Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 04-12-2017, 1:38 PM

Default Klamath County Or Non Resident CCW

Anyone go through and get theirs recently?

I do not have my CA CCW yet, going through the nice long process. Have appointments for my father and myself in Klamath County in a couple of weeks and just wondering how it has gone for any one else recently
Old 04-13-2017, 11:18 AM

I stopped at the Klamath Co Sheriff today to see about a non resident CCW. The very attractive young lady behind the glass told me I would need the following:

- The 5 page application she handed me
- My NV drivers license
- My NV CCW
- A compelling letter to the sheriff
- $65 cash or check
- 1 other form of ID

I didn't ask what a compelling letter consisted of. I assume a passport would work as another form of ID.
Old 04-14-2017, 7:40 AM

Got that pretty well covered in the phone conversation to set up the appointment. I was just curious if anyone had gone through the process recently and been approved. Hopefully it won't end up being a waste of time.
Old 04-21-2017, 1:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonDJ11 View Post
Got that pretty well covered in the phone conversation to set up the appointment. I was just curious if anyone had gone through the process recently and been approved. Hopefully it won't end up being a waste of time.
I, too, would like to know if they're issuing to non-residents or if anyone has been successful in obtaining an OR non-resident permit from any other counties.
2.5" Smith & Wesson Model 66
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Colt Series 70 1911
Sig Sauer West German P228
Glock Gen5 19/17/34 MOS
Old 04-22-2017, 8:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdo View Post
I, too, would like to know if they're issuing to non-residents or if anyone has been successful in obtaining an OR non-resident permit from any other counties.
My non resident OR permit was issued by the Klamath Co Sheriff. That was a few years back. Do not know if it helped that I also have CA, NV and UT.
Old 04-25-2017, 8:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdo View Post
Well, my appointment is in a week. Know for sure before too long, I hope
Old 04-26-2017, 6:21 PM

would be interested to know how it goes, please update after.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Well, my appointment is in a week. Know for sure before too long, I hope
Based on my experience, if you were told to come in and apply it is now a mere technicality. All they had me do when I appeared was to submit my signed application, pay the fees and have my fingerprints and photo taken.
Old 04-27-2017, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage View Post
would be interested to know how it goes, please update after.
I will definitely let everyone know
Old 04-27-2017, 8:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJ475 View Post
Based on my experience, if you were told to come in and apply it is now a mere technicality. All they had me do when I appeared was to submit my signed application, pay the fees and have my fingerprints and photo taken.
That is exactly what I am hoping for
Old 05-02-2017, 3:11 PM

So, dad and I had our appointments today at ten. We arrived at 9:50, handed them our paperwork, were finger printed, photo taken and out the door in under twenty minutes. They said it will arrive in 10-12 weeks. Hopefully it'll be quicker.
Old 05-02-2017, 5:53 PM

Lake Co. is quick and easy. No appointment needed for the original, a dozen years ago. and no appointment for renewal. I would call and see if anything has changed.
Barney
Old 05-02-2017, 7:20 PM

What was needed to satisfy the 'compelling letter to Sheriff'?
Old 05-03-2017, 6:31 AM

I just wrote something simple, stating I was requesting my concealed handgun license, that I do go to Oregon multiple times a year to camp and fish. In addition to those trips, both my girlfriend and I have family in the state that we visit.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I just wrote something simple, stating I was requesting my concealed handgun license, that I do go to Oregon multiple times a year to camp and fish. In addition to those trips, both my girlfriend and I have family in the state that we visit.
Thanks! Pretty much what I was thinking. I moved down here awhile back, but like you, make multiple trips back every year, to visit family, and hunt & fish. I spend a fair amount of time in Deschutes Co. and they do not grant non resident.
Old 05-04-2017, 6:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XVIga_Rob View Post
Thanks! Pretty much what I was thinking. I moved down here awhile back, but like you, make multiple trips back every year, to visit family, and hunt & fish. I spend a fair amount of time in Deschutes Co. and they do not grant non resident.
They didn't care what County. And as we were wrapping up, the lady stated that we would get the permit in 10-12 weeks. Pretty much stating that as long as there are no problems on the background check, you are approved. That is how I took it to be.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:15 PM

I will second getting an Oregon LTC from Klamath. I am renewing mine there this month. My letter to the sheriff states I have family in Oregon and Washington and travel by automobile. While I know that I can open carry in Oregon, for the sake of not alarming people not used to firearms, I want to conceal carry for self protection and defense of my family.

Side note: I don't have family in Klamath County, and they didn't ask or care (my family is in Portland).

Only downside I can see is that you have to make an appointment and must renew in person. For that reason, I am renewing a few months early as I don't expect to be in Oregon just before my permit expires. I was able to book my appointment on the exact day I needed to for travel reasons (just passing through Klamath on the way to Washington), but they were booked out a month in advance.

I did not have my CA LTC when I first applied in Klamath, but I did have my NV LTC, and NV requires live fire qualifications. Klamath was happy to accept my NV LTC as proof of firearms training. When I originally obtained my Oregon license it was New Years Eve. They issued it in two business days, and I had it back in my mailbox the following week.

