Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2017, 8:36 AM

Default LEO selling of Off-Roster PPT?

While performing a PPT, actually a trade of an off roster handgun for another off roster handgun, we were told that they could no longer transfer a handgun purchased via LEO exemption to a non-LEO buyer. Not an issue for us since neither of the parties involved were LEOs. Interestingly, it was noted that this restriction only applied to firearms purchased by the LEO via roster exemption. If that LEO brought the firearm into California during a move or purchased it via PPT, it was fine. Not sure how the FFL doing the transfer could verify that.

I have done some searching, and I am aware of some LEOs getting busted for basically using their status to buy and subsequently sell those off roster guns at significant profit. I can see CA DOJ and the ATF cracking down on what amounts to non-FFL dealing (kind of) or straw purchases of off roster handguns by LEOs to sell. But, I have not seen any laws or regulations change in this regard, so legally I don't think there is any new restriction on an occasional and infrequent sale from LEO to non-LEO via PPT of an off roster handgun.

I think more likely that it is a store policy, though the clerk performing our PPT was not very forthcoming in whether or not he was simply directed by the owner as to not be a party to any potential issues that could come from an LEO engaging in a large amount of buying and selling for profit.

Have any of you heard of stores enacting a similar policy?

EDIT: This took place at Down Range in Chico. Just in case anybody was planning on doing a LEO to non-LEO PPT there.

Last edited by scottyb; 06-04-2017 at 8:39 AM.. Reason: Add dealer name for info
Old 06-04-2017, 11:04 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap3572001 View Post
I asked this question (got no response) before and will ask it again.

Does it make ANY difference if an LEO bought the OFF ROSTER handgun WITHOUT using their exemption ?

If LEO just walks into a gun shop and picks up a cool OFF ROSTER pistol (THAT ANYONE COULD BUY) that was on consignment and decides to trade it off or sell it to a non LEO later. Is it different than if LEO bought an OFF ROSTER handgun USING their exemption?

California Code, Penal Code - PEN § 32000

(a) A person in this state who manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state for sale, keeps for sale, offers or exposes for sale, gives, or lends an unsafe handgun shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year.
(b) This section shall not apply to any of the following:
(1) The manufacture in this state, or importation into this state, of a prototype handgun when the manufacture or importation is for the sole purpose of allowing an independent laboratory certified by the Department of Justice pursuant to Section 32010 to conduct an independent test to determine whether that handgun is prohibited by Sections 31900 to 32110, inclusive, and, if not, allowing the department to add the firearm to the roster of handguns that may be sold in this state pursuant to Section 32015.
(2) The importation or lending of a handgun by employees or authorized agents of entities determining whether the weapon is prohibited by this section.
(3) Firearms listed as curios or relics, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
(4) The sale or purchase of a handgun, if the handgun is sold to, or purchased by, the Department of Justice, a police department, a sheriff's official, a marshal's office, the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, the Department of the California Highway Patrol, any district attorney's office, any federal law enforcement agency, or the military or naval forces of this state or of the United States for use in the discharge of their official duties.  This section does not prohibit the sale to, or purchase by, sworn members of these agencies of a handgun.
(5) The sale, purchase, or delivery of a handgun, if the sale, purchase, or delivery of the handgun is made pursuant to subdivision (d) of Section 10334 of the Public Contract Code.
(6) Subject to the limitations set forth in subdivision (c), the sale or purchase of a handgun, if the handgun is sold to, or purchased by, any of the following entities or sworn members of these entities who have satisfactorily completed the firearms portion of a training course prescribed by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training pursuant to Section 832:
(A) The Department of Parks and Recreation.
(B) The Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control.
(C) The Division of Investigation of the Department of Consumer Affairs.
(D) The Department of Motor Vehicles.
(E) The Fraud Division of the Department of Insurance.
(F) The State Department of State Hospitals.
(G) The Department of Fish and Wildlife.
(H) The State Department of Developmental Services.
(I) The Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.
(J) A county probation department.
(K) The Los Angeles World Airports, as defined in Section 830.15.
(L) A K-12 public school district for use by a school police officer, as described in Section 830.32.
(M) A municipal water district for use by a park ranger, as described in Section 830.34.
(N) A county for use by a welfare fraud investigator or inspector, as described in Section 830.35.
(O) A county for use by the coroner or the deputy coroner, as described in Section 830.35.
(P) The Supreme Court and the courts of appeal for use by marshals of the Supreme Court and bailiffs of the courts of appeal, and coordinators of security for the judicial branch, as described in Section 830.36.
(Q) A fire department or fire protection agency of a county, city, city and county, district, or the state for use by either of the following:
(i) A member of an arson-investigating unit, regularly paid and employed in that capacity pursuant to Section 830.37.
(ii) A member other than a member of an arson-investigating unit, regularly paid and employed in that capacity pursuant to Section 830.37.
(R) The University of California Police Department, or the California State University Police Departments, as described in Section 830.2.
(S) A California Community College police department, as described in Section 830.32.

