Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 01-25-2016, 9:22 PM

Default Oregon (Linn County)

Wanted to share my experience with getting CCW in Oregon. I have family in Linn county (near Albany). I first went to the website

https://www.linnsheriff.org/services...aled-handguns/

Downloaded the application and filled it in. Being a non-resident I crafted a simple letter stating that I had family in the county, had a California CCW and requested consideration. This letter was address to the Sheriff.

I made a color copy of my various licenses (CA, AZ etc) and made copies of my training certification from my CA CCW.

I arrived before about 10 minutes 11 (they close from 11-1), paperwork filled out and $65 in cash.

The lady behind the counter reviewed my packet, complimented me on its thoroughness, asked if I wanted copies, took my $65, my picture and livescan my prints before sending on my way with a receipt. I was out the door before the clock struck 11 (I don't recommend cutting it so close).

This was Tuesday. By the following Monday (thats right 6 days) my permit arrived in the mail with a flyer outlining Oregon CCW laws and general info.

Permit is good for 4 years from date of issue, no restrictions.

I couldn't commend Linn County and the staff there more, professional, to the point and efficient. They told me "three weeks" for the permit but to have had it issued in 6 days (actually 3 days as they dropped it in the mail Friday) is just stunning.

In short, fill your paperwork out, bring copies of your originals, follow directions on the website. I think it would be harder if you didn't already have a California CCW.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:06 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience. How nice to deal with professionals. I want to add Oregon to my CA, NV and UT permits. I have relatives there as well, and have heard they give CA holders preference. I'm not all that far from the border, so will probably try Klamath County.
Old 01-26-2016, 8:04 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestig14 View Post
Wanted to share my experience with getting CCW in Oregon.
I have family in Linn county (near Albany). I first went to the website

https://www.linnsheriff.org/services...aled-handguns/

Downloaded the application and filled it in. Being a non-resident I crafted a simple letter stating that I had family in the county, had a California CCW and requested consideration. This letter was address to the Sheriff.

I made a color copy of my various licenses (CA, AZ etc) and made copies of my training certification from my CA CCW.

I arrived before about 10 minutes 11 (they close from 11-1), paperwork filled out and $65 in cash.

The lady behind the counter reviewed my packet, complimented me on its thoroughness, asked if I wanted copies, took my $65, my picture and livescan my prints before sending on my way with a receipt. I was out the door before the clock struck 11 (I don't recommend cutting it so close).

This was Tuesday. By the following Monday (thats right 6 days) my permit arrived in the mail with a flyer outlining Oregon CCW laws and general info.

Permit is good for 4 years from date of issue, no restrictions.

I couldn't commend Linn County and the staff there more, professional, to the point and efficient. They told me "three weeks" for the permit but to have had it issued in 6 days (actually 3 days as they dropped it in the mail Friday) is just stunning.

In short, fill your paperwork out, bring copies of your originals, follow directions on the website.

I think it would be harder if you didn't already have a California CCW.
This is good info. I have family in Oregon as well, so their CCW would fill an empty hole in my west coast coverage.

As others have said, with evolving coverage and no California reciprocity, even seemingly redundant permits can be desirable.

Discreet, Legal Carry in 37 States...
Old 01-27-2016, 5:45 AM

Ronanld, You might try Lake County too. It took just a few minutes
and I was on my way,
Barney
Old 01-27-2016, 3:58 PM

Odd, so what about the mental health letter in Linn County?

If I live out of state, can I get a license?

The statues allow the sheriff to waive the residency requirement for residents of a bordering state (Washington, Idaho, Nevada, or California). You must have a compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need. This need must be put in a letter addressed to the Sheriff’s Office and you must bring it at the time of application. You also need a letter from your state’s Mental Health Division showing that your name does not appear in their database. The only exception is for Washington residents as their database is available to our office.
Old 01-27-2016, 7:06 PM

I speculate thats why it would be harder without having first a CA CCW. They were very interested in that over most of the rest of the documentation. But that is speculation on my part. They didn't ask, I didn't offer or remind them of that provision.
Old 06-21-2016, 8:49 AM
Spent $299 for this text!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Sorry for bringing up the zombie thread, but this seems to be the most recent OR thread. What will the renewal process be? In other words, can you do it by mail, or will you have to make an appearance in person? I'm interested in getting my OR permit as well, but I would be making a trip to Oregon specifically for that purpose, I don't really have many other reasons to go to OR (which actually might be a cause for denial I suppose). I already have CA and UT, and shortly I'll have AZ. Like many others here, I'd like to fill in the the coverage gap that OR leaves, even with as infrequently as I visit there. Better to have it and not need it...

