Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 06-13-2020, 3:04 PM

Default Oregon CCW requirement

I'm headed to Redding for work and wanted to take the opportunity to head into Oregon to apply for CCW.

Looking at the requirements, everything seems easy enough but the handgun competency certification.

What have some of you used to satisfy that part of the requirements.

I will be heading to Klamath county.
Old 06-13-2020, 3:12 PM

My CCW instructor in CA is an NRA instructor and that's all I needed. My training was over a year old at the time. I talked to the OR sheriff's office and they said there was no limit on how long ago the training had occurred.
Old 06-13-2020, 5:18 PM
Calguns Addict

If you have your CA CCW training conducted by a NRA instructor, you’re good.

iTrader
Old 06-13-2020, 9:17 PM

Do your homework, Klamath Co. might need an appointment. Lake Co. does not.
Old 06-14-2020, 1:28 PM

Klamath does need an appointment.
Old 06-15-2020, 12:34 AM

Location: Up in the hills, above the beach in the foggy redwoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by 682beretta View Post
Do your homework, Klamath Co. might need an appointment. Lake Co. does not.
That's correct, Lake County is walk in. But call ahead first to make sure that the Civil Deputy is in the office to process your paperwork.

https://www.lakecountyor.org/government/sheriff.php

Not too long ago I read in the weekly Lake County Examiner newspaper that the Courthouse in Lakeview is open to the public once again.

http://www.lakecountyexam.com/

Plus the Lake County Sheriff's Office will accept a DD-214, NRA Certificate, or even my local CCW requalification paperwork for my California HCSO CCW License.

You will need a certified copy of your Birth Certificate, or a passport for proof of US citizenship. Also utility bills or other documents to prove your actual physical address.

here is a link to their .pdf CHL application

https://www.lakecountyor.org/lakecou...n_Fillable.pdf
Old 09-01-2020, 9:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I thought Nevada recognized an Oregon non-resident CCW. Did something change recently or am I mistaken completely.
Old 09-01-2020, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexo98 View Post
I thought Nevada recognized an Oregon non-resident CCW. Did something change recently or am I mistaken completely.
I do not recall NV ever recognizing OR. NV recognizes UT & AZ which are fairly easy to get. Or you could go to NV and get a non resident NV permit by completing their requirements in NV. But this thread is about OR. Got my OR CHL from the Klamath County Sheriff based on the NV class I took in Sparks, which was NRA certified. Also got my UT based on this class. Klamath also allowed me to change my address to ID by mail. Klamath is also closer to Redding.

Last edited by BAJ475; 09-01-2020 at 11:54 PM..
Old 09-02-2020, 4:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJ475 View Post
I do not recall NV ever recognizing OR. NV recognizes UT & AZ which are fairly easy to get. Or you could go to NV and get a non resident NV permit by completing their requirements in NV. But this thread is about OR. Got my OR CHL from the Klamath County Sheriff based on the NV class I took in Sparks, which was NRA certified. Also got my UT based on this class. Klamath also allowed me to change my address to ID by mail. Klamath is also closer to Redding.
NV does recognize OR. Given that OR allows Nevadans to get a permit there might be the reason.

Straight from the NV government website:
https://rccd.nv.gov/uploadedFiles/gs...0Feb%2020).pdf

iTrader
Old 09-02-2020, 10:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks for the link I found that after I posted, but other sites say they don’t. Their official website should be the updated law tho. I might call just to be sure about it. Thanks!
Old 09-03-2020, 9:03 AM

thanks for the update, just got my CA and going to take a trip to Klamath as it is easier to get to than Lake Co. OR. Have my CA and NV training certs to include in packet
Old 10-01-2020, 3:31 PM

Slightly different scenario than OP's - My wife and I finished out retirement home up in Clatsop County (Astoria, Seaside, Canon Beach etc.) and I wanted to see about getting a resident CHL in OR.

