Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > The CRPA Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The CRPA Forum News, Questions, and Discussion

Old 09-05-2018, 10:51 AM

Default Firearm storage within Los Angeles City Limits

1. Does State law PC 25105 preempt local city ordinance 55.21?
2. City ordinance does not specify loaded or unloaded. Does it make a difference?

Bottom line, can I have or store a loaded firearm (rifle or handgun) in my private residence within Los Angeles city limit?

Last edited by physoft; 09-05-2018 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: misspelling
Old 09-07-2018, 9:52 AM

All I know about the LA ordinance is that it was modeled after the San Francisco ordinance infamously upheld by the Ninth Circuit. The SF ordinance requires all firearms to be unloaded and stored under lock and key unless the firearm is in your IMMEDIATE possession, a word used in its narrowest sense to mean "on your body." In other words, the ordinance was drafted to be as close to the D.C. ordinance as humanly possible without, in theory, stepping over the limits imposed by the Heller decision. And the Ninth Circuit decision I assume answers the question about state pre-emption, i.e., it isn't.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruOil View Post
All I know about the LA ordinance is that it was modeled after the San Francisco ordinance infamously upheld by the Ninth Circuit. The SF ordinance requires all firearms to be unloaded and stored under lock and key unless the firearm is in your IMMEDIATE possession, a word used in its narrowest sense to mean "on your body." In other words, the ordinance was drafted to be as close to the D.C. ordinance as humanly possible without, in theory, stepping over the limits imposed by the Heller decision. And the Ninth Circuit decision I assume answers the question about state pre-emption, i.e., it isn't.
The LA ordinance does not specify loaded or unloaded so if your handgun was loaded and you were arrested for illegal storage I am hearing from a firearms instructor that the DA would not press charges.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:50 PM

Wrong forum. That said:

1. no preemption, most likely. Assume the law is valid until further notice.
2. Unlike SF's Police Code sec. 4512 which applies to all firearms, LA's ordinance is limited to handguns. You are free to keep rifles and shotguns unsecured and loaded.
2.a.Of course, if you do that, you are subject to PC 25100 and liability for criminal storage should a child or prohibited person gain access to it and cause grave bodily injury/death.
3. You can have a handgun (loaded or unloaded doesn't matter), so long as it is either on your person or secured with a trigger lock or in a "a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock or similar locking device."

If you want to comply but have a pistol ready to go as a "nightstand gun," there are a number of biometric or electronic combo boxes that will work for your purpose.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Get a DAC sportsafe.

I've been using mine for years since the kids were born.
Old 09-19-2018, 8:42 AM

I think the DAC Sportsafe has gone the way of the DODO. I have two, one of them started to act up so started looking for a replacement. Couldn't find it out there on the interwebs. I have switched over to AMSEC with mechanical locks. It will slightly slower access but no electronics to break nor batteries to leak.

The OP may be asking about long gun storage which the DAC safe won't handle.