Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-03-2022, 6:43 AM
thehunted777's Avatar
thehunted777 thehunted777 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lakewood, CA
Posts: 737
iTrader: 182 / 100%
Default ANY FORMER LA COUNTY MARSHAL'S, LA COUNTY POLICE, OR LA HOUSING AUTHORITY POLICE?

Hello I was seeing if there are any former Los Angeles County Marshal's, Los Angeles County Police (Safety Police), or Los Angeles Housing Authority Officers on here?

I'm always interested in learning more about these now long gone Police Agencies. I know The LA County Sheriff's Department absorbed the Marshal's in the mid 90's and Safety Police in 2010. I used to work with a few former Safety Police Officers who were absorbed when I came onto the LA Sheriff's Department as a Security Officer in the summer of 2010. In regards to Los Angeles Housing Authority Police I can't really find much information on them, but believe LAPD absorbed them either in the 90's or early 2000's.

Any historical information, stories, experiences, and/or photos please share! Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-03-2022, 8:28 AM
micro911's Avatar
micro911 micro911 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: LOS ANGELES COUNTY
Posts: 2,339
iTrader: 98 / 100%
Default

When I read magazines (STAR NEWS) from the Sheriffs' Relief Association, I read an article about old LA Marshalls gathering occasionally. Maybe you should check with the SRA office, also.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-03-2022, 8:32 AM
thehunted777's Avatar
thehunted777 thehunted777 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lakewood, CA
Posts: 737
iTrader: 182 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro911 View Post
When I read magazines (STAR NEWS) from the Sheriffs' Relief Association, I read an article about old LA Marshalls gathering occasionally. Maybe you should check with the SRA office, also.
Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it 😁👌
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-03-2022, 10:08 AM
master lee master lee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 220
iTrader: 28 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehunted777 View Post
Hello I was seeing if there are any former Los Angeles County Marshal's, Los Angeles County Police (Safety Police), or Los Angeles Housing Authority Officers on here?

I'm always interested in learning more about these now long gone Police Agencies. I know The LA County Sheriff's Department absorbed the Marshal's in the mid 90's and Safety Police in 2010. I used to work with a few former Safety Police Officers who were absorbed when I came onto the LA Sheriff's Department as a Security Officer in the summer of 2010. In regards to Los Angeles Housing Authority Police I can't really find much information on them, but believe LAPD absorbed them either in the 90's or early 2000's.

Any historical information, stories, experiences, and/or photos please share! Thanks!
Same here. I’ve also been interested in defunct small specialized police agencies.
I remember when MTA (RTD back then) had their own transit police force. City of LA had GSD (General Services) Police before LAPD absorbed them back in 2011,2012. GSD Police patrolled all city owned buildings and property, similar to LA County Police (safety police).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-03-2022, 11:51 AM
thehunted777's Avatar
thehunted777 thehunted777 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lakewood, CA
Posts: 737
iTrader: 182 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by master lee View Post
Same here. I’ve also been interested in defunct small specialized police agencies.
I remember when MTA (RTD back then) had their own transit police force. City of LA had GSD (General Services) Police before LAPD absorbed them back in 2011,2012. GSD Police patrolled all city owned buildings and property, similar to LA County Police (safety police).
Oh yeah I forgot to add them to the list! Yeah the old RTD Police, a Deputy that I worked with bought a couple of they're Smith and Wesson model 65 Revolvers when they were transitioning for $60 each!

And yes I also remember General Services Police as well, they used to Police LA City Hall and yes other City Owned Property/Buildings like you said as Safety Police did.

Pretty interesting history on those small Police Agencies and how things change.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-03-2022, 12:41 PM
TrailerparkTrash's Avatar
TrailerparkTrash TrailerparkTrash is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Democratic People’s Republic of Gavin
Posts: 3,788
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

On a side note, I remember as a kid the city of Lynwood having their own police department until 1977 when LASD took over. Lynwood always had the best looking shoulder patch. …Two gold lightening bolts on a dark blue background. It wouldn’t be politically correct today.
__________________



Pay attention, I?m educating you and I?m using small words. -Mark Levin


Enraging liberals is simply one of the more enjoyable side effects of my wisdom. -Rush R.I.P.


-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-03-2022, 4:34 PM
Che762x39's Avatar
Che762x39 Che762x39 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Shack on the Beach
Posts: 4,319
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

As I recall LA County had a Housing Authority with 30 officers and a $1M Budget that the Sheriff wanted and got. Their Chief I think was Martinez.

I believe LA City had its own Housing Authority.

LA County Marshals had a nickname, "Marshmallows".

For the MTA Police: Under the merger plans, the LAPD would absorb about 60% of the MTA’s police operations while the remaining 40% would go to the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department to patrol areas outside the Los Angeles city limits. Their Chief (Peggy York, Judge Ito's wife) got a Deputy Chief assignment at LAPD and recently has passed on.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-03-2022, 4:36 PM
Che762x39's Avatar
Che762x39 Che762x39 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Shack on the Beach
Posts: 4,319
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-03-2022, 4:55 PM
thehunted777's Avatar
thehunted777 thehunted777 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lakewood, CA
Posts: 737
iTrader: 182 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che762x39 View Post
As I recall LA County had a Housing Authority with 30 officers and a $1M Budget that the Sheriff wanted and got. Their Chief I think was Martinez.

I believe LA City had its own Housing Authority.

LA County Marshals had a nickname, "Marshmallows".

For the MTA Police: Under the merger plans, the LAPD would absorb about 60% of the MTA’s police operations while the remaining 40% would go to the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department to patrol areas outside the Los Angeles city limits. Their Chief (Peggy York, Judge Ito's wife) got a Deputy Chief assignment at LAPD and recently has passed on.
Interesting information, thanks for sharing! And super cool shoulder patch from Lynwood PD that trailerparktrash spoke of.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-04-2022, 2:14 PM
Bobby Ricigliano's Avatar
Bobby Ricigliano Bobby Ricigliano is online now
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan
Posts: 17,390
iTrader: 332 / 100%
Default

As the time honored saying goes: “The bear goes everywhere.”
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-04-2022, 5:01 PM
DNA's Avatar
DNA DNA is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,512
iTrader: 80 / 100%
Default

What about Compton and Maywood PDs? Both are now patrolled by LA County Sheriff's.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-04-2022, 11:40 PM
TrailerparkTrash's Avatar
TrailerparkTrash TrailerparkTrash is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Democratic People’s Republic of Gavin
Posts: 3,788
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che762x39 View Post
Boom!
__________________



Pay attention, I?m educating you and I?m using small words. -Mark Levin


Enraging liberals is simply one of the more enjoyable side effects of my wisdom. -Rush R.I.P.


-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-04-2022, 11:42 PM
TrailerparkTrash's Avatar
TrailerparkTrash TrailerparkTrash is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Democratic People’s Republic of Gavin
Posts: 3,788
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
As the time honored saying goes: “The bear goes everywhere.”
It actually goes:
”The county bear, sihts everywhere.”
__________________



Pay attention, I?m educating you and I?m using small words. -Mark Levin


Enraging liberals is simply one of the more enjoyable side effects of my wisdom. -Rush R.I.P.


-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:32 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2021, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.



Seams2SewBySusy