Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 02-04-2020, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
Thanks - found it for free on Kindle/Amazon
One of the VERY best books I've ever read.
Old 02-20-2020, 8:39 PM

does anyone know if there will be a new Going Home book?
Old 03-13-2020, 9:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The Great Influenza: The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History

Purchased this book back in 2012 - read it last week. Big eye-opener, tons of parallels.

"Orwell was an Optimist" - Cali-Glock
"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds

Freedom Week: March 29-April 6, 2019 // Freedom Day: April 23-24, 2020 - Thank you, Judge Benitez!
NRA - Endowment Member // CRPA - Life Member (Disclaimer: Everything I write is fiction. I am just here to try out ideas for my to-be-written great-American-novel.)

Last edited by Cali-Glock; 02-23-2021 at 11:13 AM..
Old 03-19-2020, 10:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Hustler back issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2020, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_clingon View Post
does anyone know if there will be a new Going Home book?
Looks like Book 10 Home Coming, was the last one.

https://www.amazon.com/Survivalist-5-Book/dp/B00VZJ46I2

https://www.goodreads.com/series/107392-the-survivalist
Old 03-23-2020, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
well, that sucks...there could have been one or at least two more books for this series.
Old 06-30-2020, 1:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Outland by Dennis E. Taylor

Quote:
When the Yellowstone supervolcano erupts, it's up to six college students and their experimental physics project to prevent the end of civilization.When an experiment to study quantum uncertainty goes spectacularly wrong, physics student Bill Rustad and his friends find that they have accidentally created an inter-dimensional portal. They connect to Outland—an alternate Earth with identical geology, but where humans never evolved.The group races to establish control of the portal before the government, the military, or evildoers can take it away.Then everything changes when the Yellowstone supervolcano erupts in an explosion large enough to destroy civilization and kill half the planet. The team has just hours to get as many people as possible across to Outland before a lethal cloud of ash overwhelms them.Nothing has prepared the refugees for what they find—a world of few resources and unprecedented dangers. Somehow, they must learn to survive, because Outland may be not just a safe haven—it could be their new home.
A pretty good novel, with a pretty good prepper perspective, even if this is a far-fetched sci-fi storyline.

"Orwell was an Optimist" - Cali-Glock
"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds

Freedom Week: March 29-April 6, 2019 // Freedom Day: April 23-24, 2020 - Thank you, Judge Benitez!
NRA - Endowment Member // CRPA - Life Member (Disclaimer: Everything I write is fiction. I am just here to try out ideas for my to-be-written great-American-novel.)
Old 07-12-2020, 6:44 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
While not a SHTF novel it relates directly to American freedom and is frequently used to identify a literate free person.
Never approved by government schools and always mocked by Statists everywhere .

Who is John Galt ?
Old 07-12-2020, 8:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnre View Post
Turner Diaries.
Yep.
Old 07-30-2020, 3:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAVOC5150 View Post
I've read Tomorrow War and The People's Republic. They were both entertaining reads. If you read The People's Republic, you'll see some similarities to what's going on in today's society. If you liked Jack Carr's first book, Terminal List give The Gray Man by Mark Greaney a look. I'm currently reading Black Autumn by Jeff Kirkham and Jason Ross.
I just got into the Kurt Schlichter books and given what's going on it is quite reflective of our current world. On the third one now, Wildfire. Books are fairly short, bit on guns and I have to wonder if the author is on the forum somewhere.

Mojave Lever Crew Member

"It is time for us to do what we have been doing and that time is every day. Every day it is time for us to agree that there are things and tools that are available to us to slow this thing down." - Kamala "Heels Up" Harris

Slava Ukraini (Слава Україні)
Old 07-30-2020, 3:37 PM

I was gunna suggest something with some practical information about foraging in the woods and making spoiled meat edible and stuff.

But for an apocalypse entertainment book I think that the stand is particularly relevant. Then the dark tower if you wanna read a fatter thing
Old 08-16-2020, 7:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Exclamation

Not a book (Well, yeah, I guess it IS a book!), but I'm watching "Blackhawk Down" right now. I think it's a great film to watch, regarding the necessity of mental discipline, when it's ALL going to HELL at warp speed around you.

The Kobayashi Maru is REAL; we might ALL find ourselves LIVING IT someday. Staying focused on the mission/objective - EVEN to the bitter end - might mean survival for others; family, friends, team members, cause.

