Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 07-23-2019, 10:41 AM

Default Will LEO honor scanned CCW card

Traveling to Las Vegas soon with my wife and 3 kids. I have non resident permits from UT and AZ but I couldn’t find them. I have scanned copies of both cards on my phone. Both cards were issued last year. Would it be alright?
Your inputs are appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-23-2019, 10:56 AM

That seems highly unlikely to me. It is my understanding that the CCW holder must be in possession of the license anytime he or she is carrying, to provide proof that the jurisdiction in question has granted permission.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:58 AM
Calguns Addict

^^^
Old 07-23-2019, 11:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Allegedly some so cal departments will detail you to verify that your CA license is valid.

Get stopped at a DUI checkpoint, hand over your CHL and CDL, you might be held until it can be verified....

and you want to do a scanned picture..... I would not suggest that option

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 07-23-2019, 11:48 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

You lost them both?

My guess is a scanned copy would most likely get you a summons that would be dismissed at your court hearing when you provide an actual CCW. Then you can try to get the piece back that the LEO confiscated.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Don't plan on an LEO treating a scanned copy of a CCW Permit as being authentic.

The problem is that electronic copies of documents are easily forged or altered. The LEO has no method of ensuring that the scanned document accurately represents the original one.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
You lost them both?

My guess is a scanned copy would most likely get you a summons that would be dismissed at your court hearing when you provide an actual CCW. Then you can try to get the piece back that the LEO confiscated.
It might be somewhere inside my bigger safe, . I haven’t been out of state in a while, I can’t remember where I put it I still have my CA permit(which I know is not valid in NV)
Old 07-23-2019, 12:32 PM

I got mine in OC and was given, by the officer, a photo copied version along with my actual card. They said to keep them separate in case one was lost or stolen.

Might be different in the county you were issued

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2019, 2:56 PM
Veteran Member

Depends on county that issues it. Some counties allow you to use a scanned copy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2019, 4:18 PM
Calguns Addict

LVMPD 702 828 3111

Call them & ask.

or

Clark County Detention Center 702 671 3900

Call them & ask what the bail schedule is for carrying a loaded / concealed handgun is.

Good Luck
Old 07-26-2019, 11:38 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRonio View Post
Traveling to Las Vegas soon with my wife and 3 kids. I have non resident permits from UT and AZ but I couldn’t find them. I have scanned copies of both cards on my phone. Both cards were issued last year. Would it be alright?
Nope.

Nevada laws requires the permit holder, while carrying concealed, to be in actual possession of their valid carry permit and be in possession of their valid State issued DL/ID.

A copy, electronic or physical, is not considered a valid permit.

Also note that while carrying concealed...
Not possessing your valid State issued DL/ID, but possessing a valid carry permit, may invalidate the validity of your carry permit.

You need to possess both, valid carry permit and valid DL/ID, to be exempt from NV conceal carry laws.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 07-26-2019 at 11:43 AM..
Old 08-25-2019, 1:42 PM

Often, the language of an ordnance/law is written so that a violation not only includes whatever you may violate, but also the failure to possess or display any mitigating evidence.

To wit: My workplace has staff parking and I have been issued a dangly-thingee parking permit to attach to my mirror. I can be cited for parking in the exact same spot I have for years if I don't show it ... because the parking violation is written as (paraphrasing here) "parking in a so-designated location without displaying approved permit". Therefore, I wouldn't be cited for parking where I'm not supposed to park (because I actually am), but for parking there without my dangly-thingee parking permit hanging from my mirror. Hasn't happened to me but plenty of my friends have been popped for just that.

Driver's License laws, and other similar laws, require you to possess the actual physical, issued piece of paper/plastic/composite space-age material representing your license. I'll take a WAG and speculate a CCW is the same.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:14 AM

Quiet covered this accurately.
Quote:
[NRS 202.3667  Permittee to carry permit and proper identification when in possession of concealed firearm; penalty.

1.  Each permittee shall carry the permit, or a duplicate issued pursuant to the provisions of NRS 202.367, together with proper identification whenever the permittee is in actual possession of a concealed firearm. Both the permit and proper identification must be presented if requested by a peace officer.

2.  A permittee who violates the provisions of this section is subject to a civil penalty of $25 for each violation.

(Added to NRS by 1995, 2724)
Old 07-02-2020, 2:20 PM

Quote:
How do you lose them They should be in wallet all the time. Good luck
Old 07-02-2020, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD427 View Post
Don't plan on an LEO treating a scanned copy of a CCW Permit as being authentic.

The problem is that electronic copies of documents are easily forged or altered. The LEO has no method of ensuring that the scanned document accurately represents the original one.
Like originals aren't something that look like they can be cooked up by an average teenager with internet access?
Old 07-02-2020, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
Like originals aren't something that look like they can be cooked up by an average teenager with internet access?
It's all a question of effort. Anything can be forged.

