Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Young Calgunners
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Young Calgunners This forum is for our younger members, the sons and daughters of Calgunners, younger guests and their parents.

Old 02-20-2019, 7:58 PM

Default Parents, I'm surprised how quiet this sub forum is

I know a bunch of us have kids, and for many of us shooting is a bonding thing. I'm actually surprised how quiet it is here considering how many of us there are. All things considered, we are kind of responsible for the next generation of shooters, and keeping the sport alive. It's a hard enough battle as it is. Do all you other parents find it harder and harder to shoot with your kids? Any why aren't you guys posting here more often?
Old 02-20-2019, 8:25 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

My son has been busy with school, Boy Scouts, and Civil Air Patrol. I try to get him shooting 4x a month but it has been tough since the holidays. He also lost a few weekends being sick.

I'm not worried about him. He loves guns.

Spent a few hours shooting 2 weeks ago. Just my 13 yr old. I don't think I shot at all.

Private 10 acre range rentals
[/URL]
Old 02-20-2019, 8:44 PM

kids are getting older. Some love to shoot some don’t.
BUT
They have all been taught to shoot and safe handling.
Went deer hunting with my youngest son and 20 yr old daughter last year.
Scheduling an elk hunt with my oldest son in October.
Working with an older daughter to get her CCW.
With 6 kids there was and is plenty of shooting going on.
Old 02-20-2019, 9:48 PM

Not enough hours in the week. My I don't get much time to take my daughter out to shoot.
Old 02-21-2019, 6:17 AM

My 9-year-old violin playing, ballet and tap dancing, daughter is just beginning on a .22 I got her a junior gun club membership so she can go to the youth events and take the junior classes. I have a feeling she'll be a better shot than her dad (who's a trained sniper for our county LE)

Her schedule is a challenge between her activities and visitation with her dad, who won't teach her or take her to shoot for some reason, so I'm hoping to pique her interest enough for her to want to make room for it.
Old 02-21-2019, 6:59 AM

Yeah time is an issue always. We play travel sports and barely have anytime for ourselves. The thing is all those people that told me it goes by so quick, were 100% right.

When we go to say Palm Springs, Big Bear, Mammoth, or any other road trip longer than a weekend I bring a 10/22 with us. My daughter loves it, wifey not so much but is understanding. Mainly because she has no idea what I spend on gun stuff.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:51 AM

Sebastopol Rifle & Pistol Club, Inc. has a youth PAL shooting league.

The kids meet 1 evening a week during the school year. The first half is with air rifles and the second half is with .22 club supplied rifles. Its a great program for our youth to learn how to be safe and shoot correctly. It is open to BOTH girls and boys and the instructors are absolutely wonderful with the kids.

I believe its for 13yr+ kids. I am sorry I can't recall the specific details. It been a long time since my son was shooting PAL.

https://srpc.wildapricot.org
Certified Polygraph Examiner. I provide services for Criminal and Civil Litigation, Private Businesses, Law Enforcement/Fire Pre-Employment screening, Fidelity Concerns, and other types of Family Disputes.

http://ToThePointPolygraph.com
Old 03-02-2019, 8:27 AM

What a Great Pic XVIga_Rob

Where did it go?

Last edited by DeGriz; 03-02-2019 at 8:31 AM..
Old 03-02-2019, 9:03 AM

1 out of 2 likes to shoot!
She shoots a 10/22, .243, & 20ga. She does real well at the range, and really likes the rim fire steel target range at Sac Valley. She started hunting with me last year and has been successful on dove & pheasant (she’s hooked). We will be hunting deer in CA this year, and have an antelope hunt booked in WY.

Last edited by XVIga_Rob; 03-02-2019 at 11:22 AM..
Old 03-04-2019, 7:37 PM

Default Trap

Not posting here because we are at Trap practice. First meet is next weekend.
I was going to claim he’s cleaning the gun..... but we all know that ain’t gonna happen.

Barry
Old 03-04-2019, 9:54 PM

My boy is 2, so he’s not quite there yet. Although he does already have a Cricket .22. Planning to post here more when he’s ready.

Oh and we found out yesterday he’s going to have a shooting buddy/gal around November
Old 03-05-2019, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry4130 View Post
My boy is 2, so he’s not quite there yet. Although he does already have a Cricket .22. Planning to post here more when he’s ready.

