Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 01-01-2013, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-nra View Post
Wow clay @ 200 yards? I can barely see the chickens at 200 meters which is a lot bigger than clay. Sounds like your son had very good eye which is essential to silhouette match. PM Frank so he can join the MN team. Come on out on the 19th for our first match of the year. If you can't shoot this time at least watch and learn how it's done. No rocker cience to it. Just knock down as many target as you can with 40 rounds in 40 minutes split into 4.

You will need HP or SP projectiles as no FMJ are allowed due to possible damage to the steel. You don't have to reload if you don't have the equipment yet as it can be pricey to start. Any SP hunting ammo will work.
Yep he slams them. He is Only 17 though and been shooting most his life. Grew up with guns and shoots 10Meter air pistols as well. So has a nack for shooting and a steady trigger pull.
Old 01-01-2013, 6:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete1979 View Post
The Finn is an accurized rifle completely rebuilt and fitted by skilled armorers, not drunken comunist laborers. It should not to be confused with an off the rack 91/30 which was designed to be little more than a pike/club with Volley fire capabilities. The M39 Finn goes a step further as most of the original rifle minus the reciever, bolt and bottom metal went into the trash.
I owned and shot a Finn (Hex M39) for 15 years, also an M44 and the "Tactical Night Light" posted on this page so I am not basing my opinion an what I have heard somewhere or read somewhere. The Mosin is the ultimate compliment as it is a copy of the earlier and by 1891, obsolete Mauser design so the fact that the small ring 91 even exists means that the conventional Mauser design is superior.
Heres a secret pete, ITS A MOSIN. When these fan boys who have never shot a mosin come in and say mosins suck they need to correct themselves and say 1980's junk refurbed mosins suck. Not mosins.

If I ever get out there Ill bring my junk $300 mauser that I polished. Israeli 7.62x51. Crap camera phone.

Old 01-01-2013, 6:33 PM
Veteran Member

Where are my bolshevek comrades? Are the Moisons all broken.

What about SKS and AK shooters? anyone shooting 7.62x39mm ? Ill take you all at this rate if ProNRa approves

If I dont get anyone to shoot on my Moison/SKS/AK/7.62x39mm team Ill start a Mauser team #2 to shoot against Mauser team #1

Last edited by 6mmintl; 01-01-2013 at 6:37 PM..
Old 01-01-2013, 7:10 PM
Banned

Location: Sage (eastern edge of Temecula Wine Country), Southwest Riverside County

According to the Warren Commission, the 6.5mm Carcano M38 carbine is the fastest handling, most accurate bolt action rifle ever made, and will wipe the floor with all your Mosins and Mausers.
Old 01-01-2013, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus von W. View Post
According to the Warren Commission, the 6.5mm Carcano M38 carbine is the fastest handling, most accurate bolt action rifle ever made, and will wipe the floor with all your Mosins and Mausers.
I think I just pee'd a little.
Old 01-01-2013, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mmintl View Post
Where are my bolshevek comrades? Are the Moisons all broken.

What about SKS and AK shooters? anyone shooting 7.62x39mm ? Ill take you all at this rate if ProNRa approves

If I dont get anyone to shoot on my Moison/SKS/AK/7.62x39mm team Ill start a Mauser team #2 to shoot against Mauser team #1
I have no issues with SKS and AK joining the Mosin team. I've heard they are very accurate. You should have no problem recruiting fine shooters with Mosins.

Great idea, if all the Mosins running scared and staying home, then put together a Mauser team #2 against team #1.

Quote:
I think I just pee'd a little.
X2. Good one Pete.

Last edited by pro-nra; 01-01-2013 at 8:34 PM..
Old 01-01-2013, 8:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Doesnt matter what anyone says, "camp perry! CAMP PERRY SON!

fanboy,

An extreme fan or follower of a particular medium or concept, whether it be sports, C&R rifles, television, film directors, video games (the most common usage), etc.

Known for a complete lack of objectivity in relation to their preferred focus. Usually argue with circular logic that they refuse to acknowledge. Arguments or debates with such are usually futile. Every flaw is spun into semi-virtues and everything else, blown to comedic, complimentary proportions.

Known for using the phrase
"Object of affection = Best Ever"
However, while people only really say that as hyperbole, fanboys truly believe it.

Troll the internet to spread the gospel.