Last edited by Jason95357; 06-04-2017 at 12:21 PM..
Old 06-18-2017, 6:35 AM

Here is a link to an Oregon Gun Rights Organization There is an interactive map with information for each county.

OFF: Oregon Firearms Federation
http://www.oregonfirearms.org/chl-central

NRA Life Member: Benefactor
Calguns Supporter
CRPA Supporter
Second Amendment Foundation Life Member Defender Club

Last edited by BCA142; 06-19-2017 at 3:55 AM.. Reason: Updated text
Old 06-19-2017, 3:41 PM

I was hoping to get an CHL out of Klamath when I was travelling through Oregon later this week. I called them up and they only do out-of-state residents by appointment. The next available appointment was Aug. 2.

So, you really have to plan WAAAAY ahead.

Linn County will only do out of state people apparently if their reason to need to carry is specific to Linn County. So, that appears out for me. Is there any other jurisdiction that will issue to Californians?
Old 07-07-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoystory View Post
I was hoping to get an CHL out of Klamath when I was travelling through Oregon later this week. I called them up and they only do out-of-state residents by appointment. The next available appointment was Aug. 2.

So, you really have to plan WAAAAY ahead.

Linn County will only do out of state people apparently if their reason to need to carry is specific to Linn County. So, that appears out for me. Is there any other jurisdiction that will issue to Californians?
IIRC Lake County does. Malheur County only accepts applications from Idaho and Nevada residents as they are the only states that directly border them. Most Oregon counties seem to have gone to the county specific compelling reason from what I can tell.
Old 08-29-2017, 7:45 PM

I finally received my Oregon non resident permit yesterday from Klamath County. So if anyone wants to get theirs, it is an option, just not fast right now.
Old 08-29-2017, 9:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I finally received my Oregon non resident permit yesterday from Klamath County. So if anyone wants to get theirs, it is an option, just not fast right now.

Congrats! May I asked if you had to issue any type of good cause statement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2017, 9:06 PM
Veteran Member

^ disregard. I'm reading from the beginning and some of my questions are being answered in the early parts of the thread. Congrats again!!

Old 08-30-2017, 3:47 AM

Quote:
So how long did it take to receive it after your interview?

NRA Life Member: Benefactor
Calguns Supporter
CRPA Supporter
Second Amendment Foundation Life Member Defender Club
Old 08-30-2017, 2:17 PM

Just short of 4 months to receive. Appointment was on May 2nd. Had my CA appointment on June 5th and that was issued within a month. Crazy to me how that ended up playing out.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

I'm seeing this text now on their website, does this have any bearing on Non-Resident applications?

http://sheriff.klamathcounty.org/div...andgun-license

- Be a citizen of the United States of America. If you were not born a citizen of the United States, you must provide proof of citizenship, i.e., a U.S. Passport, Certification of Naturalization, or, if you were born on a military base, a Birth Certificate. If you are a legal resident alien, you must document continuous residency in Marion County for at least six months and declare in writing to the Immigration and Naturalization Service your intention to become a citizen and provide such proof of the written declaration to the Sheriff at the time of application for a concealed handgun license;
- Have your principal residence in Klamath County;
- Have your current address on your driver's license;
- Be at least 21 years of age;
Old 08-31-2017, 9:34 PM
Veteran Member

Nevermind, I also see this on the application:
"I currently live in a contiguous state and am applying as an out of state applicant; I have included a compelling
statement letter."

So my next question - when you setup an appointment, do they actually interview you? Or do you simply drop off your application + compelling statement letter and prints? Wondering what level of interaction to expect if/when I apply. Thank you!
Old 09-01-2017, 8:40 AM

No interview. Just drop off app and paperwork, they take your prints, take your picture and tell you that you will receive your permit in whatever time frame.

And yes, the county sheriff has the option to waive the residency requirement for someone of a contiguous state. It appears that there are only a couple doing that, at this time.

They were exceptionally friendly and want to get you in and out and your permit to you as quick as possible. Apparently they changed the system they use early in the year and are getting lots of requests, and only one individual working them. Getting a bit behind is all.

Literally, my father and I went in and applied at the same time and we were out of there in under 20 minutes. He received his in the mail a day ahead of me.
Old 09-01-2017, 4:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
No interview. Just drop off app and paperwork, they take your prints, take your picture and tell you that you will receive your permit in whatever time frame.

And yes, the county sheriff has the option to waive the residency requirement for someone of a contiguous state. It appears that there are only a couple doing that, at this time.

They were exceptionally friendly and want to get you in and out and your permit to you as quick as possible. Apparently they changed the system they use early in the year and are getting lots of requests, and only one individual working them. Getting a bit behind is all.

Literally, my father and I went in and applied at the same time and we were out of there in under 20 minutes. He received his in the mail a day ahead of me.
Thanks for the info! I'll have to plan a covert Oregon operation in the near future. LOL
Old 10-13-2017, 11:56 PM

Good info.
I have an Uncle that lives far northern CA, probably ~30 min from Klamath Falls. Also, some friends that live OR and WA.

