Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 03-06-2018, 4:43 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble servant View Post
Very sorry for your loss. God bless and I hope you and yours find peace in this difficult time.
Agreed. May your strength carry you until his memory becomes a source of smiles instead of one of heartache.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtectThe2nd View Post
Hi this is ProtectThe2nd’s wife.

ProtectThe2nd passed away in January.
So sorry to hear about your loss.

NRA Benefactor Member
CRPA Life Member
2AF Defender
USPSA Life Member
GOC Member
NASAR Member
Old 03-07-2018, 6:26 AM

Don’t care. USI is one of the most unfriendly places to shoot anywhere
Old 03-07-2018, 7:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight Now View Post
Fantastic post; thanks for adding to the discussion.

Glad to see your enthusiasm for another CA range closing. Cause you know... so many are being open every year.

The opposite belief, correlation proves causation (typically held by anti-2nd amendment individuals) is a logical fallacy by which two events that occur together are claimed to have a cause-and-effect relationship.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man WC View Post
Which one?

A)It's been a goat rodeo since day one.
-Kevin agree's in his post the club leadership can't play nice.
You agreed with him being "spot on".
Every club had their own vision of what USI should be instead of getting a basic range built to code and get the damn public range doors open to stop the hemorrhaging cash.

B)The leadership has peed down their legs and wasted so much with zero return.
-Are you happy about only being able to shot rifle and pistol in 22LR
for all the money that's been wasted?
At least there was bonus demo of the rifle/pistol range and shack.

C)The shotgunners are laughing there azz off. And the punch line is....they've been shooting all these years while the range has been closed.
-You can't disagree here.
-g
You a member or just a whiner?
Old 03-12-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Well then you don't shoot much at different ranges. It's a shooting range with rules to be safe. Not a social hour for want-to-be
Old 03-12-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtectThe2nd View Post
Hi this is ProtectThe2nd’s wife.

ProtectThe2nd passed away in January.
Very sorry for your loss.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I never had an unpleasant experience at USI. I shot there several times a year from 1999 until it closed. I do care, and if the range gets its act together and opens, I would love to join one of the clubs and would enjoy shooting at the reopened range every chance I get.

Old 03-12-2018, 1:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessdigs View Post
I never had an unpleasant experience at USI. I shot there several times a year from 1999 until it closed. I do care, and if the range gets its act together and opens, I would love to join one of the clubs and would enjoy shooting at the reopened range every chance I get.

+1,000,000!!!

I would renew my membership at Diablo and hope to do a competition or two just for fun.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 03-12-2018, 1:51 PM

^^I'm with you^^

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli"
Old 03-12-2018, 4:50 PM

I for one, have had a few bad experiences at USI, but that is old business, it
has been closed since 16 Sept 2015, it will be 3 years this coming Sept. I tried Richmond in Oct 2016, in my not so humble opinion: jerkoffs. Nothing like it was some years past, lots of attitude. Walked in, paid my $ 17.00 and went 5 ft across the counter and asked for a target, I was asked " have you paid Yet? I just paid right over there, " I wouldnt know that " from the same guy I had just given my $$ to. Sharp as a rock he was. other issues when I couldn't find a 4X6 block for holding up my XDE 40 for shooting. I so bothered the RSO asking if he knew where I could find one, went back to the rifle range and found one. Maybe alot of a- holes had been there lately, it was my first visit in over 10 yrs. So where next, it won't be at USI, and last July my Brentwood membership expired and no renewal again. Hoping for something better soon.

Psalm 1
Old 03-12-2018, 5:05 PM

Only bad experiences I had there were bullets raining on the AP Range from the public range. Hard hats should have been provided.
Old 03-12-2018, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessdigs View Post

Was going every Saturday first thing in the morning for a good stretch. Joined DAP and did some action pistol on other side of the bern. Hell, USI is what got me into reloading I was shooting so much.

Sunday's during football season was great, place was dead! Being a member, I often left with more in brass than what it cost me to shoot. I got yelled at once for touching the bench during a target change, never did that again.

Talked rifles with some of the older RSO's, me being young it was great.

