Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

View Poll Results: What are your feelings about Front Sight?
Great Training for Beginners Only. 80 8.30%
Great Training Beginner and Advanced. 650 67.43%
The Quality of Training is Going Down Hill. 21 2.18%
I paid too much for my Membership! 45 4.67%
They will go out of business this year! 23 2.39%
Don't want anything to do with them! 145 15.04%
Voters: 964. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2020, 5:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBay Shooter View Post
I think you need to be Heritage Member for this link to work since it is the only option on the membership type drop down.

www.frontsight.com/halfoff
I just called. Nope, only for a Heritage member

Well, that $795 just went for a new gun fund. Hopefully a new gun with a > 4 lb trigger LOL

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 02-06-2020, 8:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
I just called. Nope, only for a Heritage member

Well, that $795 just went for a new gun fund. Hopefully a new gun with a > 4 lb trigger LOL

if you really want to purchase the president for 795, just send Dr. P. an email and ask. Remember a while back when he did that for lots of stuff. Ask want you want and offer a price. All he can say is no. That is how I got my President 3. It was called the "you name it reward". I want to say it was back in 2017
Old 02-07-2020, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
Not that i'm close, but supplemental income during retirement is what i'm pondering.

Not sure if he's still there but there is an instructor who works a dive boat in Mexico and does the FS instructor gig as a retiree.
I thought the same thing since I will be retiring in the Las Vegas area to be closer to my daughter. As I thought more, a daily drive for classes from Las Vegas did not make sense economically. Staying in pahrump for the class duration didnít either, as your room would eat up your pay. Iím not going to move to Pahrump to retire, so until they up the pay, Iíll just keep going as a student.
Old 02-07-2020, 9:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSMike View Post
I thought the same thing since I will be retiring in the Las Vegas area to be closer to my daughter. As I thought more, a daily drive for classes from Las Vegas did not make sense economically. Staying in pahrump for the class duration didnít either, as your room would eat up your pay. Iím not going to move to Pahrump to retire, so until they up the pay, Iíll just keep going as a student.
Yeah, i wouldn't want to commute even if it was from south west vegas. Still an hour. I might do an rv and camp out front for a few days, then back to the city for a few
Old 02-07-2020, 4:33 PM

I think the real retirement with FS might be to purchase a house in Pahrump for about 180k and put it out on VRBO. The monthly cost would be about 900 and you could get that back in two weeks of rentals. When ever I look at VRBO for my FS stays, all the good properties are booked almost every day that FS is open. Then you could stay there when you are doing the instructor work.

I kick myself for not buying a place out there years ago. It would be paid off by now. But then again, I thought the runway was going to short because of the FS hotel and condo's. Guess I was wrong.....
Old 02-07-2020, 6:21 PM

I think F.S. is missing out on selling a bunch of Presidents to us other lifetime members. If I could get a president for $795 right now, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'm a Director.

Old 02-07-2020, 7:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoWrench View Post
I think F.S. is missing out on selling a bunch of Presidents to us other lifetime members. If I could get a president for $795 right now, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'm a Director.
^^^ Couldn't agree more!

Old 02-07-2020, 8:51 PM

What does President and Director get you? I'm Diamond so I get all current and future classes, which is good enough for me.
Old 02-07-2020, 9:33 PM

In a nutshell, Director gets you any class at any location.
President gets you private training.

Old 02-08-2020, 8:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
In a nutshell, Director gets you any class at any location.
President gets you private training.
Doesnít his Diamond get him any class at the NV location now? I know there used to be Diamond Alaska. I had one. Has FS opened up any other locations?

Old 02-08-2020, 1:11 PM

Yes it does.

Old 02-09-2020, 12:00 AM

I'm having a hell of a time figuring out what these new Front sight deals actually mean and if they're worth getting. I have the commander right now, I dug through my SPAM folder and found the email for the constitutional defender upgrade. But aside from getting a bunch more useless coupons and Patriot memberships, and some rental/background credits, I can't figure out why I should give them $997. What good are all of these credits? They don't really explain very well how they're going to translate to ownership/usage of the resort when it's finished. If it ever finishes.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp002 View Post
I'm having a hell of a time figuring out what these new Front sight deals actually mean and if they're worth getting. I have the commander right now, I dug through my SPAM folder and found the email for the constitutional defender upgrade. But aside from getting a bunch more useless coupons and Patriot memberships, and some rental/background credits, I can't figure out why I should give them $997. What good are all of these credits? They don't really explain very well how they're going to translate to ownership/usage of the resort when it's finished. If it ever finishes.
If you have a membership that gives you access to all the classes, you should be fine. Everything above that is just window dressing, except for President which gives you access to private training. The gun rental certs are good if you don't have a specific type of gun, like a shotgun or rifle. You can also use it for the machine gun class if you take that. Guns and ammo discounts are only worth it depending on what you want. Ammo discount is worthless in CA since they will not ship and the prices are not better than you can get almost anywhere else. You can purchase ammo in NV at much lower prices. However, if you want to just show up and grab ammo there then it may work for you. The guns discount is not any better than you can get from other online brokers, since you have to ship to an FFL and pay those fees.