It's never been an easy watch for me, but knowing that men did it for REAL, is sobering, and eye-opening.
Old 08-16-2020, 8:38 PM
Bring back the Lions.
CGN Contributor

https://b-ok.cc/book/3845649/43e5bf
Old 09-02-2020, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov View Post
Swan Song, by Robert R. McCammon.
Just finished. Very good book. If you can't stand petty plot holes, skip. But if you like a good story, read it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2020, 9:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunha View Post
I was gunna suggest something with some practical information about foraging in the woods and making spoiled meat edible and stuff.

But for an apocalypse entertainment book I think that the stand is particularly relevant. Then the dark tower if you wanna read a fatter thing
How do you make spoiled meat edible? Besides pepper of course. Though covering the taste does not address the intestinal issues you would still have.
Old 09-11-2020, 1:50 PM

Just re-read Alas Babylon. Although written in 1959, it still resonates as a prepper book as well as an after the apocalypse story. The last line of the book is still chilling. Got the ebook loan online from the LA library.
Old 09-15-2020, 6:19 PM
Veteran Member

DOGSOLDIERS by James Tarr

Sword of the Caliphate by Clay Martin

Call him run-like-hell-when-shtf-guy or dial-911-guy but NEVER call an unarmed man "Security".
Old 09-15-2020, 6:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm sure someone mentioned the A AMERICAN series that starts with GOING HOME.. it's 10 book series.

Also, anything by JL Bourne .. DAY BY DAY AMAGEDDON and TOMORROW WAR are great.. his new TRILOBYTE is what I'm reading now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony270 View Post
It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, you would melt like wax in front of me, you wouldn't be able to move your lips.
Member: Patron member NRA, lifetime member SAF, CRPA
Old 10-22-2020, 11:31 AM

I just finished listening to Devolution by Max Brooks, the author of World War Z. It is written in a similar style as WWZ (if I remember that book correctly) using interviews and journal entries to describe big foot encounter.

I didn't care for most of the characters though by the end of the book I did find myself rooting for the main character. Not your typical SHTF style book but I did enjoy it.
Old 11-19-2020, 8:10 PM

Schlichter's "Crisis", book 5 in the People's Republic series, comes out Monday, I believe. This series is becoming way too non-fiction, as the election unfolds.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:18 PM

Default Make Spoiled Meat Eatable?

I read an expose written by a restaurant cook in China years ago. The owner would buy dead animals from zoos or wherever, like bears or lions or gorillas because Chinese love eating exotic meat. Problem was that many times the meat was rotting and had a bad odor. How to prepare the meat to be served in a Chinese restaurant? Leave the rotting carcass in a bathtub or 55 gallon drum covered with a bleach solution overnight. In the morning, the smell was gone and the meat looked white and bleached. Then they would soak it in dye or soy sauce, whatever they had available until the meat "looked normal" Then cook and serve for high prices
Offhand, in a survival situation, where you are eating roadkill or whatever is available to survive, I've read that gravy mix is one of the most important things to stockpile - with gravy mix, you can make roadkill deer or dog meat taste good . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
How do you make spoiled meat edible? Besides pepper of course. Though covering the taste does not address the intestinal issues you would still have.

Last edited by CPRAFAN; 01-03-2021 at 12:21 PM..
Old 02-23-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam View Post
I know you probably don't want to hear this suggestion -- and I'll tell you I had to be dragged kicking and screaming into reading it myself, and was NOT expecting to like it...

The Hunger Games is actually a really good book. I couldn't put it down once I started.

Also pretty freakin' libertarian, especially if you read the whole series.
The Hunger Games accurately depicts the US if you remove the electoral college and the second amendment.

Old 02-23-2021, 10:38 AM

Deathworld, by Harry Harrison. A classic. And available for free on librivox.

Last edited by murphy.kenji; 02-24-2021 at 7:34 AM..
Old 02-26-2021, 9:08 AM

Deathwatch by Robb White.

Checked it out of the jr high school library in the 70s. Inspired me to buy a wrist rocket that I still own and have never been able to hit a barn door with.
My kids read it a few years back and enjoyed it.
Old 03-23-2021, 6:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaffo View Post
Just re-read Alas Babylon. Although written in 1959, it still resonates as a prepper book as well as an after the apocalypse story. The last line of the book is still chilling. Got the ebook loan online from the LA library.
Of course it is only a novel, but pretty realistic (except for being in a completely radiation-free zone due to a weather pattern). Note how many rounds are fired in anger by the 'good guys' in the book - maybe 50 total and most of those shotgun rounds. The main character fires less than a 15 round magazine from his M-1 carbine in a short fire fight. Kind of a different perspective on how much ammunition needs to be stockpiled for the end.
Old 03-26-2021, 9:55 AM