But it's a lot more difficult to electronically alter a document, and then reproduce the altered document in hard copy, than it is to simply alter the document in electronic form.

The law requires the officer to accept the hard copy, unless there is evidence of alteration.

The law don't require him/her to accept the electronic copy.

Guess what the nice officer is gonna do.
Old 07-02-2020, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwk View Post
It’s been 11 months...he’s probably found them by now.

I suspect he’s also completed his trip.

And no, my out-of-state CCWs are not in my wallet all the time. They have no value or use in this state.
Old 07-02-2020, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwk View Post
No need to carry out of State cards unless you are in fact OUT OF STATE.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain
Old 07-02-2020, 4:29 PM

Location: Born on the Sacramento River. Raised by an a Alligator, sired by a Lion. Backbone o' barbed wire!!

Not in Sac Co.
Old 07-03-2020, 1:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Special View Post
No need to carry out of State cards unless you are in fact OUT OF STATE.
While true, you could find yourself in the same situation as the OP. All of mine, including my expired NV, are in my wallet.
Old 07-03-2020, 3:58 PM

How can you keep track of your weapons/ammo if you can't find your CCW card? Messing with you.

LEOs will bust you - make that assumption and you will be OK.
Old 07-03-2020, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJ475 View Post
While true, you could find yourself in the same situation as the OP. All of mine, including my expired NV, are in my wallet.
With all due respect, daily carry of licenses not recognized in CA is pointless, but to carry an expired license not recognized in CA is...different.

Suggestion:
1. Alpha file drawer/folder; put licenses in “L”.
2. Add contact to cell phone; label it as “Licenses”; enter comment to “Look in file ‘L’”. (Old schoolers: use Rolodex)
2.a. Record license numbers and state, also.
3. (Bonus note Make calendar entries 90/60/30 days prior to expiry dates of licenses.

Old 07-03-2020, 5:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It amazes me the lack of planning/care shown with personal items of importance!
Old 07-04-2020, 7:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
With all due respect, daily carry of licenses not recognized in CA is pointless, but to carry an expired license not recognized in CA is...different.

Suggestion:
1. Alpha file drawer/folder; put licenses in “L”.
2. Add contact to cell phone; label it as “Licenses”; enter comment to “Look in file ‘L’”. (Old schoolers: use Rolodex)
2.a. Record license numbers and state, also.
3. (Bonus note Make calendar entries 90/60/30 days prior to expiry dates of licenses.

Pointless? How so? Did you miss that I do not live in CA. Are you suggesting that I should not carry my ID, UT, OR and WA permits on a daily basis? As far as my NV permit being expired, NV recognizes my ID and UT permits. So it was not critical to renew it before it expired.
Old 07-04-2020, 7:14 AM

Quote:
NO. They want the actual paper.

"A Holocaust survivor dies of old age, when he gets to heaven he tells God a Holocaust joke. God says, That isn't funny. The Old man tells God, well, I guess you had to be there."
Old 07-04-2020, 8:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJ475 View Post
Pointless? How so? Did you miss that I do not live in CA. Are you suggesting that I should not carry my ID, UT, OR and WA permits on a daily basis? As far as my NV permit being expired, NV recognizes my ID and UT permits. So it was not critical to renew it before it expired.
To the context of this thread, out-of-state CCWs have no validity within CA, so it really doesn’t matter where you live...the issue isn’t about you.

But, in a larger sense, it really doesn’t matter where one lives.

What would be the point, if one has (or doesn’t have) a CCW license in their home state and spends the majority of one’s time in that state, of carrying a bunch of other state’s licenses around with you? With that, what is the point of carrying around an expired license?

Have a lovely Fourth of July.
Old 07-04-2020, 8:39 AM

Quote:
No they will not.
Old 07-04-2020, 9:05 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

The date of the original post is important to note here folks.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
To the context of this thread, out-of-state CCWs have no validity within CA, so it really doesn’t matter where you live...the issue isn’t about you.

But, in a larger sense, it really doesn’t matter where one lives.

What would be the point, if one has (or doesn’t have) a CCW license in their home state and spends the majority of one’s time in that state, of carrying a bunch of other state’s licenses around with you? With that, what is the point of carrying around an expired license?

Have a lovely Fourth of July.
The OP's plan was to travel to NV and he wanted to rely on his non resident AZ and or UT permits but did not know where they were. The point is that unlike the OP I know where mine are because I carry them all the time. Except for WA, they are all plastic DL/CC sized cards, which makes them easy to carry. When folded, WA is the same size.

The point of carrying an expired NV permit is that if I should I need to get any information off of it I will know where it is and not have to wonder where I put it.

I also wish you a Happy Fourth of July.

Last edited by BAJ475; 07-04-2020 at 5:27 PM.. Reason: The date of the OP post
Old 08-14-2020, 12:59 PM

No self respecting LEO would accept a scanned copy. Fresno County gives you a credit card version and the paper but tells you not to use the credit card version outside the county. You must always carry the paper original.