FS Points are a whole different story. No one really knows what is going to happen. At some point you can use them to help purchase (TBD). That could be a night in the hotel, a week in a condo, your condo activation fees, fun shoot ammo, or yearly BGC. You can spend them in the pro shop, but not really anything to buy anymore. Most of the folks here have 10's of millions of points.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:34 AM

Has anyone taken the new rifle marksmanship class yet? Is it do-able with a 308 bolt gun and 3-9x40 scope? How far out are the targets?
Old 02-09-2020, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

Pages 265-269 have a bunch of good info on the marksmanship class. On page 275 I have a post with all the sizing done for the target. Good luck it is a good course.

Yes you can do a 308 and 3x9 but there are better setups but saw folks out there with a 7 mag doing well.
Old 02-09-2020, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBay Shooter View Post
If you have a membership that gives you access to all the classes, you should be fine. Everything above that is just window dressing, except for President which gives you access to private training. The gun rental certs are good if you don't have a specific type of gun, like a shotgun or rifle. You can also use it for the machine gun class if you take that. Guns and ammo discounts are only worth it depending on what you want. Ammo discount is worthless in CA since they will not ship and the prices are not better than you can get almost anywhere else. You can purchase ammo in NV at much lower prices. However, if you want to just show up and grab ammo there then it may work for you. The guns discount is not any better than you can get from other online brokers, since you have to ship to an FFL and pay those fees.

FS Points are a whole different story. No one really knows what is going to happen. At some point you can use them to help purchase (TBD). That could be a night in the hotel, a week in a condo, your condo activation fees, fun shoot ammo, or yearly BGC. You can spend them in the pro shop, but not really anything to buy anymore. Most of the folks here have 10's of millions of points.

Hope that helps.

Yeah that kind of confirmed my thoughts on the FS points. We don't know what exactly is going to happen once they finish building the place. Maybe its a good idea to grab a hundred thousand of them now in the off chance that it gives me a place to stay in 3-5 years or whenever they finish. But with probably close to a billion points out there, it's hard to say whether the proportional amount I have would amount to much of anything.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
^^^ Couldn't agree more!

Just got the recorded Dr P phone call for President memberships for heritage members.

Knight of Front Sight
Old 02-10-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon1272 View Post
Pages 265-269 have a bunch of good info on the marksmanship class. On page 275 I have a post with all the sizing done for the target. Good luck it is a good course.

Yes you can do a 308 and 3x9 but there are better setups but saw folks out there with a 7 mag doing well.
Thank you. No one mentioned how much time you have to take each shot
Old 02-11-2020, 8:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Doesnít his Diamond get him any class at the NV location now? I know there used to be Diamond Alaska. I had one. Has FS opened up any other locations?

Just the two facilities

PM me for information on low-priced Front Sight Memberships!
Old 02-11-2020, 9:18 AM
Veteran Member

Scotty
Time is not an issue. Close shots are like 20 seconds. The further out you get youíll have like a 1:30 to get into position and a minute to take the shot.
Course is all hold over and no adjustment to scopes is allowed.
Old 02-11-2020, 9:17 PM

FWIW I'm looking for a President (private training, just me). PM me with offers.

Old 02-11-2020, 9:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
FWIW I'm looking for a President (private training, just me). PM me with offers.
Are you a FS member?

PM me for information on low-priced Front Sight Memberships!
Old 02-12-2020, 9:47 AM

Quote:
the price is in post 11516, but I don't have any extra to transfer.
Old 02-12-2020, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAShooter View Post
Are you a FS member?
Yes, I'm a director.

Old 02-12-2020, 9:29 PM

well, signed up for another 4 day HG the weekend of March 13th. It's actually been quite a few years since I've taken this class but only doing it as my brother wants to go back to FS (been 5 years) and one of my best friends is flying in from TX to take his first class.
Figured it would be fun to take it with them.

anyone else have any upcoming trips?
Old 02-12-2020, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi54 View Post
well, signed up for another 4 day HG the weekend of March 13th.
Buddy and I are going down Mar 9-12, 4 day pistol for him and rifle for me. I'm hoping to come home with more than the participation certificate I got last time.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2020, 5:06 AM

Quote:

I will finally be taking my grandson for the first time. We'll be at 4DHG the first weekend in April.
Old 02-13-2020, 8:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I think alaska is a pipe dream

not enough people in alaska to support a range like FS

Travel costs kill it for most people to go over and over...

