Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 10-04-2018, 12:15 PM

Default Idaho Enhanced Non-Resident

So to get an ID permit, you need to be present in ID to apply, present in ID to pickup and same to renew. It is a 5 year permit length.

The "enhanced" permit requires training of 8 hours and 98 rounds of live fire. The "enhanced" version is the only one really worth getting for a non-resident as it is the one most accepted outside of Idaho. The non-resident is accepted in 34 states.

I took my training this past Saturday and applied on Monday. Ada County (Boise) and Canyon County (Meridian/Nampa) both handle applications via their Driver's License offices. Which means Mon-Fri only and no appointments accepted. Luckily, the CCW line is separate from the regular drivers license queue in both counties, so the wait time can be short.

FYI, the motor vehicle and drivers license offices are separate but in Canyon County are the different parts of the same building. In Ada they are different locations completely. Make sure of where you are going.

Also, check with the county you are applying in to make sure that your instructor is an approved one for that county. We had a substitute instructor that was not on the approved list where I first applied even though the owner of the company was on the list. I did ask the company prior to my class which county to apply in. I had waited in line for the office to open in one county, found out once I was at the counter that I could not apply there. Had to drive 20 miles to the other county and get in line that had already been stacking up. 45 minute wait. Then they had me fill out the application, made copies of my drivers license and CA permit, took electronic prints and took my money ($32).

Once approved after background check (ID is shall issue), I have to go back and get a temp permit. They take a photo and I pay the final bill ($22). They then mail the actual permit. I doubt the temp permit will be accepted outside the state but I do not know for sure.

Classroom requirements include 4 hours from an Idaho licensed attorney. He covered timeline of NFA, GSA, GFSZ, AW ban, etc. and some very basic legal concepts. Not real useful to anyone.

Then after lunch we had a bit of live fire. 7 yards, dump 98 total rounds from whatever handguns you bring (one guy shot 50 from a revolver and 50 from a Glock). No accuracy, movement, time, threat/no threat work. It was simply can you put 98 rounds downrange in the general direction of the standard silhouette while being relatively safe in handling your firearm at the line.

After the live fire, we went back to the classroom for a little over 3 hours (live fire is part of 4 hours of non-attorney) and sat through some basic concepts of when you can shoot, prohibited locations, campus carry in ID, etc.

Would I recommend it? Only if it gets you states that AZ/UT/FL can't get you, which is what applied to me. Its a lot of travel since you need to be there in person at least twice each time.
Old 10-04-2018, 2:46 PM

Location: Up in the hills, above the beach in the foggy redwoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadside View Post
So to get an ID permit, you need to be present in ID to apply, present in ID to pickup and same to renew. It is a 5 year permit length.

The "enhanced" permit requires training of 8 hours and 98 rounds of live fire. The "enhanced" version is the only one really worth getting for a non-resident as it is the one most accepted outside of Idaho. The non-resident is accepted in 34 states.

I took my training this past Saturday and applied on Monday. Ada County (Boise) and Canyon County (Meridian/Nampa) both handle applications via their Driver's License offices. Which means Mon-Fri only and no appointments accepted. Luckily, the CCW line is separate from the regular drivers license queue in both counties, so the wait time can be short.

FYI, the motor vehicle and drivers license offices are separate but in Canyon County are the different parts of the same building. In Ada they are different locations completely. Make sure of where you are going.

Also, check with the county you are applying in to make sure that your instructor is an approved one for that county. We had a substitute instructor that was not on the approved list where I first applied even though the owner of the company was on the list. I did ask the company prior to my class which county to apply in. I had waited in line for the office to open in one county, found out once I was at the counter that I could not apply there. Had to drive 20 miles to the other county and get in line that had already been stacking up. 45 minute wait. Then they had me fill out the application, made copies of my drivers license and CA permit, took electronic prints and took my money ($32).

Once approved after background check (ID is shall issue), I have to go back and get a temp permit. They take a photo and I pay the final bill ($22). They then mail the actual permit. I doubt the temp permit will be accepted outside the state but I do not know for sure.

Classroom requirements include 4 hours from an Idaho licensed attorney. He covered timeline of NFA, GSA, GFSZ, AW ban, etc. and some very basic legal concepts. Not real useful to anyone.

Then after lunch we had a bit of live fire. 7 yards, dump 98 total rounds from whatever handguns you bring (one guy shot 50 from a revolver and 50 from a Glock). No accuracy, movement, time, threat/no threat work. It was simply can you put 98 rounds downrange in the general direction of the standard silhouette while being relatively safe in handling your firearm at the line.

After the live fire, we went back to the classroom for a little over 3 hours (live fire is part of 4 hours of non-attorney) and sat through some basic concepts of when you can shoot, prohibited locations, campus carry in ID, etc.

Would I recommend it? Only if it gets you states that AZ/UT/FL can't get you, which is what applied to me. Its a lot of travel since you need to be there in person at least twice each time.
broadside - Out of curiosity, what states were gained by your using the Idaho Enhanced Non-Resident License?

