Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 05-15-2022, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffjohns View Post
Unfortunately sir you are incorrect. Palmetto State Armorys top-of-the-line products are FN products
QC and assembly are still done by PSA...

AR-15 parts for sale:
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...4#post26777034
Old 05-15-2022, 11:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Does this describe the barrel you got: 16" 4150V Chrome Moly Vanadium steel barrel, chambered in 5.56 NATO, with a 1:7 twist, M4 barrel extension, and a Mid-length gas system. The barrel is finished with a .750" diameter low-profile gas block, PSA 13.5" Lightweight M-Lok Free Float Rail and an A2 flash hider.

I mean, that is in the description. That is what you got. If you wanted a better barrel, wouldn't it have been better to make sure you got an FN barrel? I understand your frustration but I thought everyone knew PSA was not ultra-top-tier stuff by default. But it is good stuff, I own a few PSA rifles and I like them. Some have FN barrels. Customer service is top notch. I don't think they pulled one over on you, due diligence may have been lacking on your part. If the barrel is a deal breaker send it back.
Old 05-15-2022, 11:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal God View Post
Went and tested using a 14x scope , front rest and rear bag with a lower that a fixed stock and Larue trigger . Shot several different ammo's from 55gr FMJ through 77gr smk . Best I could do was 2moa with Hornady 55gr V-max Superformance ammo

Center Fed AE
Top right 69gr smk
Bottom left 55gr NATO
Bottom right Hornady Superformance
Top left was off paper 77gr GMM - tad worse then the Hornady
I shot some other stuff after the photo was taken , nothing better then 2.5moa

For a comparison This was shot with a PSA build I did with there standard barrel using iron sights and that 69gr smk load

That might have been my best group of the day and that was using iron sights and a mil-spec trigger . Barrel made by the same company with the same exact specs minus the Freedom lettering on the barrel lol
What distance is that from? 100 yards? I am kind of surprised, I didn't think it would be that bad. My PSA rifle with a scope has a 20" FN barrel, tack driver at 100 yards.
Old 05-16-2022, 7:19 AM

100yds and I was surprised as well . I’m not a national champ caliber shooter but I can shoot and 2 - 2.5 moa with a scope at 100yds is not good especially since I shot at least 6 different ammos three of which were match quality.

Quote:
I mean, that is in the description. That is what you got. If you wanted a better barrel, wouldn't it have been better to make sure you got an FN barrel?
I understand what you are saying to a point . PSA chose to market a line of products as Freedom and that line is always cheaper in price then the standard kits . This "implies" something lesser about the Freedom line . Because of this I made sure the word freedom was not in the description before buying . I mean those red parts are nothing special and cost about the same . There was no real reason for "that Freedom" kit to cost over $500 when most if not all there other Freedom kits are $400 or less . I believed I made a sound choice based on the description . I brought this up to the rep when she said to return it and get what I wanted , There is no way to know If I'll get another Freedom barrel because they don't say either way on some kits I guess .

Anyone else find it sad that those who preach tolerance CAN'T allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that they do not necessarily like or agree with) without interference.

I write almost everything in a jovial manner regardless of content . If that's not how you took it please try again

Last edited by Metal God; 05-16-2022 at 7:36 AM..
Old 05-16-2022, 8:12 AM
Veteran Member

If an AR can hit man sized target at 300, IMO, that is good enough.

If you'd like to argue, military marksmanship tests consists of you hitting man sized targets between 50 to 300.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2022, 8:18 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You are really expecting better than 2 MOA from a PSA upper?!

If you want a tack driver, get a Larue upper or build one with a Bartlein or Kreiger barrel and JP bolt.

FYI, AR’s are not meant to be Precision rifles. You can spend lots of money to make it something it’s not, just like an M1A, or accept the platform for its intended design usage and buy yourself a bolt gun (that $300 bolt gun will outshoot your $2K AR).

Last edited by hunterb; 05-16-2022 at 8:22 AM..
Old 05-16-2022, 12:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I'll start here because you are correct and my thinking was wrong . The Freedom line is not the one they dropped it was the P-Tac that was garbage.

Old 05-16-2022, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I think that's what I need to work out in my head . I do/did expect better because I have more then one , maybe 3 PSA barrels that shoot closer to 1moa and one sub moa . In my head I believe I'm thinking since I do have accurate psa barrels they all should be . Yes I understand that is asking a bit much from a budget AR . This one I believe is the worst grouping AR I've shot , by that I mean consistently bad groups regardless of ammo . I'm just going to have to except even though I have accurate PSA barrels ( none say Freedom on them ) that doesn't mean they all will be accurate .

Anyone else find it sad that those who preach tolerance CAN'T allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that they do not necessarily like or agree with) without interference.

I write almost everything in a jovial manner regardless of content . If that's not how you took it please try again
Old 05-16-2022, 5:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I think that's what I need to work out in my head . I do/did expect better because I have more then one , maybe 3 PSA barrels that shoot closer to 1moa and one sub moa . In my head I believe I'm thinking since I do have accurate psa barrels they all should be . Yes I understand that is asking a bit much from a budget AR . This one I believe is the worst grouping AR I've shot , by that I mean consistently bad groups regardless of ammo . I'm just going to have to except even though I have accurate PSA barrels ( none say Freedom on them ) that doesn't mean they all will be accurate .
So you got lucky. Barrels can vary quite a bit even if they're the same. Budget barrel makers will often use their tooling quite a bit longer than more expensive barrels which have higher standards. Get a barrel from a run when the tooling is new and sharp, it will probably be more accurate. Get one from the end and it will be rougher and end up shooting like the one you've got.

