Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 07-11-2019, 2:54 PM

Default Henry Pump 22lr experience?

Does anyone have any experience with the

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/pump...octagon-rifle/

Henry Pump Action 22lr?

I am considering one, now that I have a 590 and all. I came to really appreciate the pump action even more than the lever action on being able to stay on target!
Old 07-11-2019, 3:50 PM
Veteran Member

What I read the Henry pump is harder than Remington 572 (pump action, $100 more), which I never shoot. But when I shoot the Henry pump, I think the pump is manageable. After couple hundred rounds freehand standing my pump arm feels tired not because the pump is hard but because the weight of the rifle. (I am a small size dude )

Edit: Just acquired the Remington 572, the 572 pump is lighter than the Henry, but if somebody said that the Remington 572 pump so light that you can pump with two fingers, that’s a lie ! you must put some effort to pump to eject the shell. The Remington 572 is weight lighter than the Henry but does not help much, after 300 rds of free hand my pump arm feels tired also. The Henry octagon barrel looks better than the Remington round barrel. The disassemble of Remington is "a *****" particular when the rifle is new, you have to use FORCE to pull the barrel out receiver and you can not twist the barrel while pulling. Accuracy both rifle are the same, I am a lousy shooter anyway or better say that "it's the Indian not the arrow". Final words: I like both of them.

Last edited by newbie1234; 08-23-2019 at 10:26 PM..
Old 07-12-2019, 6:40 AM

I've had my Henry pump for over a year and a half. Maybe 3000 rounds thru it. The action was a little stiff at first, but loosened up with use. It is accurate and fun to shoot. No problems . It eats whatever I feed it. Mostly CCI SV.
Old 07-13-2019, 7:24 AM

I don’t have a Henry, but I do have a Winchester. I am a fan of the pump action. It’s just plain fun to shoot. Maybe the most fun .22 I have. I’d say that Henry has a fine reputation for quality and if that one has caught your eye, there’s small chance you will be disappointed.
Old 07-14-2019, 8:11 AM
Vendor/Retailer

I purchased the Henry pump to complement my Henry lever action that the kids like shooting so much. The pump action is much stiffer, so much that the younger ones get tired of it quickly compared to the lever. Adults will not have the same issue.
No, I don't have that many rounds through it (less than 500) so it may just need more usage to break in.
Old 07-14-2019, 9:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Friend has that gun. I’ve never fired it but it felt long, heavy and not easy to pump. He bought it for his grandkids. I remember thinking an adult would have to pump it and put on sandbags for the kids.

I have the lever action youth model - 16” barrel, light, easy to work the action and enjoyable gun to shoot. CCI quiets make less noise than an old gamo pellet gun I have.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:21 AM
Calguns Addict

I have had a Remington 572 for 45 years and it has the slickest action. Pumping the 572 action is effortless. The rifle has never jammed, and the port allows loading single rounds by just dropping one into the port. It is reasonably accurate, but Anschutz rifles establish standard of accuracy for a .22 LR. If you are looking for a pump action 22, don't pass up looking at the 572.

I have never fired the Henry pump, but I like its Winchester style stock, hammer and bolt.
Old 07-14-2019, 2:35 PM

I enjoy my Henry pump, only about 200 rounds through it. Action is a little stiff but not too bad.
Old 08-10-2019, 2:34 AM
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Henry feels too heavy to hold. I have a Rossi 62 carbine 16 inch barrel and that is super light and maneuverable.
Old 08-11-2019, 3:24 AM

i love my ruger precision rimfire but that CZ is beautiful
Old 08-19-2019, 11:43 AM

I bought the Henry pump octagon in 22mag for my son a couple years ago for his 30th birthday.
We both really like it albeit expensive to shoot. Took about a hundred rounds for it to smooth out but once it did, it's tons of fun. Should have bought the 22lr, the 22mag was an impulse buy.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

"No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms"
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-05-2019, 5:21 PM

I have had a Henry pump, and it is my favorite .22 rifle to shoot. I haven't shot any other .22 pumps, so I don't know the difference. Very accurate little .22. I mostly shoot Aguila Colibri in .22 short. I shoot varmints in my backyard, and can hit them off my fence. Once, I was shooting a varmint out of my Apricot tree, and my neighbor was looking out of his two-story window and wanted to know why I was shooting the little critters. I told him that they kept eating my apricots, and I wouldn't get any if I just let them be. Because the Colibri is so quiet, he thought I was shooting an airgun because of the pump action. I just kept shooting.
Old 10-05-2019, 9:43 PM

I have one that I bought for rimfire cowboy silhouette competition, it’s super accurate, has a decent trigger, and the sights are good too. I have ran a sheet load of rounds through it, but I have had a few failures to fire lately, mostly to the action being dirty.
It’s a pain to clean properly, having to take the stocks off, and looks quite agricultural inside. Beautiful outside though.
Definitely recommend...
Old 10-05-2019, 9:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by usr1987 View Post
Really sharp tool they used on that muzzle face...
Old 10-06-2019, 6:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHeavyHitter View Post
Hacksaw?
Old 10-06-2019, 8:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

How is the accuracy? The Golden Boy .22LR has better accuracy than most of Henry's centerfire models. Check out the review in American Rifleman mag.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHeavyHitter View Post
You would think they would use a better picture ....

MLC, First 3