, business owner or landlord making cash sales or rental deposits, maybe NRA Instructor, RSO and FFL dealers due to regularly transporting "inherently dangerous property"). (written description of your business activities, copies of relevant certificates/licenses, provide photos of you doing job, etc) N.B. Your CCW may be restricted to on-the-job only.

The below Good Cause will likely pass in a Dark Red county. This is Virtual No Issue because virtually none of us can get issued here. There are 3 levels in Dark Red (from most restrictive to least): actual No Issue. SF and Santa Clara, for awhile, were once this. Next, corrupt issue. LA is like this per the CSA's report: 25 out of 25 audited files did not follow their own CCW policy re. residency and 24 out of 25 did not follow their own policy on GC. Last is Virtual No Issue: this is where they issue for category #15 below and only for that.

(15) They are at heightened risk due to a documented "clear & present danger to life, or great bodily harm" against them or an immediate family member (e.g., crazy ex- or disgruntled fired employee, stalker, anonymous nut case/evildoer, etc.). These GC policies are usually based upon CA State AG John Van de Kamp's early 1980s Opinion letter and require a number of additional conditions be present. (Proof includes police reports (if BG unknown), permanent restraining order (if BG known), evidence of current threats (e.g., audio recordings, video/pictures, written threats, etc).)
Old 09-13-2020, 10:21 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Going by the examples immediately above, has anyone been issued an Imperial SO CCW for Yellow Good Causes (8, 9, 10, 11 or 12)?

Last edited by Paladin; 09-13-2020 at 10:25 AM..
Old 02-16-2021, 3:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

(I’m copying and modifying below the post I made re Santa Barbara Co SO just to save time & effort.)

I spoke with Chief Detective Benavidez (via Records at 442-265-2125), the LEO who handles CCWs for the sheriff. Not wanting to take too much of his time, I ran by him four general categories of GC: (1) Dark Red: personal threats or attacks supported by police reports (and restraining orders if BG known). (2) Light Red: business ownership or professional risks (e.g., regular large cash deposits or carrying valuables (e.g., gold, silver, jewelry), on the job). (3) Yellow: employment risks: pretty much the same as #2 but for employees rather than business owners. (4) Light Green: recreational risks such as recreational activities in rural or wilderness areas with spotty cell phone coverage and long LE response times.

He said they’d issue for Dark Red, Light Red and Yellow. He said they may even issue for Light Green, recreational risks, depending upon how well you articulate the risk and the evidence you have to prove the risk.

So, based upon this I’m recommending Imperial Co be changed to Yellow the CA CCW GC map. That does NOT mean if you have a Dark Red, Light Red or Yellow you will automatically be issued: GMC, LiveScan, background check and interview all still matter. But it does mean if you have a GC that falls in those three colors (see post #31 at: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1482924) applying is worth trying if you want a CCW and you have solid proof. At Light Green you’re swimming upstream but even you have a chance if you make a good case for getting issued.

If you’re on the fence about applying I recommend calling the detective and running your GC by him. But first have your GC and proof/evidence fleshed out and organized like you were applying so that you can readily answer his questions without trying to remember details while on the phone. He was polite and professional but don’t waste LEOs’ time.

ETA: No, I don’t live in Imperial Co.

Last edited by Paladin; 02-17-2021 at 9:36 AM..
Old 04-30-2021, 5:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
For any who don’t know SCOTUS has taken a major gun rights case. It should be heard in the fall and decision released sometime before 2022 July 01. The case has to do with our Right to Bear Arms. More at: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1676407
Old 07-08-2021, 5:53 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Less than 11 months until the next sheriffs’ election! (early June 2022) If he hasn’t already, he’ll probably decide soon if he’s running again because he should lock-in endorsements of local and state politicians early.

Let us know if you hear about any challengers and their positions on CCWs.

Old 10-17-2021, 9:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

In case some of you would rather wait for the courts than fight at the local level you may be waiting for years more… see https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...6#post26268406
Old 11-21-2021, 3:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

There have been several cases of rideshare drivers and many cases of food delivery drivers using CCWs to save their lives. If you do that work and live in a Light Red or Yellow county you may want to print out news articles about such attacks (ones with and without CCWing drivers), to prove elevated GC.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/philadelp...162744266.html
Old 01-13-2022, 11:44 AM

Would being legally disabled (I have the paper work) be grounds for a GC? I also work security at a bar and saw a man being stabbed with a straight screwdriver and the dude got away. I was recently Deposed on that stabbing and was wondering if that’s grounds for justifiable GC. Thank you.

Yes, I live in IC.
Old 01-13-2022, 12:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezertRat760 View Post
Would being legally disabled (I have the paper work) be grounds for a GC?

I also work security at a bar and saw a man being stabbed with a straight screwdriver and the dude got away. I was recently Deposed on that stabbing and was wondering if that’s grounds for justifiable GC. Thank you.

Yes, I live in IC.
Read all my post from #19 above.

You're disabled to the point of needing a gun for self defense yet you’re employed as a bouncer?

Being disabled by itself? Probably not. BUT we have very little data to go off of for Imperial county.

Working as a bouncer in a bar: that brings up issue of carrying in an establishment that primarily serves alcohol. But if that’s your workplace and you’re not drinking… I can’t recall the law on that fact pattern.

Contact the sheriffs office (or read carefully the CCW info on their website) and ask how much you have to pay for “a Good Cause decision”. If you can afford to lose that much money, go for it. If not, wait for a SCOTUS decision in a major gun carry case that should be decided sometime before Independence Day.

Plz delete the other thread you started by selecting Edit, then select Advanced, then Delete and the bubble to confirm you want to delete it.

Last edited by Paladin; 01-13-2022 at 12:56 PM..
Old 01-13-2022, 12:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

A relative just got one in LA county.
Old 01-13-2022, 12:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Less than 11 months until the next sheriffs’ election! (early June 2022) If he hasn’t already, he’ll probably decide soon if he’s running again because he should lock-in endorsements of local and state politicians early.

Let us know if you hear about any challengers and their positions on CCWs.

The next sheriffs election is June 07! Best to find out who is running and what is their position on Good Cause for CCWs ASAP and support them (bumper stickers, yard or window signs, tell ranges, shooting buddies, family, friends, donate $$$, volunteer time, etc).
Old 01-13-2022, 1:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Also read through at least once my CA CCW Application Advice thread pinned at the top of the forum
Old 01-13-2022, 6:18 PM

Quote:
The next sheriffs election is June 07! Best to find out who is running and what is their position on Good Cause for CCWs ASAP and support them (bumper stickers, yard or window signs, tell ranges, shooting buddies, family, friends, donate $$$, volunteer time, etc).
Sheriff Ray Loera is not running for re-election. The Undersheriff, Miramontes, will be running for Sheriff. Hilton "Smitty" Smith is also running. I believe the Police Chiefs of Imperial and Brawley, Barra and Duran, have expressed interest. There is already huge amount of politics and jockeying of interest groups for the Sheriff's election.
Old 01-13-2022, 6:26 PM

Writing separately, to note that the Imperial County Sheriff has moved to CCW applications through Permitum, like some other counties. The link is https://imperialca.permitium.com/ccw/start

Paper applications at the Sheriff's office are no longer accepted. It's online through Permitium, which started in November or December of last year, I can't remember when exactly. There also were a few technical hiccups when it launched, because it was a copy and paste of Shasta's Permitium site and some things didn't work. When an application is submitted online, the last step will be scheduling an interview. It looks like interview spots are available now roughly two weeks out.

The three reference letters, including one from a local law enforcement officer, are still required.