Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 09-14-2020, 10:35 PM

Default Gun Buying on Calguns

I was legitimately looking to purchase 1 of 2 handguns here on calguns that I know are in the $1000+ range. On multiple occasions I have messaged sellers only to receive no reply back and yet they keep bumping a gun. I understand that they may be leary of scammers and people with no feedback. I have already bought and sold a few things here and at least I have some feedback.

First guy had a bad picture of his gun and I asked first if it was still available and if he could send me some better pictures of his gun via text. No response and keeps bumping his gun.

The second I asked if it was still available and also asked if he ever comes near my area. No response and keeps bumping his gun.

Either one could have replied with a simple message, but yet nothing.

Both according to their profiles are long time calguners, but both have lost a sale because they cant be bothered to send a reply. Had either one even attemped a reply a deal could have possibly been done. One of guns I wanted, I ended up buying off site and ended up paying exactly what was being asked here on the site.

Not sure if this is the right place to vent this, but really had either one engaged in messaging with me they would have sold what they are selling for exactly what they wanted.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Keep trying with other listings. Your feedback is fine.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradecraft View Post
Keep trying with other listings. Your feedback is fine.
I know, but its just frustrating that something you want is right there in front of you and you cant get a repsonse from someone who supossedly wants to sell and geographically they are they closest ones listed for sale within reasonable driving distance.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:25 PM

if the deal smells off, let the deal go. Forcing something is a great way to get scammed or worse. It’ll be alright. i wouldn’t want to deal with weird sellers anyway.

Everyone remain calm, we're only dealing with first world problems, women, alcohol, and firearms.
Old 09-15-2020, 4:47 AM

Don't take it personally. For the most part, you're dealing with a bunch of grumpy old guys (myself included).
Old 09-15-2020, 5:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Fan399 View Post

Both according to their profiles are long time calguners, but both have lost a sale because they cant be bothered to send a reply.
Nothing more to say. If a seller won’t respond to questions, I won’t deal with them.

Old 09-15-2020, 5:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequencer60 View Post
Don't take it personally. For the most part, you're dealing with a bunch of grumpy old guys (myself included).

LOL #metoo

Can’t somebody do something?!?!?!?!
Old 09-15-2020, 6:21 AM
I need a LIFE!!

You have good feedback and 60 posts so I would at least give you a quick
message reply. It takes 30 seconds to be polite and Calgunners deserve
that from every member.

My problem are people who join our forum just to ask me “it is still available?”
without saying anything else like “I’ll take it for $xx dollars”. So I reply “Yes”
and never hear back from them again. Sometimes these messages are sent at
2:14 AM. LOL. While I’am sleeping.

But I get got one new member who asked “is it still available ? I replyed the next morning after coffee the words, “welcome to Cal Guns and said Yes, it’s still available. He replied back and he ended up driving from Beverly Hills to Costa Mesa for our deal. A very nice guy. So it pays to be courteous.

Recently another new member agreed to meet at the FFL for a Glock 19 I was selling cheap. I drove there. Waited and waited so I texted him. He text back that he forgot and won’t be coming because his mom just died of COVID. I drove home.

With new members I am wary of No-Shows. They simply don’t show up at the meeting place or FFL. They quit answering texts. They have no consideration for your efforts and time spent driving and waiting.

Be well
Bob

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 09-15-2020, 7:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
You have good feedback and 60 posts so I would at least give you a quick
message reply. It takes 30 seconds to be polite and Calgunners deserve
that from every member.

My problem are people who join our forum just to ask me “it is still available?”
without saying anything else like “I’ll take it for $xx dollars”. So I reply “Yes”
and never hear back from them again. Sometimes these messages are sent at
2:14 AM. LOL. While I’am sleeping.

But I get got one new member who asked “is it still available ? I replyed the next morning after coffee the words, “welcome to Cal Guns and said Yes, it’s still available. He replied back and he ended up driving from Beverly Hills to Costa Mesa for our deal. A very nice guy. So it pays to be courteous.

