Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > L.A. Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2020, 8:58 PM

Default Any LA ranges (ideally near Burbank or N. Hollywood) that allow steel case ammo?

I see that firing line in Burbank bans it. **** them, what business is it of theirs?

Anyway, are there ranges that aren't *******s about saying you HAVE to use more expensive brass ammo?
Old 06-13-2020, 9:27 AM

You are out of luck. It isn't just about the steel casing, it also had to do with bimetal jacket on projectile. This is why I don't buy russian ammo. Their facility, their rules.
Old 06-13-2020, 9:41 AM

Drive out to Rosamond look for BLM land and set up.
Old 06-13-2020, 9:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8vrmind View Post
You are out of luck. It isn't just about the steel casing, it also had to do with bimetal jacket on projectile. This is why I don't buy russian ammo. Their facility, their rules.
This.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just make certain on blm your projectiles are not magnetic.
Old 06-13-2020, 11:05 PM

The issue is not the steel casing but steel in the actual bullet. The outdoor ranges don't care if the casing is magnetic but care if the bullet itself is magnetic.
Old 06-16-2020, 5:51 PM
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by DcellBattery View Post
I see that firing line in Burbank bans it. **** them, what business is it of theirs?

Anyway, are there ranges that aren't *******s about saying you HAVE to use more expensive brass ammo?
What caliber steel case ammo are you trying to shoot?
Old 07-02-2020, 11:49 PM
Captain of the Gun Boat
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DcellBattery View Post

None.
Ditto to casings and projectiles. If you run a magnet across the top of the bullet and it catches, then you have a steel core bullet. Think of it as a micro-tank round. It will destroy stuff more and faster than a pure lead round would. That's why indoor ranges don't allow it. When it hits metal and disintegrates, those tiny little shards are hot enough to burn brush and start a fire. That's why outdoor ranges don't allow it. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and suffer buyer's remorse when the joy of a bargain is no more.
-Ronald Reagan

*Disclaimer: I'm no lawyer. So don't take my advice as counsel.
Old 07-03-2020, 8:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingChiron View Post
None.
Ditto to casings and projectiles. If you run a magnet across the top of the bullet and it catches, then you have a steel core bullet.
That is partially wrong.
Many bullets have bi-metal jackets over a lead core, which will attract a magnet. The great majority of such ammunition is also loaded into steel cases.
The proper way to find out is to safely pull one of the bullets, then section it carefully using a saw. If it has a true steel core, it will be obvious. You could also take a pulled bullet, and heat it with a propane torch, observing the lead run out of the jacket. A steel core will also fall out; be careful not to get burned.
Some ranges don't allow the use of steel jacketed or steel core ammunition due to potential fire issues; disallowing the use of ammunition simply because it has a steel case, without knowledge of the actual bullet material is simply ignorance, or a blanket policy that requires no intelligence to follow.
Old 07-03-2020, 3:07 PM
Captain of the Gun Boat
CGN Contributor

Agreed. I should've added steel jacket. From my experience, ranges allow people to shoot bullets with steel cases. It's the steel jacket and steel core projectile they turn away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splithoof View Post
... You could also take a pulled bullet, and heat it with a propane torch, observing the lead run out of the jacket. A steel core will also fall out; be careful not to get burned ...
Poor bullet The little guy would never get to blow his load
-Ronald Reagan

*Disclaimer: I'm no lawyer. So don't take my advice as counsel.