Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 11-09-2018, 3:22 PM

Default Renewing TX CHL as an Out Of State

So my Texas CHL expired a few months ago, but fortunately there is a one-year grace period during which I can still renew. Got off the phone with TXDPS recently, which informed me that the process was:

1. Go to the CA state PD and request confirmation that I can keep my CHL from another state
2. Send in the LTC-6 (photo holder) and copy of my current DL
Also send in LTC 77 (renewal application) and LTC 85 and 86.

Right now I'm a little befuddled as to how do I complete step 1, wherein I confirm whether I can keep my CHL?

Has anyone else been through this process?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-17-2018, 9:38 PM

have you checked Texas department of safety website for the right info ? I don't think question 1 sounds logical. Go to dps website and follow renewal process.You can upload all your documents to Texas dps online

I am a Texas resident so I don't have deep knowledge on Texas out of state ltc. The good news is you will probably have your ltc in less than 3 wks after sending in required documents.
Old 11-19-2018, 5:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Since CCWs are issued buy local law enforcement in CA, you’d have to ask the question of your local Sherriff or Chief of Police. I doubt they answer the question, but am sure they’ll as about your residency.

So,

Are you a Texas resident, or California resident? If TX, go through their process with your TX address.

I suspect, however, that you qualify as a CA resident, which means you have to apply to TX for a non-resident license.

Regardless, the TX license isn’t recognized in CA, and won’t allow you to legally carry here.
Old 11-20-2018, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Since CCWs are issued buy local law enforcement in CA, you’d have to ask the question of your local Sherriff or Chief of Police. I doubt they answer the question, but am sure they’ll as about your residency.

So,

Are you a Texas resident, or California resident? If TX, go through their process with your TX address.

I suspect, however, that you qualify as a CA resident, which means you have to apply to TX for a non-resident license.

Regardless, the TX license isn’t recognized in CA, and won’t allow you to legally carry here.
Hi Dvrjon, I'm a CA resident. Definitely need to apply as a non-resident. I was informed by TXDPS that I need to contact my state's police authority to confirm that I am allowed to hold an out-of-state license. I'm just confused as to where I actually go for this. The intent is just so I can still carry when I visit my family back in Texas.

Local sheriff or chief of police...I live in San Jose, does that mean Santa Clara County Sheriff or SJPD?
Old 11-20-2018, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenghisQuan View Post
Hi Dvrjon, I'm a CA resident. Definitely need to apply as a non-resident. I was informed by TXDPS that I need to contact my state's police authority to confirm that I am allowed to hold an out-of-state license. I'm just confused as to where I actually go for this. The intent is just so I can still carry when I visit my family back in Texas.

Local sheriff or chief of police...I live in San Jose, does that mean Santa Clara County Sheriff or SJPD?
You can hold an out of state license without it being any business of local law enforcement, many of us have AZ or UT permits while living in CA. But as stated above they are NOT valid in CA.
Old 11-20-2018, 7:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenghisQuan View Post

Don’t bother asking. No CA law precludes this (I hold a CA CCW and three non-resident, other state, licenses), and the TXDPS doesn’t ask for it in the process.

Texas Gov Code GC §411.173.
Quote:
NON-RESIDENT LICENSE.
(a) The department by rule shall establish a procedure for a person who meets the eligibility requirements of this subchapter other than the residency requirement established by Section 411.172(a)(1) to obtain a license under
this subchapter if the person is a legal resident of another state
or if the person relocates to this state with the intent to establish residency in this state.
Texas appears to have implemented this through the same system for in-state residents, you just use your CA DL and address. The application is on line at: https://txapps.texas.gov/txapp/txdps...nOutOfState.do

Good luck.