Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 01-18-2021, 5:06 PM

Default Almost drew my CCW today

Since the weather where I'm at was actually nice today, I went for a ride on my bike to run an errand. The ride was really nice, and made me remember why I love my Shadow.

Anyway, got back to the house, neighbor across the street was going through his safe in his garage with the garage door up. A woman with him (I presume his wife, could've been someone else) picked up a rifle to look through the optic, and aimed it across the street in my direction. I proceeded to dump my adrenaline, **** a brick, and my hand dived into my vest pocket for my CCW.

She then drops the rifle, which is weird, then picks up another to aim it in my direction. I yell at her not to do that, and she immediately complies. I take a moment to secure my bike, also giving me time to calm down. Once I had, walked across the street to calmly explain why I yelled at her. She was nice, and said "I didn't see you there, I'm sorry."

I could've pressed the issue by pointing out the other three walls of the garage, but I took the apology for what it was and went back to my house. I would hope the guy at the safe would explain further.

FFS, there's literally only four rules to this!
Old 01-18-2021, 5:14 PM

That sure would get anyone's adrenaline flowing!

There's some weird feeling you get, staring down the business end of a gun - even one you know is clear. It gets me every time.

Hopefully she learned something important today. There are some mistakes you only do once...

Good on you for keeping your head, both literally and figuratively!
Old 01-18-2021, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtus View Post
I could've pressed the issue by pointing out the other three walls of the garage
Bullets go through walls. Multiple walls.
Old 01-18-2021, 8:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalRefuge View Post
There's some weird feeling you get, staring down the business end of a gun - even one you know is clear. It gets me every time.
(Looking down the business end of my gun.) All I see is darkness.
2.5" Smith & Wesson Model 66
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Colt Series 70 1911
Sig Sauer West German P228
Glock Gen5 19/17/34 MOS
Old 01-19-2021, 12:16 AM
Veteran Member

Exactly, I don't like looking down the barrel of any gun, even the one I'm cleaning, knowing full well its clear.
Old 01-20-2021, 8:21 PM

Relax a little bit more, don't be so jumpy. So you don't know your neighbor very well and you are on a bike in the street when someone picks up a gun (rifle) and aims it in your direction. That would make me nervous too I admit. However, I think my first move would have been to pedal faster. My handgun shooting on a bike at 70 yards is no match for a a person in a stable atmosphere with a rifle at that distance. Better for me to get out of there by pedaling faster, than to take my hand off the handle-bar, and reach for my handgun. Just me. I'm not talking just getting gone.
Old 01-20-2021, 8:36 PM
Veteran Member

Rule #1: All guns are always loaded.
Rule #2: Don't point the business end at anything that you don't intend to destroy.
Rule #3: Keep your finger off the trigger until you are actually ready to shoot.
Rule #4: Be sure of your target, as well as what's behind it.

Seems that this woman violated at least Rules #1 and #2, and no bicycle can outrun a bullet. OP was right to get on her butt about it. The most dangerous gun in the world is the one that "isn't loaded".

Someone at the range swept my then-girlfriend right at her abdomen with his S&W Highway Patrolman. I *IMMEDIATELY* grabbed his hand and gun and pointed them downrange, somewhat forcefully. Then I explained why I had done that. He was very apologetic and understood why I did it. With that said, it did make my girlfriend sick to her stomach.

OP, I think we're all glad that you didn't end up having to actually draw.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 01-20-2021, 9:00 PM

Always good to know your neighbors if you can. Extra good if they are responsible gun owners.
Old 01-21-2021, 8:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Good job OP. At a minimum, hopefully the girl learned about safer handling and the guy learned about not being in the safe with your garage door open, ffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2021, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Nailed it.
One of the worst feelings ever.
Old 01-21-2021, 9:34 AM

I wouldn’t have even been close to drawing in this scenario. I’d be more worried about getting clear, and further assessing the situation. Just my 2˘.
Old 01-21-2021, 1:42 PM

Agree with statement above. If you own a CCW, you should be more analytical before you pull the gun on your neighbor. This is how those stories get on the news that make you wonder "how did that even happen?"
Old 01-21-2021, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyrock View Post
Good job OP. At a minimum, hopefully the girl learned about safer handling and the guy learned about not being in the safe with your garage door open, ffs.

Good point actually. What soft head does anything in the open with guns, in an obvious neighborhood!

When I'm working on mine in the garage, door is shut! Or at most partially cracked so only my ankles can be seen (for airflow... gets hot in there!).