Insult/chastise others for using public forums to express an objective opinion, no matter how constructive or, respectful it may be. (Go ahead and admit that it's a good game/movie/etc. This fact and anything else will be promptly ignored in favor of cherry picking the negative, and beating you over the head with it.

Tend to resort to petty annoyance replies when backed against the wall. Usually grammar attacks and non-replies.
"Final Fantasy VII is the best RPG ever!"
"Ocarina of Time is the best game ever!"
"Linux is the best OS ever!"
"Xbox is the best console ever!"
"Dragonball Z is the best show ever!"

as learned from the description above the logical reply from amy fanboy will be CAMP PERRY SON!

Are you guys gonna swap rifles during the match?
Old 01-01-2013, 8:44 PM

I don't think anyone is knocking the Finns here but I will say one thing. The last time I fired that lamp, I needed a tetanus shot.
Old 01-01-2013, 8:49 PM

Quote:
I don't think anyone is knocking the Finns here but I will say one thing. The last time I fired that lamp, I needed a tetanus shot.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:35 PM

Can I join the Mauser team??? With my Mitchell's Mauser??
Old 01-02-2013, 9:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backstrap View Post
Youre just on a Tangent now LMAO. Josh burned you up a good one. Lost your mind telling me what to do. Go play. "Camp Perry" "Camp Perry" youre a plain FAN BOY! Straight up. You have never shot one, dont know why they are innacurate your only proof is "camp perry"= Fan boy. straight up. Pathfinder busted your *** with his match and you disreguard it.
To clarify...

In December, Pathfinder was shooting a scoped Finn match rifle in open class.

ProNRA was shooting an as-issued Mauser.
Old 01-02-2013, 9:19 AM
Banned

Location: Sage (eastern edge of Temecula Wine Country), Southwest Riverside County

Quote:
Originally Posted by OniKoroshi View Post
Can I join the Mauser team??? With my Mitchell's Mauser??
Is that one of those rare "all original" unissued SS 98k's "Dishonest Don" Mitchell found in a secret underground Nazi bunker under a Himmler's personal gas chamber in a concentration camp, or one of the even rarer sniper versions Mitchell discovered in that hidden room at the back of Eva Braun's closet in Hitler's castle in the Alps?

As rare and valuable as those rifles are - "the only known remaining ones in the world" (to steal a line from the Bible-thumping fundamentalists: "Don Mitchell said, I believe it, and that settles it!") - I'd be afraid to shoot one of those priceless historical treasures one if I owned it.

Anyhow, it doesn't really matter from a practical point of view. Like I said, the M38 Carcano rules the range. If poor old Benito hadn't made the mistake of buddying up with those damn sauerkraut eating Mauser freaks, we'd all be reading and writing this discussion in Italian right now.
Old 01-02-2013, 9:24 AM

It's actually rare marcus. I was able to obtain an ultra rare preproduction chrome one. Chromed inside and out! Mr. Mitchell was even gracious enough to sign the refinished stock!

Quote:
Is that one of those rare "all original" unissued SS 98k's "Dishonest Don" Mitchell found in a secret underground Nazi bunker under a Himmler's personal gas chamber in a concentration camp, or one of the even rarer sniper versions Mitchell discovered in that hidden room at the back of Eva Braun's closet in Hitler's castle in the Alps?

As rare and valuable as those rifles are - "the only known remaining ones in the world" (to steal a line from the Bible-thumping fundamentalists: "Don Mitchell said, I believe it, and that settles it!") - I'd be afraid to shoot one of those priceless historical treasures one if I owned it.

Anyhow, it doesn't really matter from a practical point of view. Like I said, the M38 Carcano rules the range. If poor old Benito hadn't made the mistake of buddying up with those damn sauerkraut eating Mauser freaks, we'd all be reading and writing this discussion in Italian right now.
Old 01-02-2013, 9:26 AM
In Memoriam

Great thread. Some mosins are precisely made, some bores vary in manufacture, which I think has most to do with accuracy. They have great sights, and funky stock triggers.

I found it easy to hit 2 foot plates at 400 yards with my good ones.

