Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 07-27-2020, 8:14 AM

Default Businesses with Metal Detectors

I’m currently in the midst of my CCW applications with San Bernardino but had a question.

What do you all do when entering a business with metal detectors? Is it as simple as showing them you permit?

I understand some businesses are more CCW ‘friendly’. Just curious on what happens in such a scenario.

TIA.
Old 07-27-2020, 8:33 AM
Calguns Addict

I think you'll find that business' that have metal detectors don't want you to be armed inside their business.

I would never show a permit to anyone who doesn't have the authority or need to know, and that sure isn't anyone in a store that has metal detectors at the doors.

Plenty of other places that sell things I need. No need to waste my money on a business that doesn't support my right to protect myself.
Old 07-27-2020, 8:36 AM

If my gun isn’t welcome, my wallet isn’t either.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFly View Post
I’m currently in the midst of my CCW applications with San Bernardino but had a question.

What do you all do when entering a business with metal detectors? Is it as simple as showing them you permit?

I understand some businesses are more CCW ‘friendly’. Just curious on what happens in such a scenario.

TIA.
Turn around and leave!

For times I can't leave, I have a lock box in my main vehicle cabled to the seat mount underneath the driver's door. I don't like leaving a firearm in the vehicle but sometimes there's no choice, I. E. Attending one of the kids' school event or going to the post office (which I park on the street next to the post office not in the actual parking lot).

There is a new policy from my IA, (Orange County) regarding the display of your license. Basically your not supposed to show it either accidentally or purposely. My renewal instructor posited that someone tried to use their CCW license card as ID.

Good luck getting your license.
Old 07-27-2020, 1:21 PM

I usually just point to my steel toe boots and say "Steel toe boots" Then just keep on walking.
Old 07-27-2020, 1:44 PM

I've never encountered a business with metal detectors. I see them at the usual places (court houses, etc.) but not businesses.

Dan
Old 07-27-2020, 1:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergmen View Post
I've never encountered a business with metal detectors. I see them at the usual places (court houses, etc.) but not businesses.

Dan
^^^This. Sports events and concerts but not businesses. If a business can afford a metal detector and staff to run it they are way over charging you anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 07-27-2020, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
I think you'll find that business' that have metal detectors don't want you to be armed inside their business.

I would never show a permit to anyone who doesn't have the authority or need to know, and that sure isn't anyone in a store that has metal detectors at the doors.

Plenty of other places that sell things I need. No need to waste my money on a business that doesn't support my right to protect myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurp1 View Post
If my gun isn’t welcome, my wallet isn’t either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike88 View Post
Turn around and leave!

For times I can't leave, I have a lock box in my main vehicle cabled to the seat mount underneath the driver's door. I don't like leaving a firearm in the vehicle but sometimes there's no choice, I. E. Attending one of the kids' school event or going to the post office (which I park on the street next to the post office not in the actual parking lot).

There is a new policy from my IA, (Orange County) regarding the display of your license. Basically your not supposed to show it either accidentally or purposely. My renewal instructor posited that someone tried to use their CCW license card as ID.

Good luck getting your license.
Quote:
Originally Posted by INCINR8 View Post
I usually just point to my steel toe boots and say "Steel toe boots" Then just keep on walking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergmen View Post

Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
^^^This. Sports events and concerts but not businesses. If a business can afford a metal detector and staff to run it they are way over charging you anyway.
Thank you gentlemen!

By 'business', I meant an establishment in general. Whether it be a store, sporting event, etc.

For instance a sporting event. Would you guys not even bother carrying since you know there will be metal detectors?
Old 07-27-2020, 3:08 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Thank you gentlemen!

By 'business', I meant an establishment in general. Whether it be a store, sporting event, etc.

For instance a sporting event. Would you guys not even bother carrying since you know there will be metal detectors?
I wouldn't. You're not getting in with a gun, so seems to be no point.

(This is aside from the situation that the first line 'opposition' is nearly always unarmed, so determination would likely get you in, for a while. Major sporting events commonly have PD presence ...)
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 07-27-2020, 8:00 PM
Snake..Snake? SNAAAAKKE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Thank you gentlemen!