Old 06-28-2016, 4:35 PM

Best to call the IA that issued (or will) yours to find out. Have not yet renewed, but my understanding is that it must be in person. I believe you maintain current contact info they will contact you 45 days out to remind you, but I wouldn't depend on that. Over 4 years laws and requirements sometimes change.
Old 06-28-2016, 6:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by selong View Post
Odd, so what about the mental health letter in Linn County?

If I live out of state, can I get a license?

The statues allow the sheriff to waive the residency requirement for residents of a bordering state (Washington, Idaho, Nevada, or California). You must have a compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need. This need must be put in a letter addressed to the Sheriff’s Office and you must bring it at the time of application. You also need a letter from your state’s Mental Health Division showing that your name does not appear in their database. The only exception is for Washington residents as their database is available to our office.
Are you certain about the letter from the state's Mental Health Division? Is it a new requirement? Got my OR CCW almost 3 years ago, and I don't recall such a requirement.

DDR AK furniture and Norinco M14 parts kit: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1756292
Old 07-08-2016, 8:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Lake CO just as easy.
Old 08-26-2016, 5:45 AM

Thank you thestag14 for the info and link. I had the same experience yesterday with my application. She said it should arrive within 2 weeks.
Old 09-15-2016, 7:42 AM
Veteran Member

Thumbs up Linn County, fast and efficient...

I just returned from a short trip to the Pacific Northwest.

I followed thestig14's advice and drove over to the Linn County's Sheriff's office while in Oregon.

The two ladies working in the sheriff's office were super friendly and efficient.

I mentioned that they were developing quite a positive reputation amongst Californians.

The lady who was working with me turned and High Fived the lady in back of her, turned back to me and said, "we are doing our best".

As my Oregon permit was at the bottom of my pile of mail when I returned, it must have come about a week after I applied.

Old 09-16-2016, 6:00 PM

Stop it y'all, you are making the stig weepy...

Glad it all worked out, good folks there
Old 09-25-2016, 12:26 PM

Default Oregon (Linn County)

Any experiences with Marion county? I checked online: no non-resident permits issued.

Went to Linn county: in and out in less than 15 minutes. A very pleasant experience.

Now waiting.

Found it in my PO Box 16 days later. I visit my PO Box once or twice a week, so It was probably sitting there for a few days.

Amazing service!

Discovered that while visiting in Bremerton, WA, I should have applied for my WA CCW. The experience is said to be similarly quick and pleasant in Kitsop county WA.

Last edited by djwalker; 10-30-2016 at 8:56 AM..
Old 10-17-2016, 7:51 AM
Veteran Member

Thumbs up Went to Linn county: in and out in less than 15 minutes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwalker View Post
Any experiences with Marion county? I checked online: no non-resident permits issued.

Went to Linn county: in and out in less than 15 minutes.

A very pleasant experience.

Now waiting.

Another satisfied customer.

By now you should have your permit.

How long did it actually take?

Old 10-30-2016, 8:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockN'Roll View Post
Another satisfied customer.

By now you should have your permit.

How long did it actually take?

Found in my PO Box 16 days later.
Old 11-05-2016, 2:25 PM

Hey everyone. I just got my Oregon permit. Applied through Linn county October 24th. Received November 5th. Total time: 12 days. Super easy.
Old 12-01-2016, 5:44 AM

Linn County still issuing to CA residents? Their website requires you to be a Linn County resident for 6 months.
Old 12-08-2016, 9:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson_wwsc View Post
Linn County still issuing to CA residents? Their website requires you to be a Linn County resident for 6 months.
Be a U.S. citizen. You may apply if you are not a U.S. citizen provided that you have lived in Linn County for at least six months and have written proof that you have declared your intent to become a citizen with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service.

What this means is they seem to issue to non citizens if they've been in the county for 6 months. Non OR residents still seem to be good to go.
Old 01-02-2017, 4:34 PM

Renewals are a snap in Linn County. I was in Oregon visiting my family a couple counties south on the 5 and headed up to submit my paperwork.

It was as simple as taking my application, paying the 50 bucks, verifying my ID, and taking a new photo, I was in and out in less than 5 minutes.

