Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 11-20-2018, 7:25 AM

Default Desert Eagle 50AE siezed up

I need help troubleshooting this. My DE50 siezed up, slide completley stuck, slightly out of battery. After about 16 rounds, I was going to shoot my last mag(I randomly loaded 3-4 rounds per mag). I fired 2 rounds, then on the 3rd trigger pull, noticed a dead trigger. I check the gun to find this(see pics below) so I'm not sure if there is a round in the pipe or not.

Suggestions on how to proceed?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DE50_1.jpg (98.2 KB, 688 views)
File Type: jpg DE50_2.jpg (96.1 KB, 682 views)
File Type: jpg DE50_3.jpg (90.7 KB, 684 views)
Old 11-20-2018, 7:39 AM
Calguns Addict

First priority is to verify if there is a round in the chamber. You should have counted the number fired and the number in the mag and done the math. Absent that, stick a wooden dowel down the barrel and see if it hits the bolt face or is way short which means there is a round in there.

I'm almost sure that you have a live round in there and that is a problem. The rotating bolt probably got gummed up and you'll have to work to force the thing open.

For Sale: Off Roster CZ, Browning, PTR 91 Moving Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalkerM View Post
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.
Old 11-20-2018, 8:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Man handle it.
Give it some taps with a mallet.
Old 11-20-2018, 8:39 AM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damiiaaannn View Post
Man handle it.
Give it some taps with a mallet.
I had a similar situation, I used a dead blow to smack it loose. Make sure it's in a safe direction, put on eyes and ears just in case, and swung for the fences.

Jerry
Old 11-20-2018, 8:45 AM

Here’s what I did.

Unseize the gun:
-grasp the slide with your weak hand
-palm strike the rear of your grip with a quick Kung fu strike.

As for diagnosing the problem:
-remove your bolt assembly
-check each round by locking the round to the extractor
-twist the locking lugs into the chamber
-if the round and bolt do not lock, the round may be out of spec. Verify the OAL.

Another thing I noticed was you have an older Israeli model. Sometimes the Israeli made barrels leak gas at the seam. I noticed the US barrels are one piece and don’t suffer from this problem.

Anyway, best of luck! I had the same issues and determined the problem to be a combination of those two problems.
Old 11-20-2018, 8:54 AM
Veteran Member

Not an expert on DE. But, do you ever oil that thing? Looks mighty dry.
Old 11-20-2018, 6:19 PM

While you're in there, order a set of replacement return springs. They're only good for 1000-1200 rounds per set, when new.

https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/fi...il-assy-de.asp
Old 11-20-2018, 6:42 PM
Bring back the Lions.
CGN Contributor

Old 11-20-2018, 9:13 PM

thank you all for the feedback; much appreciate the video, tkm.

looks like i have some work to do, won't be able to get to it until after thanksgiving though...
Old 11-21-2018, 3:25 AM
Veteran Member

Get a Large flat blade Screwdriver, take a Oil bottle Cut a flat Piece out fold it over the Screw.driver . To protect finish on Gun and Pry the Slide back .
Need to oil and Grease that Firearm .
Old 11-21-2018, 3:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Mortar it!
Old 11-24-2018, 8:19 PM

OK, so I figured out it was an out-of-spec round. After clearing the gun using the aforementioned techniques (thanks again) and cycling the action several times without a hiccup, I confirmed the out-of-spec round by trying to chamber it again with the same result as before – Armscor 50AE is the culprit. I cleared the gun again and was able to chamber Magnum Research brand 50AE ammo without issues.

In all the years I owned this DE50, I always used Magnum Research brand with 100% reliability. It was only recently that I tried the Armscor brand solely because it was the only brand in stock at my local LGS at the time. Moving forward, I'll be waiting for my LGS to stock the Magnum Research brand and will be avoiding Armscor brand 50AE.
Old 11-25-2018, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopafly View Post
OK, so I figured out it was an out-of-spec round. After clearing the gun using the aforementioned techniques (thanks again) and cycling the action several times without a hiccup, I confirmed the out-of-spec round by trying to chamber it again with the same result as before – Armscor 50AE is the culprit. I cleared the gun again and was able to chamber Magnum Research brand 50AE ammo without issues.

In all the years I owned this DE50, I always used Magnum Research brand with 100% reliability. It was only recently that I tried the Armscor brand solely because it was the only brand in stock at my local LGS at the time. Moving forward, I'll be waiting for my LGS to stock the Magnum Research brand and will be avoiding Armscor brand 50AE.
Honestly it can happen with any factory loadings. I’ve had it happen with Hornady 300gr XTP, MR 350gr, MR 300gr. Yet to have the malfunction with Armscor stuff. The hornady loads I found 2/100 rounds to be out-of-spec. One was way too long, and another seemed overcrimped.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:33 AM

My Desert Eagle wouldn't load any Magnum Research .44 MAG until after 3 boxes but now it'll eat all .44 MAG love the Deags!
Old 12-06-2018, 9:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo_alpha01 View Post
Another thing I noticed was you have an older Israeli model. Sometimes the Israeli made barrels leak gas at the seam. I noticed the US barrels are one piece and don’t suffer from this problem.
If this ever happens, would the most economical option be to buy a new barrel? New barrels are around $500 half the cost of my original purchase price for the whole gun
Old 12-06-2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopafly View Post
If this ever happens, would the most economical option be to buy a new barrel? New barrels are around $500 half the cost of my original purchase price for the whole gun
I don’t think the leakage is a huge deal breaker. I have the same problem and I just run much hotter ammo. I still cycle through Hornady and armscor just fine. If you had to get another barrel save up for the 10” model.

On the bright side you can actually separate the two halves of the barrel for cleaning, although I’ve never done so myself. I could imagine maybe using some sort of softer material like copper to seal the mating surfaces?