My shooting has fallen off the map since it closed. I'm nearly in the middle of USI, Livermore and the now gone Chabot. Livermore sucks since you can't shoot pistol and rifle without paying again. I'll go to Richmond but it's been well over a year.

I paid for a 3 year USI membership too about 6 months before the closure. I'm hoping things get resolved soon and the action pistol doesn't get canned too.
Old 03-12-2018, 8:34 PM
Hobnobbin' with a Goblin
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryphoto View Post
You a member or just a whiner?
I'm a member in only one club now, but several for many years. You?
Most likey before you were a funny feeling in your father's loins.

That all changes come July and I sever all ties to USI Never again!
-g
Old 03-25-2018, 6:21 PM
Veteran Member

I was a Diablo member, Benchrest Match director and RSO (the nice one) for six years.

I gave up on USI early, after hearing about the plan to spend $800K+ on a synthetic bullet-trap to be installed on the public-range’s 200’ hillside. WTF?

This was about the same time that our club’s president recommended we also join the other clubs so we could vote in leadership that matches the desires of Diablo. Yeah, lots not work together, let’s just stuff the ballot boxes to get “our” way.

There were a few good guys running the clubs for a time but in 2015 they were overridden by the pant-wetters. They brought this all on themselves; no one with any authority asked or told them to take corrective measures! Someone showed Simple Steve a coffee can of bullets and the snowball was kicked down the hill. Boom, closed within days.

They could have installed baffles/tubes on every firing station for less than $20K (tops) in a weekend and then look into long-term solutions.
But when you give a bunch of soft-headed, 60/70-something, lifetime middle managers a simple project - infighting and turf control tend to follow.

Still sad to see it go. The remaining ranges suck by comparison.

Fortunately, gun stuff returns about 90% of its purchase costs on resale so I sold everything and am happily enjoying a new hobby.

Good Luck, everyone.

Last edited by killshot44; 03-25-2018 at 6:33 PM..
Old 03-26-2018, 12:34 PM

Just curious - at point does USI burn through their cash reserves to the point where they won’t actually be able to afford new construction? I would have thought that has come and gone but maybe I am wrong?
Old 03-26-2018, 12:39 PM
Calguns Addict

After almost 3 years of nothing. I have lost all hope for USI.

It's a case study on how we are our own worst enemy.
Old 03-27-2018, 9:24 PM

This range is literally over the hill in my backyard. I used to wake up to gunfire every Saturday morning . It was great. Ever since it closed down I haven’t been able to shoot that much . Livermore is nice but bit of a drive , long wait and a time limit. Wish it was still around. I’m not quite sure on what the politics are about it being besides BS bullet frags .
Old 03-28-2018, 8:59 PM

in my opinion They have a bunch of idiots running things over there. Men running around playing construction managers who don't know a hole in their head from a hole in the ground. Losing $300,000 thousand a year because they have a little money to spend and they act like big shots.
If they keep it up they'll have no contractors that will want to do the job. They should swallow their small pride and take the advice of the contracts because just maybe some of them have a little experience in slinging dirt, tying iron and pouring concrete.

The first step a few years ago should have been spent on a project manager. That would of been money saved.

Let's pray for Obama Psalm 109:8

Last edited by jtv3062; 03-28-2018 at 9:03 PM..
Old 03-29-2018, 12:46 AM

Sadly they did have a good project manager but they ran him off for not telling them what they wanted. Same as the original engineer. Both told them what they wanted was unreasonable for the budget they have and so both where replaced. Funny or should I say Sad thing is, if the shotgun conspiracy group had their way, the public range would have been rebuilt and open now. Instead we still don't have plans ready to build and no time line to get it done and no straight answers from those in charge. They threw a fit wanting it their way, even staged a take over of another club. I wish they where as good at actually running things as the where at politics.