Recently another new member agreed to meet at the FFL for a Glock 19 I was selling cheap. I drove there. Waited and waited so I texted him. He text back that he forgot and won’t be coming because his mom just died of COVID. I drove home.

With new members I am wary of No-Shows. They simply don’t show up at the meeting place or FFL. They quit answering texts. They have no consideration for your efforts and time spent driving and waiting.

Be well
Bob

I completely agree with you but, don't give up. Courtesy is a dying art and appreciated by those of us who still use it.

My guns are like my internal organs, I'd have to be dead to be without them.
I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders....Ted Nugent
There are 2 kinds of people, normal and skinny....my Father in Law

Unrestrained children in back seats cause accidents.
Unrestrained accidents in back seats cause children.
Old 09-15-2020, 7:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightYouRightNow View Post
if the deal smells off, let the deal go. Forcing something is a great way to get scammed or worse. It’ll be alright. i wouldn’t want to deal with weird sellers anyway.

^^^THIS.

There's been a lotta scammers trolling through of late, which happens with every panic buying spree...
Old 09-15-2020, 7:47 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
LOL #metoo
#ME3
Old 09-15-2020, 8:00 AM

I feel ya bro...just move on to the next...
Old 09-15-2020, 8:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightYouRightNow View Post
I definitely wouldn't force it. If they do not respond, I am not going to chase them down because I assume the sale would go the same way.
Old 09-15-2020, 9:16 AM

Just move on to the next one. There's so many reasons why a seller don't reply. You ask for a better picture, maybe a clearer picture will show flaws which seller force to explain or maybe he just doesn't have a better camera. As for the "comes to my area", you're out of his range, maybe he gets this same question all the time and tired of responding back every time.

In any case, don't take it personally, just move on to the next one.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfe187 View Post
Just move on to the next one. There's so many reasons why a seller don't reply. You ask for a better picture, maybe a clearer picture will show flaws which seller force to explain or maybe he just doesn't have a better camera. As for the "comes to my area", you're out of his range, maybe he gets this same question all the time and tired of responding back every time.

In any case, don't take it personally, just move on to the next one.
Not taking it personally at all. I know there will always be another gun for sale, not to many one of kinds on here. In all honesty I posted the original comment in hopes that some people might realize that they could be losing real sales by not responding.

As for the asking for better pictures. I fully understand that "maybe a clearer picture will show flaws which seller force to explain or maybe he just doesn't have a better camera". I know that posting pictures on here tend to shrink them down unless you are hosting them on an external sight. But some photos look like they are on the end of my scope at 500 yards.

As for the "are you ever in my area" question. I recently purchased a gun on here from a seller that was nowhere near me, but just happened to want to come to my area to visit some family. Sale was done that day, so it really doesnt hurt to ask. On the other end of that had he just responded no, I probably wouldn't have gone out of my way for that paticular gun.

Also since I signed up I tried selling a few things and definitely got my share of scammers responding to my post. Easy enough to weed out if you have been selling things online for a while and have common sense.
Like the guy who wanted to buy my gun and was surprised that he had to meet me at an FLL and show his ID because he supposedly has his CCW. Yeah Right.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:28 AM

Keep the faith 22fan399. I’m a new guy with far fewer posts than you. I posted on an ad last week and the seller took a chance on because, “every new CalGunner deserves an opportunity. There are stand up folks on the forum!
Old 09-15-2020, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Fan399 View Post
I was legitimately looking to purchase 1 of 2 handguns here on calguns that I know are in the $1000+ range. On multiple occasions I have messaged sellers only to receive no reply back and yet they keep bumping a gun. I understand that they may be leary of scammers and people with no feedback. I have already bought and sold a few things here and at least I have some feedback.

First guy had a bad picture of his gun and I asked first if it was still available and if he could send me some better pictures of his gun via text. No response and keeps bumping his gun.

