Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 01-03-2022, 9:58 AM

Question Down the Pipe dreams: How does one (a complete newb) get into competitive shooting?

Hello Calgunners,
Have had my fair share of fun times at ranges and BLM shooting but have always had interests(down the pipe dreams) in competitive shooting. Looking for updates and information. I’ve read the “what you need to get started” sticky (great read) and other posts but I’m sure I’m not alone in wondering:

How or what did you do to enter your first match?

Are there any beginner friendly clubs or matches in San Diego or list your local area for those like myself? (Everything I’ve read was a few years old)

Any online resources or info you received that helped you take that first step from dream to reality to get started?

And no I haven’t been binge watching TopShot
Just a guy with a kid and a wife who no longer lets me ride my motorcycles. Fortunately she likes guns….who am I kidding it’s easier to hide a firearm from her than a motorcycle; or ask for forgiveness than permission.

Cheers and thank you,
Calguns lurker BonJun
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Old 01-03-2022, 10:07 AM

Welcome BonJun!

Most clubs are beginner friendly - you just have to let them know you're just starting. Check Practiscore for matches close by. Most of the matches are in North County (LDF, OPP) or Prado (Oh Shoot, CA-IDPA). SDTS IDPA won't be starting back up until the Pala politics ease up.

If you have more questions fell free hit me up on DM. Me and the buds usually hit up CA-IDPA on the two Sundays every month and would be happy to help you out at the match.

Oh, for what I did prior to my first match was to watch a lot of powerfactorshow on youtube

Also forgot to mention that Lemon Grove Rod and Gun does Saturday matches as well.

Last edited by Sentenza; 01-03-2022 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: Forgot stuff
Old 01-03-2022, 11:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Start taking some self defense classes that include working out of a holster.
Then find a local club and see if they offer beginner or orientation classes.
Then shoot a local GSSF match, they are very low key and beginner friendly.
Old 01-03-2022, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

Sentenza pretty much nailed it. If you want to take a couple of classes and get a taste of it and some training contact Myles at Tactical Hyve. He is here in San Diego and does an excellent job.
https://tacticalhyve.com/
Old 01-03-2022, 11:36 AM

You can miss targets, forget targets, and shoot hostage/ no-shoot targets all day. Fumble your reloads, fail to keep track of how many rounds are in your magazine, shoot from outside the shooting area, no big deal. Forget/ don't know how to clear malfunctions, oh well. Fat and slow? Welcome to the club.

As long as you come with a good attitude and a keen awareness for safety, you'll be welcome at any local match.

Keep your gun pointed in a safe direction at all times, and keep your finger off the trigger when reloading/ moving/ not shooting. Be familiar with working from a holster and reloading from magazine pouches (beginner/ training wheels level of speed is familiar enough).

Get out and do it. No amount of hemming and hawing will scratch the itch

EDIT: And don't forget to have fun
Old 01-03-2022, 11:45 AM

Thank you armed gentlemen for your responses. Much appreciate the valuable information and your experience Sentenza (appreciate the invite as well). I’ll be sure to look at everything you folks have shared especially the powerfactorshow (we are visual learners after all). G-force junkie Defense classes are definitely a smart option as they will be needed for ccw classes thank you. Damon 1272 some one on one might be my route before actually stepping onto a course. Cheers gentlemen!
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
Old 01-03-2022, 11:46 AM

Lol Mustard I love it thank you!
Old 01-03-2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post

Get out and do it. No amount of hemming and hawing will scratch the itch

EDIT: And don't forget to have fun
This^^

The next LGRGC match is Hybrid Pistol, USPSA, not a ton of movement - good starting point for beginners. We'll be there.

https://practiscore.com/lgrgc-hybrid...n2022/register
Old 01-03-2022, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentenza View Post
This^^
Ain’t that the truth!
Sentenza I’ll take you up on that In the future. Not when I’m ready cause I’ll never be unless like mustard said “just get out and do it”.
Thank you.
Old 01-03-2022, 2:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonJun View Post
Hello Calgunners,
Have had my fair share of fun times at ranges and BLM shooting but have always had interests(down the pipe dreams) in competitive shooting. Looking for updates and information. I’ve read the “what you need to get started” sticky (great read) and other posts but I’m sure I’m not alone in wondering:

How or what did you do to enter your first match?

Are there any beginner friendly clubs or matches in San Diego or list your local area for those like myself? (Everything I’ve read was a few years old)

Any online resources or info you received that helped you take that first step from dream to reality to get started?

And no I haven’t been binge watching TopShot
Just a guy with a kid and a wife who no longer lets me ride my motorcycles. Fortunately she likes guns….who am I kidding it’s easier to hide a firearm from her than a motorcycle; or ask for forgiveness than permission.