I didn't think my Finns were an upgrade over my best 91/30, other than the trigger, and were a lot heavier to drag around.
Old 01-02-2013, 9:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17+1 View Post
ProNRA was shooting an as-issued Mauser.
The sun, earth, our moon and all 66 moons of Jupiter must have lined up for me that day as that was my best performance on the turkey ever and knocked down 10 out of 11 (one was during a shoot off). Had three ringers on the ram (downfall of the 6.5x55 round). For some reason the easiest chicken ate my lunch with just 6. Oh well I had fun.

Looking forward to seeing a bunch of Mosin, SKS and AK on the line for the match on the 19th . Frank is gathering a Comm Block team against our Mauser team #1. He is also possibly putting together a Mauser team #2 as well against Mauser team #1.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I plan on being there for the January match. I will bring a Mosin and a Swede, and I am reluctantly accepting a spot on Frank's team.

Frank, this does NOT mean you are allowed to yell at me on the firing line!!

Juanito - what is the average score of the open sight Mausers? I usually get around 22 to 24 with my Mosin, my best was 26 a few months ago.

I think Vern should be DQed for being a ringer. Anyone who practices twice a week between monthly matches has an unfair advantage over the rest of us who have jobs :/
Old 01-02-2013, 10:57 AM

Juanita, I think Norma still makes a 156gr soft point in .264. Not sure how well they would group at distance but it may be worth a try.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Brian View Post
I plan on being there for the January match. I will bring a Mosin and a Swede, and I am reluctantly accepting a spot on Frank's team.

Frank, this does NOT mean you are allowed to yell at me on the firing line!!

Juanito - what is the average score of the open sight Mausers? I usually get around 22 to 24 with my Mosin, my best was 26 a few months ago.

I think Vern should be DQed for being a ringer. Anyone who practices twice a week between monthly matches has an unfair advantage over the rest of us who have jobs :/
You communist traitor you! Frank needs all the help he can get as it seems the Mosin guys are either in hiding, shy or scared? Will you be shooting that lamp post? It probably shoots sub MOA like most Mosin with a cork/rag under the barrel. Frank also welcomes SKS and AK shooters on his team as well but they are not coming out. I hope Franks yells at you like a mean marine DI.

Vern is deadly with his 03-A3. Amazing shooter Vern is. Did you know he is a right hand shooter? However, he can no longer see the front sight due to eye disease on his right shooting eye so he switch shooting left handed. Amazing feat he shoots as well as he does just like his partner Paul Woden. In his defense, he only practice ones a week along with Paul, Arnie and me. You can always quit your job and just shoot all the time.

As far as average for a Swede I could not tell you as that was the first time I've shot it at a match with PMC hunting ammo (ran out of powder to reload). But to give you an idea, Paul averages between 30-35 with his M96 but only scored 32 last match and was beat by another M96 with a 34 score. Amazing shooting there. Vern did not shoot his 03-A3 that match due to broken stock and shot a Garand instead...not as accurate as his 03-A3.

Quote:
Juanita, I think Norma still makes a 156gr soft point in .264. Not sure how well they would group at distance but it may be worth a try.
Pete, not sure how that heavy 156gr will group with a 1:8.66 twist. I would think with a heavy projectile you will need an even faster twist like a 1:7? I've already worked up a good load with 140 SMK or 140 Nosler CC that worked great with H4831.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:53 AM

Im not sure either as that bullet has a long bearing surface but I think the original intended load for the 96 was a freakishly long round nose bullet of about 156 grains, probably made by Norma.
Old 01-02-2013, 3:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The sun, earth, our moon and all 66 moons of Jupiter must have lined up for me that day as that was my best performance on the turkey ever and knocked down 10 out of 11 (one was during a shoot off). Had three ringers on the ram (downfall of the 6.5x55 round). For some reason the easiest chicken ate my lunch with just 6. Oh well I had fun.
I shot my lowest score on that course last match...depressing. I've shot twice that score with the same rifle before (Chilean 1912 Mauser with an aperture rear sight). At least the new open irons class will give me somewhere to shoot...my mid to high 20's iron sight scores might get me some cash if I'm not up against scoped rifles.
Old 01-02-2013, 6:29 PM

The new open iron will be good for the match as a lot of shooters have aperture target sights and will not shoot against scoped rifles as it would not be fair.

It's a hit a miss. Some days we all do well and some days we could not hit the side of a barn. On match I did so bad only got an 18 but it was good for 2nd in the AA as everone else had the same bad day.