Oh and we found out yesterday he’s going to have a shooting buddy/gal around November
Congrats!
Old 03-06-2019, 11:49 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Took my son out last Sunday. We have electronic ear pro and he is trained to listen for strangers. We heard a vehicle coming our way so he armed up and ran deeper into the range as he has been instructed. I waited and saw 2 pickups crest the hill that runs down our frontage and they stopped. A big guy got out and walked along the easement where we put up barbed wire and fencing to block off easy access to the property. Someone would have to walk the easement about 150 feet to get around the wire or just squeeze between the strands. Not meant for security, more of a reminder it is private property.

Turns out he is the owner of the land a bit north and moved back from Washington. He brought out a large family to shoot on his property and plans on turning it into a private campground/gun range like ours.

Private 10 acre range rentals
[/URL]
Old 02-21-2023, 6:18 PM
Let it all fail
CGN Contributor

I know it's an old thread but my 7 year old just started going to the range with me. By the third trip he was hitting the center of his target, the first few trips he just wanted to fire the gun and aiming was less important. He has a Savage Rascal that I bought for him on his 3rd birthday. He got to shoot it a couple times on my property in Angels camp right after he got it, but now he's old enough to shoot on his own.

I let him fire a mag through my AR (with some help) on his first trip and now he's hooked on shooting.
Old 02-24-2023, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elx144 View Post
I know it's an old thread but my 7 year old just started going to the range with me. By the third trip he was hitting the center of his target, the first few trips he just wanted to fire the gun and aiming was less important. He has a Savage Rascal that I bought for him on his 3rd birthday. He got to shoot it a couple times on my property in Angels camp right after he got it, but now he's old enough to shoot on his own.

I let him fire a mag through my AR (with some help) on his first trip and now he's hooked on shooting.

My son is six and I’m hoping to take him up by idylwild soon. Just a simple trip focused only on him. He has a cricket, which I picked up the day we found out he was a boy(it’s red, white, and blue laminate). Did the same for my daughter (hers is a pink laminate). Im hoping they both really get into shooting.

Welcome to America!!
Old 03-10-2023, 10:21 AM

My daughter has been shooting her 22 chipmunk since she was 5. At 7 she got her first bolt action 243 and is proficient at 100yds on a solid rest. Now at 8 she just finished her hunters safety course yesterday.
Old 03-19-2023, 10:03 AM
Calguns Addict

No longer have a kid at home. My daughter is 31 now but I started her at 4.5 years old on a 22RF. By six she was using my 257R with a shortened stock. By 10 she had laid claim to it. I stared her on pistols at about 6-8 and bought her the 1st 9mm that matched the 45ACP I owned since she "wanted one just like dads". I paid for a NRA Lifetime membership when she was about 7 years old. When she was about 15 I had to rebarrel the 257R since she shot out the barrel I also installed a B&C stock and Timney trigger. I only see the rifle when I ask for it to do some load testing. Last week I upgraded her scope from a Leupold VX2 to a VX3HD.
Now she has 2 kids of her own and she and her husband have started them shooting. They have the Chimpmonk 22RF I got her and I bought 2 Marlin Model 60 22RF rifles and Simmon scopes for them for when the grand-kids are ready for them.
I took my daughter with me hunting before she could hunt herself. Later we went to Africa for 20 days and both hunted. Now they take the kids with them hunting and have a place to kill pigs. Yesterday my daughter got one with a head shot and her husband got one running with a heart shot.

Raise them right
Old 03-30-2023, 9:14 PM
Veteran Member

I’m so fortunate with my kids firearm/gun culture interests, that I don’t know where to start. Both started out very young, one (daughter) now teaches weapon skills full time for Uncle Sam, and the other (son) works full-time for an established FFL, building rifles, and selling everything else. Both like to hunt. Every year, the three of us attend several week-long classes at together at Gunsite, and at other times during the year, I bring along for classes whichever can get time off to attend. Being that they are in their 20’s, of course I fully fund all these adventures, and enjoy doing it. Those times we spend together are truly priceless.
Lastly, I find it both interesting and humorous when we all get together, and the two of them have friendly conversation about who gets what from the old man’s collection. They each have their favorites, and are very content to share.
Old 03-30-2023, 9:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Younger folks are on Reddit, not here.