Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 02-08-2021, 11:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by inyocountymark View Post
Congratulations, if you are a veteran, I know a Kern county trainer who gives discounts for veterans
Thank you. I think I found that trainer. A nice couple too. They had a class this past Sunday so I jumped all over it and Wednesday I will do my fingerprinting. Now, to get my husband to apply before he goes out of commission for a bit.

One of the best gifts my husband (Cannon) gave me, was the appreciation of firearms. The other of course was himself. RIP my love. Always in my heart.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:26 PM

Great!
Old 02-19-2021, 8:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Smile

"Congratulations! Your application for a Concealed-Carry Weapon license has been approved.

You can pick up your CCW License at the Kern County Sheriff's Office Monday through Fridays from 8:00am-3:00pm, no appointment necessary.

If you live outside the Bakersfield area and have arranged for your CCW License to be sent to one of our Substation’s, then staff will contact you when the permit is ready for pickup. Please allow a week for your CCW License to reach the Substation Office you requested."

YAY!!!!! Argh, I have to wait another week? I get it but this wait....

One of the best gifts my husband (Cannon) gave me, was the appreciation of firearms. The other of course was himself. RIP my love. Always in my heart.

Last edited by Crkwolf; 02-19-2021 at 8:26 AM.. Reason: Add additional stuff
Old 02-19-2021, 3:36 PM

Congrats!

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2021, 3:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkerfish View Post
Congrats!

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
Thank you.

Old 03-01-2022, 9:44 PM

Hi forum members, this site/forum is an amazing source of fantastic information and I applaud those who continue to share.

With that I was hoping for some insight or direction prior to my application process is started in Kern County. A little background on myself for clarity and then I’ll explain my questions further. As a juvenile I was found guilty of an assault from my high school days that happened on school grounds. I was taken ward of the state and successfully completed a short stay at Camp Erwin Owens in Kernville, Ca. Upon the completion my probation was also completed successfully with no issues to speak of.

Moving into my adult life I have been arrested twice and have had 2 moving violations while operating a motor vehicle. The first arrest came at 19 yrs of age for a disturbing the peace call that ended up with a night in the holding tank, a fine, and a class to have the charges dismissed. Moving ahead 2 years while 21 yrs old I learned the tough lesson of drinking and driving. I was held over night, paid the fine, and have since had zero run ins with law enforcement whatsoever. The moving violations were a seat belt ticket and speeding ticket at ages 19 and 20, not so much as a parking ticket since.

As of today I am 34, turning 35 this summer. Since my juvenile conviction 19 yrs ago (15 at the time) and the DUI nearly 14 years ago I have matured and obeyed the law. I fully intend on listing all contact with law enforcement as I want to be as transparent as possible however I’m running into a slight road block. Obtaining juvenile records is a lengthy process, in order to provide Sheriff Youngblood with accurate information of my juvenile case I was wondering if a live scan will provide the information that I am seeking? Also, with the driving infractions being 15 yrs old I would assume that listing a rough month and year should classify as acceptable?

I believe it is worth mentioning that when 22-23yrs old I was denied my dros when attempting to purchase a 25-06 long gun. The explanation from the DOJ was that my juvenile conviction prohibited me from owning any firearms until my 30th birthday. I am currently on day 9 of my first purchase since the original denial 10-12yrs ago and this fact alone gives me hope that a self generated live scan might show my juvenile case information.

Is there anyone here that has experienced a similar situation or that could possibility provide me some insight? I do t want to get into the “you’re not going to granted” or “you’re wasting your time” due to the juvenile, school yard fist fight conviction as even if this ends up being the case I’ll accept the result. My biggest concern is being 100% transparent with the local sheriffs office to represent my obvious good moral character. I believe that the attempt is well worth the money to exercise my rights even if I do t get the results I am hopeful for.

Thank you for your time, my apologies for the lengthy write up, and if this isn’t the correct thread please let me know and I will move it. Thanks again for your time, stay safe!
Old 03-01-2022, 11:10 PM

well........I would wait till your 10th day, which is
02MAR2022 correct? If so, then by the time of pick up you will know for sure.

Usually if you have gone 9 days without being denied your 10th day should be the day. Personally I have not heard of anyone being denied at that timeframe, however there is always a chance of being turned down for your purchase on the last day. Please post after all is said and done.
Old 03-02-2022, 6:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipelineJunkie87 View Post
As of today I am 34, turning 35 this summer. Since my juvenile conviction 19 yrs ago (15 at the time) and the DUI nearly 14 years ago I have matured and obeyed the law. I fully intend on listing all contact with law enforcement as I want to be as transparent as possible however I’m running into a slight road block. Obtaining juvenile records is a lengthy process, in order to provide Sheriff Youngblood with accurate information of my juvenile case I was wondering if a live scan will provide the information that I am seeking? Also, with the driving infractions being 15 yrs old I would assume that listing a rough month and year should classify as acceptable?
Sheriff Youngblood will have direct access to everything in your record, including juvenile activities and even expunged records. The “traffic infractions” part of the application cuts off at 5 years, but the “arrests” part is forever. If you don’t have specific dates, a general stab at it should do.