(c)(1) Notwithstanding Section 26825, a person licensed pursuant to Sections 26700 to 26915, inclusive, shall not process the sale or transfer of an unsafe handgun between a person who has obtained an unsafe handgun pursuant to an exemption specified in paragraph (6) of subdivision (b) and a person who is not exempt from the requirements of this section.

so, if you used 32000(b)(6), to acquire the off-roster handgun, it is illegal for a CA-dealer to process the PPT. if you didn't use that exemption, (whether you acquired it in a PPT or are a member of a 32000(b)(4) agency) then I don't see how 32000(c)(1) would apply.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

Last edited by ke6guj; 06-04-2017 at 11:07 AM..
Old 06-04-2017, 11:10 AM
Administrator

^^^ What Jack said ^^^

For off-Roster handguns, if a LEO inherited one, or received one by intrafamilial transfer, or bought one PPT, or moved to CA with it, still free to sell it if s/he wants to do that.

And remember, the restriction applies only to the newly-designated LEO, and only to off-Roster handguns purchased in CA from 2017 forward using the LE exemption.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 06-04-2017 at 11:13 AM..
Old 06-04-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
California Code, Penal Code - PEN § 32000

(c)(1) Notwithstanding Section 26825, a person licensed pursuant to Sections 26700 to 26915, inclusive, shall not process the sale or transfer of an unsafe handgun between a person who has obtained an unsafe handgun pursuant to an exemption specified in paragraph (6) of subdivision (b) and a person who is not exempt from the requirements of this section.

so, if you used 32000(b)(6), to acquire the off-roster handgun, it is illegal for a CA-dealer to process the PPT. if you didn't use that exemption, (whether you acquired it in a PPT or are a member of a 32000(b)(4) agency) then I don't see how 32000(c)(1) would apply.
This was kind of a question that I was having in posting this. How, if this is the case, would the FFL know that? Just simply asking if you used the exemption to buy the weapon doesn't seem to place the FFL in any danger of violating if the LEO just says no.

I moved here from NY (I thought they were bad) a couple of years ago and I am just really diving into the transfer legalities of firearms. I have been content with my firearms that I moved here with, until recently, when the bug bit me to start expanding my collection again. This PPT was the first since I got here and I thought I have heard of LEOs selling off guns that were off the roster and that they didn't want to keep. That is why it struck me as weird. I guess I have a lot more to learn about the maze of CA gun laws in with respect to PPTs.

Last edited by scottyb; 06-04-2017 at 11:19 AM..
Old 06-04-2017, 11:22 AM

Stepped-up enforcement due to a certain calguns LEO who was just tarred and feathered in the media.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
This was kind of a question that I was having in posting this. How, if this is the case, would the FFL know that? Just simply asking if you used the exemption to buy the weapon doesn't seem to place the FFL in any danger of violating if the LEO just says no.
exactly. and is the FFL required to ask?

are they subject to prosecution if they have no-idea if the handgun being PPT'ed is a 32000(b)(6)-acquired firearm? what happens if they do ask, and the seller lies? are they still liable?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap3572001 View Post
Understood.

