Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 02-04-2020, 5:10 PM

Default ccw case agent call employer?

When applying or renewing, does the case agent ever call your employer?

Can you request them not to call?
Old 02-04-2020, 5:12 PM
Veteran Member

Your IA would help.

I would expect them to call if you listed them.
Old 02-04-2020, 5:13 PM
Veteran Member

My employer is listed in my CCW even though the reason I got a CCW has nothing to do with my work
Old 02-04-2020, 5:54 PM

My HR guy said the called my work and sent a letter, he wouldn’t say what they asked but I did get approved. My IA is San Bernardino.
Old 02-04-2020, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnlrat37 View Post
My HR guy said the called my work and sent a letter, he wouldn’t say what they asked but I did get approved. My IA is San Bernardino.
No way. It wasn’t a work-related permit?

If not, way to out you on what you do in your off time.
Old 02-05-2020, 1:00 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnlrat37 View Post
No way. It wasn’t a work-related permit?

If not, way to out you on what you do in your off time.
As part of the background check process, the San Bernardino County Sheriff Department mails an Employment Verification Letter to your work's Human Resources department.

Since it's a confidential letter, only the HR department should have access to it and fill in the response.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 02-05-2020 at 1:07 AM..
Old 02-05-2020, 11:31 AM

What if your good cause is camping, do they still contact your employer?
Old 02-05-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igs View Post
Looks like they would. SBSD issues on SD as GC, IIRC.
Old 02-05-2020, 7:04 PM

Quote:
SB County will.

My companies' HR person is a Dem/Lib anti-gun person. I asked the owner if said owner would complete the paperwork and he said Yes, thus taking HR out of the equation.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:41 PM

What if you don't list your employer?
Old 02-06-2020, 9:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
As part of the background check process, the San Bernardino County Sheriff Department mails an Employment Verification Letter to your work's Human Resources department.

Since it's a confidential letter, only the HR department should have access to it and fill in the response.

What a load of crap!

The SBSD is giving companies a clear opportunity to have their employees denied. What's more, they've sent a signal that could potentially be used by companies in the context of California's newly-revised Red Flag law - if they didn't even know you were a gun owner before, they sure as hell do after they receive this (potentially scary!) letter.
Old 02-06-2020, 2:47 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
What if you don't list your employer?
CA laws requires your occupation to included in your permit application [PC 26175(c)] and be printed on the permit [PC 26175(i)].

If you don't list an employer, how can you list what you do?

Lying on your application is illegal (misdemeanor - felony, depending on what you are lying about). [PC 26180]

Most likely, if you do not list an employer/occupation, then the application will get rejected as incomplete.

Penal Code 26175
(c) The standard application form for licenses described in subdivision (a) shall require information from the applicant, including, but not limited to, the name, occupation, residence, and business address of the applicant, the applicant’s age, height, weight, color of eyes and hair, and reason for desiring a license to carry the weapon.
(i) Any license issued upon the application shall set forth the licensee’s name, occupation, residence and business address, the licensee’s age, height, weight, color of eyes and hair, and the reason for desiring a license to carry the weapon, and shall, in addition, contain a description of the weapon or weapons authorized to be carried, giving the name of the manufacturer, the serial number, and the caliber. The license issued to the licensee may be laminated.

Penal Code 26180
(a) Any person who files an application required by Section 26175 knowing that any statement contained therein is false is guilty of a misdemeanor.
(b) Any person who knowingly makes a false statement on the application regarding any of the following is guilty of a felony:
(1) The denial or revocation of a license, or the denial of an amendment to a license, issued pursuant to this article.
(2) A criminal conviction.
(3) A finding of not guilty by reason of insanity.
(4) The use of a controlled substance.
(5) A dishonorable discharge from military service.
(6) A commitment to a mental institution.
(7) A renunciation of United States citizenship.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 02-06-2020, 3:47 PM

What if you are unemployed?
Old 02-06-2020, 3:52 PM

Quote:
What if you are unemployed?
Probably ask for last employed based on the questions
Old 02-08-2020, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadstorm View Post
What a load of crap!

The SBSD is giving companies a clear opportunity to have their employees denied. What's more, they've sent a signal that could potentially be used by companies in the context of California's newly-revised Red Flag law - if they didn't even know you were a gun owner before, they sure as hell do after they receive this (potentially scary!) letter.
The SBCSD is one of the best and most reasonable in the entire state of California especially when it comes to issuing CC licenses. We are very fortunate to have the Sherriff we have.