Cheers and thank you,
Calguns lurker BonJun

You watch videos on IDPA for beginners, you read the IDPA rule book. (Insert USPSA if you so desire)

:: You get appropriate gear (quality holsters for your weapon and your magazines - nothing fobus or junk like it)
:: You understand and practice safe firearm handling
:: You teach yourself to safely draw and holster your weapon without sweeping your body or using your non-shooting hand
:: You understand the difference between downrange and uprange and you know what the 180 is and why you should never break it.
:: You don't touch your weapon in the holster until the RO says to do so. You listen to your RO as if your life depends on it

And above all else, you forget everything you ever learned about shooting when the timer goes "BEEP"
Old 01-03-2022, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbin Dallas View Post
And above all else, you forget everything you ever learned about shooting when the timer goes "BEEP"
Yup. And I hate when that happens at competitions.
Old 01-03-2022, 6:30 PM
Veteran Member

I would say figure out what you want to shoot. IDPA is more defensive where as IPSC is the cool gamer stuff. Both have their place.
Old 01-03-2022, 6:41 PM
Veteran Member

I usually recommend Steel Challenge to new shooters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin Scully
Don't be sad that it's over. Smile because it happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William James
I cannot allow your ignorance, however great, to take precedence over my knowledge, however small.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimping View Post
When you reach the plateau, there's always going to be those that try to drag you down. Just keep up the game, collect the scratch, and ignore those who seek to drag you down to their level.
Old 01-04-2022, 8:56 AM

In addition to what everyone else has said, learn the following:
How to draw and re-holster without shooting yourself
Learn to reload the gun without shooting the gun during the process
Learn to move left to right, right to left, forward and backward without having the muzzle point anywhere but down range.
Learn to move without shooting the gun at anything but a target.
Leave your ego at the house before you get in the car to drive to the range. Nobody will care about your score or anything else as long as you are safe. You are not going to win your first match.
Tell everyone on your squad and/or during sign-up you are new and don't know anything.
Ask where the safe areas are so you can take your gun out of the bag and put it in your holster. Ask where you can load your mags (hint almost anywhere but the safe area).
Tell the RO's on your squad you want to go towards the end of the list so you can watch the other shooters on the stage. Realize you are not going to be able to do what they are doing, but understand the process. Ask the RO's to help you (coaching), so you don't make errors or get lost in the process.

Realize everyone, including the national and world champs, were new once and didn't know anything. We all had to start someplace. This is your someplace. Jump in, the water is fine.
Old 01-04-2022, 9:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvicta View Post
Yup. And I hate when that happens at competitions.
The original neuralyzer
Old 01-08-2022, 11:27 AM

Happened to come across this thread, and reading through it made me sign up for my first IDPA event tomorrow at Prado.

I sense some performance anxiety kicking in already lol
Old 01-08-2022, 1:44 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aar0n_k View Post
Happened to come across this thread, and reading through it made me sign up for my first IDPA event tomorrow at Prado.

Regardless of which flavor (GSSF, Steel, IDPA, USPSA, Multi-Gun) you start - safety first. Shoot the targets as you see them. Don’t try for speed the first time out, walk between arrays if you need to… Ensuring the you do not go past 180; finger is off the trigger until you are actively engaging a target. Listen to all instructions, process, then act.

Stay safe, enjoy and good luck!

_
Old 01-08-2022, 1:57 PM

Quote:

Your priorities shall be:

1) be safe
2) learn
3) have fun

Manage your expectations. Don't go in expecting to win or be john wick; that'll come with more trigger time.
Old 01-08-2022, 2:09 PM

Quote:

1) be safe
2) learn
3) have fun

Manage your expectations. Don't go in expecting to win or be john wick; that'll come with more trigger time.
4) Make sure you tape and reset targets.

Beginners are always welcome. Just be safe and concentrate on hitting A zone or Zero down your first few matches.
Old 01-08-2022, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
Regardless of which flavor (GSSF, Steel, IDPA, USPSA, Multi-Gun) you start - safety first. Shoot the targets as you see them. Don’t try for speed the first time out, walk between arrays if you need to… Ensuring the you do not go past 180; finger is off the trigger until you are actively engaging a target. Listen to all instructions, process, then act.
Stay safe, enjoy and good luck!
_
Thanks and will do. Just went to the range to try a few mock runs of the classifier. Based on the abbreviated classier, looks like I'll probably be MM or SS.