For example:

LEO walks into a a gun store. They buy a nice Smith and Wesson 945 or Model 610 from the consignment cabinet. ANYONE COULD HAVE BOUGHT IT. NO LEO EXEMPTION WAS USED.

If they were to trade it or sell it later to a NON LEO, would they be under the same scrutiny as if a handgun bought USING their exemption?
unknown how CADOJ might try to track LEO-purchases and their later sales.

legally, that LEO should be able to buy PPT/consignment just like any other non--exempt person and be able to sell that in a later PPT/consignment sale. just like a 32000(b)(4) LEO today can go in and buy an off-roster handgun and then later decide to sell that to a non-LEO in a PPT/consignment, without violating 32000(c)(1).

is CADOJ noting in AFS somehow that "Glock 40Gen4 serial number XXX123" was acquired via 32000(b)(6) and then looking at that when it is later PPT'ed, who knows?

Old 06-04-2017, 11:33 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1259927

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1280946

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1274586

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1287943

Old 11-29-2017, 5:55 PM
Administrator

Cleaned up a bit and made a sticky.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Old 11-05-2018, 1:24 PM

Sorry, may just be a little thick headed.

What you're saying is that a LEO that purchased on Off-Roster pistol using their exemption can not sell that same pistol to a Non-LEO through PPT after any amount of time?
Old 11-05-2018, 1:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tychin02 View Post
Sorry, may just be a little thick headed.

What you're saying is that a LEO that purchased on Off-Roster pistol using their exemption can not sell that same pistol to a Non-LEO through PPT after any amount of time?
No that is not accurate. Only those LEO's that were added to the list and listed in the law quoted in post #2 can not sell off roster firearms they purchased using their exempt status.
Old 11-05-2018, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
No that is not accurate. Only those LEO's that were added to the list and listed in the law quoted in post #2 can not sell off roster firearms they purchased using their exempt status.
"to the list and listed in the law quoted..."

Are there 2 lists? Or just the one mentioned above?

So for example a Sheriff or city Police officer would still be eligible, however not a DMV officer. Correct?
Old 11-05-2018, 1:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Everyone listed after subsection B 5 were added to be able to purchase off roster in 2016 I believe. Their ability to sell off roster obtained with their exempt status was removed. It does not effect anyone who was able to purchase off roster prior to the new exemptions being added in. So nothing changed city police county sheriff's deputies, CHP and a few other's can still sell off roster. However some agencies have adopted policy's prohibiting those sales, since a few have used that to flip a profit.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:19 AM

I just got off the phone with a recognized, store-front, firearms dealer here in CA. I inquired about purchasing a semi-auto pistol (specific brand and model) that is not on the roster and was immediately asked whether I was LEO. When I advised no, I was told that model is not on the roster and cannot, therefore, be sold to non-LEO. That person, who sounded quite knowledgeable, then added that, if such a firearm is used, a non-LEO could purchase it. I've read the above posts and am unclear whether this dealer's info is correct. Please consider and advise. If OK, how would the DROS be processed by the dealer - since that firearm is not on the roster? Thanks.
ELR - anything shorter is point blank.

Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA), Webmaster and Marketing Assistant
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 10-10-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR Researcher View Post
I just got off the phone with a recognized, store-front, firearms dealer here in CA. I inquired about purchasing a semi-auto pistol (specific brand and model) that is not on the roster and was immediately asked whether I was LEO. When I advised no, I was told that model is not on the roster and cannot, therefore, be sold to non-LEO. That person, who sounded quite knowledgeable, then added that, if such a firearm is used, a non-LEO could purchase it. I've read the above posts and am unclear whether this dealer's info is correct. Please consider and advise. If OK, how would the DROS be processed by the dealer - since that firearm is not on the roster? Thanks.
I believe he is talking about consignment. So if you find one at a shop on consignment you can legally purchase it. Otherwise your only other option is PPT unless you have a mom or dad that is out of state. But that’s a whole nother issue finding an FFL that understands how to do the transfer.
Old 10-11-2020, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullets&Whitewalls View Post
I believe he is talking about consignment. So if you find one at a shop on consignment you can legally purchase it. Otherwise your only other option is PPT unless you have a mom or dad that is out of state. But that’s a whole nother issue finding an FFL that understands how to do the transfer.
Consignment or just shop-owned-used, seems it would be the same. How/why would consignment be different?