The second I asked if it was still available and also asked if he ever comes near my area. No response and keeps bumping his gun.

Both according to their profiles are long time calguners, but both have lost a sale because they cant be bothered to send a reply. Had either one even attemped a reply a deal could have possibly been done. One of guns I wanted, I ended up buying off site and ended up paying exactly what was being asked here on the site.

Not sure if this is the right place to vent this, but really had either one engaged in messaging with me they would have sold what they are selling for exactly what they wanted.
It definitely is frustrating if there is something you have been looking for, it's offered for sale and the seller is not responding. In that case you have already gotten the best advise above.

When a seller is not responding to his ad, that is a negative reflection on him, right off the bat - be grateful you got a sample right in the beginning - gives you a chance to move on.

There are also other reasons sometimes when a member can't answer back due to being busy, or many inquiries (he may have intended to respond, but somehow got distracted), etc.

For the most part calguns marketplace is a good, liquid and vibrant market, especially if you are dealing with people that have a good iTrader rating.

Good luck.
Old 09-15-2020, 12:07 PM

Some folks use the "must have X posts or more logic", but that is a false metric. Any idiot can post a few times ... and many do.

Do I want to sell to folks with 1000 posts? Of course, but that would radically limit the buying pool and ultimately sales would take longer and be at a lower price.
Old 09-15-2020, 5:05 PM
His Glorious Reappearing
CGN Contributor

some good, some bad sellers/buyers. don't waste your time on those kind of people. they maybe doing you a favor of avoiding future headaches.
Heb 9:27 "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgement."

Ro 1:20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse.
Old 09-15-2020, 5:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
Nothing more to say. If a seller won’t respond to questions, I won’t deal with them.

It’s kinda like that.....some guys just can’t be bothered to write a detailed ad, take good pics, or answer PMs promptly. Try twice and, if no response, move on. Also, if you ask simpleton questions, it might get you nowhere.....like “Hi, is it available?“ , when you could’ve written “Hi, if the gun is still available, I’ll take it. I am free on Monday or Weds after 2pm, and Saturday all day to PPT.”

A good way to get a response is show your sincere intent by providing as much info as you can about your location and days/times available to PPT. NOTHING MORE ANNOYING than asking/providing a single silly question or answer each time and have to PM/text a million times to set something up . Give detailed availability all at once.

Also, when you’re on the hunt, be alert and available to answer PMs. Do not leave guys hanging all day or night, waiting for you to answer.

https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017

“Criminals, tyrants and terrorists don’t do background checks.” — Judge Roger Benitez, 4/23/2020

Last edited by Erion929; 09-15-2020 at 5:59 PM..
Old 09-15-2020, 6:19 PM
Veteran Member

The marketplace has turned in to a s**t show
Old 09-15-2020, 6:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It's the craigslist of guns dude. The more you pester them the more desperate you look. Take it or leave it gets the best price.
Old 09-15-2020, 6:42 PM

Hang in there. As a seller I respond to everyone as a basic courtesy. As a buyer, I too have experienced a lack of response from sellers. I put them in the category of a store that posts hours ‘Open’ but never bothers to unlock the door or staff the counter or answer the phone...move on to a real store. If the first encounter is that bad, just imagine what the rest of the deal is going to be like.

One thing I have noticed lately is potential buyers who ask ‘Will you take $xx.xx for the item?” I respond ‘Yes’ then never hear from them again. It isn’t really an offer such as “If you will accept $xx.xx, I’ll take it”. It’s more a situation where they are pinging potential price, then ghosting. In any case, I’m not sure what to think of them, other than ‘Tire Kicker’.
Old 09-15-2020, 7:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by naimad View Post
The marketplace has turned in to a s**t show

How so?

Do expound, good Sir.

