Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 10-04-2017, 3:04 PM

Default Ruger Precision Rifle - Accessories

Hi Calgunners,

Wanted to find out what accessories would be good to get for my rpr. So far I've purchased an Accushot Monopod, harris bipod, and Vortex Viper HST 6-24X50 scope. I use the gun primarily for bench shooting at Oak Tree Gun Club and Angeles.

Any accessories in general that might help with accuracy or further enjoyment?
-Bolt knob replacement?
-Rear bag? What size? Does brand make a difference? I know I already have monopod but would appreciate reviews.
-Cleaning Rod?

Thanks
Old 10-04-2017, 3:25 PM

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/gear-...upgrade-guide/
Old 10-04-2017, 3:39 PM

Spend money on ammo or reload. I have only a bipod and scope on mine. I use the bags supplied by the range for rear. Factory ammo I got 1 moa, federal gmm. Handloads I'm at 0.6 moa. 308 win, not the 6.5 creedmor. The gun shoots great, the human just needs to catch up to it.
Old 10-04-2017, 3:42 PM

return your Accushot Monopod, get a rear bag for Bench.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/1...-the-pros-use/
Old 10-04-2017, 4:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave626 View Post

This.
Monopods suck compared to a rear bag.
Rear bags are much faster to adjust on target.
Rear bags are also more stable and reduce the gun sliding around on the bench during each shot due to how they are used.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 10-04-2017, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRushx4 View Post
Hi Calgunners,

Wanted to find out what accessories would be good to get for my rpr. So far I've purchased an Accushot Monopod, harris bipod, and Vortex Viper HST 6-24X50 scope. I use the gun primarily for bench shooting at Oak Tree Gun Club and Angeles.

-Bolt knob replacement?
-Rear bag? What size? Does brand make a difference? I know I already have monopod but would appreciate reviews.
-Cleaning Rod?

Thanks
I'm picking one up soon which caliber did you get?
I'll probable run into you at Angeles
Old 10-05-2017, 5:16 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave626 View Post

every rifle I have put a monopod on I ended up removing it
I prefer bags
http://www.oniva.com/upload/204/Signature_copy_small.jpg
Visit http://www.cawheelburners.com
In memory of my friend Officer Ryan Bonaminio Riverside PD. Gone but not forgotten.
Old 10-05-2017, 5:54 PM

Hopefully you got the HBRMS model. The swivel and notched legs, if so, consider getting a podlock and Adaptive Solutions Pass.. you can then use Altas’ softer feet , leg extensions or Hawkhill feet. Something often missed is that the notched legs allow one hand adjustment.

https://www.coreshooting.com/collect...lution-systems

http://www.hawkhillcustom.com/store/...or_Harris.html

Casey’s mono pod is one if the best.. but I also am not a fan of them in general. The main argument that you might forget your bag really is a bit of a stretch, I’d rather take off my sock if I didn’t have a bag and use dirt and gravel.

Because of the type of system and accessories you purchased, I and assuming benchrest specific eared bags are not in play. For rear bags, forgetting all about size and shape, you have 2 basic concepts. Light and portable or heavy and more stable. The heavy fill will last forever and styrene fill in the light bags will compress out over time. SAP, TAB, Wiebad etc all make both.

One of my favorites, Str8Laced Ultra light Rear Bag has several features that allows it to act like a loosely filled bag, or a denser bag via tension cords. These were almost impossible to get for a while, but now Tab Gear is manufacturing them.

Theses fills can be had in the 3 basic uses of bags, rear supports, barricades and body support. But as the bags get bigger are primarily styrene filled.

Remember that some bags like pump pillows are not meant for the rear of the gun.. so a bit of homework is good. Many of use have a crazy collection of bags, so compressing out the fill out isn’t usually a reality, as you’ll see something along the road and want to try a new bag

LRI has some really cool goodies for your rifle.

Consider getting the better metal mags. Ya, I know magpul fan boys might argue, but the only thing they do better is the price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

D.I.Y. Barricade simulator using RRS tripod.

Last edited by diver160651; 10-05-2017 at 8:29 PM..
Old 10-05-2017, 5:55 PM

I changed out the stock for a magpul prs and grip for the k2+. Go to ruger website to check if your bolt shroud is under a recall. Mine was under the recall and ruger sent out a replacement in a few days.
Old 10-06-2017, 4:51 AM
Calguns Addict

My opinion:

Rear bag for sure. I like the Red Tac.