In any case, how would the store clear an off-roster pistol thru DROS as part of a sale to a non-LEO? Thanks.
ELR - anything shorter is point blank.

Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA), Webmaster and Marketing Assistant
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 10-11-2020, 3:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Consignment or just shop-owned-used, seems it would be the same. How/why would consignment be different?

In any case, how would the store clear an off-roster pistol thru DROS as part of a sale to a non-LEO? Thanks.
If it is consignment it is processed as a private party transfer making it legal
Old 10-11-2020, 3:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Consignment is different than dealer-owned because CA’s laws are nuts.
Old 10-11-2020, 4:00 PM

Just got the following email from On Target in So OC. It says transfers will be done in compliance with CA laws, but I read that as they won’t do a ppt of off roster unless you are exempt.

—————————————
Firearm Transfer Policy Amendment

All firearms transferred in to On Target must be eligible for transfer to the customer as per CA firearm laws. For example, all handguns must be on the California Roster of Certified Handguns by model number/name/description. All long guns must be CA-compliant. See CA DOJ website for compliancy laws.

If you have an off-roster handgun that is being gifted to you by a parent/grandparent/child/grandchild, they must include a copy of their state-issued photo ID and a gifting letter.

It is your responsibility as the customer to make sure all firearms are eligible for transfer. IT IS NOT OUR RESPONSIBILITY TO CHECK FOR COMPLIANCE. If there are any firearms that are sent to On Target that must be shipped back because they are not eligible for transfer, you will be charged $100 processing fee. No member discounts. No debates. No matter the circumstances.

Transfer paperwork must be filled out before the gun arrives at On Target. All firearm transfer paperwork must include an invoice/receipt showing the exact model of the firearm you ordered to be shipped to On Target. Without the invoice/receipt that shows the proper information, we will not accept the transfer paperwork. If the gun arrives and you have not filled out the paperwork, the extra $25 processing fee will apply. This applies even if you tried to fill out paperwork and were denied because of the lack of invoice/receipt.
Old 10-11-2020, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ora Serrata View Post
Just got the following email from On Target in So OC. It says transfers will be done in compliance with CA laws, but I read that as they won’t do a ppt of off roster unless you are exempt.

—————————————

All firearms transferred in to On Target must be eligible for transfer to the customer as per CA firearm laws. For example, all handguns must be on the California Roster of Certified Handguns by model number/name/description. All long guns must be CA-compliant. See CA DOJ website for compliancy laws.

If you have an off-roster handgun that is being gifted to you by a parent/grandparent/child/grandchild, they must include a copy of their state-issued photo ID and a gifting letter.

It is your responsibility as the customer to make sure all firearms are eligible for transfer. IT IS NOT OUR RESPONSIBILITY TO CHECK FOR COMPLIANCE. If there are any firearms that are sent to On Target that must be shipped back because they are not eligible for transfer, you will be charged $100 processing fee. No member discounts. No debates. No matter the circumstances.

Transfer paperwork must be filled out before the gun arrives at On Target. All firearm transfer paperwork must include an invoice/receipt showing the exact model of the firearm you ordered to be shipped to On Target. Without the invoice/receipt that shows the proper information, we will not accept the transfer paperwork. If the gun arrives and you have not filled out the paperwork, the extra $25 processing fee will apply. This applies even if you tried to fill out paperwork and were denied because of the lack of invoice/receipt.
Put them on the list of FFL’s to avoid.
Old 10-11-2020, 4:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

That policy says “transferred in” which implies non-PPT situations. Call them and get clarification before you start hating them.
Old 10-11-2020, 4:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
That is your reading/understanding. But it is not what is written per se.