I'd never work on them with the door wide open cuz, a) I don't want everyone knowing what I have and b) it'll scare the bageezus out of some people, even if you are on your property and properly handling everything.

Just don't do it...
Old 01-21-2021, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw.watts View Post
I wouldn’t have even been close to drawing in this scenario. I’d be more worried about getting clear, and further assessing the situation. Just my 2˘.
Right? Id be bailing out of the line of fire. Once out of the line of fire,At most calling the cops.. Whats pulling handgun gunna do VS bailing out, if you truly believe it was pointed at you and your life was in danger. Again, I get that im arm chair quarterbacking here.

Last edited by INCINR8; 01-21-2021 at 8:23 PM..
Old 01-21-2021, 8:53 PM

Here is what I would have done.
I would have walked over to my neighbor, introduced myself, and explained very politely to her that having a gun pointed to me makes me very nervous, and it's also dangerous for both parties. You may have made a new friend, who is pro gun.
Old 01-21-2021, 9:08 PM

I've been swiped before at the range and have given people an earful. I've also been on the business end of a firearm by armed thugs as a teen. If you saw the safe, and could read the situation, getting out of the way and just politely letting them know they were pointing the gun at you would have taken care of it. Dramatically declaring you almost drew your pistol rubs me the wrong way, like you want to shoot someone, instead of de-escalating a situation that was done in ignorance, not malice. If however she had her finger on the trigger and was aiming at you, that's kind of a different, but still why declare that here? Normies see this kind of crap and go along with unconstitutional gun control measures.

Last edited by CAsubject; 01-21-2021 at 9:11 PM..
Old 01-21-2021, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother_Hesekiel View Post
Here is what I would have done.
I would have walked over to my neighbor, introduced myself, and explained very politely to her that having a gun pointed to me makes me very nervous, and it's also dangerous for both parties. You may have made a new friend, who is pro gun.

^^^This.
Also explain to her the 4 rules and perhaps, invite her to the range ; I think it would be better choice than drawing your gun.

Old 01-26-2021, 2:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Good point actually. What soft head does anything in the open with guns, in an obvious neighborhood!

When I'm working on mine in the garage, door is shut! Or at most partially cracked so only my ankles can be seen (for airflow... gets hot in there!).

I'd never work on them with the door wide open cuz, a) I don't want everyone knowing what I have and b) it'll scare the bageezus out of some people, even if you are on your property and properly handling everything.

Just don't do it...
Exactly what I was thinking. I don't even like showing my guns outdoors (near my house) for the very reason that I don't want any of my neighbors knowing what I have, as well as the obvious safety violations involved.

Hopefully the OP's neighbor's husband gave his wife a word on why she shouldn't be pointing rifles out toward the neighborhood for any reason whatsoever.
Old 01-26-2021, 6:31 PM
Veteran Member

First, the woman is a liar but what is new. She knew you were there and intentionally aimed at you, but probably thought it safe.

Second, if you were caught flat foot stradling a bicycle, I think it good that you made ready to pull.

Third, that you did not pull was probably wise. If she was intent on shooting you may have given her an excuse, even if it was a poor one, but if she had no intention than she might still shoot out of fright. A no win situation.

I would be interested to know what your neighbor said when you talked to his woman.
I never practiced criminal nor firearms law.Do not rely on my post, but consult your own attorney.
Old 01-26-2021, 6:49 PM

Call the cops let them handle it.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:03 PM
Calguns Addict

"Almost" only counts in a game of horse shoes.

If someone points a gun at you the first thing you do is move out of the way. Don't be the deer caught in the headlights.

Reads like the OP learned something of great value.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 01-27-2021, 12:19 PM

You knew your neighbor was digging through his safe, and you were going to draw on someone examining his guns? I understand the alarm when anyone points a gun at you, but it sounds like you already knew the situation was a non educated person handling a firearm. You need to relax a little.

Old 01-28-2021, 8:57 AM
Veteran Member

Why would you draw a gun in that situation? If they shot at you with a rifle in that situation I doubt you can do much on a bicycle with a handgun. Get out of the way fast then reassess.
Old 01-28-2021, 9:03 AM

Reaching for a handgun (while biking!) when a rifle is aimed at you by Annie Oakley
is definitely Unwise.
Old 01-28-2021, 9:04 AM

Here's the last time I had to draw my CCW...

Old 01-30-2021, 12:51 AM

The best advise i can give is: Give the whole family a basic gun saftey course..
Old 01-31-2021, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmas View Post
Reaching for a handgun (while biking!) when a rifle is aimed at you by Annie Oakley
is definitely Unwise.
LMAO!
Best post of the day!