Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 06-04-2021, 5:17 PM

Default How much stuff is too much? Magazine, knife , pepper spray

Gun is obviously for deadly encounters, knife is more multi use and may not even be self defense related, pepper spray could be used in a non-lethal situation. Extra magazine is probably a good idea especially with only 8+1 in this gun. However this stuff plus the other normal carry stuff like a wallet, phone, keys, etc itís a lot.

Your thoughts?
Old 06-04-2021, 5:21 PM

I'd ditch the pepper spray and add a flashlight.
Old 06-04-2021, 5:47 PM

I agree on pepper spray being a nice to have rather than a must have, just because it's kind of bulky. I know others will disagree, but I would consider an extra mag a nice to have as well (excluding law enforcement where it's more of a must have).
Old 06-04-2021, 5:50 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

See https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/d...tactical-hobo/

Quote:
You Don’t Have To Be A Tactical Hobo

What I want to caution against is falling victim to the tactical hive-mind that tries to dictate what the minimum standard should be if you take your personal safety seriously. That standard is continuously changing, but it usually starts with some assertion that you shouldn’t even bother carrying a gun unless it meets some minimum threshold for size, caliber, and ammo capacity.

Then, you’re as good as dead if you don’t carry a spare magazine for that gun. You have to put a full size weapon mounted light on that pistol or all the kids on Instagram will laugh at you. You’re going to need a fixed blade knife and a tourniquet, whether or not you have any idea how or when to actually use them. To carry all that stuff, you’re going to need a two-inch wide bat-belt.

And to bring this all back around to the clothing issue, to conceal all of that stuff, you’re going to need a whole new wardrobe. That’s where we get the tactical hobo look that Cameron mentioned in his email with the oversized polo, cargo pants, and if you really have no shame, the tactical fishing vest. If you’re under 50, the tactical hobo looks more like an untucked flannel shirt, jeans, and a pair of Merrell hiking boots.
I actually do wear cargo pants and oversized polos, and I do carry a gun, light, folding knife, pepper spray, and usual pocket stuff like wallet and keys. Still have to figure out extra mag ...

ETA any experience with the NeoMag? https://tulster.com/neomag-magnetic-...et-mag-holder/ My back pockets are empty, because I don't like sitting on stuff. But I might make an exception.

Last edited by Librarian; 06-04-2021 at 9:46 PM..
Old 06-04-2021, 6:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by user01394 View Post
Gun is obviously for deadly encounters, knife is more multi use and may not even be self defense related, pepper spray could be used in a non-lethal situation. Extra magazine is probably a good idea especially with only 8+1 in this gun. However this stuff plus the other normal carry stuff like a wallet, phone, keys, etc it’s a lot.

Your thoughts?

Well I manage to carry all of that in cheap Walmart jeans and a good gun belt. It is a lot.

Left pocket has a Surefire Stilleto flashlight on a clip, it's rather thin why I bought it. Small wallet with the usual CC and ID crap, spare mag and a few keys in a velcro covered holder go in the pocket proper. I keep them positioned such that they lay flat enough and sort of keep each other in place.

Right "pocket watch" pocket holds my Fox pepper spray. I keep a rubber band around it to give it grip so it doesn't fall out. Right pocket I keep cash, car fob and a folder knife on clip.

P229 (a bit heavy compared to my SW Shield that's for sure) in a Stealthgear holster at 4:00 on a Kore ratchet style belt, which is great because it takes seconds to adjust when you need more or less.

I'll go on long walks this way, I can run without fear of losing anything.

Sunglasses, mask go in left shirt pocket.

Oh and a damn watch I'm in habit of wearing these days sometimes.

Do I wish there was a better way? I gripe to my wife as I gear up I want a Batman utility belt.

Mag in the pocket is kind of weak sauce though I know. There are magnet clip holders I've been looking at though, at least to retain it in place better.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 06-04-2021, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeneas View Post
I'd ditch the pepper spray and add a flashlight.
I'd ditch the flashlight and add a fleshlight.
Old 06-04-2021, 8:37 PM

I carry all of the items mentioned. These jeans with all the extra pockets definitely help and make it manageable:

https://lapolicegear.com/lapg-jrf200...AaApZ6EALw_wcB

https://lapolicegear.com/lapg-edj-everyday-short.html

For the shorts, I recommend going 1 size up, which means 2 size as they only have even size increasing in 2 size increments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2021, 8:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnysloper View Post
I carry all of the items mentioned. These jeans with all the extra pockets definitely help and make it manageable:

For the shorts, I recommend going 1 size up, which means 2 size as they only have even size increasing in 2 size increments.