It is my reading that the entirety of the letter is in relation to firearms "shipped" to them. Which is a major headache for FFLs when buyers purchase from out of state sources without full understanding the complexity of such transfers. And causing problems for the FFL.

They even mention the off roster "gift exemption" from immediate family. Which if local, not shipped could be done with an OPLAW.

Quote:
All firearms transferred in to On Target must be eligible for transfer to the customer as per CA firearm laws
Says "TRANSFERRED INTO ON TARGET". Does NOT SAY..........."BY ON TARGET".

Is how the letter opens. It just didn't include EVERY POSSIBLE contingency. That would fit it.

Example;

PPT from a LEO of an off roster handgun, to a non exempt individual WOULD FIT what they said verbatim.

If in doubt, call and ask before you online blast.
Old 10-11-2020, 5:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastinline View Post
Put them on the list of FFL’s to avoid.
Policy makes sense to me. And they’re up front about. Just my 2¢. Although I’d never deal with them based on personal reasons...
Old 10-11-2020, 5:13 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:

—————————————

That is for dealer transfers - and their policy is correct. It says nothing about PPT.

"Transferred in"
"sent to On Target"
"shipped to On Target"

That all has to do with dealer transfers, and I see nothing about their policy that raises any concern. You're reading about PPT is incorrect, IMO.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 10-11-2020 at 5:24 PM..
Old 10-11-2020, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
exactly. and is the FFL required to ask?

are they subject to prosecution if they have no-idea if the handgun being PPT'ed is a 32000(b)(6)-acquired firearm? what happens if they do ask, and the seller lies? are they still liable?
nobody is checking if people sold one occasionally.
It become problems when that Pasadena PD act as dealer, selling a lot off roaster pistol for profit. What happen to him anyway?
Old 10-11-2020, 5:19 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Used or new has nothing to do with it.

He was probably substituting the word 'used' for 'being purchased second hand from a private party in a PPT or via consignment'. An unfortunate way to abbreviate the details for sure - but sometimes they get in a hurry, and sometimes a customers eyes will glaze over if you try and get into the weeds with the details - so 'used' is what ends up being said.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 10-11-2020 at 5:23 PM..
Old 10-11-2020, 5:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
I just got off the phone with a recognized, store-front, firearms dealer here in CA. I inquired about purchasing a semi-auto pistol (specific brand and model) that is not on the roster and was immediately asked whether I was LEO. When I advised no, I was told that model is not on the roster and cannot, therefore, be sold to non-LEO. As a new pistol from the FFL's inventory or ordered into the inventory.

That person, who sounded quite knowledgeable, then added that, if such a firearm is used, a non-LEO could purchase it. Under the provisions of PPT or consignment.

I've read the above posts and am unclear whether this dealer's info is correct. Please consider and advise. If OK, how would the DROS be processed by the dealer - since that firearm is not on the roster? Thanks. The sale would be DROS'd as either a PPT or as a consignment, based on the nature of the sale.
There are, in fact, two lists of LEOs who can, and cannot, sell their weapons obtained under the exemptions of their law enforcement exemption. The OAG has a fairly clear statement of this issue on the website.
Quote:
State Exemptions for Authorized Peace Officers
Non-Roster Handguns (Unsafe Handguns)

The following agencies may purchase non-roster firearms for use in the discharge of their official duties (Pen. Code, § 32000, subd. (b)(4)):

Department of Justice
A police department
A sheriff’s official
A marshal’s office
The Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation
The Department of the California Highway Patrol
Any district attorney’s office
Any federal law enforcement agency
The military or naval forces of this state or of the United States
Penal Code section 32000 does not prohibit the sale to, or purchase by, sworn members of the above agencies of a handgun.