Quote:
1) be safe
2) learn
3) have fun
I was John Wick in my own head until the first time I saw footage of myself shooting.
I look more like Steven Seagal, and not in a good way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
4) Make sure you tape and reset targets.
Beginners are always welcome. Just be safe and concentrate on hitting A zone or Zero down your first few matches.
Sounds good and will do!

Last edited by aar0n_k; 01-09-2022 at 6:14 AM..
Old 01-09-2022, 7:42 PM

Quote:
I was John Wick in my own head until the first time I saw footage of myself shooting.
Let that be your wake up call/motivator to get out and train more

Cameras/go pros are handy tools to help assess your performance.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that competitive shooting > tactical defensive shooting, or vice versa. Ref: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1723542
Old 01-12-2022, 5:53 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Thanks and will do. Just went to the range to try a few mock runs of the classifier. Based on the abbreviated classier, looks like I'll probably be MM or SS.
Good job in not getting disqualified (DQed) and finishing half of the pack!

_
Old 01-13-2022, 7:24 AM

Quote:

!
As I am sure most of us here would say. We all thought we were good until we got into action pistol (IDPA or USPSA). In any defensive type class I was one of the better shooters. I won the man on man comps and so forth. When I went to my first USPSA match, I thought I was going to be in the mix for the top spots. I could not have been more wrong. It was way different than what I was expecting. Even after I saw some of the fast guys shoot, I thought, I can do that. Then, as expected, I totally sucked. I would sit there reloading my mags thinking, how did that guy beat me by 10 seconds on that stage. How did I shoot all those charlies and deltas and they shot all alphas? While still in shock, we moved to another bay and there was a polish plate rack at 20 yards. I had no idea how to shoot it. I actually skipped that position, shot everything else, then came back to it and shot all the ammo on my belt to clear it. Needless to say, humbled.
Old 01-13-2022, 7:41 AM

There are certain sports disciplines where this question is answered differently than most, shooting is certainly one as I am to describe below...

In an interview, Matti Nykänen was asked about the process of learning ski jumping. He related that you either were good at it right from the start or you gave up the sport. Lack of initial success is...debilitating.

Appreciate what is related here. The emphasis on safe lead-up before making 'the leap'. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2022, 7:51 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBay Shooter View Post
As I am sure most of us here would say. We all thought we were good until we got into action pistol (IDPA or USPSA).
Personally - it was more apparent to me in USPSA rather than IDPA.

_
Old 01-13-2022, 9:11 AM

Quote:
Personally - it was more apparent to me in USPSA rather than IDPA.

_
it's the truth. I thought I was pretty cool with my full size stock M&P 40 in limited with my CA compliant 10 round mags. My bladetech holster and two sets of double pouches. Not last that day, but pretty close.

I had five mags. One in the gun and 4 on the belt. I was the description of standing reloads...LOL Back then they had the B zone on the heads. Good thing I was shooting major.
Old 01-13-2022, 1:00 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
it's the truth. I thought I was pretty cool with my full size stock M&P 40 in limited with my CA compliant 10 round mags. My bladetech holster and two sets of double pouches. Not last that day, but pretty close.

I had five mags. One in the gun and 4 on the belt. I was the description of standing reloads...LOL Back then they had the B zone on the heads. Good thing I was shooting major.
Hahaha!!! Don't remind me... Please...

This was my debut into USPSA...

Although I am not as fast (well, efficient) as I would want to be today - this match of mine feels excruciatingly SLOW!?!?! Hit factors in the 2s and 3s...

_
Old 01-13-2022, 1:42 PM

I started with cowboy action shooting for a few years then got a 1911 and found an IDPA club nearby. Later started USPSA then ICORE. But the thought that I was going to go to these new matches and show them how it's done never entered my head.
Old 01-17-2022, 9:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Sounds good and will do!
and don't care about what class your in

USPSA CRO
MEMBER: USPSA, GSSF, Richmond Rod & Gun, Sunnyvale Rod & Gun

Old 01-18-2022, 2:11 PM

I actually missed the classifier last weekend and will be doing it this next weekend when I go again. I had blast at my first event. Nothing to brag about, but not coming in dead last was pretty cool!
Old 01-18-2022, 3:30 PM

I started doing IDPA last year. I'm reading a lot of things familiar to me

I vividly remember on my first match
BEFORE THE MATCH: I thought everything looked easy. Planned how to do some things. I had minimal pistol experience, no real pistol training. Focus on the front sight, I told myself.
ON THE MATCH: Timer beeped, all plans went out the window once I started shooting. Would shoot once I see the gun pointed on paper; front sight nowhere to be found . Fumbled mag changes. Gun would not lock back on empty mag due to improper grip positioning. No presence of mind on round count. High stress level, I felt the targets wanted to kill me In short, sucked big time lol. The only thing I am proud of was I did not DQ, so I must be a safe shooter

Fast forward to today, I am still asking myself what took me so long to get started. With kids and an on-call job, I can only shoot when I can but I can say I am a better shot now than I was because of going to comps.