Shhh, now they are going to be sold out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 06-04-2021, 8:48 PM
Veteran Member

Gun and spare mag for me.

I carry a knife on occasion but not for SD. Rarely do pepper spray but it’d be nice.

Old 06-04-2021, 9:24 PM

I carry pepper spray because my Sheriff is an unethical coward, sometimes a kneck knife.
Old 06-04-2021, 9:27 PM
Veteran Member

I carry flashlight (Felix PD36R), folding knife (Kershaw) and pepper spray (Sabre) in addition to all of the other stuff-keys, wallet & chapstick.

Knife is IWB. I clip it on the inside of the pants waistband. Make sure the lock is on or you might slash yourself (ask me how I know).

The pepper spray is on a retractable lanyard attached to my belt. This way, it isnít buried in my pocket and is easily accessible. Biggest downside is itís always hanging out there. I will tuck it into the top part of my pants pocket to conceal it if need be. It works.

These days, with the need for all of the masks and wipes etc, itís nice to be wearing cargo pants (5.11ís).

M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 06-05-2021, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
I carry flashlight (Felix PD36R), folding knife (Kershaw) and pepper spray (Sabre) in addition to all of the other stuff-keys, wallet & chapstick.

Knife is IWB. I clip it on the inside of the pants waistband. Make sure the lock is on or you might slash yourself (ask me how I know).

The pepper spray is on a retractable lanyard attached to my belt. This way, it isnít buried in my pocket and is easily accessible. Biggest downside is itís always hanging out there. I will tuck it into the top part of my pants pocket to conceal it if need be. It works.

These days, with the need for all of the masks and wipes etc, itís nice to be wearing cargo pants (5.11ís).

I carry this in the extra back pocket in my shorts. It doubles as a flashlight.

Old 06-05-2021, 6:46 AM

Quote:
I carry this in the extra back pocket in my shorts. It doubles as a flashlight.

Interesting, I wasn't aware there was such a thing as a pepper spray/flashlight combo.
Old 06-05-2021, 10:15 AM

I donít carry an extra mag at the moment but probably should. The neomag would probably work in the back left pocket, knife is in back right and I normally donít notice it.

Those shorts and pants are cool and actually reasonably priced but not sure I need that many pockets.

The flashlight/pepper spray is cool but I personally donít think I need a flashlight at the moment.
Old 06-05-2021, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user01394 View Post
I donít carry an extra mag at the moment but probably should. The neomag would probably work in the back left pocket, knife is in back right and I normally donít notice it.

Those shorts and pants are cool and actually reasonably priced but not sure I need that many pockets.

The flashlight/pepper spray is cool but I personally donít think I need a flashlight at the moment.

Itís definitely a personal preference. There are definitely reasons why personal defense experts recommend carrying certain items but if we follow it to a T, all of us will be black belts in some sort of martial arts .

Just do what you are comfortable with. Carrying a gun with no spare mag is still better than not carrying anything at all.

Old 06-05-2021, 3:49 PM

Default How much stuff is too much? Magazine, knife , pepper spray

Gun (G19, G43X, or G26) IWB on right side, Fenix PD 35 light and spare mag in separate holsters on left side (mag fits in nylon multi tool holster with snap down cover), pepper spray and keys in left front, folding knife right front, wallet in left hip pocket.

Phone rides in left cargo pocket.

It can be a bit bulky, but a baggy t- or polo shirt hides it all. I probably use the flashlight most often.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by DoubleA; 06-05-2021 at 3:54 PM..
Old 06-05-2021, 5:26 PM

I use ReloadWrap to carry a spare mag in the pocket. Adjustable simple velcro holder, and I also clip an Olight I3T eos light to it while in the pocket. Works great for me to keep both.

Only real pain carrying gear is having to fit other stuff in the pocket, two phones while at work, and anything else I have to hold with a knife clipped in the right pocket. Would like a low profile pepper spray option for non-lethal or animals, but haven't found a good combo yet.
Old 06-05-2021, 6:33 PM

Quote:

Thank you for sharing this.
Old 06-05-2021, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmedina3 View Post
I use ReloadWrap to carry a spare mag in the pocket. Adjustable simple velcro holder, and I also clip an Olight I3T eos light to it while in the pocket. Works great for me to keep both.