Can’t somebody do something?!?!?!?!
Old 09-15-2020, 7:08 PM

What are you buying? Ive sold a lot of guns at really fair/good deal prices because I like to give people a good deal. So I just ignore requests for many pictures or nonsense questions and do a deal with someone that understands they are getting a good deal and appreciates it.
Old 09-15-2020, 7:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Weird stuff happens when dealing with random people. However, courtesy and manners are what we learned at home as kids and there is no reason to change just because the other person has none.

If you don’t hear back, just move on. Not worth it. If they don’t respect your time to answer a simple message, they won’t respect your time when it comes to the deal.
Old 09-15-2020, 7:26 PM

New member here also.
I have not posted at all but I did contact a seller and was ready to buy a handgun.
To my surprise, he responded and we exchanged phone numbers.
After a few back and forth messages he went dark, after I asked for $50 off his asking price.
In his post, the price was not listed as “firm “....I was ready to buy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2020, 7:32 PM

If staying local is your best bet, and agree less is more! do your homework, see what the guns are selling for and don't buy on roster guns, just buy off the internet. I feel also like most sellers they are very honest people, so they give buyers a bit more time to make their decision, kind of a 2 day commitment, and they don't want to waste other people time.
Old 09-15-2020, 7:44 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsclimbs View Post
After a few back and forth messages he went dark, after I asked for $50 off his asking price.

Sounds like you got the answer and there was nothing further to discuss. Next time make the price the first topic if it is an issue, not the topic after some amount of back and forth and exchange of phone numbers, exchange of pics etc. Saves everyone a lot of time. Once you get that far I figure you have decided long ago that the price is right, maybe now I've already waved off a few other buyers, and I'm not going to be real happy about having to reset to consider a different offer from you.

If you are looking for a different price it should be the very first thing I hear, something like "I know you're asking $Y but I'd be a buyer at $X"

Sellers get a lot of PMs from tire kickers, hagglers, traders, people who want them to travel, "let me sleep on it" guys, guys who have to "ask the wife", "can I shoot it first", "will you hold it for a month" etc. The guy who makes it easiest and surest for the seller usually wins, every time. And right now it is a seller's market.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 09-15-2020 at 7:56 PM..
Old 09-15-2020, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
I’ve been stiffed several times reaching out to sellers. Forget it and move on. It seems my money is too good for them.
Old 09-15-2020, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesyhybrid View Post
What are you buying? Ive sold a lot of guns at really fair/good deal prices because I like to give people a good deal. So I just ignore requests for many pictures or nonsense questions and do a deal with someone that understands they are getting a good deal and appreciates it.
There are definitely some deals to be had here. I have already dealt with and talked with a number of good guys on here. Hopefully you end up selling something I am looking for in the future. Also when I asked for photos it was because the one and only photo was insanely poor quality.
Old 09-15-2020, 8:03 PM

Quote:
New member here also.
I have not posted at all but I did contact a seller and was ready to buy a handgun.
To my surprise, he responded and we exchanged phone numbers.

This is a heads up to buyers. I sell stuff on CL so deal with all types of people. 90+% turn out to be really nice people.

Never go through a bunch of back and forth e-mails before asking for a discount. State your discount request in your 1st e-mail. Last month I had a guy who wanted to keep negotiating even when $1 apart; played his game down to the dollar then never got back to him. Usually I go dark on people who are only looking for a deal not the item.

SELLERS AD:

The 1st line of your ad should be: "If you can read this; then it is still for sale"
The 2nd line should ask them for a call back # (eliminates endless e-mails) OR put the request in your e-mail response.

If the buyer ignore this then they probably are not serious.

I have only sold 1 thing on CG and it went perfectly: but never got an itrade from him.?

Good luck
Old 09-15-2020, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
This is a heads up to buyers. I sell stuff on CL so deal with all types of people. 90+% turn out to be really nice people.

Never go through a bunch of back and forth e-mails before asking for a discount. State your discount request in your 1st e-mail. Last month I had a guy who wanted to keep negotiating even when $1 apart; played his game down to the dollar then never got back to him. Usually I go dark on people who are only looking for a deal not the item.