You need scope rings. You probably have them already, but you didn't mention it.

Bolt knob is jewelry, Ruger's is good to go. Forget it.

Throw lever for the bipod isn't needed, get the tension right and you'll never adjust it. ever.

Most important, seriously,

Throw away the Pmags (like now) and buy some AI mags. 2x 10 rounders is a fine place to be.
Old 10-06-2017, 8:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
My opinion:

Rear bag for sure. I like the Red Tac.

You need scope rings. You probably have them already, but you didn't mention it.

Bolt knob is jewelry, Ruger's is good to go. Forget it.

Throw lever for the bipod isn't needed, get the tension right and you'll never adjust it. ever.

Most important, seriously,

Throw away the Pmags (like now) and buy some AI mags. 2x 10 rounders is a fine place to be.

Were do you shoot that you never have to adjust your Bipod tension and were 10 rounders don’t occasionally get in the way?

Old 10-06-2017, 8:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Good point. I don't play games, so I don't run from barricade to barricade, nor know if I need adjustable tension to play those kinds of games.

For dinking around in field-prone position on a shooting mat, or in prone or on the bench at the range, I never need to adjust the tension. I should also admit that my RPR is not a 300 win mag, so I don't know if the weak recoil of my short action cartridge is a factor in that too.

Also good point about the 10 rounders. My range is on an incline, and I've shot in places before where the shooting position is on a decline. Since I don't shoot exclusively on a bench, I use the 9-13" bipod rather than the BR bipod, and suffer using a fatter rear bag. The result of having a minimum height of 9" on the bipod is that AI 10 rounders fit and clear when dropped out. Easily.

I freely admit if I shot a 6" bipod I would likely be happier with 5 rounders, or be trying those ARC 10 rounders. I might buy the ARCs anyways if I buy another set of magazines.

These are important clarifications, good to make them. (but metal mags are still needed over those pmags, even if they are 5 rounders!)

Last edited by Whiterabbit; 10-06-2017 at 8:48 AM..
Old 10-06-2017, 9:00 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver160651 View Post
Were do you shoot that you never have to adjust your Bipod tension and were 10 rounders don’t occasionally get in the way?
A bench.

Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Old 10-06-2017, 9:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRushx4 View Post
Hi Calgunners,

-Bolt knob replacement?
-Cleaning Rod?

Thanks
Oh, I totally forgot.

A huge enjoyment furtherer, buy a copy of OnTarget TDS. It costs less than a new bolt knob, and is awesome for load tracking and analysis. You will need a flatbed color scanner hooked up to your home network for maximum value of the program.

It's like using Sniper's Hide printout targets, except the software does all the analysis for you at the push of a button. I really like target #5.
Old 10-06-2017, 9:40 AM

Quote:
I might buy the ARCs anyways if I buy another set of magazines.

These are important clarifications, good to make them. (but metal mags are still needed over those pmags, even if they are 5 rounders!)
I'd stay away from the ARC mags until they get their follower worked out~ I've really wanted them too. I used a borrowed one in the talcum dust in the Central Valley and could NOT get it to cycle after a few mag loads. BTW this type of dust with a tiny bit of precip. turns glue like - killing triggers like Jewells etc.. so I could only imaging how bad they might have run with a tiny bit of drizzle added. I've heard others having many issues with clean mags.

Totally agree on the metal mag upgrade ~

The bipod adjustability isn't just key for running off a prop. but actual more so important when you just have an uneven FFP, like hunting. Lastly, tension adjustability is key if running the notched legs. The notched legs allow more robust and much easier and faster adjustment than the standard legs, but must be married with the swiveling base. Most new shooters "I think" opt for the other, due to the lower cost and wrongly think that the value is non-notched legs being more adjustable.

Very good point about incline needs requiring different height bipods. Thats why I recommend the Primary Adaptive Solutions Pass connector option, allows something like a 6 - 9 Harris to use 3” to 18” inch leg extensions, making it one of the most versatile solutions around. This image (just what I had on my phone) is on one of my Atlas, but I have several Harris too. It show the 18” CF leg extensions From the above mentioned.

The only reason for pointing this out, is that I hope it helps make sense of what I said.

