Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

View Poll Results: What are your feelings about Front Sight?
Great Training for Beginners Only. 86 8.49%
Great Training Beginner and Advanced. 679 67.03%
The Quality of Training is Going Down Hill. 23 2.27%
I paid too much for my Membership! 45 4.44%
They will go out of business this year! 25 2.47%
Don't want anything to do with them! 155 15.30%
Voters: 1013. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2021, 10:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon1272 View Post
Too bad ammo prices suck right now. In Pahrump today and the weather is awesome and I’m not at front sight.
Let me guess, you either will need a set of new tires or have a new mortgage by next week

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 02-13-2021, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1834 View Post
Had a friend up in Canada try and order 9mm - same problem as here - out of stock. So your info isn't correct.
Well then, I guess that the emails I received, and related websites (more than one), also are incorrect. A current example:

https://www.firearmsoutletcanada.com...NAc2hhdy5jYSJ9
Old 02-13-2021, 3:16 PM

Well, I guess you are correct and I was just relaying what I was told from my friend in Winsor - I'll pass the info to him.
Old 02-13-2021, 8:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
Let me guess, you either will need a set of new tires or have a new mortgage by next week

Ha. Did a couple of days out in Death Valley. Looking forward to marks man in April. My youngest will do the kids class for the first time. Paying double the ammo cost so my older son can shoot hurts but it is worth it.
Old 02-13-2021, 9:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon1272 View Post
Ha. Did a couple of days out in Death Valley. Looking forward to marks man in April. My youngest will do the kids class for the first time. Paying double the ammo cost so my older son can shoot hurts but it is worth it.
Definitely worth it!

Is your older son taking Marksmanship with you?

Old 02-13-2021, 9:20 PM
Veteran Member

Yes. My older son will take it with me. I need him to DG something so I can move on and take advanced classes. He really enjoyed marksman last time and the ammo requirements are much less. Looking forward to it.
Old 02-16-2021, 3:59 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Just completed a 4 Day Defensive Handgun course. The ammo count has been reduced to 450rds so about a 30% reduction. More dry practice but most new and beginner students will probably never notice the difference and it should be beneficial to them. About 500 students on the property over the holiday weekend. They forecast ammo to go over $1 a round in the next 3 months and may need to go to defensive rounds (hollow points) as FMJ is in very short supply. By the way, Brad Ackman is back on a full-time basis.
Old 02-16-2021, 8:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I love winter classes. In January we had 4 students with 3 instructors in Rifle Skill Builder.

So Brad Ackman is back from retirement? Or back from teaching in FS Alaska for the winter?

I wonder if they’ll allow us to shoot .22lr rifle for Practical Rifle. They say you can take Practical Rifle with a 9mm carbine, you just can’t get G or DG for the test.

Old 02-16-2021, 9:27 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Default reloads

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysnake View Post
FYI, just talked to the Ammo Bunker folks and 9mm is $.80 cents a round plus tax!

I know reloads are prohibited, but does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not I’d get in trouble for shooting mine? (I’ve reloaded over 50,000 rounds and have NEVER had one that has been a problem)

Thanks...
If you are shooting obvious reloads... like 175 grain SWC lead in a 45- that would be bad- fmj reload- probably not noticed

If you have a baggie of 115-124 grain reloads with copper jacketed 9mm- no one will notice...

my guess is many shoot a mix of ammo in the classes...

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson

4 million DROS checks in Dec 2020- time to take new gun owners to the range

Last edited by hermosabeach; 02-16-2021 at 9:54 AM..
Old 02-16-2021, 4:33 PM

I want to start on the rifle classes but I don't want to shoot what I have- may have to wait or may have to inquire about 22!!
Old 02-17-2021, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezcalfud View Post
I want to start on the rifle classes but I don't want to shoot what I have- may have to wait or may have to inquire about 22!!