SELLERS AD:

The 1st line of your ad should be: "If you can read this; then it is still for sale"
The 2nd line should ask them for a call back # (eliminates endless e-mails) OR put the request in your e-mail response.

If the buyer ignore this then they probably are not serious.

I have only sold 1 thing on CG and it went perfectly: but never got an itrade from him.?

Good luck

All he had to do, was to answer yes or no, I would have bought the guns with or without the discount.
His loss...prices will come down and stock will get replenished.
Maybe, next time, add Firm next to the price.
Old 09-15-2020, 8:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
All he had to do, was to answer yes or no, I would have bought the guns with or without the discount.

Well, that’s just the chance you took.....bluffing for a $50 discount. Sometimes you get it, sometimes you don’t. He didn’t *know* you’d still buy it....he chose not to continue.

As was stated, asking for a discount several steps into negotiations is not a positive thing....usually viewed by the seller as wasting his time.

https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017

“Criminals, tyrants and terrorists don’t do background checks.” — Judge Roger Benitez, 4/23/2020

Last edited by Erion929; 09-15-2020 at 8:45 PM..
Old 09-15-2020, 8:54 PM

Doesn’t take much time to just respond. I’ve had low ball offers or is it still available. Or take a trade, I always respond even if it’s a no thank you. Always nice to know that the PM made it through
We're trying to exercise a constitutional right and stay out of jail doing it. Cheers to those who help us, jeers to those who stand in our way - you're literally no better than DeLeon or Pelosi. If you catch a bad wrap for making this harder than it has to be, I have no sympathy if you end up on the boycott list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Never trust a gun store to give you correct legal information. That’s what’s up with that.
Old 09-15-2020, 9:03 PM
Ball Pimp 4 Border Collie
CGN Contributor

Be careful what u ask for OP. My itrader is close to 3 hundred. Half the deals I’ve done didn’t file feedback. Imagine what that does to your bank account!!?!. There are plenty of great guys to deal with who are punctual on Calguns. I’ve only had two bad experiences in 14 years and close to 600 transactions.
Old 09-15-2020, 9:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I blame the CA roster; imagine if it didn’t exist...

there would be better deals to be found

1A - 2A = -1A

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunndeal View Post
Stop digging.
Old 09-15-2020, 9:56 PM

OP most CG sellers are solid and you can decipher a lot by how they communicate (timing, transparency, etc). Some sellers however, are fickle and just change their mind without notice, some pit you against other buyers. Try not to take it personally, it unfortunately happens. Example once I replied first to a sale post stated I will take it, but seller changed terms after I tried to secure payment and meeting location, and then ghosted. No worries, sometimes it works out better; actually found same item cheaper in better condition elsewhere and the seller still did not sell item a month later. Best practices: Do your best to communicate clearly in your first pm and assume the seller is busy. Provide meeting options, locations, days, times and your cell information upfront. Make things clear and easy for the seller, and state you already have your FSC, required documents, and cash ready. Good luck!
Old 09-15-2020, 10:37 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
You think stock is going to get replenished on Mk23, P7, P320 or P365, or a hundred other desirable off roster guns?

Eventually you are going to tire of the pedestrian or nanny-state stuff on the roster and want something next level - that is when you need to come correct and convincing.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 09-15-2020 at 10:39 PM..
Old 09-15-2020, 10:50 PM

Yes, sellers should be courteous. Sometimes that is difficult.

I had a couple different pistols listed last year - very rare/special. Off roster, but that’s not what made them special (actually, one was C&R, not due to age). Anyway, the DM’s I got ran about 1:10. For every serious inquiry, I got 10 that were not. Seven of the ten were telling me the pistol was way overpriced, that they were selling elsewhere for $X (a lot) less than my price. The others were either trade offers when I said no trades, or Complete annoying BS responses.

One pistol sold here, and the other sold through another site, and to out of State buyer (too bad the pistol left CA - it is unlikely to return).

Hang in there - good thin gs will work out for you.