Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 12-06-2023, 10:09 AM

Default Attorneys on Retainer opinions

Has anyone here signed up or used the "Attorneys on Retainer" CCW legal protection? Opinions? I've seen their YouTube videos and they seem better than the insurance plans in the surface.

Last edited by Rico911; 12-06-2023 at 5:42 PM..
Old 12-06-2023, 12:42 PM

They have a lot of good points however their coverage doesn’t start until you’ve been charged with a felony.
Old 12-06-2023, 1:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

EDIT-didn't realize this was a particular outfit rather than just retaining an attorney. With that in mind, take this with a grain of salt.

I am an attorney, but I do not represent CCW holders or, in fact, do any criminal defense work.

I am certain plenty of attorneys will gladly accept a retainer, and credit you with that amount should you ever need them.

My .02 is, do the research on who a few local attorneys are who are competent and well respected, and put that info in your phone.

Then pray you never need it. I don't see any advantage to having one "on retainer". They aren't going to do anything for you until something happens, so there is no time or effort saved in hiring them now.

Sort of like finding a good roofer and giving them $1k to stand by, even though you don't need a roof.

I have had this conversation with a few potential clients in the areas where I DO practice, and I always tell them to keep my number and call me when the need arises. If someone wants me to pick up the phone on the regular and advise them about, say employment matters, that is one thing. If they have a business and just feel like they "need a lawyer", typically they don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by repubconserv View Post
Print it out and frame it for all I care
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. J Beezy View Post
Unfortunately for you, I have the truth on my side and... I’m definitely better than you at what you make a living from.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 12-06-2023, 1:49 PM
Mountain Picker
CGN Contributor

This is really good advice.

Now, I just need to find a good lawyer's contact info who is up to snuff on SD/gun matters.
-P
Old 12-06-2023, 2:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston-CLB View Post
This is really good advice.

Now, I just need to find a good lawyer's contact info who is up to snuff on SD/gun matters.
-P
Although he will not represent you, Andrew Branca (Law of Self Defense) will be on your defense team as a consultant if you are a Platinum Member of LOSD. IMHO there is no one else who is as up to snuff on SD matters. You can get his book for the cost of shipping and handling. A steal in my opinion and the place you should start to learn SD law.

The first question I would have about Attorneys on Retainer, is who is going to pay for the experts and investigators?
Old 12-07-2023, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
EDIT-didn't realize this was a particular outfit rather than just retaining an attorney. With that in mind, take this with a grain of salt.

I am an attorney, but I do not represent CCW holders or, in fact, do any criminal defense work.

I am certain plenty of attorneys will gladly accept a retainer, and credit you with that amount should you ever need them.

My .02 is, do the research on who a few local attorneys are who are competent and well respected, and put that info in your phone.

Then pray you never need it. I don't see any advantage to having one "on retainer". They aren't going to do anything for you until something happens, so there is no time or effort saved in hiring them now.

Sort of like finding a good roofer and giving them $1k to stand by, even though you don't need a roof.

I have had this conversation with a few potential clients in the areas where I DO practice, and I always tell them to keep my number and call me when the need arises. If someone wants me to pick up the phone on the regular and advise them about, say employment matters, that is one thing. If they have a business and just feel like they "need a lawyer", typically they don't.
AOR charges a small monthly fee then covers legal costs if you get in a major legal predicament.

Much different than retaining an attorney. What probably would be best is having an attorney on hand initially then AOR policy kicks in in the event you are being charged with a felony. AOR will represent you up to that point for their normal hourly rate.