So, go find that club that welcomes newbies, where you'll feel at home and make new friends. You'll be up and competing in no time. Just be a safe shooter like everyone said and you'll learn the rest as you go.
Old 01-18-2022, 3:37 PM

Getting out to that first match is the tough one. A few months later you're not the brand new guy anymore.
Old 01-18-2022, 4:48 PM

Quote:
I actually missed the classifier last weekend and will be doing it this next weekend when I go again. I had blast at my first event. Nothing to brag about, but not coming in dead last was pretty cool!
It's almost troubling to see how low the bar for performance is at matches... and then you think "and these are the guys that like guns enough to come out and play? what about the rest of the gun owning population that doesn't play/train?"

Training!
Old 01-19-2022, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx1974 View Post
I started doing IDPA last year. I'm reading a lot of things familiar to me

I vividly remember on my first match
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG29736 View Post
Getting out to that first match is the tough one. A few months later you're not the brand new guy anymore.
My first IDPA - I finished 50/92... I remember that day - I would have assumed that Chino would be a lot cooler than where I live, so, came out with compression clothes that is supposed to cool me down. But surprisingly - there was heat wave, and a cover garment was not required, and I was burning up with the black compression.

Quote:
It's almost troubling to see how low the bar for performance is at matches... and then you think "and these are the guys that like guns enough to come out and play? what about the rest of the gun owning population that doesn't play/train?"
As mentioned in the separate thread -

Quote:
Although there was a Leatham/Seeklander class where they challenged the students with the question - to paraphrase - “Shouldn’t tactical/defensive shooters be training more? Ten times more than competition shooters? While what is at stake with competition shooters is just a trophy, what is at stake for the tactical/defensive shooters is either your life or your loved one’s…”

I went like…

_
Old 01-19-2022, 12:58 PM

Here's my experience of shooting my first match many decades ago. Bought my first centerfire pistol in December. Went to watch an USPSA match in January and talked to the people there. Shot my first match in February. So that's how little experience I had. So if you don't think you are good enough, you probably have more shooting experience than I do when I shot my first match.
Old 01-24-2022, 5:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Just saw this...

OP, since you're in San Diego, you have some of the best shooters competing locally at any given weekend. Linea de Fuego (LdF) runs matches every other weekend, the next USPSA is on 2/13. Escondido Fish and Game runs lower key matches quite often too, you might want to check their website. Also, there is a local instructor here in Temecula who runs "intro to USPSA" classes where you get all the information about how to participate in a match, while also going through a set of mini stages that give you a flavor of the USPSA stages. You can contact Gary (the owner) online here.

Finally, if you're in the Temecula area hit me up if you want to shoot at the Rainbow Range, I can show you the ropes (you can shoot as a guest, there is a fee, not sure what it is now).
Old 01-26-2022, 8:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
In addition to what everyone else has said, learn the following:
How to draw and re-holster without shooting yourself
Learn to reload the gun without shooting the gun during the process
Learn to move left to right, right to left, forward and backward without having the muzzle point anywhere but down range.
Learn to move without shooting the gun at anything but a target.
Leave your ego at the house before you get in the car to drive to the range. Nobody will care about your score or anything else as long as you are safe. You are not going to win your first match.
Tell everyone on your squad and/or during sign-up you are new and don't know anything.
Ask where the safe areas are so you can take your gun out of the bag and put it in your holster. Ask where you can load your mags (hint almost anywhere but the safe area).
Tell the RO's on your squad you want to go towards the end of the list so you can watch the other shooters on the stage. Realize you are not going to be able to do what they are doing, but understand the process. Ask the RO's to help you (coaching), so you don't make errors or get lost in the process.

Realize everyone, including the national and world champs, were new once and didn't know anything. We all had to start someplace. This is your someplace. Jump in, the water is fine.

Outstanding post and 100%!!
Old 01-26-2022, 9:07 AM

Just have fun and be safe. That's really it. Nobody will care if you suck, even though lots will offer advice even when you don't ask for it. I did see a guy show up to a steel match, had to borrow mag pouches, shot a subcompact glock, and proceed to walk through each stage (slowly, carefully, safely) but hardly hit a single plate on any stage at all. I'm sure it was humbling for him, but he didn't leave, he kept at it and I never saw anyone say something negative to him. Only one way to learn.