RENT people sell certificates on ebay
Old 02-17-2021, 9:55 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:

So Brad Ackman is back from retirement? Or back from teaching in FS Alaska for the winter?

Brad is back at FS Nevada actively involved with the day-to-day operations. Making updates and improvements to the curriculum, ammo shortage, round count changes, etc.
Old 02-17-2021, 10:30 PM

I was out for 4D Practical Rifle over the weekend. Overall a good time, great group of students, excellent instruction as always. Had 26 stay to the end.
1 DG, probably 18 G, and the remaining few getting the participation trophy. I missed DG by a couple points and was bummed but I suppose it wasn't bad for my first time taking it.

Round count has been reduced about 30% to 360. Some of the changes are very obvious they're just trying to fill time you'd otherwise be shooting and feel like a waste.

I wasn't happy about he reduced round count. We didn't find out about it until we arrived on the range. They should have sent an email out informing us and they still haven't updated the ammo requirements page of their site. I do understand their logic but would like to have known about the changes and been able to decide whether or not to attend.

Almost the entire class agreed that they wanted to shoot the normal amount of rounds. It would be nice if they made it possible to choose how much you shoot during the class or offer both the new and old versions and you can schedule the variant you prefer.

I'd been planning on taking 2D Rifle Marksmanship Skill Builder in April but will wait a while and see if things change or go back to normal.

I also notice Brad on property over the weekend, saw him in the restroom and in passing a few times. The man, the myth, the legend is back :P.
Old 02-18-2021, 7:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxr View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezcalfud View Post
RENT people sell certificates on ebay
I think Mezcalfud was talking about saving his rifle caliber ammo and wants to know more about shooting .22lr in class instead.

Mezcalfud, please post if you find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRG View Post
I was out for 4D Practical Rifle over the weekend. Overall a good time, great group of students, excellent instruction as always. Had 26 stay to the end.
1 DG, probably 18 G, and the remaining few getting the participation trophy. I missed DG by a couple points and was bummed but I suppose it wasn't bad for my first time taking it.

Round count has been reduced about 30% to 360. Some of the changes are very obvious they're just trying to fill time you'd otherwise be shooting and feel like a waste.

I wasn't happy about he reduced round count. We didn't find out about it until we arrived on the range. They should have sent an email out informing us and they still haven't updated the ammo requirements page of their site. I do understand their logic but would like to have known about the changes and been able to decide whether or not to attend.

Almost the entire class agreed that they wanted to shoot the normal amount of rounds. It would be nice if they made it possible to choose how much you shoot during the class or offer both the new and old versions and you can schedule the variant you prefer.

I'd been planning on taking 2D Rifle Marksmanship Skill Builder in April but will wait a while and see if things change or go back to normal.

I also notice Brad on property over the weekend, saw him in the restroom and in passing a few times. The man, the myth, the legend is back :P.
I guess I was lucky my 2D Rifle SB was still on the old schedule. I understand the desire to save ammo, but most go there to train. If I was short on ammo, I’d sit out on some iterations.

Old 02-20-2021, 11:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by acegunnr View Post
Brad is back at FS Nevada actively involved with the day-to-day operations. Making updates and improvements to the curriculum, ammo shortage, round count changes, etc.
Great to see

PM me for information on low-priced Front Sight Memberships!
Old 02-21-2021, 4:12 AM

When I took he handgun course a few years ago, the instructors joked about a Benelli handgun ( it wasn’t their favorite), but I don’t remember why.
What was the issue with Benelli handguns, and which model?
Old 02-21-2021, 9:14 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56huck View Post
When I took he handgun course a few years ago, the instructors joked about a Benelli handgun ( it wasn’t their favorite), but I don’t remember why.
What was the issue with Benelli handguns, and which model?
Are you sure it wasn't a Beretta? They usually like to make fun of the Beretta 92FS shooters.
Old 02-21-2021, 9:23 AM

My mistake. It was Beretta
What is the issue with the 92FS?
Old 02-21-2021, 9:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56huck View Post
My mistake. It was Beretta
What is the issue with the 92FS?
I've taken a few classes with a 92FS and an M9A1 which is basically a 92FS with a rail and a few other pretty small differences, but essentially the same firearm.