Last edited by 50BMGBOB; 03-29-2018 at 12:50 AM..
Old 03-29-2018, 12:19 PM

Does anyone know the current status? Are we still in "planning / permitting" mode 3 years later?
Old 03-29-2018, 1:11 PM

We still are working on the plans. They keep adding and changing things. They still are way over budget and haven't gotten to a set of plans that they can draw permits for. Again, sadly, the original engineer and project manager had worked out plans that where in budget and ready to pull permits when they where voted out and USI started all over.
Old 04-06-2018, 1:03 PM

Default Startin Over

This is from the USI Range Update page:
Quote:
“When will the rifle and pistol ranges open?”
After almost three years of multiple plans, review, and design changes, bids received by several contractors far exceeded the overall budget that was anticipated by the Board of Directors. The original funding goal of approx. $1.8 – $2.0 Million expanded to $5 – 7 Million.
The “design” committee comprised of U.S.I directors are now reviewing possible changes to be within available funds. In essence, we’re back to early stages with redesign, resubmitting plans for review with the county, and eventual negotiation with a contractor.
Looks like they are back to the "We can do it ourselves" mode. Probably end up with what they had originally with the addition of some overhangs/eybrows to limit "Blue Sky" exposure. Only almost 3 years later.
Old 04-06-2018, 2:18 PM

Unbelievable. Total joke. 3 years..
Old 04-06-2018, 2:51 PM

They will never reopen the current anti gun attitude with cities and counties will
ensure NO permits will be given so it does not matter if rebuilding is $1 or a million no work will be done.
Old 04-06-2018, 4:09 PM

I guess it may be worthwhile to go check out the board meeting on Monday.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:11 PM

I'm holding out in hoping it'll reopen soon enough, only because Livermore sucks so bad.

Old 04-07-2018, 1:43 PM

5-7 million? That's nuts!!! Even 1.8 - 2 million sounds really high.

Oh well, looks like I'll have to wait until I move out of the PRK to enjoy my firearms again. And for those that say, "Just vote them out," I gave up on that a few years ago.
Old 04-07-2018, 1:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtv3062 View Post
I'm holding out in hoping it'll reopen soon enough, only because Livermore sucks so bad.
Why does Livermore suck?

PM me for information on low-priced Front Sight Memberships!
Old 04-07-2018, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce381 View Post
They will never reopen the current anti gun attitude with cities and counties will
ensure NO permits will be given so it does not matter if rebuilding is $1 or a million no work will be done.
I don’t know. There is limited shooting still going on there. If they take the necessary precautions and get their ***** together I don’t see why they wouldn’t get permits.

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli"
Old 04-07-2018, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killshot44 View Post
There were a few good guys running the clubs for a time but in 2015 they were overridden by the pant-wetters. They brought this all on themselves; no one with any authority asked or told them to take corrective measures! Someone showed Simple Steve a coffee can of bullets and the snowball was kicked down the hill. Boom, closed within days.

They could have installed baffles/tubes on every firing station for less than $20K (tops) in a weekend and then look into long-term solutions.
But when you give a bunch of soft-headed, 60/70-something, lifetime middle managers a simple project - infighting and turf control tend to follow.
This is it not to be a ***** but a bunch of Dudley do-right simpleton RINOs have tanked USI. The same jack wagons that loved the first AW ban , the ones who turned a deaf when the houndsmen needed our support, selfish never been told no leave it to beaver baby boomers, swamp rats all of them.
Old 04-08-2018, 8:35 AM

I dont understand why this site, cant be demoed and rebuilt for under $1.5mil? Especially since its only the pistol and rifle side.

Livermore, which I dont like, has a simple design I think would work for USI. It would be a simple and fast build.
Old 04-08-2018, 8:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepped and ready View Post
I dont understand why this site, cant be demoed and rebuilt for under $1.5mil? Especially since its only the pistol and rifle side.

Livermore, which I dont like, has a simple design I think would work for USI. It would be a simple and fast build.
It's because of the idiots who are running the improvements. If I remember right from what I've been told the "special" materials that is requested by the one who is charge is over $1 million dollars. Also all of the work could have been done well with in $1.5.

Old 04-08-2018, 9:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAShooter View Post
Why does Livermore suck?
Charging full price for 3 adults to shoot on 1 bench.

Over crowded and worse than mManteca and San Leandro.

The yelling of commands over the drive thru inter com.

