Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 10-15-2018, 4:07 PM

Default Truck Drivers with CCW traveling through different states.

So got my California CCW, Carry regularly. Got my Class A CDL and a few months on the road local driving and looking for companies to get on with.

Many of them I am interested in travel multiple states and I see not all states honor California CCW.

One travels the western states, California, Oregon, Washington, Nevada etc.
But Oregon and Washington do not honor California CCW. Is it possible to CCW while operating in those states somehow? What process would I need to complete?

Another job operates mostly in the east, Jersey, chicago etc. I am assuming CCW in those states as a driver would be damn near impossible?

I do not want to have to lock my gun up when I cross into Oregon or Nevada.

Looks like a utah permit would open up Washington and Nevada but I would still be blocked from Oregon.

"A Holocaust survivor dies of old age, when he gets to heaven he tells God a Holocaust joke. God says, That isn't funny. The Old man tells God, well, I guess you had to be there."

Last edited by CaliforniaCowboy; 10-15-2018 at 4:11 PM..
Old 10-15-2018, 7:37 PM

Location: Up in the hills, above the beach in the foggy redwoods

You have to apply in person for an Oregon Non-Resident 'CHL" - as a walk in at the Lake, or Grant Counties Sheriff's Offices. Or get on the 4+months long waiting list at the Klamath County Sheriff's Office. Those are the only Counties I know of that will accept a California Resident for a Non-Resident CHL (concealed Handgun License).

I applied in Lakeview, Oregon - at the Lake County Sheriff's Office on September 20th, and even though I am checking my PO Box on a regular basis, I expect my license to arrive any day now.

Plus the Oregon Non-Resident CHL covers Nevada, which is a bonus for me!

As others told me here, go to the bottom of the page, and expand the time limit for showing threads for at least 6 months to see what others have done in the past.

Here is an interactive map showing what states recognize another states CCW/ CHL license.

https://www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws...egon-gun-laws/
Old 10-16-2018, 7:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCowboy View Post
So got my California CCW, Carry regularly. Got my Class A CDL and a few months on the road local driving and looking for companies to get on with.

Many of them I am interested in travel multiple states and I see not all states honor California CCW.

One travels the western states, California, Oregon, Washington, Nevada etc.
But Oregon and Washington do not honor California CCW. Is it possible to CCW while operating in those states somehow? What process would I need to complete?

Another job operates mostly in the east, Jersey, chicago etc. I am assuming CCW in those states as a driver would be damn near impossible?

I do not want to have to lock my gun up when I cross into Oregon or Nevada.

Looks like a utah permit would open up Washington and Nevada but I would still be blocked from Oregon.
You are correct. Utah would open up Nevada and Washington. The only way to get Oregon is to apply in person and they are "may issue" for California residents ("shall issue" for Oregon residents). Klamath County (appointments are about 3 months out last I heard) and Grant County are the two best counties for California residents as they are effectively "shall issue."

Depending on where you are located, I teach the Utah class around the state. After the class, you would apply by mail. Over the next month, I have classes in Fresno, Merced, Modesto, Rancho Cucamonga, Moreno Valley, Roseville, and Vacaville.

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

Classes are held statewide

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900
Old 10-16-2018, 7:28 AM

Also, Jersey and Illinois are a no go. In between the two, you are good in Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, and Kentucky with your California permit. West Virginia is constitutional carry (make sure you check restrictions). The only way to get Pennsylvania (as a California resident) is with a Pennsylvania non-resident permit. You have to apply in person and pick up in person for that. Some counties are better than others (stay away from Philly) at issuing quickly.

Note: Many people will tell you to get a New Hampshire non-resident permit to add Pennsylvania. This used to be the case, but as of earlier this year, Pennsylvania no longer accepts the New Hampshire non-resident permit.

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900
Old 10-16-2018, 9:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whites of Their Eyes View Post
depending on where you are located, I teach the Utah class around the state. After the class, you would apply by mail. Over the next month, I have classes in Fresno, Merced, Modesto, Rancho Cucamonga, Moreno Valley, Roseville, and Vacaville.
Feel free to post your schedule if you have one. I might hit you up if things line up.

"A Holocaust survivor dies of old age, when he gets to heaven he tells God a Holocaust joke. God says, That isn't funny. The Old man tells God, well, I guess you had to be there."
Old 10-16-2018, 9:59 AM

Other than the national reciprocity some in the gov were pushing and seem to have kind of abandoned as it seems, I read up on another push for an amendment to current laws that would have an exception for Interstate truck drivers that would basically give nation wide reciprocity to truck drivers with CCP. Citing that they cross state lines in the line of work on a daily basis, the confusion of keeping up with laws state to state and the statistics of truck drivers being at higher risk of assault due to the job, carrying valuable cargo, parking at shady truck stops and other parking areas in usually not so great industrial neighborhoods, Road rage drivers etc. I believe the statistics showed 25% of drivers have been physically assaulted on the job at some point etc. It is called Michael’s Law Amendment, but I do not know exactly how much progress it has made thus far. It was being pushed in 2016.

There is a petition for it here.. https://www.change.org/p/wayne-lapie...-18-u-s-c-926a

Last edited by CaliforniaCowboy; 10-16-2018 at 10:07 AM..
Old 10-16-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Other than the national reciprocity some in the gov were pushing and seem to have kind of abandoned as it seems, I read up on another push for an amendment to current laws that would have an exception for Interstate truck drivers that would basically give nation wide reciprocity to truck drivers with CCP. Citing that they cross state lines in the line of work on a daily basis, the confusion of keeping up with laws state to state and the statistics of truck drivers being at higher risk of assault due to the job, carrying valuable cargo, parking at shady truck stops and other parking areas in usually not so great industrial neighborhoods, Road rage drivers etc. I believe the statistics showed 25% of drivers have been physically assaulted on the job at some point etc. It is called Michael’s Law Amendment, but I do not know exactly how much progress it has made thus far. It was being pushed in 2016.

There is a petition for it here.. https://www.change.org/p/wayne-lapie...-18-u-s-c-926a
I would love to see it get passed, but it appears as though it has lost steam. I know there are still advocacy groups trying to push it!

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900
Old 10-16-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Feel free to post your schedule if you have one. I might hit you up if things line up.
For the Utah class (also satisfies training for Oregon if you need it)

Fresno- Saturday, 10/27/18 from 10 am until 2 pm
Merced- Thursday, 11/1/18 from 5:30 pm until 9:30 pm
Modesto- Saturday, 11/3/18 from 9 am until 1 pm
Rancho Cucamonga- Saturday, 11/10/18 from 8:30 am until 12:30 pm
Moreno Valley- Saturday, 11/10/18 from 2:30 pm until 6:30 pm
Roseville- Saturday, 11/17/18 from 8:30 am until 12:30 pm
Vacaville- Saturday, 11/17/18 from 2:30 pm until 6:30 pm
Stockton- Saturday, 12/1/18 from 9 am until 1 pm

That is everything through the end of the year.

There will be a class on January 19 in Stanton in the morning. I will be working on the rest of January soon.

The cost is $74.99 for Calguns members for the class. Utah charges $62 (valid for 5 years) and you will also need fingerprints ($10-$25 and available at most classes) and a passport photograph ($5 at Costco).

If you have any questions, let me know!

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900
Old 10-16-2018, 10:54 AM

You do not have to be a resident of any of the cities it is being held in correct?

Old 10-16-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
You do not have to be a resident of any of the cities it is being held in correct?
That is correct

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900