Especially for the new shooter, it's a tougher gun to run for a few reasons. The DA/SA trigger which has a fairly heavy trigger pull in DA mode means you have to master two trigger pulls instead of one. Heavier trigger pull makes it harder to have proper trigger control and after that DA pull many will mash the much lighter trigger pull of the SA and pull that follow up shot down and/or off to the side. Once you figure out the DA/SA of the Beretta though, it's a VERY accurate shooter.

Next would be the safety/decocker. Especially in a class like the 4DDHG class you will be flipping that safety off and on and decocking A LOT. Couple that with the fact that the safety is VERY easy to accidentally flip on during malfunction drills, it could cost you your life in a real-world situation if you clear a malfunction and point in, decide to shoot and get the loudest sound you'll ever hear...which will be a click instead of a bang. I have also taken a 1911 to a FS class (2-day Skill Builder) and it was a bit of a PITA always having to flip that safety off and on, especially flipping it off while pointing in and just adds another element you need to be aware of. Adding the Beretta decocker only kit and getting rid of the safety was a game changer when using a 92FS/M9A1 in the class. If you hit it while you're clearing a malfunction it's spring loaded so the lever just pups back up. No safety to interfere and make the firearm inoperable during a time when you might need it most.

Lastly, the open slide design means you really have to be aware of where you place your hand because it's pretty easy to get the meat of your palm caught in the slide, and let me tell you, it does not feel good. I had it happen to me once in class and once at home during dry-fire practice when practicing clearing malfunctions. Had a FS instructor use my firearm to show me something and he got his hand bit by the slide as well. Had a friend who didn't really have any experience with a Beretta 92FS rack the slide on mine and got his hand bit.

It's just not the easiest and most ergonomic gun to run in a class especially if you're new. I personally don't regret running that gun in the first couple classes I took there. After the first class I made some modifications and upgrades. Now I can run that gun in my sleep. But with that said the next time I'll be out there (which will be in a few weeks hopefully) I'll be bringing my Glock 17 and Springfield XD as a backup.

I got teased during one class to the point where they were calling me Riggs and the person I was paired up with Murtaugh.

I've only been involved in shooting and owning firearms for a little over a year. I received a Graduate certificate in a 2-day Skill Builder and was using a 1911 which was my third class taken at FS. Even though I mentioned I'll be bringing my Glock to the next class, one of my goals is to one day DG with the Beretta. I'm confident I'll be able to do that now, but in all fairness my M9A1 is far from stock. Lighter hammer spring, decocker kit, oversized Beretta mag release and I installed a LTT trigger job in a bag.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 02-21-2021 at 10:07 AM..
Old 02-21-2021, 9:55 AM

Very good description
Thank you
Old 02-21-2021, 9:59 AM

yup, staff always makes sure to point out where the first aid kit is for the Beretta shooters as they have sharp edges and they'll likely need bandaids at some point during the course.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:18 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi54 View Post
yup, staff always makes sure to point out where the first aid kit is for the Beretta shooters as they have sharp edges and they'll likely need bandaids at some point during the course.
They do the same for the 1911 shooters.

Seems they don’t make fun of the Glock shooters. But that’s ok, the real shooters do. :-)

For the record, I’ve DG’d with 3 different 1911’s, G19 and G43. Not a Glock hater at all. Just hate their triggers. :-)
Old 02-21-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR15fan View Post
They do the same for the 1911 shooters.