I also think people are sometimes confused with the running around from barricade to barricade as seen in 3 gun (Pistol, Shot gun & semi auto), vrs positional long range shooting (or PRS style) that uses obstacles and barricades to increase the difficulty. In the later you're not physically running through the entire course of fire. Ya, one has to know their system as they might have 90 seconds to shoot a bunch of long range targets, but it isn't "run and gun".

Last edited by diver160651; 10-06-2017 at 10:41 AM..
Old 10-06-2017, 4:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Ah, I think I know where we are not seeing eye to eye. I might not have clarified what I meant by the adjustable tension lever.

I agree 100% that the bipod should be notched and swivel. But to prevent the swivel from being floppy, there's a nut we have to turn to adjust the tension, so we can tighten it up. It's not really a lock, once the tension is good we adjust by hand pressure and it's tight enough to stay at the angle we set.

You of course know all this already.

I was talking about those aftermarket throw levers for $25 that let you adjust the tension by hand rather than by tool. The implication is that on the shooting bench or in the field I can set the tension without tools.

I was just trying to suggest that it's a wasted $25. I never adjust my bipod. The tension is adjusted where I like, and now the lever never moves. It would be just as convenient to have adjusted it with a wrench when I first got hte bipod, then leave it alone forever. Another $25 saved.

Thanks for the heads up on the arc mags. maybe I'll just get one if I want to dip my toe in the water, rather than just get a couple to go with the AI mags.
Old 10-06-2017, 5:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
BTW this type of dust with a tiny bit of precip. turns glue like - killing triggers like Jewells etc.. so I could only imaging how bad they might have run with a tiny bit of drizzle added.
Several years ago it rained on us at Ironman up in Parma and the top 1/8" of dust glued itself into a perfectly functional sheet of grease that acted like it was on glass.
It made climbing the hill to the stage I was just arriving at quire interesting.

Old 10-07-2017, 2:08 AM
Internet Warrior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Hopefully you got the HBRMS model. The swivel and notched legs, if so, consider getting a podlock and Adaptive Solutions Pass.. you can then use Altas’ softer feet , leg extensions or Hawkhill feet. Something often missed is that the notched legs allow one hand adjustment.

https://www.coreshooting.com/collect...lution-systems

http://www.hawkhillcustom.com/store/...or_Harris.html

Casey’s mono pod is one if the best.. but I also am not a fan of them in general. The main argument that you might forget your bag really is a bit of a stretch, I’d rather take off my sock if I didn’t have a bag and use dirt and gravel.

Because of the type of system and accessories you purchased, I and assuming benchrest specific eared bags are not in play. For rear bags, forgetting all about size and shape, you have 2 basic concepts. Light and portable or heavy and more stable. The heavy fill will last forever and styrene fill in the light bags will compress out over time. SAP, TAB, Wiebad etc all make both.

One of my favorites, Str8Laced Ultra light Rear Bag has several features that allows it to act like a loosely filled bag, or a denser bag via tension cords. These were almost impossible to get for a while, but now Tab Gear is manufacturing them.

Theses fills can be had in the 3 basic uses of bags, rear supports, barricades and body support. But as the bags get bigger are primarily styrene filled.

Remember that some bags like pump pillows are not meant for the rear of the gun.. so a bit of homework is good. Many of use have a crazy collection of bags, so compressing out the fill out isn’t usually a reality, as you’ll see something along the road and want to try a new bag

LRI has some really cool goodies for your rifle.

Consider getting the better metal mags. Ya, I know magpul fan boys might argue, but the only thing they do better is the price.

Diver, you sure do know all the gear. I do not know anything about rear bags as I agree with your line of thinking. I have used a sock filled with rice, and I haven't been able to find anything better. It's hard to beat a good sock that has the right amount of rice and tension. I like rice as a filler.
Old 10-07-2017, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP View Post
Diver, you sure do know all the gear. I do not know anything about rear bags as I agree with your line of thinking. I have used a sock filled with rice, and I haven't been able to find anything better. It's hard to beat a good sock that has the right amount of rice and tension. I like rice as a filler.

OMG - your one to talk, says the kettle to the pot..