Additionally, any of the following entities or sworn members of these entities who have satisfactorily completed the firearms portion of a training course prescribed by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training pursuant to Penal Code section 832 may purchase non-roster handguns (Pen. Code, § 32000, subd. (b)(6)):

The Department of Parks and Recreation
The Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control
The Division of Investigation of the Department of Consumer Affairs
The Department of Motor Vehicles
The Fraud Division of the Department of Insurance
The State Department of State Hospitals
The Department of Fish and Wildlife
The State Department of Developmental Services
The Department of Forestry and Fire Protection
A county probation department
The Los Angeles World Airports, as defined in Penal Code section 830.15
A K-12 public school district for use by a school police officer, as described in Penal Code section 830.32
A municipal water district for use by a park ranger, as described in Penal Code section 830.34
A county for use by a welfare fraud investigator or inspector, as described in Penal Code section 830.35
A county for use by the coroner or deputy coroner, as described in Penal Code section 830.35
The Supreme Court and the courts of appeal for use by marshals of the Supreme Court and bailiffs of the courts of appeal, and coordinators of security for the judicial branch, as described in Penal Code section 830.36
A fire department or fire protection agency of a county, city, city and county, or the state for use by either of the following:
A member of an arson-investigating unit, regularly paid and employed in that capacity pursuant to Penal Code section 830.37
A member other than a member of an arson-investigation unit, regularly paid and employed in that capacity pursuant to Penal Code section 830.37
The University of California Police Department, or the California State University Police Departments, as described in Penal Code section 830.2
A California Community College police department, as described in Penal Code section 830.32
Individuals who have obtained a non-roster firearm under any of the exemptions listed in Penal Code section 32000, subdivision (b), paragraph (6) may not sell or transfer the non-roster firearm to an individual who is not exempt from the requirements of Penal Code section 32000.

A person licensed pursuant to Penal Code sections 26700 to 26915, inclusive, shall not process the sale or transfer of an unsafe handgun between a person who has obtained an unsafe handgun pursuant to an exemption specified in Penal Code section 32000, subdivision (b), paragraph (6) and a person who is not exempt from the requirements of Penal Code section 32000 (Pen. Code, § 32000, subd. (c)(1)).
So, some officers can sell the weapons they purchased using their exemption, and some can't.

Since the statute puts the onus on the FFL, they are very cautious about these transactions. Additionally, since a number of LEOs have been found to be trafficking in off-roster firearms here, here, and here, many law enforcement agencies frown upon the process (but that's their employees' problem).
Old 10-18-2020, 12:42 PM

Does anyone know if the 1 in 30 days applies here?
Tier 1 vs Tier 2.

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2020, 1:14 PM

PC27535(a) is the 1 handgun DROS every 30-day rule, which starting July 1, 2021, will become 1 semiautomatic centerfire rifle or 1 handgun DROS every 30 days.

Under PC27535(b)(5), the following person is exempt from the 1-per-30-days restriction
Any person who is properly identified as a full-time paid peace officer, as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, and who is authorized to, and does carry a firearm during the course and scope of employment as a peace officer.
So you can look through Chapter 4.5 (which is sections 830 to 832.19) to see who is a peace officer under Californian law. What people are calling "Tier 1" is usually found in PC830.1 and PC830.2. What people are calling "Tier 2" are found in other statutes following 830.1 and 830.2. For example, 830.3(d) says Horse Racing Board investigators are peace officers. As another example, probation officers are under PC830.5. PC830.8 explicitly says federal law enforcement are not peace officers under Californian law, but do have some powers.
Old 10-18-2020, 2:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue187 View Post
Does anyone know if the 1 in 30 days applies here?
Tier 1 vs Tier 2.

Thanks!
If the transfer is PPT - one unlicensed CA resident to another unlicensed CA resident - then 1-in-30 does NOT apply, unless the FFL handling the transfer is inside the City of Los Angeles.