Some folks will ***** and moan about a sunny day, Jeeze. Most 2A supporters and CCW license holders in San Bernardino County are smart enough how good we have it and support our Sheriff.
Old 02-08-2020, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
The SBCSD is one of the best and most reasonable in the entire state of California especially when it comes to issuing CC licenses. We are very fortunate to have the Sherriff we have.

Some folks will ***** and moan about a sunny day, Jeeze. Most 2A supporters and CCW license holders in San Bernardino County are smart enough how good we have it and support our Sheriff.
I think Riverside sheriff top San Bernardino in term of CCW issuance. Still, SB is pretty reasonable when compare to OC or SD
Old 02-08-2020, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psun786 View Post
I think Riverside sheriff top San Bernardino in term of CCW issuance. Still, SB is pretty reasonable when compare to OC or SD
Although Riverside has a faster turnaround, no mag capacity restriction and just as reasonable as SB. New sheriff has really done wonders from what I hear.
Old 02-08-2020, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post

I live in Kern County. My sheriff accepts self protection on an application, and doesn't contact employers.

That letter from SBCSD to employers is complete BS. How well do you think that's gonna go for a Starrbucks barista who wants to carry legally?

How many people do you think might not have applied because they thought the cops might contact their boss? I bet it's more than one...and that's BS.

You and I disagree.

Last edited by leadstorm; 02-08-2020 at 9:43 PM..
Old 02-08-2020, 10:13 PM

I don't think OC does, though they do require documentation from HR. Also I had a permit during a time I was unemployed but working as an unpaid intern in grad school, my permit at that time said unemployed.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCResident01 View Post
I don't think OC does, though they do require documentation from HR. Also I had a permit during a time I was unemployed but working as an unpaid intern in grad school, my permit at that time said unemployed.
OC doesn’t do this. They just list your occupation I think.
Old 02-13-2020, 2:19 PM

Quote:
CA laws requires your occupation to included in your permit application [PC 26175(c)] and be printed on the permit [PC 26175(i)].

If you don't list an employer, how can you list what you do?

Lying on your application is illegal (misdemeanor - felony, depending on what you are lying about). [PC 26180]

Most likely, if you do not list an employer/occupation, then the application will get rejected as incomplete.

Penal Code 26175
(c) The standard application form for licenses described in subdivision (a) shall require information from the applicant, including, but not limited to, the name, occupation, residence, and business address of the applicant, the applicant’s age, height, weight, color of eyes and hair, and reason for desiring a license to carry the weapon.
(i) Any license issued upon the application shall set forth the licensee’s name, occupation, residence and business address, the licensee’s age, height, weight, color of eyes and hair, and the reason for desiring a license to carry the weapon, and shall, in addition, contain a description of the weapon or weapons authorized to be carried, giving the name of the manufacturer, the serial number, and the caliber. The license issued to the licensee may be laminated.

Penal Code 26180
(a) Any person who files an application required by Section 26175 knowing that any statement contained therein is false is guilty of a misdemeanor.
(b) Any person who knowingly makes a false statement on the application regarding any of the following is guilty of a felony:
(1) The denial or revocation of a license, or the denial of an amendment to a license, issued pursuant to this article.
(2) A criminal conviction.
(3) A finding of not guilty by reason of insanity.
(4) The use of a controlled substance.
(5) A dishonorable discharge from military service.
(6) A commitment to a mental institution.
(7) A renunciation of United States citizenship.

My profession is Preschool Teacher. That could be at one of 12 different employers in my county I did include my employer information. But my profession doesn't point to a specific employer.
Old 02-13-2020, 9:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

For mine it was sent to the location I worked at, not corporate where HR is.

The person who opens the mail gave it to my direct supervisor. He called corporate and asked if he should fill it out or send it to them. They told him fill it out and send it back.

I had told him about a month before I applied that he was going to be getting a letter from the sheriff's department and what it was going to be about. He just said okay I'll make sure it gets taken care of.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

”Benitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacity”
Old 02-14-2020, 12:35 AM

Alameda county didn't contact my work but they asked for 2 letters: a letter of recommendation from my supervisor, and a letter from HR stating the company's weapon policy.