Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 03-17-2014, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhawke83 View Post
Op is dead.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Quite right the OP has passed away, but if you had been a bit more observant you might have noted that the link was to a page by brass stacker, the company that was entrusted with carrying on with the project. I bookmarked the link just a few weeks ago.
Old 03-17-2014, 6:09 PM
Banned

I may have to just take this project up and make one..i have all the tooling...
Old 03-17-2014, 6:39 PM

there is a guy that fitted a archangel mag on a mosin and it functions. need wood opened up for clearance.
I want 1 magazine since I live in the land of 10 round maximum infringement.
Old 05-02-2014, 9:05 PM

Please see my post here:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...php?p=14010016

I have emailed Brass Stacker and will be calling them Monday. Meantime, don't try to buy this! I doubt any of you would, but for those who may be new here, this is not out!
Old 07-29-2014, 4:13 PM

Any Brass Stacker updates? I'd love it if someone made these commerically available.
Old 07-31-2014, 9:55 AM

Hello,

I wrote to Brass Stacker when I saw this.

What has been holding them back are springs. They have been unable to find anyone who can make the springs they need and are therefore gearing up to do it themselves.

I gave some ideas a while back as to shortcomings I've seen in current extended mags and some ideas on how to improve them. Steve started laughing because that's exactly what they were looking at.

I'll not go so far as to say this will be an engineering marvel, but with Brass Stacker, they will not release anything that's not 100%. I know this from experience.

I've not bought another brand of extended Mosin magazine simply because I've talked with Steve, who is pretty much PR and marketing, as well as Brass Stackers' gunsmiths. They are all top notch.

I sent them a sight and a trigger setup a while back to check over. It seems we all think along the same lines. It's good to bounce ideas off other gunsmiths from time-to-time.

I digress. Brass Stacker is probably the best of the bunch, and I look forward to their full production magazines. They will be worth it.

Regards,

Josh
Old 07-31-2014, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
What has been holding them back are springs.
Funny. Took me all of a few hours one afternoon to figure out the spring and follower using a common existing spring and parts.

Not too impressed with the brassstaker clunky design and lack of engineering skill from their 'gunsmiths'. But then its obviously nothing of a priority for them.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad 11 View Post
Funny. Took me all of a few hours one afternoon to figure out the spring and follower using a common existing spring and parts.

Not too impressed with the brassstaker clunky design and lack of engineering skill from their 'gunsmiths'. But then its obviously nothing of a priority for them.
Vlad,

Sir, with respect, there are vast differences between gearing up for production and hand-fitting a single version.

The Mosin-Nagant was designed when manual labor and hand fitting were cheap, and the design reflects the need to hand-fit parts.

I make trigger and sear sets, about one per week. Each one requires hand fitting the trigger to the sear, and this is why they come together in the set.

For Brass Stacker, the challenge is not in making a 10-round magazine. The challenge is in designing one that does not have to be fit to an individual rifle.

They have done this. They need parts that are no longer produced, and are therefore having to tool up to produce those parts.

I know how this is. I have literally less than two hours per 80-hour week to prototype. There are a bunch of things I'd love to release. Thus far, I can make them by hand to individual rifles.

This was the original intent of Smith-Sights, but I'm in such high demand that I must mass produce to a point with final fitting coming in at the end of production. (For example, final polishing is done with a a flap cloth on a rotary tool. I had to design the flap cloth from scratch because nobody had one that would work.)

I am one person. Brass Stacker is more than one person, but not much more. They have a bunch of products for a bunch of guns. R&D will naturally take a back seat.

None of us are getting rich doing this, either.

Brass Stacker makes good, solid stuff. Their people are awesome and I really like talking to their head gunsmith. I've seen ideas we've discussed implemented, though I flat have no idea whether they were in the works prior to the conversations.

I claim no ownership of ideas kicked around, and wouldn't have the time to produce them anyway.

Please believe me when I say that the folks at Brass Stacker are feeling the pressure just like anyone would.

I like to let folks know that my customers are not numbers with orders attached to them. With Brass Stacker, I get the same notion. I am a person. When we've coordinated products, we use customers' names if the customer is already known to both of us.

They's good folks and will have the magazine out when it's perfect.

Regards,

Josh

Last edited by Josh Smith; 08-09-2014 at 4:38 AM..
Old 08-08-2014, 11:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Agreed with Josh. A lot of us have wanted mags like this for some time. Let's give 'em time to make it right and gear up for production. Hey, we've waited this long; a little longer isn't going to hurt us. I'd rather have it right than have it half-a**ed.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 04-05-2015, 2:39 PM

Sorry to bring this to the fore again, but just curious if I happened to miss any updates from Brass Stacker in another thread by chance? I ran a search and could not find anything. I also checked their website. Were the in house creation of the springs too much for the project to be profitable? Was it just not going to work and would not function on a wide variety of rifles? Has this been put on the back burner indefinitely? It's been 8 months since the last post here. Anyway, that's all, still waiting for you to take my money hand over fist. Happy Easter Sunday to everyone.
Old 04-05-2015, 4:08 PM

How dare you inquire... you have to be patient. (Didn't you know?)... It's what everyone is being told.
Old 04-06-2015, 4:43 PM

Or you can make an archangel magazine work. http://flic.kr/p/ryaFqb

Sent from my sphincter

NRA Member
Old 06-05-2016, 10:02 AM

So...is this project completely dead? I can't find anything anywhere on the internet about it past 2014. Shame to see such a great product die, especially since the only other similar product is hideous and made out of injection-molded plastic.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktology View Post
So...is this project completely dead? I can't find anything anywhere on the internet about it past 2014. Shame to see such a great product die, especially since the only other similar product is hideous and made out of injection-molded plastic.
Have heard nothing about this venture in two years. Too bad.

On the plus side I give you major style points for making a necrothread your first post.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:42 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktology View Post
The designer Datamancer died a few years ago. His design was sold to another company who tried to market it with limited success.
Old 06-10-2016, 6:14 AM

He was a truly talented creator. His custom keyboards and computers were works of art.

http://www.datamancer.net/
Old 10-27-2016, 11:07 AM

I just ordered a couple of these... I'll let you guys know how it goes.

HOWLING RAVEN MOSIN NAGANT 10 ROUND MAGAZINE EXTENSION
Currently $39.95

http://www.howlingraven.com/Mosin-Na...ion-p/hrme.htm
Old 12-16-2016, 7:54 AM
Veteran Member

CAnt believe this thread is still going! Also sad to hear he has passed.

@bellts how are those howling raven mags?

www.appleseedinfo.org

"Everyone has a plan, till they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
Old 12-16-2016, 9:06 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Why do people want to bastardize/Bubba their Mosins with an add on magazine? 5 rounds, good enough for Soviet conscripts, good enough for me!