On the Sherriff's website it said you needed proof of OR residency (DL or ID) or that you lived in 1 of 3 counties in WA. Didn't say anything about living anywhere else. So I Decided to call and explain my situation (I spend 1 - 2 weeks a month in OR but have CA Residency and can't change it for legal reasons right now.

The lady was attentive and simply asked did I own or rent. I said we own and she replied no problem just bring in something showing you own the house and we can use that. I've got the County Tax statement and bank mortgage statement, got the form filled out and have my appointment schedule for next Tuesday. As I was filling out the form I noticed that they changed it in the last few months and now as proof of residency they list Real Property Ownership.

They did say bring in two forms of photo ID and that by CCW liciense will work fine.

everyday I find something else I like about OR.
Old 10-01-2020, 5:46 PM

For ID, a credit card or debit card works as well.
Old 10-05-2020, 5:37 PM
Banned in Amsterdam
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanrheem View Post
Their website says you do need an appointment: https://www.klamathcounty.org/315/Co...un-License-CHL

"Shot placement trumps all."

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
Who uses 9mm for SD? Anything less than a 50BMG is stupid to use. Personally, I prefer canister rounds out of a 10lb Parrott rifle for SD.
Old 10-15-2020, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post
NV does recognize OR. Given that OR allows Nevadans to get a permit there might be the reason.

Straight from the NV government website:
https://rccd.nv.gov/uploadedFiles/gs...0Feb%2020).pdf
Nevada stopped recognizing OR permits this year. OR is off of the current reciprocity list.

https://rccd.nv.gov/uploadedFiles/gs...2%20(002)B.pdf
web: www.safeshootersreno.com
email: safeshootersreno@outlook.com
Old 10-15-2020, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the link I found that after I posted, but other sites say they don’t. Their official website should be the updated law tho. I might call just to be sure about it. Thanks!
That was the 2019 list. For the 2020 Nevada reciprocity list, Oregon dropped off.

Old 10-17-2020, 4:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSFA_Reno View Post
That was the 2019 list. For the 2020 Nevada reciprocity list, Oregon dropped off.

Do you know what caused the change?
Old 10-17-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJ475 View Post
Do you know what caused the change?
Beginning in June of this year, Nevada no longer honors CCW permits from Nebraska, North Carolina or Oregon. Nevada law requires our Dept. Of Public Safety to research the CCW permit requirements, etc. of the other 49 states annually to determine if they adhere to the training and other ccw permit provisions similar to those in Nevada.

Those 3 states have dropped off as their newest requirements do not meet NV law standards.

I don't know why specifically, but the two Nevada law requirements that usually cause a state drop off, or be added to, the Nevada list are: 1) a person from the other state must complete any training, class, or program before the issuance of a permit to carry a concealed firearm in that state and 2) that state must have an electronic database available to Nevada LEO's 24/7/365, which identifies each individual who possesses a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm issued by that state.
Old 10-20-2020, 9:07 PM

Went by the Clatsop County Sheriff 2 weeks ago today and dropped off my application. So completely inefficient, it took me all of 10 minutes to have the application and supporting paperwork reviewed, photo taken and fingerprints done (where is the sarcasm emoji) . Paid my fee and they said I should hear from them in approximately 2 weeks. Get home today and in the mail is my license.
Old 10-21-2020, 2:30 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSFA_Reno View Post
Beginning in June of this year, Nevada no longer honors CCW permits from Nebraska, North Carolina or Oregon. Nevada law requires our Dept. Of Public Safety to research the CCW permit requirements, etc. of the other 49 states annually to determine if they adhere to the training and other ccw permit provisions similar to those in Nevada.

Those 3 states have dropped off as their newest requirements do not meet NV law standards.

I don't know why specifically, but the two Nevada law requirements that usually cause a state drop off, or be added to, the Nevada list are: 1) a person from the other state must complete any training, class, or program before the issuance of a permit to carry a concealed firearm in that state and 2) that state must have an electronic database available to Nevada LEO's 24/7/365, which identifies each individual who possesses a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm issued by that state.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-04-2020, 6:42 AM
Veteran Member

Klamath Falls still requires a CCW appointment.