I'm sure there is more that I can't remember

So now it's Sacramento Valley Shooting Center even though it's 1.5 drive.

Old 04-08-2018, 9:46 AM

Quote:
Charging full price for 3 adults to shoot on 1 bench.

Over crowded and worse than mManteca and San Leandro.

The yelling of commands over the drive thru inter com.

I'm sure there is more that I can't remember

So now it's Sacramento Valley Shooting Center even though it's 1.5 drive.
No skin in this dog fight, but just thought (as I've shot there)...

As a business, why would they not charge full price for 3 adults to shoot on one bench? They have a per person fee structure, not per bench. I've been behind a group of 3 guys on a busy day and saw them request (and get) one bench per shooter...I'm glad they don't do the bowling alley model of charging for the lane/bench AND then each shooter...like some ranges do.

Overcrowded. Yep. Maybe if some ranges hadn't closed (e.g. Chabot) and other ranges actually addressed their closure (e.g. USI), maybe Livermore would be less crowded. Not quite sure where people are supposed to go and enjoy this sport with limited choices. Simple supply and demand. Not Livermore's fault.

Loud intercom. Yelling. Yup, couldn't agree more. Still amazes me with the volume and yelling people still can't follow simple rules and approach benches during cease fire.
Old 04-08-2018, 9:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkphibr View Post

As a business, why would they not charge full price for 3 adults to shoot on one bench? They have a per person fee structure, not per bench. I've been behind a group of 3 guys on a busy day and saw them request (and get) one bench per shooter...I'm glad they don't do the bowling alley model of charging for the lane/bench AND then each shooter...like some ranges do.

Overcrowded. Yep. Maybe if some ranges hadn't closed (e.g. Chabot) and other ranges actually addressed their closure (e.g. USI), maybe Livermore would be less crowded. Not quite sure where people are supposed to go and enjoy this sport with limited choices. Simple supply and demand. Not Livermore's fault.

Loud intercom. Yelling. Yup, couldn't agree more. Still amazes me with the volume and yelling people still can't follow simple rules and approach benches during cease fire.

100% agree with above. Too bad USI is closed as that is the closest range for us. I used to live close to Livermore and that was/is my favorite range.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 04-08-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
It's because of the idiots who are running the improvements. If I remember right from what I've been told the "special" materials that is requested by the one who is charge is over $1 million dollars. Also all of the work could have been done well with in $1.5.
Your first sentence seems to ring throughout this site.

What "special" material could possibly be needed? A competent soils engineer can design an efficient bullet trap. Hell I could do it. After the bullet trap then you have the bullet collector. I dont see any other major issues then that. The rest is common sense.

I think, I, at one time offered to help with this build, but never heard from anyone.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:17 AM

Prepped and Ready,

The issue that started this was the possibility of bullets leaving the property. So much of the design and materials is in baffles to eliminate blue sky as well as to keep the bullets in the traps.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinnerk View Post
Prepped and Ready,

The issue that started this was the possibility of bullets leaving the property. So much of the design and materials is in baffles to eliminate blue sky as well as to keep the bullets in the traps.
I get that part and that is one of the easiest issues to overcome. Its just a matter of design.

The line of sight to the target should be clear and there should not be any sky in sight when shooting from the bench or standing. Its just a matter of elevations and coverage. Very simple to achieve.

A sample shooting post can be built at minimal cost as an example for approval.

Thats just my take on things.
Old 04-08-2018, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkphibr View Post

The last time I shot there was before Concord closed up the rifle/pistol range and so before Chobot closed and it was over crowded that day.

My complaint about the intercom isn't about them yelling at people for violation of the rules either the guy is speaking to loud into the mic or is to close to it and i don't need to hear about what's going on in the range house.

Every other outdoor gun range I've been to as an individual or came as a group has been 1 bench per person. So I'm not going to pay full price to share a bench. I'm just glad they even have gave us a bench because it's per shooter and not bench.

Before the redo at Livermore they did have way more shooting benches so yeah it is their fault. Again the last time I shot there was before the other range closures.

Last edited by jtv3062; 04-08-2018 at 9:46 PM..