Only real pain carrying gear is having to fit other stuff in the pocket, two phones while at work, and anything else I have to hold with a knife clipped in the right pocket. Would like a low profile pepper spray option for non-lethal or animals, but haven't found a good combo yet.

Pom is cheap, pretty small and recommend by active self protection
Old 06-06-2021, 10:09 AM

Shield on my 4 o'clock, wallet in front right pocket along with whatever knife I carry, phone in back right pocket, extra mag in left front pocket. That's it. I have worn flashlights and I don't like it, too bulky. I keep one in every car and truck I run, plus the Shield has a flashlight on it. I believe if I am within range to use pepper spray and feel the threat to use it, I am just pulling my gun.
Old 06-06-2021, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel4488 View Post
Shield on my 4 o'clock, wallet in front right pocket along with whatever knife I carry, phone in back right pocket, extra mag in left front pocket. That's it. I have worn flashlights and I don't like it, too bulky. I keep one in every car and truck I run, plus the Shield has a flashlight on it. I believe if I am within range to use pepper spray and feel the threat to use it, I am just pulling my gun.
You might want to read further about that -

https://ccwsafe.com/blog/in-self-def...haggard-part-1

https://ccwsafe.com/blog/in-self-def...-haggard-part2
Old 06-06-2021, 8:29 PM

Hereís my daily carry. Been carrying it for a few years now and donít even give it a second thought. The Beltman belt that I use and a good holster like the Multiholster in the pic make it easy. Can hide it all with just a t-shirt. On very hot days, I swap out the G30 for a Shield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-06-2021, 11:25 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

I wear horizontal mag carrier and pepper spray carrier. It is extremely low profile. I clip a small EDC light (also horizontal ) to the mag carrier (above). When carried horizontal along the belt, this stuff disappears. You never, ever feel like you are carrying too much. It is extremely comfortable, nothing is ever jabbing you.

As for everything else: wallet, phone, sunglasses, reading glasses, mask, hand sanitizer, you name it - I have been experimenting with a cross body, I like the Herschel Form large and have the Star Wars Boba Fett multicam
https://www.dillards.com/p/herschel-...-bag/512466762

Last edited by SkyHawk; 06-06-2021 at 11:34 PM..
Old 06-07-2021, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Thank you Librarian, you always bring an outside perspective with real world knowledge. I won't carry pepper spray still, but definitely will rethink my process.
Old 06-07-2021, 7:41 AM
Veteran Member

You guys are crazy. Tactical hobo for sure. A giant flaw is ...where is your tourniquet?!

I'm a fairly simple man. A knife/g19 with original magazine my money clip and key fob for car and a phone. That's it.

No spare mag, no flashlight. I do have those in the car along with trauma kit.

I'm more of a lean and fast I guess. Hate having crap in my pockets/ belt. I'm not batman or inspector gadget.

Used to carry spare mag with LC9. I don't carry that pos any more. G19 with OEM 15+1 rounder will most likely get that GBI or death issue to a minimal
Old 06-08-2021, 11:00 AM

Don't be the tacti-jonny guy.

You are a civilian, not the police, not the security guy at Walmart so that nifty can of pepper spray becomes a liability. First, very few sprayers are worth anything past two arms reach and if you spray and it's ineffective then guess what?

You are now fighting for your life and trying to protect access to your firearm. You're a civilian, there is no escalation of the use of force, its either de-escalate a developing situation (and that doesn't mean you become mediator between two idiots getting into it) getting out of it otherwise you are already in it.

A flashlight? You're going to carry that around all day? It's 100 degrees outside the sun if high and you have a flashlight. Okaaaay.

Your spare mag, yeah because things happen but that other stuff? Lose it. You aren't secret squirrel and anything that can possibly distract you will distract you or get in the way and then you are toast.

Ever see someone sprayed with OC/Pepper and they don't react to it? Now you have that little kiddie can in one hand and you have to drop it in order to get to your firearm. Hopefully, Mr Bad guy or someone else doesn't pick it up and spray you. Hopefully the wind didn't change and blow than stuff in your face and now you can't see. If you're in a city the wind swirls around and changes all the time. You are more likely to spray yourself or someone else you didn't intend to spray and again, you are toast.

The flashlight. Ok, if it's dark outside and you're on a walk or something, great but otherwise? Why are you going into unlit places on purpose? Now one hand is holding the flashlight. You're reaction time just went to double or more than it is without holding the light. Are you willing to risk your life on that?

