Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmvan View Post
Another vote for Howard Leights, but IMO, I think any electronic ear pro is going to be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The difference between various electronic muffs can be significant. Check this video out:

Of course, Pro Ears isn't the only one to have this technology, but many electronic muffs don't.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
Old 11-10-2018, 10:30 PM

About a year ago I switched to Muffs that were designed specifically for heavy industrial use. They carry a 35nrr which was 33% better than the old 28nrr Muffs that I used previously.

They're stored away right now or I'd list the name, but I did get them from Amazon.

My wife is already hard of hearing for other reasons, so she doubles up with 32nrr foam plugs.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:08 PM

I have both MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X and Peltor Comtac III, and I like both
Old 11-11-2018, 1:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummykid View Post
I have both MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X and Peltor Comtac III, and I like both
But if you could only have one, which would it be and why?

Fighter Pilot
Old 11-11-2018, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtlaw View Post
Well stated. I learned the hard way. Now I can't even hear my wife so well.
This could be a good or a bad thing. Hehehe.
Old 11-11-2018, 9:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofeugene View Post
...Another muff I'm tempted to try are those from Pro Ear.

http://proears.com

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's tried both the Sardines (darn spell checker!) and Pro Ear. Pros/cons of each...
@sonofeugene, where are you located? Maybe someone can do a meet up with you at a range to give you a chance to try out their Pro Ears and they could try your Sordins.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to Earth View Post
@sonofeugene, where are you located? Maybe someone can do a meet up with you at a range to give you a chance to try out their Pro Ears and they could try your Sordins.
If it can be arranged, that would be nice. I usually shoot at Reeds. But I could go to Metcalf, Sunnyvale or even Los Altos up on Skyline. I've had a look but never shot at Metcalf. Indoors might be a better test, though, and Reeds is closest to me. I work for myself, so taking time off during the week is very doable.

Might even bring my avatar with me.

Or maybe the Santa Clara Valley Rifle Club. Never been but always wanted to check it out.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Last edited by sonofeugene; 11-11-2018 at 12:41 PM..
Old 11-11-2018, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekkthree View Post
i've been getting by with some cheapo muffs from ebay.
Hear that loud squealing? That's my ears. When I was a young whippersnapper, hearing protection was for pu55ies. My, how things have changed. Now it's ok for real men to wear protection. And real men don't skimp.

I wear both plugs and amplified muffs. The plugs are the yellow 3M foam cylinders. I tried some cheap ones from Harbor Freight, and they were AWFUL. I threw out the rest of the giant box of earplugs. On top of the 3M plugs, I wear a pair of Howard Leight amplified muffs off Amazon. They're quite affordable compared to others.

The muffs over the plugs REALLY quiets things down, even when I'm shooting loud guns indoors. But the COOL thing is, I can turn up the amplification, and I can hear people talking better than I can if we're sitting in a normal room. I'm almost tempted to start wearing earplugs and amplification muffs every day at home and at work. It's a GREAT setup for shooting--highly recommended.