We rescheduled our original KF appointments as everything north of us was/is on fire!

Originally our Oregon permits came from another county.

However, the sheriff changed and they now require residency in the county.

Klamath falls is closer than Lake county to Redding.

We'll be there later this month for our CCW appointments ...

Discreet, Legal Carry in 37 States...
Old 11-05-2020, 6:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
If you have your CA CCW training conducted by a NRA instructor, you’re good.
On my way to Idaho, I called and spoke with a sheriff’s office in eastern Oregon. They mentioned nothing of the sort. I told them I had a CA CCW and his recommendation was to open carry my pistol. To have it in plain sight.
Old 11-05-2020, 6:53 PM

good pm,coming from california whats the nearest sheriff office to go to in oregon for a ccw application? i have a few days off next week i might just drive there... anyone wants to joinim coming from o.c area
Old 11-05-2020, 8:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blue View Post
On my way to Idaho, I called and spoke with a sheriff’s office in eastern Oregon. They mentioned nothing of the sort. I told them I had a CA CCW and his recommendation was to open carry my pistol. To have it in plain sight.
I meant it as the certificate meets their training requirement for CCW.

If you have time, stop by in a walk-in county and apply. So your next trip up, you’ll be concealed.

iTrader
Old 11-05-2020, 9:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr goodguy View Post
good pm,coming from california whats the nearest sheriff office to go to in oregon for a ccw application? i have a few days off next week i might just drive there... anyone wants to joinim coming from o.c area
It depends on how you go. Straight up I 5 you hit Jackson County, Medford is the county seat. I have no idea what their policies are.

I 5 to 97 you go into Klamath County. Klamath Falls is the county seat. Sheriffs office is on the north end of town I believe. If you go 97 into Klamath, be sure you gas up, cell coverage is spotty at best after Weed, and you won't see a gas station for quite a while.
Old 11-06-2020, 7:44 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
From the posts above, Lake County is walk-in, albeit with Covid precautions, Im not so sure. Looks like it’s east of Medford.

Phone ahead to ensure there is someone there to process applications.

iTrader
Old 11-06-2020, 7:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I meant it as the certificate meets their training requirement for CCW.

If you have time, stop by in a walk-in county and apply. So your next trip up, you’ll be concealed.
Ok I see. Thanks for the tip! OR might be where this civil unrest boils over into the next stage of depravity....
Old 11-06-2020, 8:03 AM

Quote:
Klamath Sheriff requires an appointment.

https://www.klamathcounty.org/315/Co...un-License-CHL

Fuel up in Redding or Weed and you are good to go to Klamath Falls. There is a Sinclair station on 97 as you drop into Klamath county.

NRA Life Member: Benefactor
Calguns Supporter
CRPA Supporter
Second Amendment Foundation Life Member Defender Club
Old 11-08-2020, 3:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I contacted Jackson Co last year, they do not like to issue CCW to Californians, unless you work or own property there.
Old 12-07-2020, 8:47 AM

Has anyone had any luck with Oregon recently? I contacted Jackson and they are not taking Non Residents at this time due to resident applications being back logged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2020, 9:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fit1977 View Post
Has anyone had any luck with Oregon recently?

I contacted Jackson and they are not taking Non Residents at this time due to resident applications being back logged.

Klamath Falls is still GTG.

A short drive from Redding.

I received my card in the mail about a week later.

Discreet, Legal Carry in 37 States...
Old 12-07-2020, 9:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockN'Roll View Post
Klamath Falls is still GTG.

A short drive from Redding.

I received my card in the mail about a week later.

Thanks. Did you make an appointment or just stop by.

Old 12-07-2020, 9:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Thanks. Did you make an appointment or just stop by.

Klamath is by appt only.
You can call and schedule one.

iTrader
Old 12-12-2020, 1:29 PM

Thanks. I was able to get in next week.