Avoidance is 99% of getting out of bad situations. For that 1% (and I just picked them for emphasis) anything other than your firearm is going to get in the way.

While your decision making goes through the "should I use my spray or gun" the other guy isn't concerned with that. So all you've done is stuck your hand into some cargo pocket fumbling for the spray.

Now before you go "he's FOS" there are a lot of people who despite being sprayed can function very well. So now you've wasted precious time where that other guy is within the effective range of the spray. Ever see just how fast someone can close that distance as you stand there trying to figure out if the spray worked? Sorry to tell you but you aren't that fast no matter how much you train. I'm betting you aren't training with your spray.

]A SILENT MAJORITY will become a silent minority when those who have something to lose fear those who have something to gain. Defense is a losing proposition when time is on the side of the opponent.

You don't get beaten by the opposition you get beaten by those who run away.
Old 06-08-2021, 1:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharedShots View Post
Don't be the tacti-jonny guy.

You are a civilian, not the police, not the security guy at Walmart so that nifty can of pepper spray becomes a liability. First, very few sprayers are worth anything past two arms reach and if you spray and it's ineffective then guess what?

You are now fighting for your life and trying to protect access to your firearm. You're a civilian, there is no escalation of the use of force, its either de-escalate a developing situation (and that doesn't mean you become mediator between two idiots getting into it) getting out of it otherwise you are already in it.

A flashlight? You're going to carry that around all day? It's 100 degrees outside the sun if high and you have a flashlight. Okaaaay.

Your spare mag, yeah because things happen but that other stuff? Lose it. You aren't secret squirrel and anything that can possibly distract you will distract you or get in the way and then you are toast.

Ever see someone sprayed with OC/Pepper and they don't react to it? Now you have that little kiddie can in one hand and you have to drop it in order to get to your firearm. Hopefully, Mr Bad guy or someone else doesn't pick it up and spray you. Hopefully the wind didn't change and blow than stuff in your face and now you can't see. If you're in a city the wind swirls around and changes all the time. You are more likely to spray yourself or someone else you didn't intend to spray and again, you are toast.

The flashlight. Ok, if it's dark outside and you're on a walk or something, great but otherwise? Why are you going into unlit places on purpose? Now one hand is holding the flashlight. You're reaction time just went to double or more than it is without holding the light. Are you willing to risk your life on that?

Avoidance is 99% of getting out of bad situations. For that 1% (and I just picked them for emphasis) anything other than your firearm is going to get in the way.

While your decision making goes through the "should I use my spray or gun" the other guy isn't concerned with that. So all you've done is stuck your hand into some cargo pocket fumbling for the spray.

Now before you go "he's FOS" there are a lot of people who despite being sprayed can function very well. So now you've wasted precious time where that other guy is within the effective range of the spray. Ever see just how fast someone can close that distance as you stand there trying to figure out if the spray worked? Sorry to tell you but you aren't that fast no matter how much you train. I'm betting you aren't training with your spray.
Interesting.

Carry what you like, of course.

For me, I edc a light and have for a decade or so; my carry gun has a light mounted.

Similarly, before a CHL was available to me, I carried, and still carry, FoxLabs 5.3 - my cargo pockets have internal pockets that keep the canister upright in a consistent position.

Some people are not much affected by pepper spray? That's true. Some people are not quickly affected by bullets either - 'get off the X' is the trained response, right?
Old 06-08-2021, 8:10 PM
Veteran Member

I dont wear clothes with 15 pockets on a regular basis
Old 06-08-2021, 8:45 PM

Glock 27, Swiss army knife, cellphone, $500 in cash. GTG. I'm not a cop anymore. Gray man at all times.
Old 06-09-2021, 7:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerB View Post
I dont wear clothes with 15 pockets on a regular basis
But you do wear clothes with 20 pockets?

Why a flashlight? I'm honestly curious unless your daily routine regularly takes you into unlit corridors or dark alleys at night. When I walk my dog at night (he's a bulldog and daylight walks have him panting after just a few hundred yards - so he prefers nighttime walks) I typically wear a Black Diamond headband lamp that illuminates my path very well and also keeps my hands free. There are plenty of coyotes in my area and I've seen their eyeshineany times as they try to stalk me and my doggie.
Old 06-09-2021, 7:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23 Blast View Post
But you do wear clothes with 20 pockets?