Your PLRF/Spotter/main Scope are so esoteric most people would have no idea were to even get them, much less the value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 10-07-2017, 2:13 PM
Calguns Addict

You said your main use was shooting from a bench.
That said a front rest with a sand filled front bag and a rear bag filled with heavy sand will improve your accuracy over a bipod mono-pods or any other form of holding the rifle.
A wide flat attached where the bipod is attached will also improve accuracy. They sell ready made units called Accuracy Assets or you can make your own. They prevent the rifle from twisting/torquing in the bags.
Heavy sand can be purchased from Sinclair International or a reptile supply shop.
The best bags are made by Edgewood.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 10-08-2017, 10:29 AM

Anarchy.com good **** for the RPR.
Old 10-08-2017, 5:25 PM
Calguns Addict

For any and every RPR accessory, check out anarachy.

http://www.anarchyoutdoors.com?afmc=1w
Old 10-10-2017, 6:27 PM

Magpul PRS stock, Timney Trigger, Seekins handguard, lap the lugs, and if it's not doing 5-shot groups under .75 MOA get a Proof Research barrel, steel or carbon fiber as you prefer.

• Complete set of reloading equipment plus dies for 338 LM
• Desert Tactical Arms SRS rifles - Gen 1 and Gen 2
• Proof Research Carbon Fiber barrels for DTA SRS, various calibers (new)
Old 10-13-2017, 8:47 AM

Seekins rail and LRI bolt shroud , nothing wrong with bolt handle
Old 07-04-2019, 11:20 AM

I know this is an old thread...but did not know where else to post this. I had a fellow CalGun member help me out this week, @Koston555 3D printed me an item I have needed from day 1 for my Ruger Precision in 308. He made me a magazine adapter so that I can single shot my Precision with out the bolt hanging up. Not really sure if there is a need by other precision owners..but figured I would post it here just in case.

Just my $.02
Ray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190704_110634.jpg (104.8 KB, 257 views)
Old 07-05-2019, 6:00 AM
Calguns Addict

I got the exact same functionality by buying AICS magazines. If I wasn’t a pack rat the p-mags would have gone into the garbage.

This option does look alot cheaper tho!
Old 07-05-2019, 8:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRayJr View Post
I know this is an old thread...but did not know where else to post this. I had a fellow CalGun member help me out this week, @Koston555 3D printed me an item I have needed from day 1 for my Ruger Precision in 308. He made me a magazine adapter so that I can single shot my Precision with out the bolt hanging up. Not really sure if there is a need by other precision owners..but figured I would post it here just in case.
AICS sleds have been available for years from a couple different sources.

Old 07-05-2019, 8:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Saw that today for the first time. 50 bucks tho, i bet koston was a much nicer guy to ray than $50

So let me ask then, why not just use an aics mag? For casual shooting, it’s nbd.
Old 07-05-2019, 8:11 AM

Quote:
Saw that today for the first time. 50 bucks tho, i bet koston was a much nicer guy to ray than $50

So let me ask then, why not just use an aics mag? For casual shooting, it’s nbd.
You are right...cost for the adapter was less then half of that.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:24 PM

The factory stock is fine and I know many people who like it, but I personally felt the factory one was flimsy and switched to the Magpul PRS which I like better. Also switched out the factory Ruger grip for a Magpul K2 Plus grip.
Old 07-05-2019, 7:08 PM

Vortex Razor Gen2 w/EBR2C reticle, SPUR 4302 mount, Leupold MK4 80mm spotter w/Miliradian reticle, Tac-ops field tripod for the spotter, Atlas bipod, custom rear bags, Vortex level, stock magazines, stock bolt handle, Eberle Stock carrier, Scope Coat, Mil-Dot Master slide rule, log/data book, Swarovski binos, elbow pads, hydration system, coms (Motorola) for two other teams, field net, personal weaponry, gear, etc.
All that stuff is a bit much for benching it, but it works well for school.
About the only thing I would upgrade at this point is the rifle's optic, to that of Tangent Theta, but my failing eyes may not be able to use the difference.
Old 07-10-2019, 7:57 AM
Calguns Addict

After spending that much on optics, I would have sprung for better magazines.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
After spending that much on optics, I would have sprung for better magazines.
If that is my post in regards to the magazine suggestion, I have never had a single issue with any of them. And there have been LOTS of gun-handling manipulations on my part to come to that conclusion. YMMV.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:40 PM

$30 Ruger Injection Molded AICS style mags have been trouble free for me.

One project I have yet to complete is a rail mounted range finder arm to have a complete system. Found I would have to piece together as I did not find what I wanted searching online. Figure would be cool to have this system available for my RPR 6.5 Creed, MDT Chassis .308 and my M&P 10 equipped with a Sig BDX 4X14.