Businesses like banks or jewelry stores that have the metal detector door screening setup, I usually just point to my keys or belt. More of a deterrence IMO unlike concerts or sporting events where you get the wand and a pat down during screening. In that case I lock it up before exiting the vehicle.

shuttlecock
Old 07-27-2020, 11:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Thank you gentlemen!

Keep in mind that with events that have metal detectors, there are often police around too. If you set off a detector and they figure out you have a gun, you will likely end up talking to a cop. Nobody needs that headache. And the cops could also tell your IA that, "you're irresponsible, trying to sneak a gun into a place you know doesn't allow them," and then your IA pulls your card. It just isn't worth it IMO.

Fighter Pilot
Old 07-27-2020, 11:22 PM

"Gentleman's Clubs".....
Old 07-27-2020, 11:30 PM

Quote:

TIA.
25+ years of carrying in San Bernardino and I have been in one bank with metal detectors.
ARMC has them also.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain
Old 07-28-2020, 5:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Wink

You flash 'em the badge and tell 'em, "You're on a mission from God."
Old 07-28-2020, 7:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post

You flash 'em the badge and tell 'em, "You're on a mission from God."
Just flash your CCW badge. They'll let you right in.
Old 07-28-2020, 8:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
Keep in mind that with events that have metal detectors, there are often police around too. If you set off a detector and they figure out you have a gun, you will likely end up talking to a cop. Nobody needs that headache. And the cops could also tell your IA that, "you're irresponsible, trying to sneak a gun into a place you know doesn't allow them," and then your IA pulls your card. It just isn't worth it IMO.
Great point. I'm just trying to get the limitations of CCW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf & Turf View Post
"Gentleman's Clubs".....
Old 07-28-2020, 11:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike88 View Post
Just flash your CCW badge. They'll let you right in.

But in a pinch, this'll do.

Old 07-28-2020, 1:02 PM

You never show your license to anybody you don't know, unless it's a law enforcement officer on duty. If you set off an alarm on a metal detector, whether it's at a concert, sporting event, or a business like a jewelry store, the very last thing you want to do is tell them you have a gun. If they want to pat you down in order to enter, you simply turn around and take your business somewhere else.

It may sound strange to some folks, but the simple word "gun" makes many people cringe or panic. And a venue or business that goes to that length to make sure nobody brings a weapon inside, is not a place to utter that word gun or firearm or weapon.
Old 07-28-2020, 1:33 PM

^ I agree. Even my immediate family doesn’t know when I’m carrying. If something happens the last thing I want is someone blurting out to me: “shoot that guy!” or “you’ve got a gun, stop him.” If an actual LEO asks for my license I’ll show it to them. Nobody else.
Old 07-28-2020, 7:37 PM

The World Ag Expo held in Tulare every February has a sign posted outside each entrance that states you're good to go if you present your rice paper. Works every time. Short of that, I'd spend my money elsewhere.
Old 07-29-2020, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post

This.
I simply turn around and move on...

"I've got a firm policy on gun control; If there's a gun around, I want to be the one controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
Old 08-01-2020, 5:06 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
I wouldn't. You're not getting in with a gun, so seems to be no point.
There is a local concert venue with metal detectors, someone I know has been successful in bypassing them 3 out of 4 times.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:50 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
There is a local concert venue with metal detectors, someone I know has been successful in bypassing them 3 out of 4 times.
Walk-throughs, or wands?

Gate folks with wands are frequently the newbies on the staff, and can be distracted/intimidated. I did that job for 15 years, though not so much gates the last 10.

I haven't heard of folks avoiding the walk-throughs, but possible, I guess.
Old 08-01-2020, 2:02 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Walk-throughs, or wands?

Gate folks with wands are frequently the newbies on the staff, and can be distracted/intimidated. I did that job for 15 years, though not so much gates the last 10.

I haven't heard of folks avoiding the walk-throughs, but possible, I guess.
Wands.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 08-01-2020, 5:21 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

There is no business who is going to be impressed or modify their policies because you flash a CCW. That is never going to happen. The permit is for showing to cops and gun stores when you use it for SHD exemption and proof of residence.

When you see a metal detector and you have a gun on you, turn around and walk away.