Why a flashlight? I'm honestly curious unless your daily routine regularly takes you into unlit corridors or dark alleys at night. When I walk my dog at night (he's a bulldog and daylight walks have him panting after just a few hundred yards - so he prefers nighttime walks) I typically wear a Black Diamond headband lamp that illuminates my path very well and also keeps my hands free. There are plenty of coyotes in my area and I've seen their eyeshineany times as they try to stalk me and my doggie.

For me helps me at work when i need more light to see details, older eyes now. Certain times of the year I walk at night, and it's very bright with strobe function. You get that in the eyes you are blind a while even in daytime. A bright light can be a deterrent and time buyer.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 06-09-2021, 8:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post

ETA any experience with the NeoMag? https://tulster.com/neomag-magnetic-...et-mag-holder/ My back pockets are empty, because I don't like sitting on stuff. But I might make an exception.
Iíve been using NeoMags for a few years now. They really work well and with the longer clip option, conceals even large magazines well within your pocket.

Old 06-09-2021, 8:50 AM

I carry a G19 with spare mag in an appendix rig and a POM OC spray clipped in my back pocket. The spray is quite compact and easy to use, about the size of a beefed up lipstick. Originally saw it being used on Active Self Protection and gave it a try, totally worth it and makes carrying it painless. Other than that just the wallet, phone, and keys.
Old 06-09-2021, 9:13 AM
Just an Old Marine
CGN Contributor

1 Pistol , 1 reload , small surefire E1L ... pepper spray in all the cars (easy to drop in pocket) pocket knife (not as a weapon)

since the JUDGE said Swiss knife is like a AR15...I carry one of those now
Old 06-09-2021, 9:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green grunt View Post
1 Pistol , 1 reload , small surefire E1L ... pepper spray in all the cars (easy to drop in pocket) pocket knife (not as a weapon)

since the JUDGE said Swiss knife is like a AR15...I carry one of those now
Your Swiss army knife is limited to only opening 10 bottles of wine with its corkscrew in CA, instead of 30 like in free states. Shame, considering the potential boon to California's wine industry...
Old 06-09-2021, 9:33 AM
Just an Old Marine
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Your Swiss army knife is limited to only opening 10 bottles of wine with its corkscrew in CA, instead of 30 like in free states. Shame, considering the potential boon to California's wine industry...
I know.... that's why my SK has a Philip head screwdriver instead of a corkscrew... can't be to careful
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SK flask.jpg (89.0 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by green grunt; 06-09-2021 at 9:47 AM..
Old 06-09-2021, 9:39 AM

My friend says he carries mace but that seems so awkward to carry around.

Old 06-09-2021, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:

Why a flashlight?
In my case, 2 reasons.

First, I used to be a BART commuter - imagine getting stuck without power in the transbay tunnel.

Then, I did 15 seasons as 'security' at the Concord/[sponsor of the week] Pavilion; needed the light for the job.

Also turned out useful in nursing school - parking lots at night, and once lit up a patient better so a doctor could debride a wound.

Now, we do a lot of evening walks, but we're in a small city so need the light only occasionally outdoors; also use it to look into dark cabinets - just easier to have it in my pocket when I need it than go get one of the lights elsewhere in the house.

There is also the issue of not pointing a gun at something you do not [yet?] plan to shoot, so a light not mounted on a weapon, for 'investigative purposes', seems to me to be a good idea.

Last edited by Librarian; 06-09-2021 at 12:20 PM..
Old 06-10-2021, 9:30 AM

On a typical work day Iíll have iPhone and a multi-tool (Gerber) in left cargo pocket, loaded Neomag and key fob in left front pocket. Wallet lives in right cargo, clipped folder in right front. Slidebelt, Milt Sparks & 1911 lives IWB at 3:30, under my insulin pump. The pump is an excellent disguise! Shorts donít need to be 2Ē larger, just get in better shape! Of course, this only when clothing is required! I try to stay naked as long, and often as possible
Old 06-11-2021, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzbike View Post
On a typical work day Iíll have iPhone and a multi-tool (Gerber) in left cargo pocket, loaded Neomag and key fob in left front pocket. Wallet lives in right cargo, clipped folder in right front. Slidebelt, Milt Sparks & 1911 lives IWB at 3:30, under my insulin pump. The pump is an excellent disguise! Shorts donít need to be 2Ē larger, just get in better shape! Of course, this only when clothing is required! I try to stay naked as long, and often as possible
If you carried a G19 you could rock out with your Glock out!!!