I will have to make some time to apply for non-res in OR next time I go visit.
Old 10-16-2017, 4:11 PM
Veteran Member

I'm heading up to Oregon in November to handle this.

I read some interesting tidbits on concealed laws here:

http://www.oregonfirearms.org/2017-firearms-legislation

Do a control-F and search the page for "concealed" and you'll see all the laws that may affect concealed carry for OR residents and non-residents. Just thought I'd share...

Most notable:
HB 2617 Modifies requirements for and disqualifications from obtaining concealed handgun license. Increases portion of fee for issuance or renewal of license from $50 to $85.Increases length of time that concealed handgun license is valid.

HB 2127 Directs Department of Justice to create and maintain list of states that recognize Oregon concealed handgun licenses and require handgun competency to obtain concealed handgun license that is similar to competency required in Oregon.Authorizes Attorney General to enter into agreement with concealed handgun license issuing authority of other state if agreement is necessary for license reciprocity.Provides person who is not resident of Oregon, who is not otherwise prohibited from possessing firearm and who is licensed to carry concealed handgun in another state with protections provided to person with Oregon concealed handgun license, if other state is on department’s list of states

Last edited by deephouse; 10-16-2017 at 4:13 PM..
Old 10-17-2017, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deephouse View Post
I'm heading up to Oregon in November to handle this.

I read some interesting tidbits on concealed laws here:

http://www.oregonfirearms.org/2017-firearms-legislation

Do a control-F and search the page for "concealed" and you'll see all the laws that may affect concealed carry for OR residents and non-residents. Just thought I'd share...

Most notable:
HB 2617 Modifies requirements for and disqualifications from obtaining concealed handgun license. Increases portion of fee for issuance or renewal of license from $50 to $85.Increases length of time that concealed handgun license is valid.

HB 2127 Directs Department of Justice to create and maintain list of states that recognize Oregon concealed handgun licenses and require handgun competency to obtain concealed handgun license that is similar to competency required in Oregon.Authorizes Attorney General to enter into agreement with concealed handgun license issuing authority of other state if agreement is necessary for license reciprocity.Provides person who is not resident of Oregon, who is not otherwise prohibited from possessing firearm and who is licensed to carry concealed handgun in another state with protections provided to person with Oregon concealed handgun license, if other state is on department’s list of states
Thanks for sharing this. Bills similar to HB 2127 have been proposed in the past under governors that have said they would sign it, but they never went anywhere. I'm not sure the current governor would sign such a bill even if it passed this time. I wonder if such a bill will ever be proposed in California
Old 11-08-2017, 7:07 AM
Veteran Member

Didn’t realize they are booked out that far back. I️ called this week and got an appointment for Jan 2018.

Old 04-07-2018, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deephouse View Post
Didn’t realize they are booked out that far back. I️ called this week and got an appointment for Jan 2018.
They are still pretty backlogged. I called on 4/6 and the earliest appt was for 6/18.

I can definitely confirm what I've read earlier about the friendly people at KCSO: the person that I talked to on the phone was super friendly and incredibly helpful. She seemed to go out of her way to help me get ready for the appt. When I mentioned that KCSO has a great reputation in CA, she wanted to know more and was very happy to hear about the kind words.
Old 04-11-2018, 8:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk43 View Post
They are still pretty backlogged. I called on 4/6 and the earliest appt was for 6/18.

I can definitely confirm what I've read earlier about the friendly people at KCSO: the person that I talked to on the phone was super friendly and incredibly helpful. She seemed to go out of her way to help me get ready for the appt. When I mentioned that KCSO has a great reputation in CA, she wanted to know more and was very happy to hear about the kind words.
Called today and the earliest appointment was 7/2.
Old 04-11-2018, 8:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
It's not a waste of time. 1000's of us have done it. And yes she is cute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 04-12-2018, 4:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJ475 View Post
Called today and the earliest appointment was 7/2.
Heading to Medford in July to see family, gonna make a detour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
It's not a waste of time. 1000's of us have done it. And yes she is cute.
Detour, definitely
Old 04-14-2018, 7:50 AM

So here is my experience with the KCSO. I am an Oregon Tech student so I am living in Klamath Falls for most of the year. I scheduled an appointment for March 12th (I scheduled in January) a Monday and on the Friday before I realized my birth certificate was at my parents house in Chico, CA and though great, now I have to wait another two months to get it. My parents mailed it to me and it arrived on Monday afternoon after my appointment was scheduled, so I said what the heck, I'll just go in person and schedule another appointment. The ladies in the office were so nice and after hearing my situation they took all my paperwork and fingerprinted me then and there and less than 4 weeks later I received my CCW in the mail. Pretty simple process and I think as long as you give even a minor reason in your letter you should be able to get one. I just said that I lived in Oregon most of the year and served as an usher in my local church and wanted to be able to carry for security purposes.
Old 04-17-2018, 2:09 PM
Veteran Member

Just a FYI, as of today 4/17, the first available appt date is 7/11. They do morn or afternoon, 9-12 or 1-5.
Old 05-02-2018, 5:44 PM

Is Klamath County still issuing non-resident permits?