I am listening to The Stranger in the Woods about the hermit in Maine that survived by robbing summer cabins and summer camps for 27 years virtually undetected. I get that stealing isn't really a survival skill but the other details of his life in the woods are quite interesting. Imagine surviving a Maine winter without building a fire or going over a quarter of a century without a hot shower.
Old 03-26-2021, 9:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmonkey View Post
I am listening to The Stranger in the Woods about the hermit in Maine that survived by robbing summer cabins and summer camps for 27 years virtually undetected. I get that stealing isn't really a survival skill but the other details of his life in the woods are quite interesting. Imagine surviving a Maine winter without building a fire or going over a quarter of a century without a hot shower.
Sounds like something a Liberal would do...
Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, the America-hating Leftists will have brought it upon themselves. I value Freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of Governance they espouse, which offers no Freedom and complete servitude to the State.
Quote:
"We have four boxes with which to defend our Freedoms: the Soap box, the Ballot box, the Jury box, and the Cartridge box" - Ed Howdershelt
Old 02-01-2022, 4:14 PM
Veteran Member

Not really SHTF but I just finished book one of The Eden Chronicles by S.M. Anderson and I'm hooked enough to continue reading the rest on Kindle Unlimited. A mix of Military Sci-Fi, Advanced Technology, and Conservative Freedom-loving people escaping from a impending New World Order where no one is free.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07B2DN6...u_mi_aw_edp_ku
Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, the America-hating Leftists will have brought it upon themselves. I value Freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of Governance they espouse, which offers no Freedom and complete servitude to the State.
Quote:
"We have four boxes with which to defend our Freedoms: the Soap box, the Ballot box, the Jury box, and the Cartridge box" - Ed Howdershelt

Last edited by WartHog; 02-01-2022 at 4:17 PM..
Old 02-03-2022, 9:50 PM

Not SHTF fiction but a decent read regarding preparations.

Suburban Defense: A cop's guide to protecting your home and neighborhood during riots, civil war, or SHTF. (Suburban SHTF Survival) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B099179YWR...2B0CGMFZ2E237A
Old 02-08-2022, 8:24 AM
Veteran Member

Started reading another book by S.M. Anderson, End of Summer - Book One of his Seasons of Man Post-Apocalyptic Series. Author is supposedly former CIA and writes a good story.

https://smile.amazon.com/End-Summer-...s%2C435&sr=8-6
Quote:
Old 02-14-2022, 7:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Another good one is Black Autumn by Jeff Kirkham. It’s about a Black Swan event.
Old 02-18-2022, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Reading Dogsoldiers by James Tarr on Kindle. Pretty good story of a Second Civil War in America that's been ongoing for ten years.

https://smile.amazon.com/mn/dcw/myx....Books/dateDsc/
Quote:
Old 02-18-2022, 11:19 AM

I prefer audiobooks to listen during hikes or commutes.
Old 02-18-2022, 2:59 PM

I just started the Kurt Schlicter series, starting with Peoples Republic. So far so good.
Old 02-18-2022, 3:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Chudungus View Post
I prefer audiobooks to listen during hikes or commutes.
Okay then...
Quote:
Old 03-15-2022, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertjosh View Post
Unintended consequences. Just now finishing up. What a page turner!
Does anyone know who the retired woman Fed is that Allen Kane assassinates in her double-wide at the end of the book? (With Blaine's 92fs).
Is it Ellett Stevens, the judge who was signing the blank warrants?
Old 03-21-2022, 11:40 AM

I always thought it was Janet Reno.
Old 04-08-2022, 8:34 AM
Veteran Member

Reading the Old Man and the End of the World series on Kindle Unlimited. Into book two and am entertained. Author pokes fun at the Dems/Libs/SJW's etc. and is knowledgeable on Firearms.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...u_mi_rw_edp_ku
Quote:
Old 05-24-2022, 6:00 PM

Just finished The Old Man and the End of the World, book 1, recommended here. Excellent, especially as it was free on Kindle. Books 2 and 3 aren't free, but should be worth it.
Old 05-25-2022, 6:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The Survivalist series by Jerry Ahern. Started my love for Detonics .45's.

Application submitted: 1/3/22
Appointment: 2/3/22
Live Scan : 2/3/22
Proceed to Training: 5/31/22
Training Completed: 7/9/22
Document Uploaded: 7/10/22
CCW approved: 7/20/22
CCW picked up: 7/27/22
Utah Non-Res CCW 8/31/22