Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 11-20-2021, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member

Default I feel that black market prices are now the new norm...

I see primers and powder starting to become regularly available. I also see that 75 bucks for a brick of primer and 40 dollars for a pound of powder is showing up online and retail.

I sad. Prices are sticky, they seldom go down. I so sad.

I was hoping to top up.
Old 11-20-2021, 10:25 AM
Calguns Addict

Its because they are still flying off the shelves at those pirces give it more time for supply to start to sit. Its all about inventory turnover and right now i bet turnover is less than A week
Old 11-20-2021, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

At the gun show this morning, primers were $175/1000 and powder was $45/pound.
Old 11-20-2021, 4:15 PM
Veteran Member

I feel lucky that I'm a few miles from a Sportsmans Warehouse that hasn't raised their prices too much. In the last 2 years I've been getting Primers for $35 per thousand and powder for $30 per pound. Just have to get up early and stand in line, like hunting...
Old 11-20-2021, 4:45 PM
Banned

Gas is more than it was two years ago, food is more than it was two years ago, ammo is more than it was two years ago, components are...
Old 11-20-2021, 7:06 PM
Veteran Member

At the very least, retailers are now much more on par with scalpers.

I can replace my components from a retailer a little faster than I use them up, and I can pay prices below scalpers. So I don't think the scalper model is sustainable, and I shoot as much as 3 times a week going through maybe 500+ rounds a month.
Old 11-30-2021, 3:11 PM

Primers were just $200 and everyone swore that's the new price. Then they were $150 and will never go a cent less. Then $100 became the new price.

Now it's $75, and it's never ever ever going to be less. Except at the stores where it's already back in the $30's.

Can't we just stop?
Old 11-30-2021, 3:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomReloaded View Post
Primers were just $200 and everyone swore that's the new price. Then they were $150 and will never go a cent less. Then $100 became the new price.

Now it's $75, and it's never ever ever going to be less. Except at the stores where it's already back in the $30's.

Can't we just stop?
Where are these 30 dollar bricks?
Old 11-30-2021, 4:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
At the gun show this morning, primers were $175/1000 and powder was $45/pound.
Those prices are not proportional and I wonder why.
CRPA Member

....."He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance."

Declaration of Independence, 1776
Old 11-30-2021, 4:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

its a good thing

20- 60 million new gun owners in America

a new generation who watched RIOTS and LOOTING and know the 2A is not about hunting....

Over time- supply / demand will reach a balance...

But during inflation, all commodities are more expensive
brass
lead
copper

etc

our dollars are worth 20% less than a year ago....

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 12-01-2021, 1:34 PM

It is sad and to think we did it to ourselves with those looking to make a few extra bucks.
Old 12-02-2021, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertriple View Post
It is sad and to think we did it to ourselves with those looking to make a few extra bucks.
When you sell your home I hope you intend to sell it for what you paid. You know....to help new homeowners
Old 12-02-2021, 6:41 AM
Veteran Member

I think his point is that people are flipping it to profit. I've only bought to keep and trade, not sell. Personally I don't think it's worth the money to do so and I don't think too much about them, not worth my time. I just buy and use depending on needs, cut back when I don't see them available.
Old 12-02-2021, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
its a good thing

20- 60 million new gun owners in America

a new generation who watched RIOTS and LOOTING and know the 2A is not about hunting........
Let's just hope they're passionate about their 2A rights, support organizations who protect those rights, and vote accordingly.

To the availability of reloading components, it's *we* established reloaders who are responsible for the shortages, and not the new gun owners. They buy retail ammunition. We're the ones searching suppliers several times a day grabbing any available primer or powder available, even when we're sitting on more of those items than we normally expend in a normal year or more.

I'm as guilty as the next guy, and my powder shelves look like a retail store. I had 2k of CCI SR primers in my cart in Brownell's this morning, and during checkout removed them from my cart and closed the browser. Not that I was being a good guy, but because there was no powder I wanted to go with those primers and offset the ship/HAZMAT fees.

Until WE resist the urge to overstock like there's no tomorrow, the supply/demand will continue to be grossly out of balance, and scarcity and ridiculous prices will continue to be the norm.
Old 12-02-2021, 7:30 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco4me View Post
Let's just hope they're passionate about their 2A rights, support organizations who protect those rights, and vote accordingly.

To the availability of reloading components, it's *we* established reloaders who are responsible for the shortages, and not the new gun owners. They buy retail ammunition. We're the ones searching suppliers several times a day grabbing any available primer or powder available, even when we're sitting on more of those items than we normally expend in a normal year or more.

I'm as guilty as the next guy, and my powder shelves look like a retail store. I had 2k of CCI SR primers in my cart in Brownell's this morning, and during checkout removed them from my cart and closed the browser. Not that I was being a good guy, but because there was no powder I wanted to go with those primers and offset the ship/HAZMAT fees.

Until WE resist the urge to overstock like there's no tomorrow, the supply/demand will continue to be grossly out of balance, and scarcity and ridiculous prices will continue to be the norm.
A lot of the reloaders I know stocked up before COVID.

Personally, I am stockpiled, but I did so during normals times. Ive only bought components for 3000 rounds during the Pandemic, just because I started shooting 6.5CM.

If anything, I helped the situation by selling some of my stockpile.
Old 12-02-2021, 7:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnlrun View Post
When you sell your home I hope you intend to sell it for what you paid. You know....to help new homeowners

I get your point and totally agree, but c'mon, houses don't increase 300% in a month or two like primers did.
Old 12-02-2021, 7:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco4me View Post

Exactly.

Starting before the pandemic I bought components opportunistically, which means I'd grab deals here and at retail outlets, but my objective was to minimize the price per round (tip from Divernhunter) rather than worrying about a pandemic-induced shortage. Believe it or not I've able to pick up components here and there for at or below pre-pandemic prices over the past two years.

Prices will get back to something approaching pre-pandemic levels. It's a matter of when, not if.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post

our dollars are worth 20% less than a year ago....
Maybe it feels that way and it may even be the case for certain items like gas, where prices have gone up and down many times over the years. Of course some evidence might change my mind.

In fact, the average price of gas adjusted for inflation has declined slightly according to this source.