I'm still waiting on the driving course to be built... it was promised in 1999

ďYou found that offensive? I found that funny. Thatís why Iím happier than you.Ē

ďScience is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.Ē
ó Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 02-13-2020, 9:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
well, signed up for another 4 day HG the weekend of March 13th. It's actually been quite a few years since I've taken this class but only doing it as my brother wants to go back to FS (been 5 years) and one of my best friends is flying in from TX to take his first class.
Figured it would be fun to take it with them.

Iím planning to take the empty hand combat and bladed weapons in the summer. I feel silly carrying a knife in California without having taken any formal classes.

The biggest issue with not taking classes frequently at FS is that for the higher classes, you have to have taken the basic class within the past 24 months. I recently had to take a 2-day practical rifle class just so that I can get into practical rifle skill builder.

Old 02-13-2020, 9:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
I think alaska is a pipe dream

not enough people in alaska to support a range like FS

Travel costs kill it for most people to go over and over...

I'm still waiting on the driving course to be built... it was promised in 1999
From Brad Akmanís book, it sounds like a very different experience in FS AK. However, who knows if that still applies today. You are right, the cost of travel kills the idea quickly. I would rather take an Alaskan cruise instead LOL.

I remember when they had pictures of a Mustang on a driving course on their banner. That has gone away without a trace.

Old 02-13-2020, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Iím planning to take the empty hand combat and bladed weapons in the summer. I feel silly carrying a knife in California without having taken any formal classes.
Definitely agree with you on that. would like to take that class someday.

Quote:
The biggest issue with not taking classes frequently at FS is that for the higher classes, you have to have taken the basic class within the past 24 months. I recently had to take a 2-day practical rifle class just so that I can get into practical rifle skill builder.
would this mean that even after getting a DG, I would need to attend at least an AN in the last 24-months before I can get into THG/ATHG?

So, going to THG/ATHG every year will not work?

_
Old 02-13-2020, 8:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
Definitely agree with you on that. would like to take that class someday.

would this mean that even after getting a DG, I would need to attend at least an AN in the last 24-months before I can get into THG/ATHG?

So, going to THG/ATHG every year will not work?

_
No, taking THG/ATHG every two years I think will grandfather you in that course. Same thing with SB classes.

Sorry, what's AN?

I was referring to HG Skill Builder classes I was told I was not able to take as I had not taken the basic Defensive Handgun for more than 2 years although I was taking THG/ATHG twice yearly. (It turns out that I did have a 4DDHG class within the past 2 years that both the registration guy and I missed)

Old 02-13-2020, 10:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Has anyone qualified for the E Mail class yet? E Mails since 7/18 = 1,845 Do I get it when I get to 2,000? Ohhh....what are the TBD Diamond memberships going for now? $1.50? I need to know since I have a bunch of them to sell.

NRA Patron Member
CRPA 5 yr Member

"...which from their verbosity, their endless tautologies, their involutions of case within case, and parenthesis within parenthesis, and their multiplied efforts at certainty by saids and aforesaids, by ors and by ands, to make them more plain, do really render them more perplexed and incomprehensible, not only to common readers, but to lawyers themselves. " - Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-14-2020, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Sorry, what's AN?
Sorry. That was Autocorrect adding another "AN" to the sentence.

_
Old 02-14-2020, 10:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I don’t get emails from front sight. Well I get 2-3 per year

Same with NRA

Opt out on email, calls and texts and they will remove you from the ad campaigns

I joined in 1999

For those who complain about emails- fix it- call them and opt out

ďYou found that offensive? I found that funny. Thatís why Iím happier than you.Ē

ďScience is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.Ē
ó Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 02-14-2020, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWalt View Post
Has anyone qualified for the E Mail class yet? E Mails since 7/18 = 1,845 Do I get it when I get to 2,000? Ohhh....what are the TBD Diamond memberships going for now? $1.50? I need to know since I have a bunch of them to sell.
I heard once you get 2K emails, you get a pin. Ship date TBD.

Old 02-14-2020, 7:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Sorry, what's AN?

AN = Advanced Ninja. You must pass Distinguished Ninja first. If you fail, try the Ninja Skeeru Beerudah. You have to shoot 2 stars in under 1.5 seconds at the turning targets.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 02-14-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
AN = Advanced Ninja. You must pass Distinguished Ninja first. If you fail, try the Ninja Skeeru Beerudah. You have to shoot 2 stars in under 1.5 seconds at the turning targets.

_
Old 02-15-2020, 5:30 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post

_

Hahaha! It took me a while.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 02-15-2020, 7:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Hahaha! It took me a while.
Yeah, me too! Onry a dai hardu Frontu Saita wodu undustandu, deska.