I would suggest you provide touch points…year, month, location, court jurisdiction (if known) etc….they will have the details. This achieves two things. First, it shows you’re being as transparent about the past as possible, and second, if you have forgotten something, it will appear an inadvertent oversight instead of an overt omission.

My sense is that it’s always better to be asked, “Why did you include this?”, instead of, “Why did you leave this out?” Provide as much information as you can without writing an essay on your past “evil” doings.

The focus will be not on what you did (unless, you know, murder…drug running, etc.) but how long has it been since you did something and what have you done with your life since then. For example, years ago, when I applied in Sacramento, they had DUI info from 40 years prior. While we briefly discussed my checkered past, the focus was on what I had done with my life since then.

Best of luck to you.
Old 03-02-2022, 9:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Sheriff Youngblood will have direct access to everything in your record, including juvenile activities and even expunged records. The “traffic infractions” part of the application cuts off at 5 years, but the “arrests” part is forever. If you don’t have specific dates, a general stab at it should do.

I would suggest you provide touch points…year, month, location, court jurisdiction (if known) etc….they will have the details. This achieves two things. First, it shows you’re being as transparent about the past as possible, and second, if you have forgotten something, it will appear an inadvertent oversight instead of an overt omission.

My sense is that it’s always better to be asked, “Why did you include this?”, instead of, “Why did you leave this out?” Provide as much information as you can without writing an essay on your past “evil” doings.

The focus will be not on what you did (unless, you know, murder…drug running, etc.) but how long has it been since you did something and what have you done with your life since then. For example, years ago, when I applied in Sacramento, they had DUI info from 40 years prior. While we briefly discussed my checkered past, the focus was on what I had done with my life since then.

Best of luck to you.
Thank you, this is right in line with my thought process as well. Knowing the sheriffs office will see all of the infractions isn’t a surprise and in my honest opinion shouldn’t hinder me in my success. My biggest concern is getting the dates correct for the underage acts/court proceedings/probation periods. Like mentioned above obtaining juvenile records isn’t an easy thing to accomplish nor is guaranteed, you must petition for a copy.

Thanks again for the detailed response and wishes, I will be starting the application on Monday as long as nobody strongly advises I should provide exact dates for 19 yr old issues. If this has been a deal breaker for others I will petition the court and wait for the results prior to applying.
Old 03-02-2022, 9:59 AM

Quote:
well........I would wait till your 10th day, which is
02MAR2022 correct? If so, then by the time of pick up you will know for sure.

Usually if you have gone 9 days without being denied your 10th day should be the day. Personally I have not heard of anyone being denied at that timeframe, however there is always a chance of being turned down for your purchase on the last day. Please post after all is said and done.
With the time stamp I won’t be able to pick up the fire arm until Friday morning when the store opens up. My gut says I am okay as I agree with your statement above…I have read it isn’t impossible for flags to wave even after taking possession but I have a good feeling as I have no other encounters other than what was listed in the original post. Fingers crossed. Thank you.
Old 03-03-2022, 5:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipelineJunkie87 View Post
Like mentioned above obtaining juvenile records isn’t an easy thing to accomplish nor is guaranteed, you must petition for a copy.
Stop throwing up barriers for yourself.

Who do you believe can access your juvenile records more easily…you or a law enforcement agency? (Hint: it isn’t you).

Year, location, disposition. They have detectives…let them detect.
Old 03-03-2022, 8:52 PM

My old friend dvrjon said it right, not that he is old, but as in ol' friend, dang h e double toothpicks, sucks getting old....right old friend?
Old 03-03-2022, 8:54 PM

deleted

Last edited by inyocountymark; 03-04-2022 at 10:31 PM.. Reason: HUA + 10
Old 03-03-2022, 8:55 PM

you are Welcome pipelinejunkie87
Old 03-03-2022, 8:57 PM

how do I go back to correct posts?
Old 03-04-2022, 6:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
how do I go back to correct posts?
Hey, Mark. It has been a while…glad to see you still have the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

In the bottom right corner of your post should be an icon for “edit”. Click on that and you can edit or delete the post. Once opened, you may have to go to “advanced” to do what you want.
Old 03-04-2022, 11:29 AM

The DROS was clear and I took delivery this morning. I have reached out to one instructor who advised contacting the sargent at the KCSO licensing office for further questions. I plan to speak with a couple of more instructors before I bother the department and will likely submit my app over the weekend.