Seems they don’t make fun of the Glock shooters. But that’s ok, the real shooters do. :-)

For the record, I’ve DG’d with 3 different 1911’s, G19 and G43. Not a Glock hater at all. Just hate their triggers. :-)
I'll take a stock Glock trigger over a stock Beretta trigger any day, but nothing compares to a 1911 trigger. Only thing that tore my hand up on a 1911 was the rear sight, but that firearm had a pretty large target sight with fairly sharp edges. Tore the end of my pinky nail off. Not a big deal or anything a new rear sight and de-horn couldn't solve.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 02-21-2021 at 10:46 AM..
Old 02-21-2021, 10:57 AM

AR15fan: those darn instructors always poking fun of students guns.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:59 AM
Sarariman Shuta
CGN Contributor

I am not sure if this is the right forum; but, I mean, who knows Pahrump more than us FS students?

Anyway - I am about around a decade or so to retirement. In all honesty, I really wouldn't want to retire in Komiefornia.

... while I was checking retirement stuff, as would be expected, ads started popping up... which prompted me to take a look at Pahrump!

Land prices are so like!?!

So, has anyone actually thought about buying a lot in Pahrump, maybe, in those planned neighborhoods with the intent of having a house built upon retirement?

_
Old 02-21-2021, 11:06 AM

It is difficult, for me, to watch the latest reality video. It appears to me the lady pulls out a gun from her waist. Not really sure though. They don't mention it.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:19 AM

TeamAllen: just went looking for it and you're right. It does sort of appear she produces a firearm but it's hard to see.
Did any of the news stories mention an additional firearm?
Old 02-21-2021, 11:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
I am not sure if this is the right forum; but, I mean, who knows Pahrump more than us FS students?

Anyway - I am about around a decade or so to retirement. In all honesty, I really wouldn't want to retire in Komiefornia.

... while I was checking retirement stuff, as would be expected, ads started popping up... which prompted me to take a look at Pahrump!

So, has anyone actually thought about buying a lot in Pahrump, maybe, in those planned neighborhoods with the intent of having a house built upon retirement?

_
We briefly looked at Pahrump but quickly ruled it out. Our main reason was that it was quite far from any major medical centers. I believe most Pahrumpians go to Vegas for speciality medical care. Not that we are getting demented and feeble, but the fact is that aging is a fact of retirement life.

While it is true that Vegas is only 40 minutes away, when, someday when you are in your 80s, that 40 minute drive becomes a major impediment. Add to that the rush-hour traffic problems when these Covid restrictions are lifted.

Of course you would never know how the community would grow and what kind of medical and other amenities would be in 10 years, but I somehow do not see Pahrump as a quickly growing community, however.

The weather is also a bit rough in the summertime.

Having Front Sight within 15 minutes of driving is surely a plus. What is awesome is also the fact that Nye County is very red and is a 2A sanctuary county as opposed to Clark county. If you have family in Southern California, however, living in Pahrump would make you that much closer.

Old 02-21-2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAllen View Post
It is difficult, for me, to watch the latest reality video. It appears to me the lady pulls out a gun from her waist. Not really sure though. They don't mention it.
Quote:
TeamAllen: just went looking for it and you're right. It does sort of appear she produces a firearm but it's hard to see.
Did any of the news stories mention an additional firearm?
She pulls out her cell phone and says something about taping this or going live or, something.

Old 02-21-2021, 12:53 PM
Sarariman Shuta
CGN Contributor

Quote:
We briefly looked at Pahrump but quickly ruled it out. Our main reason was that it was quite far from any major medical centers. I believe most Pahrumpians go to Vegas for speciality medical care. Not that we are getting demented and feeble, but the fact is that aging is a fact of retirement life.

Thanks for the response @beanz2... I guess a little more research and analysis is needed; but, I think I have the time to sort it out until kids start college.

_
Old 02-22-2021, 11:29 AM

From someone who has been retired 26 years this is what I found out. I retired pretty early, really early but don't want to rub it in. Good old Corporate world did me a favor.

Need to look at states that are tax friendly to retired folks.

Good medical facilities is a must.

