Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 10-14-2019, 9:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Gas rings lined up after shooting

Hello all,

I took my PA10 to the desert and shot about 150 rounds and when I was cleaning it today the gas rings were all lined up. I know 100% for sure I had them separated into thirds before I started shooting. Does this indicate a problem with the gun and is there something I can do to prevent it?

Thank you
Old 10-14-2019, 9:27 PM

It doesn't matter, and there's no need to prevent it from happening.
Old 10-14-2019, 9:37 PM

The gas rings rotate when you fire the rifle, so I don't think there's an issue with it. After cleaning, you can separate the ring gaps again if you wish.
FWIW, my AR functions fine even when ring gaps are lined up. I still stagger them though after cleaning.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

It’s not a car engine where blow by pressurized the oil

It still worked at the end of the day? Right?

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 10-15-2019, 8:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

A one piece gas ring solves this.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiego619 View Post
Hello all,

I took my PA10 to the desert and shot about 150 rounds and when I was cleaning it today the gas rings were all lined up. I know 100% for sure I had them separated into thirds before I started shooting. Does this indicate a problem with the gun and is there something I can do to prevent it?

Thank you
My experience with gas rings:

- In the Marines I was never told ANYTHING about them lining up. Never came up.

- These days I NEVER check on them. Ever. I've never (and I mean literally NEVER) had any sort of mal on my rifle.

Don't give your gas rings another thought until they start to wear out.

GAS RINGS LINING UP DOES NOT MATTER.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmc0844spare View Post

- These days I NEVER check on them. Ever. I've never (and I mean literally NEVER) had any sort of mal on my rifle.

I trust the experience of the USMC!! Thanks buddy!
Old 10-15-2019, 12:22 PM

As a former US Army armorer, gas rings were never an issue until they wore down. I also took an Armalite armorers course and the instructor was clear - don't worry about the gas rings lining up.
“This decision is a freedom calculus decided long ago by Colonists who cherished individual freedom more than the subservient security of a British ruler. The freedom they fought for was not free of cost then, and it is not free now.” - Hon. Roger T. Benitez, United States District Judge, March 29, 2019
Old 10-15-2019, 1:59 PM

Quote:
I trust the experience of the USMC!! Thanks buddy!
Don't worry, someone else who was in the Marines (and not a lowly reservist like me) will be along shortly to tell you how their DIs used to beat them for lined up gas rings and how an entire squad was killed on the rifle range when a boot PFC lined up their gas rings on purpose.

USMC is not always the hyper-professional gun club everyone thinks sometimes. Our DIs used to have us use the firing pin to grind away on the crown of the bbl to make it shiny for inspection. So either they somehow didn't know jack about the importance of the crown, or the conventional wisdom about the importance of the crown is BS. I am betting on the former. Or maybe they just placed more importance on a shiny crown for inspection purposes than on the health of fleet hand-me-downs with 100K rounds through them.

Suffice it to say, later on an armorer saw me doing that and lost his sh*t on me.
Old 10-15-2019, 7:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Don't worry, someone else who was in the Marines (and not a lowly reservist like me) will be along shortly to tell you how their DIs used to beat them for lined up gas rings and how an entire squad was killed on the rifle range when a boot PFC lined up their gas rings on purpose.

USMC is not always the hyper-professional gun club everyone thinks sometimes. Our DIs used to have us use the firing pin to grind away on the crown of the bbl to make it shiny for inspection. So either they somehow didn't know jack about the importance of the crown, or the conventional wisdom about the importance of the crown is BS. I am betting on the former. Or maybe they just placed more importance on a shiny crown for inspection purposes than on the health of fleet hand-me-downs with 100K rounds through them.

Suffice it to say, later on an armorer saw me doing that and lost his sh*t on me.
Hah!!

Ok, now I have to say it. My friend in the Marines (has since got out) showed me how to clean my AR when I first shot it. Yep, used the firing pin to clean the carbon off the part where the gas tube goes in (is that called the crown?). I assumed the firing pin must me super ultra hard metal that can scrape diamonds away if needed. Anyway, I don't do that, I use a razor blade to scrape stuff off.

Do the guns that have 100,000 rounds through them have original barrels or do they at least swap those out?
Old 10-15-2019, 7:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Don’t worry about it. It absolutely doesn’t matter. They move with use. There’s no way to keep the ring gaps staggered in actual use. What matters is that they aren’t worn out missing or broken, and even then AR’s tend to continue to work. I can almost guarantee with 100% certainty your rifle would run with just one gas ring. I’ve seen some worn *** gas rings on dudes duty rifles and they still run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2019, 9:19 PM

Actually, I am fairly sure I remember someone running a rifle with one gas ring, just to prove it'd work. Maybe I'll give it a shot some day.
Old 10-16-2019, 7:55 AM

Quote:
Hah!!

