Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 12-02-2019, 9:23 PM

Default 10/22 custom. Build or buy?

My Xmas gift to myself is to start a custom 10/22 build.

Soo many options and when I look at fully built ones they look appealing and some are cheaper if you add all the prices for parts, tax shipping..etc.

Anybody build and should of just bought? Or vise versa? Pros. Cons?

If I decide to build will be getting a sub $200 base model from like Turners or Big 5
Old 12-02-2019, 9:34 PM
Veteran Member

Best to look for a 10/22 that is already built by someone with quality parts like Kidd or Volquartsen and save yourself lots of money. Building a custom 10/22 isn't cheap and if you have to pay a gunsmith to put the parts in, then it's even more.
Old 12-02-2019, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRH View Post

Soo many options and when I look at fully built ones they look appealing and some are cheaper if you add all the prices for parts, tax shipping..etc.

If I decide to build will be getting a sub $200 base model from like Turners or Big 5
I started with a discontinued Target model that I got on sale. I put it in a Magpul stock and got a set of sights from Nodak Spud. Topped it off with a Vortex 4-16x52 with mildot reticle. I clean the 200 meter rail with it.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2019, 9:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've done both, and it's gratifying to build one;

brownells for receiver, midway for barrel/trigger/stock/bolt/ch/mag release

only pain was paying FFL $50 for transfer. if you buy a stock 10/22 and
upgrade it, you'll have a bunch of extra parts (that you may never use)

1A - 2A = -1A

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunndeal View Post
Stop digging.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:17 PM

Fun to build. Would recommend!

Doing it again, I'd build from stripped receiver, not whole rifle.

If you decide to buy I have one I'd sell— Ruger receiver, Kidd barrel, Hornet trigger, Nikon BDC glass. & Hogue stock (OK, but there are better). LMK.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:20 PM

they are easy and fun to build.

build it!
Old 12-02-2019, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportfit View Post
Fun to build. Would recommend!

Doing it again, I'd build from stripped receiver, not whole rifle.
This

$1k, give or take, will yield a fantastic rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Shooter
To me, it was a fist-fight, except that I did not counter-attack.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:07 PM

Be careful, you'll end up with a few "extra" parts, and the next thing you know, they turn into another build!

There are so many options available for the 10/22, and the platform is fun to put together. I started by modding a Black Friday special that was cheap, and had to come home... then some parts pop up on ebay or the marketplace here... and.... yeah, kinda like potato chips. I've put together a "few", most recently one around the Archangel QBD stock just because it seemed interesting!

No matter what, you need a receiver, either buy a new one on sale cheap or used complete rifle, or those Brownells ones aren't bad for the $$, buy a couple to lower the cost after combining the DROS if you can find an FFL to do it. No matter what, the receiver tends to be where you have to spend a bit to get your "core". Takedown stripped receivers (limits your barrel choices a bit) are also available out there. Then you can collect the rest of the parts to match your fancy.

Stocks come in many variations from standard Ruger to bullpup, folding stocks, pistol grips, you name it - rimfire is not (currently) subject to all the "scary gun" laws, so you can have a bit more fun there. Be aware that aftermarket receivers may not fit in some of the more "cosmetic" stock options because of the shape or size of the top of the receiver. Most stock designs won't pose a problem.

Barrels present another wide range of options, from stock Ruger to ultralight bull, threaded or non-threaded, various lengths, sight or not options, sometimes custom colors.

Bolt and trigger group are anything from stock Ruger to high $$ custom options... there are oversize trigger group pins (good cheap upgrade), extended mag releases, custom bolt buffers (I like the vyton+ steel ones, again good cheap upgrade), and so on..

It's a fun "project", there aren't too many places you can screw up if you've ever played with Legos or Tinkertoys. You can pretty much buy a custom or upgrade part for everything and build a working "not a Ruger" on the Ruger design. It all comes down to what you want to build, how "custom" you are wanting, and your budget (I've never gone over around $4-500, but I buy used and on ebay when good stuff pops up).

I'd probably say "go for it" and build, you'll learn a lot, and have a rifle that is your own. Or start with a Black Friday special and just do some upgrades to taste!

JUST DO IT!

Last edited by DB>; 12-02-2019 at 11:10 PM..
Old 12-03-2019, 5:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRH View Post

Seems to me that you are jumping in not knowing what you want your 10/22 to do since you didn't describe any particulars.

You can spend $$$ modding or buying a custom 10/22 and it still will not outshoot a good 22 bolt action that costs hundreds less.

So unless you're aiming to make .24" holes at 25 yds it's best to just get a stock 10/22 and a BX or a Brimstone trigger mod for an enjoyable plinker.

I have a Magpul Takedown model with a BX trigger and a heavily modded one with a TacSol barrel and Clark trigger mod. Both are fun to use.
Old 12-03-2019, 6:44 AM
Veteran Member

$55 stripped reciever at Brownells! I just bought one.
Old 12-03-2019, 7:02 AM

I have a T/CR22 on layaway at Buds right now.

I was going to buy a new Ruder on sale at Turners, they are on sale right now for $189. But adding a Magpul stock, charging handle and other stuff was far beyond the $300 for the T/C. It comes with a Magpul stock, billet receiver, stainless steel bolt, integrated rail, red dot (cheap one) and a case. One cool feature of the T/C is a hole in the back of the receiver so you can clean breach to muzzle.

Forgot to add it is a 10/22 clone and most parts interchange.
Old 12-03-2019, 7:19 AM

+1 for stripped receiver from Brownells. Much better than buying a stock 10/22 and throwing all the parts away. That is, if you are building it yourself.

If your goal is to get a quality rifle there are much cheaper options than building a custom 10/22. Buying an already built "custom" 10/22, or looking at other 22 rifles are your best bet. The point of building it is not to save money, but the fun of doing it yourself.
Old 12-03-2019, 7:46 AM

Enjoy your trip down the rabbit hole... well meet you at the bottom.

Id recommend buying a cheap 10/22 and swapping out the trigger group first. Youll see the most improvement in accuracy with an upgraded trigger group. From there you can customize to your hearts content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2019, 7:54 AM
Veteran Member

If it were me, I would have a long talk with Kidd, and get exactly what I want with them building it.
Old 12-03-2019, 9:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Why not just buy a Thompson TCR22 and be done with it?