Climate is another, cold and snow don't go anymore but a picture is nice.

Gun friendly is another must.

A retirement community is a plus if it has a golf course and a club house with amenities. Depends on your life style - the woods is OK too with know one around.

The one biggest thing is no big bills, car payments or mortgages.
You need disposable $$$ to have fun.

Could be more but thats my 2 cents. Work hard and put it away and thanks for paying Social Security it supports my shooting habit.

Good luck!
Old 02-22-2021, 9:11 PM

Quote:

_
I have! I figured if I play my cards right I could retire early-ish and call Pahrump my base of operations, including instructing at FS to make some money on the side, while I go gallivanting around the world. When comes time to really get old and slow down, then move to someplace more traditional for retirement (Florida?)
Old 02-23-2021, 6:03 AM

Quote:

_
I looked a buying a house by the golf course several years back. The plan was for a VRBO so I could rent it to FS students and offset the costs while having a place to stay in NV. I passed because FS was building a hotel. You can get a lot of house or land for your money there, but you need to research the right spot.
Old 02-23-2021, 7:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBay Shooter View Post
I looked a buying a house by the golf course several years back. The plan was for a VRBO so I could rent it to FS students and offset the costs while having a place to stay in NV. I passed because FS was building a hotel. You can get a lot of house or land for your money there, but you need to research the right spot.
I wonder if you’d done that how many holes in the wall you’d have to patch every month from NDs LOL

I never looked into it, but from room rates hotels charge around Pahrump, and the expected occupancy rate of your VRBO, I wonder if the rent would cover your mortgage, management and insurance.

What we really need are rentable storage lockers for standard cap magazines for Californians and other ban states and a place to accept ammo shipments. Something like a postal office with lockers but is open early before class and closes way after class.

Old 02-23-2021, 8:15 AM

Beanz2
when I looked at doing it, there were 6 good houses to rent via VRBO in Pahrump. Another couple that were less than nice and a couple of trailers. Every good VRBO including the one that I stayed at several times were booked at least 20 days out of the month when FS was open. They were not booked during the summer to the same level, but did have some reservations. The average price was between 80-100 / night. Some of those same houses are on VRBO for between 229 and 300. The average cost of the home was between 260 and 325k, depending on age, number of bedrooms and location. You might not make a lot of money, but I think you could cover your costs.
Old 02-23-2021, 2:46 PM

How much ammo is needed for the 2 and 4 day rifle course. Thanks
Old 02-23-2021, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msat10 View Post
How much ammo is needed for the 2 and 4 day rifle course. Thanks
Rifle (Minimum caliber 5.56mm*)
2-Day Practical Rifle: 200 rounds
4-Day Practical Rifle: 500 rounds

https://www.frontsight.com/firearms-...o-required.asp

I would take that much ammunition with you but know that Front Sight is in the process of updating the curriculum due to the current ammo shortage to reduce the round count accordingly. (approx 30% reduction)
Old 02-23-2021, 6:36 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Rifle (Minimum caliber 5.56mm*)
2-Day Practical Rifle: 200 rounds
4-Day Practical Rifle: 500 rounds

https://www.frontsight.com/firearms-...o-required.asp

I would take that much ammunition with you but know that Front Sight is in the process of updating the curriculum due to the current ammo shortage to reduce the round count accordingly. (approx 30% reduction)
Over President's day weekend, Feb 12, they reduced the round count across the board by 30%. I was in the 4 Day Handgun and the round count was reduced to 450rds. LRG posted that he was in 4 Day Practical Rifle and the round count was reduced to 360 rds.

Front Sight Ammo bunker will only sell you enough to cover your course. They were selling 30rd baggies of ammo to those taking the 1 day CCW course.
Old 02-24-2021, 8:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBay Shooter View Post
...I passed because FS was building a hotel...
What ever happened to that? I think I bought the "hotel membership" around several years ago...