I will put a bug on Tom's ear that he should run three relays as he had to turn down couple of shooters last month. In addition, I would like to shoot in the as issued and open iron with one of my Swedish CG-63 target rifles. I think we have to be over 30s to win anything on the iron as there are a lot of good shooters out there with aperture just waiting.

Here is what I will shoot for the open iron (the one without the handguard).

Old 01-02-2013, 7:06 PM
Veteran Member

Stop bashing Carcano's, I OWN the range record with one, ask Tom Lyon.

I shattered the old Carcano record by 600%.
Old 01-02-2013, 7:33 PM
Calguns Addict

I shoot both -

And prefer the 91/30's and FR8's.

I'm assuming it's not so much that "Mosin boys are hiding" -

As "Mosin boys don't really give a crap..."

Carry on...
Old 01-02-2013, 7:51 PM

Mosins are just good rifle overall for the price and decent shot. I personally like it, the huge round splits boulders with ease and makes up a good scout type rifle that is also not too bad for hunting. The look is not one of the best, but it works and been working since 1943.

By the way, if there are so many threads about mosins and this single one got three pages already, then mosin still got it. Hate it or love it, it will still be around.
Old 01-02-2013, 8:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalin321 View Post
Mosins are just good rifle overall for the price and decent shot. I personally like it, the huge round splits boulders with ease and makes up a good scout type rifle that is also not too bad for hunting. The look is not one of the best, but it works and been working since 1891.
Fixed that for you.
Old 01-02-2013, 8:07 PM

Danny you are coming up here and shoot with us on the 19th? We need as many shooters as possible.
Old 01-02-2013, 9:23 PM
Veteran Member

I have ONE confirmed Moison shooter Flyinbrian.

This is sad, the Mauser buys have intimidated the Moison owners/shooters and they have failed the motherland. Stalin knew how to handle the traitors and slackers.

Come on guys, stand up and be counted, get out of the trenches, get out of the rubble, and the sewers, and defend mother Russia with me.
Old 01-03-2013, 5:34 AM
Calguns Addict

being that i just like to go to the range and shoot bowling pins. the price of ammo is important to me. the mosin is so much bang for the buck. i will never be a precision marksman and am not interest in trying. i love shooting my mosin M 44 and PU sniper so much i sold all my other mosins including a spectacular like new 1929 ex dragoon TULA. it was too pretty to shoot. i also sold my only Mauser. the ammo cost twice as much and i just did not think it was better than my Mosins for what i do.
if you are on the fence about getting a Mosin just get one. forget the haters. in the last 8 months i have bought maybe 8-10 mosins. after cleaning them up i go to the range and fire them. i have put maybe 500 rounds threw them . not 1 dud .18c bullet. no jams or fail to eject. at 18c a round i never seem to find the time to shoot my very nice savage bolt 22lr. yes 22lr cost less but is not as much fun as 18c 7.62-54r. ask the mosin haters which gun is less expensive to shoot. the best price i ever got on Mauser 8 mm was around 48c a round. get a on sale MN and a couple of spam cans of ammo and you can shoot a long time on the cheap.
Old 01-03-2013, 8:22 AM

NOTABIKER, please help out Frank below as he is hurting for Mosin shooters. Seems like they are a "shy" bunch and don't want to show off their sub MOA rifles? This would be a perfect opportunity to "shine" over the Mausers once and for all we can put this baby to bed.

Quote:

This is sad, the Mauser buys have intimidated the Moison owners/shooters and they have failed the motherland. Stalin knew how to handle the traitors and slackers.

Come on guys, stand up and be counted, get out of the trenches, get out of the rubble, and the sewers, and defend mother Russia with me.
Farnk, Flyin Brian don't count as he is a Mauser shooter at heart and was just “pressured” to switch side...traitor. Make sure you send out an invite to Josh and backstrap and many others who posted on this thread about Mosin to join the team as they sure could help out the team with their sub MOA Mosins. Invite all the SKS and AK shooters as well as I’m sure they will be more than happy to help out motherland Russia. That is three rifle systems against one so for sure the Mauser team is doomed.