Old 12-12-2020, 2:17 PM
Calguns Addict

If you hold a permit for Ca.. Then all you need to do is make an appointment Go to kamath falls office IMO....

Real easy if you have a permit already.
Old 12-12-2020, 2:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanrheem View Post
Yeah but the CCW lady is smokin hot (or at least she was 4 years ago)so it's worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 12-12-2020, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano3467 View Post
If you hold a permit for Ca.. Then all you need to do is make an appointment Go to kamath falls office IMO....

Real easy if you have a permit already.

What if I do not have a CA CCW yet?

Old 12-12-2020, 7:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

You’ll have to show proof of training etc.

Check on the county you want to apply in.

iTrader
Old 12-14-2020, 6:22 PM

Location: Up in the hills, above the beach in the foggy redwoods

Quote:
Has anyone had any luck with Oregon recently? I contacted Jackson and they are not taking Non Residents at this time due to resident applications being back logged.

Jackson County Oregon has never issued any CHLs to California residents.

Quote:

Quote:
You’ll have to show proof of training etc.

Check on the county you want to apply in.
Here is the Klamath County Sheriff's Office page for CHL applications, and the required paperwork. Don't forget to click the link for printing the required application.

****OUT OF STATE RESIDENTS****
NEW APPLICATIONS & RENEWALS ARE BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
New Applicants:

BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
Complete an application
Two (2) pieces of identification - (see below)
Proof of citizenship (see below)
Proof of firearm safety (see below)
Compelling letter
We will take your picture & fingerprint you
$65 cash, check or Money Order - NON REFUNDABLE

PROOF OF FIREARMS SAFETY

Hunter education or safety course approved by the State Department of Fish and Wildlife or similar agency of another state if handgun safety was a component of the course

NRA handgun training and/or safety course

Handgun training and/or safety course available to the public and offered by law enforcement, community college, private or public institution or organization utilizing NRA certified instructors. You must provide the instructor’s NRA number if it is not on your certificate.

Completion of any law enforcement handgun training and/or safety course offered for security guards, investigators, reserve law enforcement officers or any other law enforcement officers

Previous Oregon CHL unless it has been revoked

Certified law enforcement ID (active or retired), DPSST certificate of completion for a certified law enforcement position or equivalent from out of state

Evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in an organized shooting competition

DD214 or Military Training Letter (MUST include the word pistol, handgun or sidearm language on the document)

IDENTIFICATION, PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP ARE THE SAME AS LISTED ABOVE FOR KLAMATH COUNTY RESIDENTS
Old 12-15-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt Leatherneck View Post
Here is the Klamath County Sheriff's Office page for CHL applications, and the required paperwork. Don't forget to click the link for printing the required application.

****OUT OF STATE RESIDENTS****
NEW APPLICATIONS & RENEWALS ARE BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
New Applicants:

BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
Complete an application
Two (2) pieces of identification - (see below)
Proof of citizenship (see below)
Proof of firearm safety (see below)
Compelling letter
We will take your picture & fingerprint you
$65 cash, check or Money Order - NON REFUNDABLE

PROOF OF FIREARMS SAFETY

Hunter education or safety course approved by the State Department of Fish and Wildlife or similar agency of another state if handgun safety was a component of the course

NRA handgun training and/or safety course

Handgun training and/or safety course available to the public and offered by law enforcement, community college, private or public institution or organization utilizing NRA certified instructors. You must provide the instructor’s NRA number if it is not on your certificate.

Completion of any law enforcement handgun training and/or safety course offered for security guards, investigators, reserve law enforcement officers or any other law enforcement officers

Previous Oregon CHL unless it has been revoked

Certified law enforcement ID (active or retired), DPSST certificate of completion for a certified law enforcement position or equivalent from out of state

Evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in an organized shooting competition

DD214 or Military Training Letter (MUST include the word pistol, handgun or sidearm language on the document)

IDENTIFICATION, PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP ARE THE SAME AS LISTED ABOVE FOR KLAMATH COUNTY RESIDENTS

Thank you. Have an appointment this week.