Thanks for all of the information once again. Have a great weekend and stay dry here in the valley.
Old 03-04-2022, 1:28 PM

Congratulations plj87
Old 03-04-2022, 1:30 PM

Thank You Dvrjon, yep still above ground
I was on the other version all good now

Last edited by inyocountymark; 03-04-2022 at 1:32 PM..
Old 03-08-2022, 11:36 AM

I got my documentation together and submitted for the app today, 03/08/2022. The confirmation email stated that approval times are approximately 6 months. Fingers crossed, I cant thank you members enough for the help and information. Have a blessed day!
Old 03-08-2022, 3:30 PM

Recently received my CCW from Kern. Once I submitted the application took me about 10 months.
Old 03-08-2022, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoark View Post
Recently received my CCW from Kern. Once I submitted the application took me about 10 months.
Wow!!! That’s a very long time. Would you mind sharing the amount of time that it took to find out if you were approved?
Old 03-12-2022, 8:41 PM

Took about 8 months for county approval, another 2 months for state to issue the permit.
Old 03-12-2022, 8:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoark View Post
Took about 8 months for county approval, another 2 months for state to issue the permit.
A process clarification.

The state doesn't issue the permit. The state runs background and weapons checks, then reports to the IA. The IA issues.

Last edited by Dvrjon; 03-13-2022 at 6:14 AM..
Old 03-16-2022, 7:52 PM

Yikes!!! Fingers crossed for a much shorter turn around time as things open up. Thanks for sharing Howard.
Old 04-19-2022, 5:46 PM

Hey all, got notice of application approval today (applied in December of last year) the email says to get my documents ready and set up an appt for live scan. Is now the time to take my Firearm training course or wait til a later date?

Edit:also is there no ccw interview with Kern county?

Last edited by Moralesgj17; 04-20-2022 at 8:04 AM..
Old 04-22-2022, 9:50 PM

no interview required in kern, wait till background investigation clears, if denied, you will not have wasted the money for the firearms course, please keep the board up to date. Good Luck My Friend

Last edited by inyocountymark; 04-22-2022 at 10:01 PM..
Old 04-29-2022, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moralesgj17 View Post
Hey all, got notice of application approval today (applied in December of last year) the email says to get my documents ready and set up an appt for live scan. Is now the time to take my Firearm training course or wait til a later date?

Edit:also is there no ccw interview with Kern county?
This is somewhat good news hearing that Kern County is currently moving a little quicker than they mentioned. When I applied on March 8th I was informed that the process is taking 6 months, two months longer than your approval.

Please keep us updated on the process, although it has only been 7 weeks since I applied I feel like it has been an eternity but your post gives puts a smile on my face. Goodluck!!!
Old 04-29-2022, 3:51 PM

My brother was recently approved for his CCW permit earlier this month in kern . Took roughly 6 months . Once approved he took the class and submitted documents and did his live scan. Now he is just waiting for the license to be issued which should be about another week or so.
Old 04-29-2022, 3:57 PM

My brother was recently approved for his CCW permit earlier this month in kern . Took roughly 6 months . Once approved he took the class and submitted documents and did his live scan. Now he is just waiting for the license to be issued which should be about another week or so.
Old 04-30-2022, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman81 View Post
For sure…I was worried the approval process was taking 6 months meaning closer to 8 to obtain the actual permit…I obviously haven’t taken the class yet due to extended wait times so having permit in hand within 6 months is definitely better than waiting that long for approval. I’ve waited 35 years, a few more months won’t hurt I suppose lol.

Thank you for sharing your brothers experience, seems to be pretty consistent with what most others are experiencing as well.
Old 05-13-2022, 10:31 PM

Hello everyone,

I have question about eligibility to obtain a CCW. Some background first, I am a gun owner and never really had any issue with buying one and I have 7+ guns/rifles that I bought over the years. I have a conviction that is about 10 years old, it was a petty theft conviction. The conviction has been expunged and I settled everything with the court. I have really changed my life, went to college, got professional job and I have a kids and my wife. My question is, will this conviction prevent me from obtaining a CCW? Not sure if this is the correct section to post this. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-14-2022, 7:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohenry View Post
Hello everyone,

I have question about eligibility to obtain a CCW. Some background first, I am a gun owner and never really had any issue with buying one and I have 7+ guns/rifles that I bought over the years. I have a conviction that is about 10 years old, it was a petty theft conviction. The conviction has been expunged and I settled everything with the court. I have really changed my life, went to college, got professional job and I have a kids and my wife. My question is, will this conviction prevent me from obtaining a CCW? Not sure if this is the correct section to post this. Thanks in advance.
As a general rule, screwing up is less important than the length of time since the screw up and what you’ve done during that time.

I’d be surprised if your screwup back then would be seen to characterize you today. Apply.