You mean the Mauser team #1 with most shooters in their late 60s and early 70s have intimidated the younger Mosin crowd? Maybe it’s all the gray hair and the bifocals that are intimidating and not the Mauser rifle. If the Mosin shooters stay home and don’t want to get counted, I guess you can come up with Mauser team #2 to compete against #1 team?
Old 01-03-2013, 9:24 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
NOTABIKER, please help out Frank below as he is hurting for Mosin shooters.
Notabiker is in SoCal, Josh is back east somewhere, (Indiana I think), so he probably won't make it.

I would come shoot but it is about 4 hours away over a snowy 7000 foot mountain.

I could go either way, I like both Mosins and Mausers.
Old 01-03-2013, 9:26 AM
Calguns Addict

with my 65 year old eyes, i would not help the mossin cause. you will be better off without me.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcon5 View Post
Notabiker is in SoCal, Josh is back east somewhere, (Indiana I think), so he probably won't make it.

I would come shoot but it is about 4 hours away over a snowy 7000 foot mountain.

I could go either way, I like both Mosins and Mausers.
I did offer Josh that if he shoots the match on the 19th and is the overall match winner, I will pay for his plane ticket, hotel and car rental. Well needles to say my offer fell on deaf ear. Scared? Maybe. Shy and don't want to show off? Possibly. I have my own guess that I would keep to myself.

Com on Reno is just 150 miles from Sac Valley you. Come down the mountain and and help out Frank and be counted. I drive to Boomtown just to eat the lobster buffet and drive back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTABIKER View Post
with my 65 year old eyes, i would not help the mossin cause. you will be better off without me.
As I already mentioned, my team is in late 60s and early 70s so you are a young buck compared to Mauser team #1.

Well so far sounds like the Mosin aficionados are a shy bunch? Only one takers Flyin Brian (a Mauser traitor). Lots of post about Mosin on this thread yet no commitment from these individuals?
Old 01-03-2013, 11:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Danny you are coming up here and shoot with us on the 19th? We need as many shooters as possible.
Nope. My free time is too valuable to hang out with a bunch of antique Mauser snobs.

I've got a new HOWA LA .338 WinMag to break/sight in down at Pala -

Stalking and shooting Elk is just a "little" more fun than killing paper.

Tastes better too...

Old 01-03-2013, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Frank, I'll shoot Mosins with you if you provide rifle and ammo.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcon5 View Post
I used to shoot this match more often and I would drive 2.5 hours from South SF Bay Area...more than once a month if I was going to shoot highpower too.

Borrow a Subaru and make the trip.
Old 01-03-2013, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyInSoCal View Post
Nope. My free time is too valuable to hang out with a bunch of antique Mauser snobs.

I've got a new HOWA LA .338 WinMag to break/sight in down at Pala -

Stalking and shooting Elk is just a "little" more fun than killing paper.

Tastes better too...

Not snobs...

We shoot steel.

Sorry can't eat steel.
Old 01-03-2013, 1:25 PM

Sounds like a good time. I might just have to check it out if the Moison Boys can ever get a team togather.
Old 01-03-2013, 6:16 PM
Banned

The match sounds cool but Josh guaranteed he would out shoot NRA. NRA, when are you flying out to Josh's to show him how great a shot you are?
Old 01-03-2013, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTABIKER View Post
Same here. Old eyes and shooting a M38, not known as a 200yd tack driver.
Old 01-03-2013, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backstrap View Post
The match sounds cool but Josh guaranteed he would out shoot NRA. NRA, when are you flying out to Josh's to show him how great a shot you are?
It will be a good match if the Mosin shooters shows up. backstrap, you are putting words in my mouth I never said I was a "great shot" anywhere on my post. If I did go ahead and quote it and post it for everyone to rear please otherwise you are not telling the truth and you should stop that. I even said I am not a good at all. Do you want me to quote that?

What is your excuse for not coming to the match on the 19th? Maybe if you show up we can have a side bet to make it worth your valuable time? You can easily beat me individually as I'm not a good shot plus I could not see that well so this will be a slam dunk for you. However, I am confident that my Mauser team #1 will give the Mosin team a run for their money.

Although Josh has not met me or even know who I am, it was Josh who "promised" he will outshoot me...his words not mine. If Josh will accept my challenge and shoot the match on the 19th and he wins the match, then he needs to invite me wherever his next match is and I'll go with the same arrangement as my challenge. Tell him to put his money where his mouth is.

Come on Mosin, SKS and AK shooters contact Frank to make a team. This will be loads of fun.