If you're expecting higher levels of accuracy get a Ballistic Advantage barrel with the 1 MOA guarantee. They aren't expensive and if it won't shoot at least 1 MOA with match ammo, you could send it back. https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/sub-moa
Old 05-17-2022, 8:57 AM
Veteran Member

Why do you need a Tack Driver?. It is doubtful that you could shoot it to it's potential. But I guess if you got a MOA barrel that you could at least get 3 MOA out of it which would be good to go.

It is doubtful that anyone here could shoot a $2500 AR any better than a $500 AR and if you aren't going to war you will never get your monies worth out of it.

I got a Bushmaster Carbon 15 about 15 years ago. I paid $500? for it and put some other doodads on it. It will hit a man sized target at 300M every time. It even has a Chrome Plated Bore!. It started out at 5 lb 3 oz. now it weighs 6 lbs. due to my extras. I can shoot just over 1" with it anytime with a Red Dot!. It has never malfunctioned on it's own at 5-6 Front Sight Rifle classes. so why did I need a $2500 gun?

I have a Fight-Lite SCR and have a PSA 16"Dissipater upper and a PSA 24" 1:7 upper for it. Both barrels are 1-2 MO depending on what reloads I feed it. Nothing wrong with either one. Nit Picking on components will not make you a better shooter.

I think many of us just need to shoot and use the guns for what they were intended as opposed to trying to get them to be 1 holers when you have not anything to use them for but poking holes in paper targets at the range shooting off a bench.. Thinking it's the guns fault is not usually the problem. These are not Bench Rest Rifles. They are Combat Carbines.

Finally, If you don't load your own ammo you will never reach the potential of your gun. No matter how cheap or expensive it is.

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 05-17-2022 at 8:59 AM..
Old 05-17-2022, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapBloke View Post
If an AR can hit man sized target at 300, IMO, that is good enough.

If you'd like to argue, military marksmanship tests consists of you hitting man sized targets between 50 to 300.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterb View Post

If you want a tack driver, get a Larue upper or build one with a Bartlein or Kreiger barrel and JP bolt.

FYI, AR’s are not meant to be Precision rifles. You can spend lots of money to make it something it’s not, just like an M1A, or accept the platform for its intended design usage and buy yourself a bolt gun (that $300 bolt gun will outshoot your $2K AR).
This is how I think.

Oh yeah....then the earth splits open with me on one side and the (off roster gun) on the other. Then appeared a large red-glowing pit with gavin newscum, diane frankenstein and governor "brown the drain" at the bottom of it, waving their pitchforks at me.
(Non caps intended)
Old 05-17-2022, 1:37 PM
Veteran Member

I gotta laugh, you don't need high-dollar parts to be accurate. Yeah, spend a few bucks on the barrel and everything else can be cheap. Ammo counts though. The White Oak basic barrel is around two bills, no-name bcg, blem upper, inexpensive parts...Holds two MOA, good enough even at 500yds.

Last edited by smoothy8500; 05-17-2022 at 2:10 PM..
Old 05-17-2022, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Why do you need a Tack Driver?. It is doubtful that you could shoot it to it's potential. But I guess if you got a MOA barrel that you could at least get 3 MOA out of it which would be good to go.
If the gun can shoot moa then I'll shoot moa with it , I can shoot well enough to get most of what a rifle can do . Can I do that 100% of the time - no but well enough to know what the rifle is capable of . As far as tack driver , a tack driver to me shoots in the 1's and 2's well better then moa so no I'm not expecting a tack driver .

Quote:
It is doubtful that anyone here could shoot a $2500 AR any better than a $500 AR and if you aren't going to war you will never get your monies worth out of it.
Really , NOBODY shoots very well on this thread or forum for that matter ? I can shoot a 10 shot sub moa group out of my National Match AR when I put a scope on it and I don't consider it a tack driver but it does shoot well

Quote:
Nit Picking on components will not make you a better shooter.
LOL , is that what you think ? I can't shoot so stop complaining about the rifle ?

Quote:
Finally, If you don't load your own ammo you will never reach the potential of your gun. No matter how cheap or expensive it is.
I do reload , been reloading for years . Got all the thingamabobs for precision reloading and use them with great success .

Last edited by Metal God; 05-17-2022 at 4:15 PM..
Old 05-17-2022, 4:19 PM

Stick with the CHF line - those are the only ones with barrels made by FN. Might be pricier, but you only pay once.
Old 05-17-2022, 6:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My first experience with ARs was back around 2013. I managed to finish a 80% lower from 80% Arms. I just had to lock it in the CNC and push the buttons ( it's a great place) That all went away a few months after.

I was lucky to find a semi auto BCG from on GB ( I think it was Wind River?) For $225.00.

Getting the upper was almost impossible for me back then. I got lucky and found a upper from PSA (FN barrel) for $469.00. It was the only upper that I had seen for sale in months.

Things were so much different back then. Don't even talk about 22LR.

I'm sure lots of members recall those times

MLC, First 3
Old 05-17-2022, 6:36 PM

Oh yeah that was right after sandy hook and the first time I got caught not having enough ammo or components for reloading . Been buying Steadily ever since . 2020 rolled around and the panic started , really late 2019 and it was the first time maybe ever I didn’t “need” to buy anything. I did buy stuff but I didn’t need to haha .

Old 05-17-2022, 7:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Oh yeah that was right after sandy hook and the first time I got caught not having enough ammo or components for reloading . Been buying Steadily ever since . 2020 rolled around and the panic started , really late 2019 and it was the first time maybe ever I didn’t “need” to buy anything. I did buy stuff but I didn’t need to haha .
Oh man, those weren't the best days....

I only had about a half dozen guns then and I had just found Cal Guns..lever gun fever, AR sickness and the worst was 1911 itiss......

Apples and PennStater got me into reloading and that really saved me all kinds of money

MLC, First 3