LE status of the seller has nothing to do with 1-in-30.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 06-18-2021, 6:59 AM

Little thread bump here. yesterday I received in the mail a letter from the DOJ as a notice regarding the purchase and resale of non-roster handguns. It's a very plain notice that explains 32000 and who can sell these non -roster guns.

Last year I PPT'd a firearm from a member from group one. The group that is allowed to sell non-rostered guns. I have also PPT's other firearms in the past from other group one members.

The one sticky part of the notice is this....."These sworn members (group one) may purchase non roster handguns for personal use and may generally sell or transfer the non roster handgun to any firearm eligible purchaser at a licensed firearm dealer"

That reads poorly to me. Who is a firearm eligible purchaser at a licensed fire dealer?

Strange notice and I am curious why it was sent. Is this the legal requirement that Newson put in to notify LEO's about the law? I do work for a group one agency as non sworn. I'll try and get a photo uploaded of it....

Last edited by boattail; 06-18-2021 at 7:25 AM.. Reason: add photos
Old 06-18-2021, 9:05 AM

Effective 1/1/2021:
Quote:
CA PEN 32000 (e) (1) The Department of Justice shall maintain a database of unsafe handguns obtained pursuant to paragraph (4), (6), or (7) of subdivision (b). This requirement shall apply retroactively to include information in the department’s possession. The department may satisfy this requirement by maintaining this information in any existing firearm database that reasonably facilitates compliance with this subdivision.

(2) A person or entity that is in possession of an unsafe handgun obtained pursuant to paragraph (4), (6), or (7) of subdivision (b), shall notify the department of any sale or transfer of that handgun within 72 hours of the sale or transfer in a manner and format prescribed by the department. This requirement shall be deemed satisfied if the sale or transfer is processed through a licensed firearms dealer pursuant to Section 27545. A sale or transfer accomplished through an exception to Section 27545 is not exempt from this reporting requirement.

(3) By no later than March 1, 2021, the department shall provide a notification to persons or entities possessing an unsafe handgun pursuant to paragraph (4), (6), or (7) of subdivision (b) regarding the prohibitions on the sale or transfer of that handgun contained in this section. Thereafter, the department shall, upon notification of sale or transfer, provide the same notification to the purchaser or transferee of any unsafe handgun sold or transferred pursuant to those provisions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boattail View Post
The one sticky part of the notice is this....."These sworn members (group one) may purchase non roster handguns for personal use and may generally sell or transfer the non roster handgun to any firearm eligible purchaser at a licensed firearm dealer"

That reads poorly to me. Who is a firearm eligible purchaser at a licensed fire (sic) dealer?
Anyone not prohibited from purchasing a firearm is an eligible purchaser. However, 32000(c)(1) creates an “ineligible” transaction:
Quote:
(c) (1) Notwithstanding Section 26825, a person licensed pursuant to Sections 26700 to 26915, inclusive, shall not process the sale or transfer of an unsafe handgun between a person who has obtained an unsafe handgun pursuant to an exemption specified in paragraph (6) or (7) of subdivision (b) and a person who is not exempt from the requirements of this section.

Last edited by Dvrjon; 06-18-2021 at 9:19 AM..
Old 06-18-2021, 9:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Effective 1/1/2021: Anyone not prohibited from purchasing a firearm is an eligible purchaser. However, 32000(c)(1) creates an “ineligible” transaction:
And so the fact that I am an eligible firearm purchaser and bought the gun from a group one individual I am then an exempt buyer of a group one off roster firearm. I did not buy from a (6) or (7) exempted person. I bought from a (4) group one.

I hate legal-eaze.

Last edited by boattail; 06-18-2021 at 9:35 AM..
Old 06-18-2021, 9:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boattail View Post
And so the fact that I am an eligible firearm purchaser and bought the gun from a group one individual I am then an exempt buyer of a group one off roster firearm.

I hate legal-eaze.
Well...I just know what it says...what specific status it may/may not confer is an open question.

However, if you weren't eligible, the FFL wouldn't have processed....