The staff is super friendly and happy to provide the service. The lady that helped me said "see you in another 4 years"

NCP
Old 01-23-2017, 2:17 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Great info guys.
Old 01-30-2017, 5:26 AM

Wasnt there a sheriff on here from oregon,clark county iirc,from clark county?
Old 01-30-2017, 5:54 AM

No Clark County in Oregon. Just across the Columbia is Vancouver, in Clark Co.
Old 01-30-2017, 7:32 PM

Josephine county maybe?
Old 03-21-2017, 9:24 AM

So...I just called the Linn County Civil divisions office. Appearantly, they have changed thier policy a bit on non-resident chl...you have to have "compeling business" in the county. I was told you have to have family, property, or some other specific business in the area. Any ideas on other counties?
Old 03-23-2017, 3:23 PM

I applied 3/10 at Linn county courthouse and received my CHL 3/20 in the mail. They waive the mental health letter if you have a CA CCL. Klamath also issues to non residents. Contiguous states only. Linn is walk in, Klamath requires appointment and pre approval.
Old 03-23-2017, 4:18 PM

From their website
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR OUT OF STATE APPLICANTS

The Linn County Sheriff has changed his policy on issuing concealed handgun licenses to non-residents. You must possess a CHL from your home state. Due to differing requirements, an out-of-state concealed handgun license may not satisfy the competency requirements (if they do not, please refer to the “Proof of Competency” section at the top of the page). In addition, your reason for wanting a CHL must have ties that are specific to Linn County.
Old 03-23-2017, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmedic89 View Post
From their website
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR OUT OF STATE APPLICANTS

The Linn County Sheriff has changed his policy on issuing concealed handgun licenses to non-residents. You must possess a CHL from your home state. Due to differing requirements, an out-of-state concealed handgun license may not satisfy the competency requirements (if they do not, please refer to the “Proof of Competency” section at the top of the page). In addition, your reason for wanting a CHL must have ties that are specific to Linn County.
That sticks. Anyone know of an oregon county that doesn't require specific business within their county to issue? I don't have any real reason to visit oregon, but I'm vacationing there this summer and would like to be able to carry concealed while I'm there. I do have a CA CCW.

Ideally, a county that I only have to drive to one time... I know I'm getting picky now

Old 03-23-2017, 5:20 PM

Klamath, they requires good cause statement but it is not county specific.
Old 03-23-2017, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmedic89 View Post
Klamath, they requires good cause statement but it is not county specific.
I'll check it out, thank you!

Old 03-23-2017, 5:27 PM

Sorry for the poor grammar. Klamath, they require a good cause statement but it is not county specific. E-mail/snail mail it to the sheriff and they will call you for an appointment if he approves it. As far as I can tell, Klamath is it.
Old 03-23-2017, 6:43 PM

Most of the counties in Eastern Oregon are quite rural and probably pretty lax, but I only have experience getting a resident permit.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:28 AM

Default Oregon (Yamhill)

I have my CCW in California and Yahill County told me that would unless I had a business transporting payroll or was a resident.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:12 PM

I will second getting an Oregon LTC from Klamath. I am renewing mine there this month. My letter to the sheriff states I have family in Oregon and Washington and travel by automobile. While I know that I can open carry in Oregon, for the sake of not alarming people not used to firearms, I want to conceal carry.

Only downside I can see is that you have to make an appointment and must renew in person. For that reason, I am renewing a few months early as I don't expect to be in Oregon just before my permit expires. I was able to book my appointment on the exact day I needed to for travel reasons (just passing through Klamath on the way to Washington), but they were booked out a month in advance.

I did not have my CA LTC when I first applied in Klamath, but I did have my NV LTC, and NV requires live fire qualifications, and they were happy to accept that.
Old 06-18-2017, 6:38 AM

Here is a link to an Oregon Gun Rights Organization. There is an interactive map with information for each county.

OFF: Oregon Firearms Federation
http://www.oregonfirearms.org/chl-central

NRA Life Member: Benefactor
Calguns Supporter
CRPA Supporter
Second Amendment Foundation Life Member Defender Club

Last edited by BCA142; 06-19-2017 at 3:54 AM.. Reason: Updated text
Old 08-26-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvigue View Post
Most of the counties in Eastern Oregon are quite rural and probably pretty lax
Lax is probably not the best choice of words as they certainly will be as thorough in their background checks/application processing as the more restrictive counties in the I-5 corridor. As far as I can tell even the ones that will accept applications from nonresidents (many won't) require a compelling county specific reason with the possible exception of Lake County (which appears to not require one) and Klamath County (which requires a more general compelling reason not necessarily specific to Klamath County).
Old 02-23-2019, 12:03 PM
Adventure Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

HMMM?

I am searching counties near where my moms lives (Douglas County)