Ok, now I have to say it. My friend in the Marines (has since got out) showed me how to clean my AR when I first shot it. Yep, used the firing pin to clean the carbon off the part where the gas tube goes in (is that called the crown?). I assumed the firing pin must me super ultra hard metal that can scrape diamonds away if needed. Anyway, I don't do that, I use a razor blade to scrape stuff off.

Do the guns that have 100,000 rounds through them have original barrels or do they at least swap those out?
"Crown" is the very end of the barrel where the bullet comes out. You def want to keep that pristine and not go jabbing at it with anything.

Judging by the bare metal shine of the barrels from years of nasty recruit hands doing manual of arms (left shoulder, right shoulder, etc) I'd say about the only thing that ever got replaced was the odd handguard.
Old 10-16-2019, 8:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
"Crown" is the very end of the barrel where the bullet comes out. You def want to keep that pristine and not go jabbing at it with anything.

Judging by the bare metal shine of the barrels from years of nasty recruit hands doing manual of arms (left shoulder, right shoulder, etc) I'd say about the only thing that ever got replaced was the odd handguard.
I know nothing about the crown... On my Bushmaster AR15, it looks like it was sawn 95% of the way off and then banged off with a hammer. What's the deal with the crown? I imagine if it's not perfect it could set the bullet wobbling as it leaves the barrel.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I know nothing about the crown... On my Bushmaster AR15, it looks like it was sawn 95% of the way off and then banged off with a hammer. What's the deal with the crown? I imagine if it's not perfect it could set the bullet wobbling as it leaves the barrel.
Yeah that's more or less the issue. It's the last contact with the bullet so the premise is that if it's not even then the gas escaping behind the bullet as it is barely out of the barrel will escape unevenly and put some wobble to it.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Yeah that's more or less the issue. It's the last contact with the bullet so the premise is that if it's not even then the gas escaping behind the bullet as it is barely out of the barrel will escape unevenly and put some wobble to it.
I'm gonna look at mine when I get home. Now I am curious.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoughts View Post
Actually, I am fairly sure I remember someone running a rifle with one gas ring, just to prove it'd work. Maybe I'll give it a shot some day.
We did this is a carbine class lead by a retired ODA guy. Ran perfectly, no issues.

Shakespeare: Julius Caesar, Act III, Scene I
Old 10-16-2019, 11:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
A one piece gas ring solves this.
But it is cheaper to just poke both eyes out and you will never notice. It doesn't matter a bit anyway. Stevie Wonder shoots with the rings aligned.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The gas pressure makes them all line in order like all military type firearms are designed to do.
Old 10-16-2019, 2:05 PM

Quote:

I was taught in the Marines to NEVER have them aligned... but same for today, I never check them. No malfunctions ever. I also don't strip and clean my rifle for hrs on end, like I was taught to do in the Marines either.
Old 10-16-2019, 2:14 PM
Calguns Addict

I never looked at them other than cleaning never been told to check alignment or anything like that. They will outlast your bolt thats for sure.
My old roommate was an Armorer and he said that most rifles would go through 2 or 3 barrels before ANY other parts were changed. He worked at Infantry training school and 5th Marines so he saw some guns with heavy use and some abuse.

Never make yourself too available or useful...... Semper Fidelis

John Dickerson: What keeps you awake at night?
James Mattis: Nothing, I keep other people awake at night.

Old 10-16-2019, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatt511 View Post
We did this is a carbine class lead by a retired ODA guy. Ran perfectly, no issues.
That's what I thought. Thanks, one less task for me.
Old 10-17-2019, 9:42 AM

Agreed, it's not a problem.
IF it bothers you, you might check to see if there are any burr's on the ends that might keep them from rotating independently. A little stone work would correct this.
Old 10-17-2019, 3:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pofoo View Post
Agreed, it's not a problem.
IF it bothers you, you might check to see if there are any burr's on the ends that might keep them from rotating independently. A little stone work would correct this.
No, I don't care, if it doesn't affect performance I don't give a darn
Old 10-25-2019, 11:17 AM

No effect on performance... And I have seen people with a well worn BCG and single gas rings run fine.

Don't do single gas rings... Lol.. but the alignment means very little as long as they are in working order.