In using the interactive map linked below showing which states honor other states resident and non-resident licenses -

https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_c...city_maps.html

Besides the Arizona Non-Resident, Utah Non-Resident, and Florida Non-Resident licenses - You gained Minnesota, and New Hampshire CCW privileges. Is that correct?

I am on day 14 of the waiting game for my Oregon Non-Resident license, and may apply/ send in the paperwork which is on my desk for an Arizona Non-Resident License after the Oregon Non-Resident CHL arrives. Those 2 non-resident licenses in addition to my California CCW will cover most everywhere I plan to travel in the future.
Old 10-04-2018, 3:12 PM

Minnesota is the one I wanted since my parents live on the border so we are there often and I drive through it to get to their property.

That and the fact that I can carry one extra permit instead of 3 and not have to figure out which permits to carry around based on my travel plans. BTW, I have CA, UT and AZ already.

One thing I forgot to include in my original is that non-residents must have a valid permit in the state of residence
Old 10-16-2018, 3:47 PM

In case anyone cares, the Canyon County Sheriff approved me in 12 days. Applied on the 1st, letter dated the 12th. Better than AZ or UT!
Old 10-16-2018, 3:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Seems your covered for ID with non res. OR, UT, & AZ

Is this wrong ?
Old 10-16-2018, 4:12 PM

OR does not accept non-res from anywhere but will issue non-res themselves.

ID is getting me the MN coverage I need for when I visit family, without having to go to MN to get and renew a permit. ID is easier to get to for me on a more regular basis.
Old 10-17-2018, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano3467 View Post
Seems your covered for ID with non res. OR, UT, & AZ

Is this wrong ?
Idaho honors all other state permits.
Old 10-19-2018, 9:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Smile

Quote:

Canyon county is normally a lot less busy than Ada county. Drive from the Boise airport to Caldwell is arguably faster than waiting in Boise. Make a left turn after entering the Caldwell off ice and you're in the DL and CWL territory. Turns out the line for CWL is the same line for sexual predator registration...so if you've got a few folks ahead of you to register as SP's, you may wait a bit.

Once you get to the window, Deputy Debbie will get you out in 5 minutes or so.

It's accepted just the same as a temporary drivers license

Our legal session from Alex Kincaid was more directed at when you can and cannot shoot, and just as important, what do you do after you've shot the actor.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran
Old 10-19-2018, 9:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post
Canyon county is normally a lot less busy than Ada county. Drive from the Boise airport to Caldwell is arguably faster than waiting in Boise. Make a left turn after entering the Caldwell off ice and you're in the DL and CWL territory. Turns out the line for CWL is the same line for sexual predator registration...so if you've got a few folks ahead of you to register as SP's, you may wait a bit.

Once you get to the window, Deputy Debbie will get you out in 5 minutes or so.

This was my finding as well. The company I went through told me Ada was where I should apply due to where they are "approved" instructors. I was there before opening and got in as the 8th person through the door and was basically zero wait for the CCW clerk.

Found out that the substitute instructor we had that day was not on Ada's approved list, so I had to drive to Canyon that morning. Ended up waiting about an hour at Canyon because I think there was an SP there, he got called up and took forever seemed like. I was out in 10 minutes once called.

I am trying to find some time to go back and finish the process. Might drive again just because.
Old 10-19-2018, 3:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
This was my finding as well. The company I went through told me Ada was where I should apply due to where they are "approved" instructors. I was there before opening and got in as the 8th person through the door and was basically zero wait for the CCW clerk.

Found out that the substitute instructor we had that day was not on Ada's approved list, so I had to drive to Canyon that morning. Ended up waiting about an hour at Canyon because I think there was an SP there, he got called up and took forever seemed like. I was out in 10 minutes once called.

I am trying to find some time to go back and finish the process. Might drive again just because.
Our instructor lives in Middleton and taught the course through our church. The church is in Meridian (Ada county), and the instructor is NRA certified for about a dozen teaching tasks. I'm in Canyon county, but no issues otherwise.

We were blessed, lucky, or both that Alex Kincaid did the 4-hour legal class.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

Old 10-20-2018, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Our instructor lives in Middleton and taught the course through our church. The church is in Meridian (Ada county), and the instructor is NRA certified for about a dozen teaching tasks. I'm in Canyon county, but no issues otherwise.

We were blessed, lucky, or both that Alex Kincaid did the 4-hour legal class.

That's cool!

Semper Fi!

Old 10-20-2018, 3:10 PM

ID Enhanced not worth it for me, too much hassle to get (and only gains me one state that I don't/won't visit).

My NV and UT will suffice.

But I'm glad you're able to get it and make it work for you.

Semper Fi!

Last edited by thebronze; 10-20-2018 at 3:12 PM..
Old 10-22-2018, 7:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Check weather if you're driving next month...November is normally a high rainfall month. If temps get below freezing, you've got snow to contend with.

Old 10-22-2018, 9:16 AM

Quote:
Check weather if you're driving next month...November is normally a high rainfall month. If temps get below freezing, you've got snow to contend with.
Leaving this week, but thanks for the info